Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 14, 2021 15:00

bye bye johnny
MisterDDDD
This has Charlie's blessing, with the assurance that he will be back "before the end of the year".

While the widely quoted article from The Sun noted "later this year", Charlie's "official" statement makes no mention of that.

[twitter.com]

Not exactly seeing the point.

Loads of stuff the article has that the official statement doesn't.
Ones an article, one's a statement.

Not really relevant, but it's clear his plan is to return.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 14, 2021 15:41

I guess if Charlie had wanted to leave the Stones, he would have declared it publicly, as did Bill.
The fact that he has told of bad timing, due to his health problems, it is evident that he has no intention of leaving.
It's funny how people always try to distort reality.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 14, 2021 16:20

MisterDDDD
bye bye johnny
MisterDDDD
This has Charlie's blessing, with the assurance that he will be back "before the end of the year".

While the widely quoted article from The Sun noted "later this year", Charlie's "official" statement makes no mention of that.

[twitter.com]

Point was simply that neither the official statement or subsequent comments from Mick, Keith and Ronnie's social media said that.

The Sun got a leaked copy of the official statement and built their "WORLD EXCLUSIVE" story around it.

Will reiterate best wishes for Charlie's speedy recovery.

Date: August 14, 2021 18:12

bye bye johnny
MisterDDDD
bye bye johnny
MisterDDDD

[twitter.com]

Point was simply that neither the official statement or subsequent comments from Mick, Keith and Ronnie's social media said that.

The Sun got a leaked copy of the official statement and built their "WORLD EXCLUSIVE" story around it.

Will reiterate best wishes for Charlie's speedy recovery.

Ok.
The individual statements from the band state similar, if that sits better.

Will reiterate my question of relevance.
Point being he plans to return, regardless of the semantics, or who stated it, or if they have additional plans this year or next.

"Mick Jagger said, “We really look forward to welcoming Charlie back as soon as he is fully recovered. Thank you to our friend Steve Jordan for stepping in, so we can still play all the shows for you this fall.”

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 14, 2021 18:18

The stones have been a nostalgia band propped up with non-Stones for a long time now....so why am I thinking they should cancel the tour without Charlie?

1. Because Charlie is a uniquely amazing drummer who’s style and attitude has defined the roll and longevity of Stones music and is the only member who has kept his sound and chops faithful to the very best of Stones music.

2. Because Keith has tripled down on making us believe the Stones are done without Charlie.

3. Because Steve Jordan doesn’t lift his cymbal or hi hat stroke when he plays the snare drum on the backbeats and will never tell Mick or Keith to f-off when they need to be checked.

4. Because it feels like the nail in the coffin of the cash cow entity being more important than the musical brotherhood that has allowed me to respect the Stones even after hearing them play Brown Sugar dozens of times.

5. Because I know a lot of other bands who could really use the entertainment dollars people will spend on seeing them live again.

6. Because it is the perfect out for the band and allows them to stop (for now) with class and true heart.

7. Because Steve Jordan can probably do an excellent job and could actually take them to a new level but won’t out of respect for Charlie and that means the Stones engine would be somewhat disingenuous in their performance, and at least the musician fans would pick up on that ....and have to be disingenuous themselves trying to convince themselves they are hearing The Rolling Stones.

8. Because Charlie is more Stones than any other member to me and I am sick at heart to think of his health failing.

I hope they figure out what I know ASAP because the legacy is at stake, certainly my undying respect.

Truly,

Naturalust

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 14, 2021 18:25

Hopefully Charlie fully recovers in time for the 60th anniversary next year.

Date: August 14, 2021 18:47

I believe everyone pretty much can agree that celebrating their 60th is a huge milestone and very important to all of them.

Part of the reason, I believe, we should be rallying around them and support this decision to move forward with this leg with Charlie sidelined.
If it were (as it still very well may be) a "lost" tour, I think the odds of the 60th tour and celebrations happening go down significantly.

Keep the wheels turning, we are close to the end and I don't want to be robbed of a minute, much less a tour and what promises to be an historic finale.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: August 14, 2021 20:46

Would Keith would be up to it if another fallow year ? Best to be on the road this year perhaps to keep the cogs turning

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 14, 2021 20:51

Hairball
Hopefully Charlie fully recovers in time for the 60th anniversary next year.

+1

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 14, 2021 21:11

MisterDDDD
I believe everyone pretty much can agree that celebrating their 60th is a huge milestone and very important to all of them.

Part of the reason, I believe, we should be rallying around them and support this decision to move forward with this leg with Charlie sidelined.
If it were (as it still very well may be) a "lost" tour, I think the odds of the 60th tour and celebrations happening go down significantly.

Keep the wheels turning, we are close to the end and I don't want to be robbed of a minute, much less a tour and what promises to be an historic finale.

still a projection to say that next year is the finale.

plexi

Date: August 14, 2021 21:13

For the past several years Keith has been the healthiest Stone. The good Lord continues to shine a light on him.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Date: August 14, 2021 21:13

Naturalust
The stones have been a nostalgia band propped up with non-Stones for a long time now....so why am I thinking they should cancel the tour without Charlie?

1. Because Charlie is a uniquely amazing drummer who’s style and attitude has defined the roll and longevity of Stones music and is the only member who has kept his sound and chops faithful to the very best of Stones music.

2. Because Keith has tripled down on making us believe the Stones are done without Charlie.

3. Because Steve Jordan doesn’t lift his cymbal or hi hat stroke when he plays the snare drum on the backbeats and will never tell Mick or Keith to f-off when they need to be checked.

4. Because it feels like the nail in the coffin of the cash cow entity being more important than the musical brotherhood that has allowed me to respect the Stones even after hearing them play Brown Sugar dozens of times.

5. Because I know a lot of other bands who could really use the entertainment dollars people will spend on seeing them live again.

6. Because it is the perfect out for the band and allows them to stop (for now) with class and true heart.

7. Because Steve Jordan can probably do an excellent job and could actually take them to a new level but won’t out of respect for Charlie and that means the Stones engine would be somewhat disingenuous in their performance, and at least the musician fans would pick up on that ....and have to be disingenuous themselves trying to convince themselves they are hearing The Rolling Stones.

8. Because Charlie is more Stones than any other member to me and I am sick at heart to think of his health failing.

I hope they figure out what I know ASAP because the legacy is at stake, certainly my undying respect.

Truly,

Naturalust

a little overdramatized and weak diatribe.

plexi

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 14, 2021 21:30

Naturalust

[...]

[...]

Naturalust

Watch this:

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 14, 2021 21:33

I don't get the drama here. No one here calls the shots. If you don't fancy the band without Charlie, fine, just don't go to the concerts. Problem solved. They are in their 80s soon.
What they do by now doesn't matter to me that much. They have been on overtime for quite a while now. It is what it is: 60s and 70s nostalgia for a rich, older audience.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 14, 2021 21:43

Stoneage
I don't get the drama here. No one here calls the shots. If you don't fancy the band without Charlie, fine, just don't go to the concerts. Problem solved. They are in their 80s soon.
What they do by now doesn't matter to me that much. They have been on overtime for quite a while now. It is what it is: 60s and 70s nostalgia for a rich, older audience.

You don't get the drama here?

We're a bunch of (mostly) middle to older aged men with clearly too much time on their hands spending hours goofing around like nerds on the ultimate Stones fansite.

We examine every minutia of stones detail from songs, concerts, bootlegs, fashions, photos, family, health, politics (though we shouldn't), and so on.

Given that circumstance, it's amazing things aren't in constant chaos and I attribute that to BV's even hand.

SO...if we get a rift on Charlie/vs. no Charlie, just expect it.

It's only rock 'n' roll.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 14, 2021 21:53

Stoneage

Yeah, if this was 1999 it would be real drama. I get and share the personal concern for Charlie, not the band issues.
Also, I'm not sure the 60th anniversary means much to them beyond a promotional opportunity. These are not sentimental men.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 14, 2021 21:54

What about the final bow ?
Mick, Keith and Ronnie ?
Steve after ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: August 14, 2021 22:13

Is 2022 finna be final?
I dont think so..

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 14, 2021 22:45

2022 as the finale? We obviously don't know, but it's such an easy projection to make. Their age, health issues, the 60th anniversary...

Date: August 14, 2021 23:17

It ain't over until the new album is finished...thnking 2025...maybe 2027 for the 65th anniversary..

Date: August 14, 2021 23:37

timbernardis
MisterDDDD

still a projection to say that next year is the finale.

plexi

Of course you are correct.
Personally, I believe it will be, but it's definitely not written in Stone winking smiley

While infamously non-sentimental, this upcoming Diamond Jubilee is a milestone even Mick will have no choice but to celebrate BIG.

Can't wait- Mick, Charlie, Keith, and Ronnie will be taking a final bow obviously at some point in the not too distant future,
and it won't be in Austin, that much we know.

Date: August 14, 2021 23:38

Like the boys themselves, this take never gets old, regardless of the thousands and thousands of times one repeats it winking smiley

Hairball
It ain't over until the new album is finished...thnking 2025...maybe 2027 for the 65th anniversary..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-14 23:41 by MisterDDDD.

Date: August 14, 2021 23:50

powerage78
Mick, Keith and Ronnie ?
Steve after ?

It's certainly going to be weird............

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: August 15, 2021 01:00

Hairball
powerage78
Mick, Keith and Ronnie ?
Steve after ?

I think Steve will take part in the big bow that always preceeds the core band bow, which for this tour (I hope) is just Mick, Keith and Ronnie.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 15, 2021 02:24

Get rid of the final bow.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 15, 2021 03:00

Dan

Play another song instead.

Date: August 15, 2021 03:36

Dan

Nah. Hologram.

I like the idea of just the three coming out for it.There's no way they're not taking one, thankfully.
Then again, wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Darryl join the three.

Date: August 15, 2021 03:48

floodonthepage
Hairball
powerage78
Mick, Keith and Ronnie ?
Steve after ?

I think Steve will take part in the big bow that always preceeds the core band bow, which for this tour (I hope) is just Mick, Keith and Ronnie.

I hope so also, but still...it's going to be very weird without Charlie. The entire tour will be weird without Charlie.

Date: August 15, 2021 08:23

True. Very weird.

plexi

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: August 15, 2021 10:48

It would be very natural if Darryl immediately resigned if Steve was allowed to do the final bow.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1928
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home