Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 33 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 16, 2021 19:46

Sometimes it seems that here we want to complicate very simple things.
The initial bow will give with fellow officers Mick, Keith and Ronnie, the second with everyone else.
Just thinking that Ronnie doesn't have to be with the official band is just a disrespect and I'm sure both Mick and Keith would never do that.
By the way, if it weren't for Ronnie rehabilitated from alcohol and drugs, there would be nothing left after 2007.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 16, 2021 19:58

Maybe it's a very simple thing but you got it the wrong way round anyhow

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 17, 2021 00:11

bv
There are some really strange comments here. I am surprised that I haven't seen any comments about the 4th screen yet.

I was thinking about that recently, if they go to only 3 screens...

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: August 17, 2021 00:15

What if they go to 2.5 screens?

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 17, 2021 00:22

Testify
Sometimes it seems that here we want to complicate very simple things.
The initial bow will give with fellow officers Mick, Keith and Ronnie, the second with everyone else.
Just thinking that Ronnie doesn't have to be with the official band is just a disrespect and I'm sure both Mick and Keith would never do that.
By the way, if it weren't for Ronnie rehabilitated from alcohol and drugs, there would be nothing left after 2007.

Ronnie's a Rolling Stone, no way he wouldn't be part of the final bow.

And I agree, he's been on fire since he's been sober.

Like a lot of folks I still think of him as the new guy (despite being in the band 45 years!), and a former bass player who became a lead guitarist (though really he was sort of forced into bass as Jeff Beck didn't need a 2nd guitarist), and after the 50th anniversary tour I thought Zipcode might be letdown, but it seemed to inspire him to work harder and it seemed to be some of his best playing ever! So I'm looking forward to what he might do on this tour since adversity seems to make him stronger and they're certainly facing adversity on this tour.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: August 17, 2021 01:31

Since Charlie is out they should have Chuck stand in for him on the final bows. He's been with the band for almost 40 years and from a seat way up in the stadium hardly anyone will notice.

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: August 17, 2021 02:50

I'm hoping when Mick, Keith and Ronnie take the final bow they put a picture of Charlie on the video screens.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: August 17, 2021 03:33

treaclefingers
wonderboy
Get used to it. This is how it's going to end. There won't be a last show and a final bow. One of the remaining three will be unable to carry on and it will be over.

RE: "One of remaining 3 not able to carry on"

If it's Mick, I vote they get either Steven Tyler or Britney Spears to replace him (she's already done Satisfaction to much acclaim).

If it's Keith, I vote Joe Perry or Johnny Depp (keep the pirate thing going).

If it's Ronnie...well let's face it they can't do it without Ronnie, you got me there.

Treacle, from where I sat in Jacksonville in 2019, they've already done shows without Keith (or without ALL of Keith)! They can always reach back for Mick Taylor ......

Does anyone else remember Keith's words from 1993 (or so) when Darryl got the gig to the effect of "We'll miss Bill, but if Charlie ever goes, that's the Rolling Stones."

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: August 17, 2021 06:11

Chester
He'll be missing from the final bow, sad if this is goodbye to the States.

I said the same thing eight days ago, and not one person responded.

Someone else says it, and it's a lively discussion.

I've always said I was the most insignificant person on social media!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 17, 2021 06:41

So you folks got the grave all dug and are just waiting for the hearse to pull up?

jb

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 17, 2021 07:11

Stonesstein, the thing is, Charlie isn't gone for good. He's being replaced temporarily because of a health issue. He didn't leave the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-17 07:12 by Topi.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 17, 2021 07:13

Yes, it seems many are suspecting the worst for Charlie. I believe the official
announcement stated he was expected to have a full recovery. Concern is understandable. However, let’s remember to keep a positive outlook for Charlie.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 17, 2021 08:41

Right. Don't believe anything beyond what has been announced unless you have definite proof otherwise. If you think that what has been announced is questionable, PROVE IT!!!

plexi

Drummer Steve Jordan's Rolling Stones Credentials
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 17, 2021 11:36

Drummer Steve Jordan's Rolling Stones Credentials

Great photo by Paul Nankin

The Rolling Stones could have handpicked anyone to sub in for drummer Charlie Watts, who is “unlikely to be available” for the band’s fall 2021 tour while recuperating from a successful “procedure.” And while their selection, Steve Jordan, probably isn’t a household name for most rock fans, it’s hard to imagine a more worthy — or logical — candidate.

For one, Jordan’s rock resume speaks for itself. As a drummer, producer or songwriter (occasionally all three in the same gig), he’s worked with Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, B.B. King, Stevie Nicks, John Mayer, Don Henley, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Billy Joel, John Mellencamp, Donald Fagen, Rod Stewart — it’s almost easier to cite the artists outside his network.

And his Stones connections run deep, having first entered their orbit during the recording of 1986’s Dirty Work. “When we were cutting [the record] in Paris, the drummer Steve Jordan came to hang out in the studio, and then played on the album, filling in for Charlie, who was having a wobble of his own, carried away for a time on various stupefiants, as the French have it,” Richards wrote in his 2010 memoir, Life, noting that the “very gifted all-around musician and singer” was then on leave from his job in David Letterman’s Late Night house band.

“Charlie had picked him out as a drummer back in 1978 when he was playing on Saturday Night Live and remembered him.”

The Richards-Jordan collaboration organically built from there: After Watts was unavailable to take part in Taylor Hackford’s 1987 Chuck Berry concert documentary, Hail! Hail! Rock ’n’ Roll, Jordan took over the spot, playing in an all-star band featuring Richards, Berry, Clapton and Rolling Stones collaborators Bobby Keys (saxophone) and Chuck Leavell (keyboards).

Richards was so pleased that he recruited the drummer that same year for another project: playing on Aretha Franklin's cover of “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” which appeared in the Whoopi Goldberg comedy movie of the same name. And Watts' continual praise was also crucial, ultimately leading to an even higher profile job for Jordan. “At that time in the '80s, Charlie Watts had said to me, ‘It looks like there’s going to be a bit of a break coming up [for the Stones]. And if you’re going to work with anybody else, Steve Jordan’s your man,’” Richards told Rolling Stone in 2020, detailing the formation of his backing band the X-Pensive Winos.

That group debuted on the guitarist’s first solo LP, 1988’s Talk Is Cheap, with Jordan serving as drummer, cowriter and coproducer.

“What I didn’t realize when Steve and I did get together was that we could also blossom into songwriting and much more areas than I expected,” Richards added. “So I was just taking one drummer’s advice about another drummer at the time. But once Steve and I started working, we realized that we had a lot more room to maneuver. And that we could stand each other.”

Promoting Talk Is Cheap to Rolling Stone back in 1988, Richards enthused about his new creative relationship with Jordan. “I managed to do some of the things that with the Stones I’d say, ‘Nah, can’t do that. Too complicated,’” he said. “I realized this writing with Steve Jordan. That was the other great thing: that I found somebody else to work with. To me, teamwork is important.”

Jordan served the same triple-threat role on Richards’ two subsequent solo records, 1992’s Main Offender and 2015’s Crosseyed Heart. In a video interview for the latter album, Richards called the project "a Jordan/Richards collaboration from the beginning.” (Their chemistry also led to "Almost Hear You Sigh," a minor hit single — cowritten by Jordan, Richard and Mick Jagger — from the Rolling Stones' 1989 LP, Steel Wheels.) Given Jordan's friendship with Richards and Watts, becoming a temporary Stone feels fitting.

“It is an absolute honor and a privilege to be Charlie’s understudy, and I am looking forward to rehearsing with Mick, Keith and Ronnie [Wood]," Jordan said in a statement. "No one will be happier than me to give up my seat on the drum riser as soon as Charlie tells me he is good to go.”

Read More: Drummer Steve Jordan's Rolling Stones Credentials | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: August 17, 2021 12:47

Chester
Chester
He'll be missing from the final bow, sad if this is goodbye to the States.

I said the same thing eight days ago, and not one person responded.

Someone else says it, and it's a lively discussion.

I've always said I was the most insignificant person on social media!

You should take a different view on that: you were way ahead of everyone else

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 17, 2021 13:05

They must have four screens like before, because Charlie says he will be back soon.

Bjornulf

Date: August 17, 2021 13:17

timbernardis
Right. Don't believe anything beyond what has been announced unless you have definite proof otherwise. If you think that what has been announced is questionable, PROVE IT!!!

plexi

It might be hard for somebody like GlimmerGirl24 to show "definite proof" of what she has learned from her inside sources without compromising them.

If what GG24 says is true, and they already hired Steve Jordan in July, it doesn't necessarily make the band's August statement completely untrue, but it certainly raises questions about 1) when the band knew about Charlie's issue and 2) when they chose to go public with it.

The same goes for other inside info, too. For example, BV says Europe venues have been booked for 2022. Do we ask BV to "PROVE IT!" in all caps or do we take his word for it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-17 13:24 by Topi.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 17, 2021 13:35

stonesstein
treaclefingers
wonderboy
Get used to it. This is how it's going to end. There won't be a last show and a final bow. One of the remaining three will be unable to carry on and it will be over.

If it's Mick, I vote they get either Steven Tyler or Britney Spears to replace him (she's already done Satisfaction to much acclaim).

If it's Ronnie...well let's face it they can't do it without Ronnie, you got me there.

Treacle, from where I sat in Jacksonville in 2019, they've already done shows without Keith (or without ALL of Keith)! They can always reach back for Mick Taylor ......

Does anyone else remember Keith's words from 1993 (or so) when Darryl got the gig to the effect of "We'll miss Bill, but if Charlie ever goes, that's the Rolling Stones."
I certainly haven't forgotten that comment at all . So integrity and business don't mix ? (dumb question and I feel naive writting that as well )

Date: August 17, 2021 13:36

jbwelda
So you folks got the grave all dug and are just waiting for the hearse to pull up?

jb
yeah , how did you know ? ( oh as an aside none of us are immune to the undertaker you know )

Date: August 17, 2021 13:37

They certainly don't always mix, but I repeat: my understanding is that in the 1993 quote, Keith was talking about Charlie quitting permanently, not temporarily. There's a difference.

Date: August 17, 2021 13:40

I also want to clearly say that I like Steve Jordan and feel he is a tremondous drummer ! No if and's or but's !

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: August 17, 2021 15:36

bv
They must have four screens like before, because Charlie says he will be back soon.

The plot thickens......

Date: August 17, 2021 15:44

cmc
bv

The plot thickens......
Indeed! Prediction: Charlie makes his return in Tampa.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: August 18, 2021 01:21

So, the No Charlie announcement was Aug. 4. Barely, but Aug. 4. 14 days ago now.

How long after Aug 4 do we think the conspiracy theory crowd will insist Paul Is Dead... but Charlie instead of Paul? Somewhere... Reddit, QAnon, wherever. And then when Charlie comes back, "That's not him! That's a body double!"

People insist American government is secretly run by Lizard People hybrids of human and space alien dna. So I anticipate this. Almost surprised we haven't seen it yet actually. The loons seem off their game.

Maybe we should do a betting pool for when our "Paul Is Dead" shows up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-18 01:22 by TheBluesHadaBaby.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 18, 2021 01:34

They have been using a body double for a couple decades now. And the rest of them are actually insects who have taken over once-human bodies. I read it on the interwebs. And now you did too.

jb

Date: August 18, 2021 01:38

You wanna bet how long it takes us to come up with a bogus theory you just came up with?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 18, 2021 01:43

stonesstein
treaclefingers
wonderboy

Ha ha...I had the exact same observation in Seattle 2019. Made me a little sad actually. Mick and Ronnie were on fire though.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 18, 2021 01:53

jbwelda
They have been using a body double for a couple decades now. And the rest of them are actually insects who have taken over once-human bodies.

Don't they say that only cockroaches and Keith Richards would survive a nuclear war? Now it suddenly makes sense ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue outthumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 18, 2021 01:57

TheGreek
stonesstein
treaclefingers
wonderboy

I certainly haven't forgotten that comment at all . So integrity and business don't mix ? (dumb question and I feel naive writting that as well )

Perhaps the weakest and lamest of reasons to be criticizing having someone sit in for Charlie on this leg.

The context, after Bill quit, is crystal clear.
He's obviously referring to Charlie leaving the band for good.

Which, by ALL accounts, is not this.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: August 18, 2021 02:11

Nikkei
You wanna bet how long it takes us to come up with a bogus theory you just came up with?

"a bogus theory (I) came up with"?
You seem confused on a key element of such theories. They are wrong ideas advanced by people who believe them to be true.

I'm anticipating when some such crazy or very gullible people might be claiming this.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 33 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home