Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 12, 2021 14:21

Thank you, Mr.Björnulf Vik, for all your work and information: I can accept anything - apart from a Stones Tour without you!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 12, 2021 14:31

With Steve stepping in for Charlie it is reassuring. Steve has proven to be an essential musical relationship to Keith; in fact few years ago(2015) Jordan convinced Richards to work on his solo career again. I try to have a positive view on the situation, and I hope that musically something great happen. Get well Charlie and comeback soon!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 12, 2021 14:47

To be fair: They are not 75 percent Stones without Charlie. 60 percent rather.

Date: August 12, 2021 14:54

Stoneage

When did 3 out of 4 not become 75 percent? smiling smiley

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: August 12, 2021 14:56

rollmops
With Steve stepping in for Charlie it is reassuring. Steve has proven to be an essential musical relationship to Keith; in fact few years ago(2015) Jordan convinced Richards to work on his solo career again. I try to have a positive view on the situation, and I hope that musically something great happen. Get well Charlie and comeback soon!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Well said! Totally agree.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 12, 2021 14:56

bv
I understand there are lots of emotions regarding the replacement of Charlie on the coming tour. What I do NOT understand, is why some people want to enforce their own choices and opinions on others.

If you do not like to see the Stones live without Charlie, then fine. But why do you expect others to have the very same opinion?

I have a pragmatic view of life. When I bought Sticky Fingers, and became a Stones fan in 1971, the Stones had already replaced one of their founding members - Brian Jones. I bet some stopped being Rolling Stones fans already back then, when they brought in Mick Taylor to replace Brian Jones, back in 1969. If The Rolling Stones had followed the rules made by some fanatics, they should have terminated the band in 1969.

So I went to see The Rolling Stones live in 1973, with a not really Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor. I loved them, even if he was the new guy.

Then Mick Taylor quit, so I guess some did not want to follow the "new" band with Ronnie Wood. If I had been following that road, the show back in 1973 would have been my ONLY Stones show, and I would have done something else in my life.

I did still love The Rolling Stones, so I started IORR in 1980, and I went to see them on tour in 1982 and 1989 and 1990.

Then Bill Wyman left, and Darryl Jones replaced him. The Stones could have ended the band in 1990, but they love to play so they kept going. I saw them on tour in 1994 and 1995 and on every tour after that. They are still The Rolling Stones for me.

Some people stopped following The Rolling Stones when Brian Jones was not with them anymore. The same goes for when Mick Taylor quit, or when Bill Wyman quit.

Still, many do still love the band for what they do and what they are, and what they play and how they do it.

If you do not like the fact that The Rolling Stones are touring without Charlie, then I do understand that. But please do not enforce your own personal emotions on others, like me. I want to see the 75% Stones, how they are performing. I am still looking for more great music. May be I love it, may be I hate it, I don't know. I loved them with Mick Taylor. I loved them with Ronnie Wood. I loved them even if Bill left. If they bring great emotions to me - as a person - with a replacement drummer, then I do not understand why others, with other opinions, may rule out my choice of watching them play live.

The Rolling Stones are not like religion, where there is a book saying exactly what to do and what to play and who to be on stage and so on. They do their best, both to enjoy themselves, and of course to maintain the business model.

If you are upset with Charlie recommending a replacement drummer, then I assume you are upset with new versions of old albums, new color vinyl, new mixes of old songs, Stripped recordings, everything should be like it was. That is called conservative. Put them in a can and preserve them. Don't ever change a thing.

I do respect the fact that some do not want to see or listen to The Rolling Stones without Charlie Watts on drums. Still, I want to see them, how they will perform, how they will sound, and if they are still able to make my heart beat faster, and if I will still walk out of the shows with a smile on my face. Nobody will ever be able to take away that from me.

Then for sure I wish Charlie Watts all the best, a quick healing, so that he may join the tour later on this year, or at least be back for the 60th anniversary shows next year. I do still love the Stones, that is for sure.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
Not a single word left to be added.
This post was so very necessary.
And on with the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-12 14:59 by caschimann.

Date: August 12, 2021 15:02

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

I count 3 out of 5. They were 5 to begin with: Mick, Keith, Ron, Charlie, Bill. Now those 5 have become 3. Without Bill they were 4 out of 5. Without Charlie 3 out of 5.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 12, 2021 15:39

Well said, BV.

I mean, bands change lineups all the time (especially for live shows). It's going to happen. Even lead singers sometimes get replaced. It's not the end of the world.

And we're not even talking about a permanent lineup change here (hopefully not!).

It's pretty evident that they couldn't just close up shop here or go for yet another postponement. You have to understand the business side of things. Now, how transparent they were about the No Charlie part, as regards the timing of the tour announcement and all that, that may be questionable. But again, that's part of the business as well.

In a lot of ways it's another sign that we're on the home stretch or maybe even almost the victory lap. But we as Stones fans have been fortunate to even get this far, we should keep that in mind.

Date: August 12, 2021 15:43

Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

I count 3 out of 5. They were 5 to begin with: Mick, Keith, Ron, Charlie, Bill. Now those 5 have become 3. Without Bill they were 4 out of 5. Without Charlie 3 out of 5.

To begin with? Bill quit in 1993. Since then they've been 4 members.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: August 12, 2021 15:44

Very well said Bjornulf...

Sorry I missed the proper method of quoting. I will do so next post...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-12 15:48 by curt.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: August 12, 2021 15:47

bv
I understand there are lots of emotions regarding the replacement of Charlie on the coming tour. What I do NOT understand, is why some people want to enforce their own choices and opinions on others.

If you do not like to see the Stones live without Charlie, then fine. But why do you expect others to have the very same opinion?

I have a pragmatic view of life. When I bought Sticky Fingers, and became a Stones fan in 1971, the Stones had already replaced one of their founding members - Brian Jones. I bet some stopped being Rolling Stones fans already back then, when they brought in Mick Taylor to replace Brian Jones, back in 1969. If The Rolling Stones had followed the rules made by some fanatics, they should have terminated the band in 1969.

So I went to see The Rolling Stones live in 1973, with a not really Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor. I loved them, even if he was the new guy.

Then Mick Taylor quit, so I guess some did not want to follow the "new" band with Ronnie Wood. If I had been following that road, the show back in 1973 would have been my ONLY Stones show, and I would have done something else in my life.

I did still love The Rolling Stones, so I started IORR in 1980, and I went to see them on tour in 1982 and 1989 and 1990.

Then Bill Wyman left, and Darryl Jones replaced him. The Stones could have ended the band in 1990, but they love to play so they kept going. I saw them on tour in 1994 and 1995 and on every tour after that. They are still The Rolling Stones for me.

Some people stopped following The Rolling Stones when Brian Jones was not with them anymore. The same goes for when Mick Taylor quit, or when Bill Wyman quit.

Still, many do still love the band for what they do and what they are, and what they play and how they do it.

If you do not like the fact that The Rolling Stones are touring without Charlie, then I do understand that. But please do not enforce your own personal emotions on others, like me. I want to see the 75% Stones, how they are performing. I am still looking for more great music. May be I love it, may be I hate it, I don't know. I loved them with Mick Taylor. I loved them with Ronnie Wood. I loved them even if Bill left. If they bring great emotions to me - as a person - with a replacement drummer, then I do not understand why others, with other opinions, may rule out my choice of watching them play live.

The Rolling Stones are not like religion, where there is a book saying exactly what to do and what to play and who to be on stage and so on. They do their best, both to enjoy themselves, and of course to maintain the business model.

If you are upset with Charlie recommending a replacement drummer, then I assume you are upset with new versions of old albums, new color vinyl, new mixes of old songs, Stripped recordings, everything should be like it was. That is called conservative. Put them in a can and preserve them. Don't ever change a thing.

I do respect the fact that some do not want to see or listen to The Rolling Stones without Charlie Watts on drums. Still, I want to see them, how they will perform, how they will sound, and if they are still able to make my heart beat faster, and if I will still walk out of the shows with a smile on my face. Nobody will ever be able to take away that from me.

Then for sure I wish Charlie Watts all the best, a quick healing, so that he may join the tour later on this year, or at least be back for the 60th anniversary shows next year. I do still love the Stones, that is for sure.

Very well said Bjornulf...

Date: August 12, 2021 15:51

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Okay, sure there are different ways of counting. I count the Stones as a 5-piece-band with, now, three real Stones members on stage. It may be totally wrong but that is the way I look at it.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 12, 2021 15:52

bv

If you do not like to see the Stones live without Charlie, then fine.

No that's precisely why it's not fine.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 12, 2021 16:00

The 75% Stones....or the 60% Stones....either way, far from 100% Stones.

Date: August 12, 2021 16:13

Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Okay, sure there are different ways of counting. I count the Stones as a 5-piece-band with, now, three real Stones members on stage. It may be totally wrong but that is the way I look at it.

Originally, they were a 6-piece band (don't forget Stu). We can't count people who aren't here anymore or quit. Since 1993 (28 years!) the Stones have been a band of 4 members. 75 percent of them will do the US tour.

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: August 12, 2021 16:14

Well said BV...

wether its The Rolling Stones or Covid there are some here who just can't accept differing views on either. Not now nor I suspect not ever. That is a problem.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 12, 2021 16:24

bv

Thanks Bjornulf.

Also respect those that don't want to see the band without Charlie.
(not so much for the non-stop reg whine over everything camp, but winking smiley)

Looking forward to the pre, during, and after show smile on my face as always.
smileys with beer

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 12, 2021 16:31

Glass half full or half empty?
Stones 3/4 full or 1/4 empty?

I’d take the former anytime.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: August 12, 2021 16:40

To be honest. If Keith, Ronnie, Mick and Charlie or only one of them will come to Europe next year, I'll be there. Even if they can't play and only smoke a package of cigarettes on stage instead. Every performed song after so many years on stage is a present for us.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 12, 2021 17:32

Stoneage

- 25% with Brian Jones left in 1969
- 25% with Mick Taylor left in 1974
- 25% with Bill Wyman left in 1993
- 25% with Charlie not able to tour now

I don't agree on these mathematics. The Rolling Stones are a synergy of Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie, the very important supporting musicians on stage, their highly skilled crew, and their fans. They are still 100% The Rolling Stones, even if they may not tour with Brian, Mick T, Bill and Charlie.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 12, 2021 17:39

Nikkei
bv

It is like a marriage. If you don't like your wife anymore, for a reason, then it is fine. You are not forced to stay. Your wife may change over time. You may change over time. A divorce is fine, if you don't find the vibe anymore. The Rolling Stones have changed over the past 59 years, for sure. No wonder some may not want to follow them anymore. That is fine. With me.

I am surprised to see so many are upset and angry. Charlie needs to rest. Doctors orders. He can not tour now. So the rest of the band will entertain while he can't join them. We don't know how it will sound and look like. I love The Rolling Stones, and I am sure Mick, Keith and Ronnie will do their best, together with Steve Jordan and the rest of the supporting musicians. And who are to judge, before they have even hit the stage?

Bjornulf

Posted by: frtylicks ()
Date: August 12, 2021 17:49

Bv, you're exactly right.I'm gonna see them with or without Charlie, time is running short for them now at their ages. Bv, you seem to be really connected, do you think there's a chance Charlie can make any of the shows or should we accept the fact he wont play on this tour. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-12 17:49 by frtylicks.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 12, 2021 17:57

bv
Nikkei
bv

It is like a marriage. If you don't like your wife anymore, for a reason, then it is fine. You are not forced to stay. Your wife may change over time. You may change over time. A divorce is fine, if you don't find the vibe anymore. The Rolling Stones have changed over the past 59 years, for sure. No wonder some may not want to follow them anymore. That is fine. With me.

I am surprised to see so many are upset and angry. Charlie needs to rest. Doctors orders. He can not tour now. So the rest of the band will entertain while he can't join them. We don't know how it will sound and look like. I love The Rolling Stones, and I am sure Mick, Keith and Ronnie will do their best, together with Steve Jordan and the rest of the supporting musicians. And who are to judge, before they have even hit the stage?

Of that there is absolutely no doubt thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 12, 2021 18:05

bv
Nikkei
bv

I'm not exactly upset, certainly not angry, I just think it's the wrong thing to do now, moving forward in spite of all the circumstances. In my view it's close to spelling out disaster. And I don't want the divorce as you put it. I see them attempting something wrong and unwise and would like them to reconsider. I haven't been married but I suppose before you just file for divorce you would sit down together and try to talk it out?

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: August 12, 2021 19:39

No one is‘forcing’ their opinion on anyone.

Ironically stated in a manner that is enforcing what opinions people are allowed to have.

Date: August 12, 2021 19:54

Nikkei

I'm not exactly upset, certainly not angry, I just think it's the wrong thing to do now, moving forward in spite of all the circumstances. In my view it's close to spelling out disaster. And I don't want the divorce as you put it. I see them attempting something wrong and unwise and would like them to reconsider. I haven't been married but I suppose before you just file for divorce you would sit down together and try to talk it out?

When they made the final plans for this leg, the (covid) outlook was good.

Now.. things have changed some.. they will likely make adjustments (vax proof/test) but, as we've seen throughout the pandemic, things change.
They can't be expected, nor would it be wise, to change the plans weekly.

Basically, using the divorce analogy, we're in the counseling phase right now.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 12, 2021 19:55

MisterDDDD
Nikkei

When they made the final plans for this leg, the (covid) outlook was good.

Now.. things have changed some.. they will likely make adjustments (vax proof/test) but, as we've seen throughout the pandemic, things change.
They can't be expected, nor would it be wise, to change the plans weekly.

Basically, using the divorce analogy, we're in the counseling phase right now.

AEG just did.

[consequence.net]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 12, 2021 19:58

Nikkei
bv
Nikkei
bv

Not upset or angry either, and they can tour however they want and with whomever they want imo, just a bit puzzled about the misleading false advertizing.
Had they been up front about Charlie not being on the tour in the first place, not that big of a deal, but they weren't which is a bit baffling.
Imagine if it was Keith who was being replaced on tour with Waddy Wachtel (or Blondie) as the replacement - not many here would go for that, especially if the band weren't forthcoming about the info. prior to the rescheduled dates w/new shows announcement. I feel the same way about Charlie missing in action, but first and foremost hoping he's recovering and doing well.
The Stones will roll on witout the engine at 75% or 60% while scraping in as much money as possible from the fans, and many will enjoy the tour no matter what. I'm still on the fence.....

Date: August 12, 2021 20:03

How does anyone know they weren't upfront?
Perhaps Charlie was telling the truth about wanting to try to rehab and make the leg despite the band wisely signing on back up.

That's gaslighting in its essence, basing your opinion, and stating as fact, on what you think might have the case.

See you later this year Charlie as you stated, and thanks for giving your blessings.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 12, 2021 20:03

On the fence here as well. Tix for St. Louis been vaccinated since April and will have mask in hand for the Dome. But....no Charlie kind of makes skipping a lot more justifiable.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home