Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 12, 2021 20:21

GasLightStreet
Ridiculous.

To deny how awesome The Beatles were (are) is beyond stupidity.

Imo the "fab" 4's music has aged badly (it reeks of the 60's) and post-69 careers solo by the lads are awful. Yes I'm one who thinks "Imagine" is awful, cheeesy and laughable. cool smiley The Beatles are slowly fading into oblivion and they'll sink in it completely once the babyboom generation "fades"/dies.

But back to Charlie! thumbs up

Posted by: bradleycsocal ()
Date: August 12, 2021 20:27

Perfectly said. Thank You BV. For me The Rolling Stones are my Prozac. Any time I am in a funk their music brings me out of it. I love them live the most; live recordings or in person. Somehow my mind can process the jam at a level I couldn't verbally express. I can distinctly hear Charlie, Ronnie, Keith and you could never miss Mick. The interaction they have as musicians who have played together this long is beyond phenomenal. They will definitely sound different without Charlie but I am happy just having the opportunity to see them.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: August 12, 2021 20:45

Charlie will be back!

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 12, 2021 21:05

I'm sad Charlie won't be there but as my late Aunt Barbara so wisely counciled me on such matters, "Rich, there's not a goddamned thing you can do about it."

I AM glad I bought Lucky Dips, however.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 12, 2021 22:04

RG
Charlie will be back!

This year or next? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 12, 2021 22:08

Charlie is a trooper. He'll be back and hopefully by the end of the tour.

I remember an interview where he said touring was like a "call to arms".

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: August 12, 2021 22:08

dcba
GasLightStreet
Ridiculous.

Imo the "fab" 4's music has aged badly (it reeks of the 60's) and post-69 careers solo by the lads are awful. Yes I'm one who thinks "Imagine" is awful, cheeesy and laughable. cool smiley The Beatles are slowly fading into oblivion and they'll sink in it completely once the babyboom generation "fades"/dies.

Strange but The Beatles music reeking of the 60's is true, primarily as it was written in the 60's. The Beatles music will be remembered long after the Rolling Stones music has faded from memory. Heresy on a Stones Board I know but The Beatles split 51 years ago and they are still the biggest band ever.

Solo Beatles were never going to reach the heights of the Fab Four but there are definitely some high points.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 12, 2021 22:41

Captain Teague
dcba
GasLightStreet
Ridiculous.

I love me my Stones but the Beatles...something else altogether and never to be forgotten.

Strange but The Beatles music reeking of the 60's is true, primarily as it was written in the 60's. The Beatles music will be remembered long after the Rolling Stones music has faded from memory. Heresy on a Stones Board I know but The Beatles split 51 years ago and they are still the biggest band ever.

Solo Beatles were never going to reach the heights of the Fab Four but there are definitely some high points.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 12, 2021 22:52

Captain Teague
dcba
GasLightStreet
Ridiculous.

Yessiree Captain - that's the truth.

Back on topic...hoping Charlie makes a triumphant return for the 60th anniversary shows!thumbs up

Date: August 12, 2021 22:54

Of course they can replace Charlie and still be very good.
Mick's or Keith's solo tours are also interesting.
But without Charlie, the sound will not be the same.
The whole idea of replacements at this stage of their career is leading to nowhere.
Yes, we can also speculate about replacing Keith, Ron or even Mick. Queen are trying that with Adam Lambert.
But it's not good path.
If Charlie cannot return, play those contracted show and then just stop.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 12, 2021 23:10

Mick & Keith said on 5-Aug-2021 that they wish Charlie back soon:

Mick - [www.Instagram.com]

Keith - [www.Instagram.com]

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 12, 2021 23:23

Captain Teague
dcba
GasLightStreet
Ridiculous.

I'm sure Presley fans, Buddy Holly fans, Chuck Berry fans, Eddie Cochran fans, and other greats from those days, will smile when they read your opinion. Their music exists even longer and is still played and listened to by millions. The Beatles were a nice talented bunch of guys, but much more a time hype than "the biggest band ever". Off course their music will last, but so does the music of Queen, U2, Beach Boys, Doors, etc., etc., (not to forget THE Rolling Stones cool smiley).
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: wavelength ()
Date: August 13, 2021 00:22

Mick and Ron had health problems now it is Charlie's turn. (I always liked his sardonic self erasing tone. I hope he recovers promptly.) At that age anything can happen at any time though I am sure they have all gone through meticulous medical screening.

Huge fan of the music from a finite period less so of the band in the later years. They have been elevated to divine status by devout fans who have invested in the mythologizing hype. Sadly they really mismanaged their retirement. I wish the band had shown a little humility and retired when they were still ahead of the game. They could have gone out with a bang at 50 years but they are going out misfiring badly despite all the positive spin.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 13, 2021 00:42

Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery new
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 12, 2021 20:21

GasLightStreet
Ridiculous.

each to there own opinion but

i'm a millennial and love the beatles and a lot of there solo stuff and a lot of millennials & gen z'ers i know the only music they like or know well from the 60's is beatles and this millennial plans to outlive the babyboomers and continue to preach the gospel of the stones, beatles, pre-war bluesmen, & everything else from the moldy old past that i love to new generations of fans that i hope to create

bessie smith, robert johnson,son house, & charlie patton all "reek" of the 20's and 30's but you don't need to be a 120 years old to love them and nearly a century on they are not forgotten

chuck berry & bo diddley "reek" of the 50's but i've sure seen a lot of millennial and gen z'er guitarists who learn to play by learning johnny b.goode
and other berry songs

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: August 13, 2021 01:13

georgemcdonnell314

Everything we've heard so far leads me to believe it's unreasonable to think he'll resume drumming duties during the tour, replacing Steve Jordan. Even if he returns to health, having missed the rehearsals, that'd be very hard to do.

Charlie IS a trooper, though, has always been as reliable as clockwork, and I know he hates disappointing us. I also wouldn't be surprised if two months from now he isn't back in pretty good shape.

So this is my hope, and I think it may be a not unrealistic one.

At a show about mid-tour or later, after doing 18 songs the band is offstage. In this hypothetical they're doing 20 song shows in which they go all-out, busting their butts trying to compensate a little bit for No Charlie. They come out for the encore, but instead of Steve, out comes Charlie. Or maybe Steve does come out, only to turn and regally hand the sticks to the emerging Charlie. Who gives one of his modest little waves.

Of course now the encore is delayed while we all roar, and chant CHAR-LIE! CHAR-LIE! CHAR-LIE! CHAR-LIE! nonstop for 10 or 15 minutes straight. During which it'll be fun to watch him because he really is a humble chap and our refusal to shut up will embarrass him. His is an ego that really has no need for and doesn't know how to deal with that much love from so many people. But it will touch him deeply anyway.

Then he'll play on the two encore songs, and, show over! "See You Soon!" 50,000 people go home giddily happy.

And so on for the rest of the end of the tour.

Trying to get up to speed with the rest of the band, it already being mid-tour, for a full set list won't be realistic, and it's doubtful he'd have the stamina for that yet anyway. But two songs? Might that work?

If Charlie felt more ambitious, maybe even the last 4 songs. Steve would continue to shoulder the lion's share of the drumming duties, playing 16 songs in those last shows of the tour, and Charlie comes out for the last four.

If that becomes do-able, I hope they do something like it.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 13, 2021 01:29

wavelength
Mick and Ron had health problems now it is Charlie's turn.

Keith has also had some issues.

1990 (I think) when Wembley shows were postponed due to Keith having an infected finger. (For me that meant that I got to the first Steel Wheels show and the final Urban Jungle sow, plus several inbetween).

And in the early 2000s fell out <insert your favourite rumour> and ended up having emergency brain surgery in New Zealand.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 13, 2021 01:35

Here I was always told after 50 were supposed to be the "golden years".

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 13, 2021 01:37

Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery new
Date: August 13, 2021 01:13

georgemcdonnell314

Everything we've heard so far leads me to believe it's unreasonable to think he'll resume drumming duties during the tour, replacing Steve Jordan. Even if he returns to health, having missed the rehearsals, that'd be very hard to do.

Charlie IS a trooper, though, has always been as reliable as clockwork, and I know he hates disappointing us. I also wouldn't be surprised if two months from now he isn't back in pretty good shape.

At a show about mid-tour or later, after doing 18 songs the band is offstage. In this hypothetical they're doing 20 song shows in which they go all-out, busting their butts trying to compensate a little bit for No Charlie. They come out for the encore, but instead of Steve, out comes Charlie. Or maybe Steve does come out, only to turn and regally hand the sticks to the emerging Charlie. Who gives one of his modest little waves.

Of course now the encore is delayed while we all roar, and chant CHAR-LIE! CHAR-LIE! CHAR-LIE! CHAR-LIE! nonstop for 10 or 15 minutes straight. During which it'll be fun to watch him because he really is a humble chap and our refusal to shut up will embarrass him. His is an ego that really has no need for and doesn't know how to deal with that much love from so many people. But it will touch him deeply anyway.

Then he'll play on the two encore songs, and, show over! "See You Soon!" 50,000 people go home giddily happy.

Trying to get up to speed with the rest of the band, it already being mid-tour, for a full set list won't be realistic, and it's doubtful he'd have the stamina for that yet anyway. But two songs? Might that work?

If Charlie felt more ambitious, maybe even the last 4 songs. Steve would continue to shoulder the lion's share of the drumming duties, playing 16 songs in those last shows of the tour, and Charlie comes out for the last four.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou.

beautiful scenario and to me the most likley one if by a slim chance charlie appears on this tour

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 13, 2021 01:46

TheBluesHadaBaby
georgemcdonnell314

A sweet thought but logistically how will that work?

Is Charlie supposed to jump on mid-tour with no rehearsal at all? The band is starting rehearsals this weekend and Charlie is likely currently recuperating and will continue to do so presumably well into rehearsal time. Charlie will have no one to rehearse with when the band is already out on the road starting the tour.

It's a romantic idea that Charlie swoops in mid-tour to take over but logistically it just can't happen. He's either there from the beginning (right now) for rehearsals or he'll have to wait and catch the next train. It appears to be the latter at this point.

Date: August 13, 2021 03:03

Justin
...logistically how will that work?

Is Charlie supposed to jump on mid-tour with no rehearsal at all? ...Charlie will have no one to rehearse with....

It's a romantic idea that Charlie swoops in mid-tour to take over but logistically it just can't happen. He's either there from the beginning (right now) for rehearsals or he'll have to wait and catch the next train....

I'm not talking about him "taking over." If it's just the encore, that's TWO warhorses he's played live 1000 times with those guys. He practices in England watching and listening to the tour performances of the two songs as they've been performed in the tour shows he's not at. On travelling to the U.S. and meeting up with the band, yes it'll be difficult to work in three or four secret rehearsals mid-tour, but again these are rehearsals of TWO songs, not of a concert. It'd not be impossible, and it'd be worth it, to everybody.

Would the two warhorses come off perfectly the first night they do this? Maybe not. Maybe people will be out of sync a couple of times. But NOBODY WOULD CARE about that.

They'd only care that that's Charlie Watts, the fourth Rolling Stone, up there behind the drum kit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-13 07:03 by TheBluesHadaBaby.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 13, 2021 04:23

Charlie has been doing this for decades. Does he really NEED 2 weeks of rehearsals? Drumming is no different than gitfiddle playing; your legs and arms are ingrained with the moves, like riding a bike.

His first show back may be a bit shaky but the second onwards and he'd get his groove back.

Those songs are INSIDE of him a part of his very being.

He'd be back in the groove very quickly.

Besides, I'd rather see a loose and shaky Charlie on first night back than Steve Jordan playing the whole tour.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: August 13, 2021 05:17

Bastion
No one is‘forcing’ their opinion on anyone.

Ironically stated in a manner that is enforcing what opinions people are allowed to have.

This

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 13, 2021 08:36

TheBluesHadaBaby
Justin

Is Charlie supposed to jump on mid-tour with no rehearsal at all? ...Charlie will have no one to rehearse with....

It's a romantic idea that Charlie swoops in mid-tour to take over but logistically it just can't happen. He's either there from the beginning (right now) for rehearsals or he'll have to wait and catch the next train....

I'm not talking about him "taking over." If it's just the encore, that's TWO warhorses he's played live 1000 times with those guys. He practices in England watching and listening to the tour performances of the two songs as they've been performed in the tour shows he's not at. On travelling to the U.S. and meeting up with the band, yes it'll be difficult to work in three or four secret rehearsals mid-tour, but again these are rehearsals of TWO songs, not of a concert. It'd not be impossible, and it'd be worth it, to everybody.

Would the two warhorses come off perfectly the first night they do this? Maybe not. Maybe people will be out of sync a couple of times. But NOBODY WOULD CARE about that.

They'd only care that that's Charlie Watts, the fourth Rolling Stone, up there behind the drum kit.

You want Charlie, recently recovered from surgery, to be traveling all over the country so that he can sit in on two songs? That makes no sense for anyone, least of all Charlie.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 13, 2021 09:22

dcba
GasLightStreet
Ridiculous.

Absolutely ridiculous!

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 13, 2021 13:02

StonedAsiaExile
Charlie has been doing this for decades. Does he really NEED 2 weeks of rehearsals? Drumming is no different than gitfiddle playing; your legs and arms are ingrained with the moves, like riding a bike.

His first show back may be a bit shaky but the second onwards and he'd get his groove back.

Those songs are INSIDE of him a part of his very being.

He'd be back in the groove very quickly.

Besides, I'd rather see a loose and shaky Charlie on first night back than Steve Jordan playing the whole tour.
Surely you could go on a bike even if you haven't done it for two years. But could you do it for two hours straight at a high speed? It's the same with drumming. Surely he could play all the songs but to be able to play for two hours you need rehearsals to slowly build the muscles up again.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 13, 2021 13:03

With Charlie absent and unwell it's a bit surprising that they didn't book Jimmy Nichol in his place...

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 13, 2021 14:05

bv
Stoneage
To be fair: They are not 75 percent Stones without Charlie. 60 percent rather.

- 25% with Brian Jones left in 1969
- 25% with Mick Taylor left in 1974
- 25% with Bill Wyman left in 1993
- 25% with Charlie not able to tour now

I don't agree on these mathematics. The Rolling Stones are a synergy of Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie, the very important supporting musicians on stage, their highly skilled crew, and their fans. They are still 100% The Rolling Stones, even if they may not tour with Brian, Mick T, Bill and Charlie.

I can live with a short tour, already announced with tickets sold, without Charlie in this situation. Who knows what impact a one more cancelled/postponed tour will have for the future in terms of insurances and so on?

But isn't the correct mathematics?:
- 20% with Brian Jones left in 1969
- 20% with Mick Taylor left in 1974
- 20% with Bill Wyman left in 1993
- 25% with Charlie not able to tour now

Date: August 13, 2021 14:12

Aquamarine
TheBluesHadaBaby
Justin

You want Charlie, recently recovered from surgery, to be traveling all over the country so that he can sit in on two songs? That makes no sense for anyone, least of all Charlie.

Depends entirely on how well he has recovered, doesn't it? Obviously his health is top priority. But none of us knows what the surgery was, when it occurred, or how long recovery takes from it. The surgery could have happened early in July and everyone might have been watching and hoping he'd already be recovered. In the Aug 4 release under Charlie's name he says that just that day he accepted that his doctors were right and he shouldn't go... which would have meant already being in Boston today. That sounds like he had been tempted to go, that he felt close to being able to, but accepts he's just not able to yet. He needs a few weeks yet. And meanwhile, the show must go on.

Naturally they tell us officially he's out for the tour because they don't want to create the expectation he'll play some of the end of the tour and then that not happen. And, as I've said, missing the rehearsals is a big deal. It's unrealistic to think he'd easily be able to take over drumming and play entire late-tour concerts, even if he did feel healthy enough to.

But if two months from today Charlie feels good to go, it won't take any urging or cheerleading from anybody for something like what I described, encore appearances, for example, to happen. He'll be anxious to go and not miss the whole thing. Man hasn't missed a gig, much less a tour, in 58 years. Touring IS like a "call to arms" to him... Charlie's a military history buff. Every man who can muster, does.

IF, again, he feels ready, he'll want to be there. The rest of the band will want him appearing for whatever he wants to do, and Steve Jordan will be very happy to hand over the sticks to Charlie for whatever he feels up for playing.

Such is my thinking, anyway.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: Christos ()
Date: August 13, 2021 14:23

"A three-legged dog is still a dog, it just has to learn how to run differently" - Michael Stipe on Bill Berry retiring from REM (1997)

Well, at least "our dog" still has 4 legs, it's just that one of them seems to be injured. Let's be optimistic and hope Charlie will be back next year.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 13, 2021 14:25

Christos
"A three-legged dog is still a dog, it just has to learn how to run differently" - Michael Stipe on Bill Berry retiring from REM (1997)

Well, at least "our dog" still has 4 legs, it's just that one of them seems to be injured. Let's be optimistic and hope Charlie will be back next year.

No better way to put it thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1297
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home