Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 35 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 18, 2021 19:12

The 2017 tour was never postponed in that sense of the word. They might have had different plans but it happened as announced. What's happening now can only be rationalized with the one-year delay due to the pandemic situation. On my watch they only get away with this because it's something they never planned for.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 18, 2021 19:19

Rokyfan
TheBluesHadaBaby
All the LED screen talk reminded me of another thought I don't think I've seen here yet.

At every show, maybe during the band introductions, I fully expect for Charlie to be projected onto the screens in a brief but live (complete with the usual annoying but minor dialogue delays) video chat with the boys and Steve, and a brief hello-how-are-you to the crowds. Hopefully he'll be able to see us like we see him, so he'll see what he's missing.

Charlie will confirm he's doing better. Tell us he hates not being there playing, but will stress what good hands the shows are in with Steve. And so forth, all in the course of conversing with the official representative of the 50,000 of us, Mick. During which we'll witness that, yes, it is Charlie live and not a pre-recorded vid. That he can hear us, and experience a little crowd noise from us.

Maybe three minutes, and done. Nothing fancy.

What will be the point? We'll see Charlie! He'll see us! He'll get to feel a little vicarious involvement in the night. Everybody will feel better, will be the point.

It also reassures everybody that Charlie is recovering... we see it for ourselves... and signals that yes he is still a Rolling Stone and will return to touring soon.

About the time differences, yes I know Charlie is a man who likes his set hours and routines, including bedtime. And that 10 PM in, say, Dallas, is 4 AM in England. So the little live video appearances will be an inconvenience for him roughly once every four days. But I think he'll be happy to do them anyway. They'll be for him, too. He's going to feel antsy being home while for the first time in his life the rest of the Rolling Stones are on tour without him. The little live video drop-ins will let him feel more connected to it.

And if he recovers well enough, who knows, he may wind up doing only half a tour of these wee hours video calls before he actually starts turning up at concerts... maybe about Vegas, or Dallas, or Tampa... and even drumming on a couple of songs per show. (See that wild speculation a page or two back).

As satire, the post is quite good. But I think you might be serious.

Like Charlie would ever be a part of such a lame-ass idea, a video chat into a concert (or playing on a song or two or a hologram or anything else other than staying home in England).

He's not there, he's not playing, he doesn't want any applause at shows he's not at, nor does he want to step on the musicians who are playing, i.e. Jordan. He has too much class for any of these ideas.

Just my opinion.

Not only your opinion. That's exactly the point. How come that anybody thinks Charlie would even think of participating in soap operas like the one above?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 18, 2021 19:23

Maybe it was satire after all. smiling smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 18, 2021 19:28

TheGreek
I just don't get how Mick and Keith can do this !

Because they all (including Charlie) might agree that they're not willing to pay any Dollar they have already cashed in back in case the insurance will not pay?

Because they also feel some kind of responsibility for all the other people involved to stage a Stones show and may be in desperate need for this job after this COVID-mess?

People, grow up! It's not all about the glory. The real world is a bit, ehm, different.

Date: August 18, 2021 19:43

Yes. In fact, it's not about "how can Mick and Keith do this" - they have to do it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 18, 2021 20:01

RisingStone
treaclefingers
Well I think it is interesting that if it were Mick, there is no way there would be a show. Not possible.

In the very strict sense of the words, even this wouldn’t be the case.

During the Keith set, Mick leaves the stage, completely off sight.
No one doubts they are “The Rolling Stones”grinning smiley

Still disagree with you. That's when vast amounts of the audience allow themselves the bladder break, as nothing important is going on.

(OUCH! I didn't actually mean that.)

Date: August 18, 2021 20:05

I just had a horrifying thought. NOW, when Mick leaves the stage, there will be more original X-Pensive Wino's members on stage than original Rolling Stones members.

Yikes!

(Also, more original New Barbarians members).

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 18, 2021 20:17

Haha if you want to get into counting who is on stage and how many, look at the horn section from 89-90 [youtu.be] I see five people there, Bobby Keys not being one of them. That's a whole other band right there. And don't get me started on their choreography. Did they come up with that or were they required to do it? Yikes!

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: August 18, 2021 20:31

Rokyfan
TheBluesHadaBaby
All the LED screen talk reminded me of another thought I don't think I've seen here yet.

At every show, maybe during the band introductions, I fully expect for Charlie to be projected onto the screens in a brief but live (complete with the usual annoying but minor dialogue delays) video chat with the boys and Steve, and a brief hello-how-are-you to the crowds. Hopefully he'll be able to see us like we see him, so he'll see what he's missing.

Charlie will confirm he's doing better. Tell us he hates not being there playing, but will stress what good hands the shows are in with Steve. And so forth, all in the course of conversing with the official representative of the 50,000 of us, Mick. During which we'll witness that, yes, it is Charlie live and not a pre-recorded vid. That he can hear us, and experience a little crowd noise from us.

Maybe three minutes, and done. Nothing fancy.

What will be the point? We'll see Charlie! He'll see us! He'll get to feel a little vicarious involvement in the night. Everybody will feel better, will be the point.

It also reassures everybody that Charlie is recovering... we see it for ourselves... and signals that yes he is still a Rolling Stone and will return to touring soon.

About the time differences, yes I know Charlie is a man who likes his set hours and routines, including bedtime. And that 10 PM in, say, Dallas, is 4 AM in England. So the little live video appearances will be an inconvenience for him roughly once every four days. But I think he'll be happy to do them anyway. They'll be for him, too. He's going to feel antsy being home while for the first time in his life the rest of the Rolling Stones are on tour without him. The little live video drop-ins will let him feel more connected to it.

And if he recovers well enough, who knows, he may wind up doing only half a tour of these wee hours video calls before he actually starts turning up at concerts... maybe about Vegas, or Dallas, or Tampa... and even drumming on a couple of songs per show. (See that wild speculation a page or two back).

As satire, the post is quite good. But I think you might be serious.

Like Charlie would ever be a part of such a lame-ass idea, a video chat into a concert (or playing on a song or two or a hologram or anything else other than staying home in England).

He's not there, he's not playing, he doesn't want any applause at shows he's not at, nor does he want to step on the musicians who are playing, i.e. Jordan. He has too much class for any of these ideas.

Just my opinion.

Nope, not satire.smiling smiley

Are you having a good tiiiiiime??
One of Mick's regular questions. Nobody but very hardcore Stones fans, I don't believe, would regard this as somehow beneath the band, as too... undignified, or something. These entertainers/musicians/travelling minstrels, who've posed on the street in drag, who've worn some awful get-ups... old lady head scarfs, onstage. Who've adorned their set with giant inflatable dolls. And a big inflatable penis. This would be too un-serious for them?

Are you having fun is the question. For several IORRers, this wouldn't be fun. Okay. For 10s of 1000s of others in the stadium, in my lame-ass opinion, it would be.

It's a unique and worrisome thing, a Rolling Stones tour without Charlie. People want to see and hear from him. You've got the technology at hand. Let 'em! They're not interrupting the flow of the show if that's already paused for band introductions. As for "stepping on" Steve Jordan, Charlie would praise him to the skies. Steve would be completely cool with it.

So, I just don't agree they wouldn't deign to do it. Too... melodramatic? The Stones long lives -- well, 3 of 'em -- have been spiced with melodrama throughout.

Would it add to the good time, is the question. For several of you, it definitely would not. But, as we regularly acknowledge, the posters on this board do not a 50,000 person audience make.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: August 18, 2021 20:42

If Charlie live-streams at 4am I hope he's in his pajamas! That would be as fun as the socks

Date: August 18, 2021 20:49

Have Bill join in on the Zoom call while you're at it. And Mick Taylor. If it's three minutes, they will get a minute each.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-18 20:50 by Topi.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 18, 2021 20:50

snoopy2

If Charlie live-streams at 4am I hope he's in his pajamas!

And he would be without any drum kit since Charlie doesn't play drums at home ....

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 18, 2021 20:51

Topi
TheGreek
'

Also , when Mick feel ill due to his heart the tour was postponed until he was better and fit to carry on . So what is different now besides one is the front man / vocalist and the other keeps the beat on the drums ? What was the hurry during the Pandemic that the once already delayed tour be delayed yet again so that there mate would be ready and fit to go ? What am I missing besides the obvious $ . I am not going to say there is a sense of urgency for obvious reasons . I just don't get how Mick and Keith can do this !

TheGreek, as GlimmerGirl24 pointed out, the contracts say that Charlie and Ronnie can be replaced. Mick and Keith can not. This is why they postponed due to Mick's health issue, but won't/can't postpone because of Charlie.

(I know, in 2017 the European tour was postponed due to Ronnie's cancer, but perhaps in that case it was easier to do so, as venues were available in the fall and all parties agreed)

Also, there's pretty much nowhere to postpone the US tour to at this point. They can't play stadiums in the wintertime. They had to do it it now.
I do understand that and can appreciate the logistics of this endeavor .

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 18, 2021 20:53

retired_dog
TheGreek
I just don't get how Mick and Keith can do this !

Because they all (including Charlie) might agree that they're not willing to pay any Dollar they have already cashed in back in case the insurance will not pay?

Because they also feel some kind of responsibility for all the other people involved to stage a Stones show and may be in desperate need for this job after this COVID-mess?

People, grow up! It's not all about the glory. The real world is a bit, ehm, different.
That's just rich

Date: August 18, 2021 20:55

Irix
snoopy2

If Charlie live-streams at 4am I hope he's in his pajamas!

And he would be without any drum kit since Charlie doesn't play drums at home ....

That would be sweet !

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 18, 2021 21:12

treaclefingers
RisingStone
treaclefingers
Well I think it is interesting that if it were Mick, there is no way there would be a show. Not possible.

Still disagree with you. That's when vast amounts of the audience allow themselves the bladder break, as nothing important is going on.

Disagree with the statement that they are not 100% Rolling Stones when Mick takes a break and Keith does one of his classic Stones songs.
(I actually feel sorry for the usually alcohol fueled pisss breaks people have to take at some point in the show, often using Keith's set as a lame excuse.. Who would rather be smelling and looking at a urinal instead of catching Happy or BTMMR or Salt of the Earth et al? No Stones fan worth their salt, that I'm certain of winking smiley

That aside, your argument doesn't hold water winking smiley

Date: August 18, 2021 21:16

MisterDDDD
treaclefingers
RisingStone
treaclefingers

Disagree with the statement that they are not 100% Rolling Stones when Mick takes a break and Keith does one of his classic Stones songs.
(I actually feel sorry for the usually alcohol fueled pisss breaks people have to take at some point in the show, often using Keith's set as a lame excuse.. Who would rather be smelling and looking at a urinal instead of catching Happy or BTMMR or Salt of the Earth et al? No Stones fan worth their salt, that I'm certain of winking smiley

I'm a guy who has to take multiple piss breaks but have NEVER had to do it during a Stones show.. How? I limit myself to one beer about an hour pre-show, piss, and then no more until after.. And then I make up for it smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 18, 2021 22:02

treaclefingers
I just had a horrifying thought. NOW, when Mick leaves the stage, there will be more original X-Pensive Wino's members on stage than original Rolling Stones members.

Yikes!

Damn. Just thinking the contrast that sight (and sound) will have in compared to the band that once conquered the world back in the 60's... Only the guitarist from that band and him now doing... hmm... lead vocals, surrounded by an army of some other people... tell the first timer who finally got to see the legends that 'yes, this is the band that once did "Satisfaction"'...

I think one doesn't need to be His Majesty to reasonably ask is this really The Rolling Stones or does name actually connotate anything any longer...

But it still can be good music, though.

So, on with the show. It's Only Rock'n'Roll. Or something.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-18 22:04 by Doxa.

Date: August 18, 2021 22:21

Doxa
treaclefingers

Yikes!

Damn. Just thinking the contrast that sight (and sound) will have in compared to the band that once conquered the world back in the 60's... Only the guitarist from that band and him now doing... hmm... lead vocals, surrounded by an army of some other people... tell the first timer who finally got to see the legends that 'yes, this is the band that once did "Satisfaction"'...

I think one doesn't need to be His Majesty to reasonably ask is this really The Rolling Stones or does name actually connotate anything any longer...

But it still can be good music, though.

So, on with the show. It's Only Rock'n'Roll. Or something.

- Doxa

If memory serves, it's "good health to you". And good health to all of us!

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: August 18, 2021 23:27

Just saw that on Amazon

[www.amazon.ca]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 18, 2021 23:40

daniel t

[www.amazon.ca]

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 18, 2021 23:42

snoopy2
MisterDDDD
treaclefingers
RisingStone
treaclefingers

I'm a guy who has to take multiple piss breaks but have NEVER had to do it during a Stones show.. How? I limit myself to one beer about an hour pre-show, piss, and then no more until after.. And then I make up for it smiling smiley
I am always amazed to read about people going to piss during the concert, ok ... there are people who for medical reasons cannot do without it, but I don't think this is the case.
Once when you went to a concert and you were there in the crowd, it didn't even occur to you to go pissing, today they are organized differently, but I don't ... if I really escape (I drink a lot of beer) I fill empty bottles on the spot, but I don't miss a minute of the concert!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 18, 2021 23:52

daniel t
Just saw that on Amazon

[www.amazon.ca]

Same shirt $19.99 US
[teeshirt21.com]

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 19, 2021 03:25

i had a thought that i wanted to run by everyone now i've gathered from those that know the contracts that neither mick or keith could go out without the other and perform as the rolling stones but (and i think this is the likley scenerio) what if keith retires and gives mick the ok to continue as the stones by himself with ronnie and probably jordan by then how likely is this to happen i mean mick doesn't strike me as being in anyway near to wanting to stop there is just to much money connected to the rolling stones as a touring band that he could not generate as a solo artist and since as many point out its the name rolling stones and mick that sell tickets i imagine he'll keep this going in some way into his early to mid eighties with or with out charlie/keith/or ronnie

i'm torn because in my heart i know this is probably whats coming but what would comfort me is if keith, ronnie, and charlie had significant input in there replacemnets (hopefully and likley former stones or former stones associates) and still recieved the money they deserve from these shows

i mean i wouldn't think of it as the stones per se but maybe i could grow to like it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 03:27 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 19, 2021 06:59

dcba
DandelionPowderman

Or Jordan will do the final bow with a Charlie t-shirt...

... in "whiteface" make-up? smoking smiley
grinning smiley

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 19, 2021 10:37

Nikkei
look at the horn section from 89-90. I see five people there, Bobby Keys not being one of them.

The horn section at the time was Bobby plus The Uptown Horns.
Bobby’s definitely one of the five in the clip.

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: August 19, 2021 14:22

One thing I know: Steve Jordan can't play Tumbling Dice like Charlie does. Prove me wrong, Steve.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 19, 2021 17:04

is there an update on his health-status?

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 19, 2021 17:31

snoopy2
MisterDDDD
treaclefingers
RisingStone
treaclefingers

This has accident written all over it: Stadium Pal

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 19, 2021 17:56

stickyfingers101
is there an update on his health-status?

A couple pages back BV indicated that Charlie has said he'll be back soon

(implied prior to tour end as BV said they need to keep the 4th screen for this tour based on Charlie saying he'd back soon (in response to discussion about how 4 screens would/could be used))

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 35 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1590
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home