Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 36 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 19, 2021 18:01

Is anyone seriously taking the four screen comments seriously? Screens 1 and 3 display one image while screens 2 and 4 show another one, then after a few seconds it switches around and everyone knows that.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 19, 2021 18:52

Nikkei
Is anyone seriously taking the four screen comments seriously? Screens 1 and 3 display one image while screens 2 and 4 show another one, then after a few seconds it switches around and everyone knows that.

Not the comment referring to the 4 screens aspect, but yes taking the Charlie has said he'll be back soon portion seriously.

Don't think that BV would say Charlie has said he'll back soon as a joke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 18:53 by Dougratajczak87.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 19, 2021 21:16

If the tour is cancelled or postponed (again), whether or not Charlie will return or not becomes a moot point.
Even if the tour goes ahead as scheduled, I have a hard time believing Charlie will suddenly appear mid -tour to take over on drums.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 19, 2021 21:27

Hairball
If the tour is cancelled or postponed (again), whether or not Charlie will return or not becomes a moot point.
Even if the tour goes ahead as scheduled, I have a hard time believing Charlie will suddenly appear mid -tour to take over on drums.

Something to consider, with the breaks now between Nashville and LA and the break between LA and Minneapolis provides 2 strong opportunities to get back in.

I suspect if he says he will be back soon then sometime in that time frame would be the likely window.

Also then makes sense why Mick said he appreciated Steve stepping in so they could play ALL (caps added by me) the shows this fall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 21:27 by Dougratajczak87.

Date: August 19, 2021 21:33

As with everything, time will tell............

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 20, 2021 04:48

snoopy2
MisterDDDD
treaclefingers
RisingStone
treaclefingers
Well I think it is interesting that if it were Mick, there is no way there would be a show. Not possible.

In the very strict sense of the words, even this wouldn’t be the case.

During the Keith set, Mick leaves the stage, completely off sight.
No one doubts they are “The Rolling Stones”grinning smiley

Still disagree with you. That's when vast amounts of the audience allow themselves the bladder break, as nothing important is going on.

(OUCH! I didn't actually mean that.)

Disagree with the statement that they are not 100% Rolling Stones when Mick takes a break and Keith does one of his classic Stones songs.
(I actually feel sorry for the usually alcohol fueled pisss breaks people have to take at some point in the show, often using Keith's set as a lame excuse.. Who would rather be smelling and looking at a urinal instead of catching Happy or BTMMR or Salt of the Earth et al? No Stones fan worth their salt, that I'm certain of winking smiley

That aside, your argument doesn't hold water winking smiley

I'm a guy who has to take multiple piss breaks but have NEVER had to do it during a Stones show.. How? I limit myself to one beer about an hour pre-show, piss, and then no more until after.. And then I make up for it smiling smiley

Clever, snoopy.

plexi

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 20, 2021 08:33

timbernardis
snoopy2
MisterDDDD
treaclefingers
RisingStone
treaclefingers
Well I think it is interesting that if it were Mick, there is no way there would be a show. Not possible.

Still disagree with you. That's when vast amounts of the audience allow themselves the bladder break, as nothing important is going on.

Disagree with the statement that they are not 100% Rolling Stones when Mick takes a break and Keith does one of his classic Stones songs.
(I actually feel sorry for the usually alcohol fueled pisss breaks people have to take at some point in the show, often using Keith's set as a lame excuse.. Who would rather be smelling and looking at a urinal instead of catching Happy or BTMMR or Salt of the Earth et al? No Stones fan worth their salt, that I'm certain of winking smiley

I'm a guy who has to take multiple piss breaks but have NEVER had to do it during a Stones show.. How? I limit myself to one beer about an hour pre-show, piss, and then no more until after.. And then I make up for it smiling smiley

Clever, snoopy.

plexi

And just for posterity I feel the need to say I've never used the lavatory during a Stones show. Heresy.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 20, 2021 09:06

I assume the current situation is the beginning of the end of the Stones as a touring band. I'm afraid they won't do any major tours anymore. Probably they'll play some concerts here and there when they're invited to do, but I hardly believe that there will be any tours in the future. Charlie and Ronnie have been seriously ill, Charlie's 80, Mick and Keith close to. A fountain of youth is not in sight ...

Do we really expect a gang of guys in their 80s touring again and again, hip shaking and made up? Shall they finally retire? Money can't be the reason to continue. Is it the looking for applause and crowd cheering that drives them? Do they see themselves in the tradition of the old blues musicians who nearly died on stage?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 20, 2021 09:37

I've never used the lavatory during a Stones show.

Shit treacle
What brand of incontinence pads do you wear ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 20, 2021 10:01

Rockman
I've never used the lavatory during a Stones show.

Shit treacle

LOL....personally, the only thing I drink is water (ok, maybe a beer) but have gotten good at holding it for 2-4 hours.

But you better move that line when the show is over or you will experience a fire hydrant gone wild.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 20, 2021 11:00

Rockman

None - sweat it out instead. winking smiley

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 20, 2021 11:25

The thing is - although I don't have a problem with incontinence and I can hold it for a while show no matter how much I've drunken (only water in my case), it's still so much more enjoyable to watch a show with an empty bladder. I'd rather be away for one song and then enjoy the rest of it to the fullest.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 20, 2021 13:35

Where's treacle ....??? ..... we need an answer ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 20, 2021 14:01

If the Stones postponed their US tour" without Charlie", will people believe that the Gods of Rock and Roll vetoed the rescheduled tour?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: August 20, 2021 14:56

Charlie is the canary in the coal mine.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 20, 2021 16:25

PalaisRoyale

Charlie is the canary in the coal mine.

But then he should have warned his colleagues .... (+ Tour cancelled). winking smiley

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: August 20, 2021 17:44

I’ve always joked that I’ll still be going to shows when it’s just mick and Keith sitting on stools at Carnegie hall…
Yet something feels off about this tour without Charlie.

Since I saw them at the Beacon, I’ve had about 5 shows that I told myself this might be the last time. But I do think that August 2019 might truly have been.

Date: August 20, 2021 17:59

HalfNanker
I’ve always joked that I’ll still be going to shows when it’s just mick and Keith sitting on stools at Carnegie hall…
Yet something feels off about this tour without Charlie.

Since I saw them at the Beacon, I’ve had about 5 shows that I told myself this might be the last time. But I do think that August 2019 might truly have been.

Yes - something feels very off about it.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 20, 2021 19:41

Yeah.. can't quite put my finger on it out either confused smiley
Almost like their's a pandemic going on in the midst of it.

Date: August 20, 2021 23:25

Rockman
Where's treacle ....??? ..... we need an answer ....

You're funny Rockee! But you're right, we do need an answer.

plexi

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 21, 2021 00:31

treaclefingers
timbernardis
snoopy2
MisterDDDD
treaclefingers
RisingStone
treaclefingers

Clever, snoopy.

plexi

And just for posterity I feel the need to say I've never used the lavatory during a Stones show. Heresy.

When I buy tickets for any show now, I always try to get aisle seats near the exits, not so much for running to the washroom but for making a fast exit when the concert ends! Only time I had to run to the washroom was for Springsteen back in 2012. Think I missed half of 10th Ave Freezeout standing at the urinal!!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 21, 2021 04:59

z
Naturalust

[...]

3. Because Steve Jordan doesn’t lift his cymbal or hi hat stroke when he plays the snare drum on the backbeats and will never tell Mick or Keith to f-off when they need to be checked.

[...]

Naturalust

Watch this:

Damn, not really surprised, Jordan can do it all. Thanks z. My guess is he learned the technique to play with Keith.

[youtu.be]

Date: August 21, 2021 05:12

timbernardis
Naturalust
The stones have been a nostalgia band propped up with non-Stones for a long time now....so why am I thinking they should cancel the tour without Charlie?

1. Because Charlie is a uniquely amazing drummer who’s style and attitude has defined the roll and longevity of Stones music and is the only member who has kept his sound and chops faithful to the very best of Stones music.

2. Because Keith has tripled down on making us believe the Stones are done without Charlie.

3. Because Steve Jordan doesn’t lift his cymbal or hi hat stroke when he plays the snare drum on the backbeats and will never tell Mick or Keith to f-off when they need to be checked.

4. Because it feels like the nail in the coffin of the cash cow entity being more important than the musical brotherhood that has allowed me to respect the Stones even after hearing them play Brown Sugar dozens of times.

5. Because I know a lot of other bands who could really use the entertainment dollars people will spend on seeing them live again.

6. Because it is the perfect out for the band and allows them to stop (for now) with class and true heart.

7. Because Steve Jordan can probably do an excellent job and could actually take them to a new level but won’t out of respect for Charlie and that means the Stones engine would be somewhat disingenuous in their performance, and at least the musician fans would pick up on that ....and have to be disingenuous themselves trying to convince themselves they are hearing The Rolling Stones.

8. Because Charlie is more Stones than any other member to me and I am sick at heart to think of his health failing.

I hope they figure out what I know ASAP because the legacy is at stake, certainly my undying respect.

Truly,

Naturalust

a little overdramatized and weak diatribe.

plexi

Really? I actually held back, that is just the meat and potatoes of my feelings about it. I just think its unfair to concert goers who pay big bucks and are deprived of the Charlie Watts experience. I've spent hours just watching him at Stones shows, he's special man.At least bring Mick Taylor back for the shows Charlie's missing.... smiling smiley

Date: August 21, 2021 05:12

timbernardis
Naturalust
The stones have been a nostalgia band propped up with non-Stones for a long time now....so why am I thinking they should cancel the tour without Charlie?

1. Because Charlie is a uniquely amazing drummer who’s style and attitude has defined the roll and longevity of Stones music and is the only member who has kept his sound and chops faithful to the very best of Stones music.

2. Because Keith has tripled down on making us believe the Stones are done without Charlie.

4. Because it feels like the nail in the coffin of the cash cow entity being more important than the musical brotherhood that has allowed me to respect the Stones even after hearing them play Brown Sugar dozens of times.

5. Because I know a lot of other bands who could really use the entertainment dollars people will spend on seeing them live again.

6. Because it is the perfect out for the band and allows them to stop (for now) with class and true heart.

7. Because Steve Jordan can probably do an excellent job and could actually take them to a new level but won’t out of respect for Charlie and that means the Stones engine would be somewhat disingenuous in their performance, and at least the musician fans would pick up on that ....and have to be disingenuous themselves trying to convince themselves they are hearing The Rolling Stones.

8. Because Charlie is more Stones than any other member to me and I am sick at heart to think of his health failing.

I hope they figure out what I know ASAP because the legacy is at stake, certainly my undying respect.

Truly,

Naturalust

plexi

Really? I actually held back, that is just the meat and potatoes of my feelings about it. I just think its unfair to concert goers who pay big bucks and are deprived of the Charlie Watts experience. I've spent hours just watching him at Stones shows, he's special man.At least bring Mick Taylor back for the shows Charlie's missing.... smiling smiley

Date: August 21, 2021 05:37

"...the Charlie Watts experience" will be missed by many if this tour goes forward....hard to imagine the Stones without him....

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 21, 2021 05:40

Naturalust
timbernardis

plexi

Really?

Yes, Really.

Except "little" was being extremely generous.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 21, 2021 06:54

DGA35
treaclefingers
timbernardis
snoopy2
MisterDDDD
treaclefingers
RisingStone
treaclefingers

Clever, snoopy.

plexi

When I buy tickets for any show now, I always try to get aisle seats near the exits, not so much for running to the washroom but for making a fast exit when the concert ends! Only time I had to run to the washroom was for Springsteen back in 2012. Think I missed half of 10th Ave Freezeout standing at the urinal!!

I always try to get aisles myself only because I can’t stand being crushed by people on both sides who don’t know how to not use the arm rests or men who feel the need to spread wide the whole time whilst not standing.

And to go on record I’ve never used the bathroom during any Stones concert and I believe only once ever during my almost 30 years of concert attending. I just don’t drink much before showtime, per before taking my seat and I’m good to go. We’re only talking 2.5 hours here folks. At most.

Date: August 21, 2021 08:12

Naturalust
timbernardis
Naturalust

Truly,

Naturalust

plexi

It's true the man is a god. They will not be the same without him. Hopefully he is back next year.

plexi

Date: August 21, 2021 09:37

MisterDDDD
Naturalust
timbernardis

plexi

Really?

Yes, Really.

Except "little" was being extremely generous.

If it was Keith with some competent guitarist taking over for him for a few shows the drama would be intense. I just think that Charlie is such an essential part of the Stones that it is ludicrous to perform as The Rolling Stones without him, for a single show. Otherwise it just cheapens the whole legacy for me. Perhaps they could bill as Stones and Co., it would be a fun show, but they just aren't The Rolling Stones without Charlie.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: August 21, 2021 14:42

The Stones without CW are a RR band but not the Rolling Stones...
I'm glad, that I have seen them so many times...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 36 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home