Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 11, 2021 18:15

SomeTorontoGirl
TheGreek
A most fine mess at massive ticket prices for a diminished product . Hint - they should not tour , but you can't let the money get in the way of "Business" SHAME !

Hairball
Seems a bit devious and misleading to announce the rescheduled shows if they already had Steve Jordan signed on back in early July while knowing Charlie wouldn't be involved.

..particularly since tickets bought after the recent tour dates were announced were (a) flogged with ‘dynamic pricing’ into the stratosphere and (b) aren’t refundable. I’m actually pretty peeved, but expect the whole thing to go down in flames any day now anyway.

and if we don't think that the band is even considering that as a distinct possibility we're deluded.

I would venture that they were obliged to put on these shows at some point...and they did not want this hanging over their heads for 2022 and their 60th Anniversary plans. (after which it may be curtains)

SO...a window of opportunity occurs, Fall 2021. It's a win-win for the Stones. If they are able to deal with the tour then, great. If they can't due to COVID, they have cover with the insurance companies and the fans.

It's not their fault, they tried.

So, they won't be first to cancel shows and they're starting late enough to wait to see how it unfolds. Things could evolve so they themselves aren't cancelling dates, but local governments or the venue itself.

There are probably also a minimum number of shows required to call it a tour before the whole thing would be called off. So now it's a waiting game to see what happens.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 11, 2021 18:36

SomeTorontoGirl
TheGreek
A most fine mess at massive ticket prices for a diminished product . Hint - they should not tour , but you can't let the money get in the way of "Business" SHAME !

Hairball
Seems a bit devious and misleading to announce the rescheduled shows if they already had Steve Jordan signed on back in early July while knowing Charlie wouldn't be involved.

..particularly since tickets bought after the recent tour dates were announced were (a) flogged with ‘dynamic pricing’ into the stratosphere and (b) aren’t refundable. I’m actually pretty peeved, but expect the whole thing to go down in flames any day now anyway.

Disingenuous to say the least.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: August 11, 2021 18:38

Question: Will Steve Jordan use Charlies drumset in order for him to sound like Charlie? I doubt that a Yamaha will sound like Charlies Gretsch.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 11, 2021 18:43

schwonek
Question: Will Steve Jordan use Charlies drumset in order for him to sound like Charlie? I doubt that a Yamaha will sound like Charlies Gretsch.

How anyone could tell nuances like this in a big football stadium is beyond me.

Of course he will use his own drums. This is a professional drum player not some @#$%& they pull up out of the audience because their drummer is fcuked up and cannot continue.

jb

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 19:04

The Sicilian
SomeTorontoGirl
TheGreek

Hairball

Disingenuous to say the least.

To quote Mick himself the entire ordeal has become kinda Eazy Sleazy.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 11, 2021 19:34

maumau
DandelionPowderman
maumau
being watching Ronnie's latest photos lately, asking myself if the time to say the show must stop has come for the band

I thought he looked healthy on the August 10 pics.

Yes I was referring to those DP. Don't know, somehow they put me down, the expression in his eyes, don't know maybe it's just me..

To me, it's pretty clear that once Ronnie grows his hair out more to have the forelock/bangs over his forehead, he will look great, better than he does now. Sometimes he has different expressions in his eyes...

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 11, 2021 20:05

jbwelda
schwonek

Of course he will use his own drums. This is a professional drum player not some @#$%& they pull up out of the audience because their drummer is fcuked up and cannot continue.

jb

Because the various screens will also highlight each musician up close.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 11, 2021 20:37

People do what they do. Promoters will promote. Steve Jordan will play drums. Life goes on.

Date: August 11, 2021 22:09

The Sicilian
jbwelda
schwonek

jb

Because the various screens will also highlight each musician up close.

Not sure how screens will make someone sound or not sound like Charlie's drums.

jb

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: August 11, 2021 22:43

Get better Charlie. Tour could be cancelled, Delta is wrecking havoc. Just heard today Stevie Nicks cancelled all dates this year due to Delta. Timing for tour is bad but I wish everyone luck.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 23:10

I like everyone here, just want Charlie to be well and life his best life.That is my first and foremost thought on the tour.

Covid in the USA. It is hard to imagine this tour will actually take place. The Delta variant is wreaking havoc in many states. I suspect the concert industry will grind to halt in the next few weeks unless the Covid numbers dramatically improve along with vaccination numbers (which are rising).

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 23:11

Will Dick Taylor be invited if they do a 60 year tour or was his time too insignificant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-11 23:12 by Taylor1.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 11, 2021 23:13

TheBluesHadaBaby
GlimmerGirl24
Steve Jordan signed on in early July

and was Keith's choice.

No idea how long Charlie has been ill,

but it does appear the illness was discovered prior to July.

Charlie is expected to recover, but it's unlikely he'll join the tour later on.

Thanks GlimmerGirl.

Hope you get Cherry Oh Baby!

Ok, so it sounds very much like the band knew Charlie wouldn't be playing this tour even before they decided to pull the trigger and proceed with it.

And they separated the two big announcements in this manner, in the reverse sequence of when the information was known internally because, well "Three-Quarters Of The Rolling Stones To Tour This Fall" is actually two pieces of news that step on each other rather awkwardly delivered all at once.

They couldn't do the announcements in their actual order because to announce "Charlie Watts can't tour for several months" would be to signal the band is, or was, looking at touring in that time period. And it'd set off this whole raucous argument among fans about can or should the Stones tour without him, just ahead of the announcement of the tour. They opted to announce the tour into less choppy waters.

But they reserved a way to deny they've known for a month Charlie wouldn't be touring, with the out that, it wasn't 100% certain he wouldn't be on a Fall tour until just days ago. He might have recovered with miraculous speed. Or he could always just have disobeyed his doctors' orders and gone anyway.

If so, that was the purpose behind the the wording of the message that went out under Charlie's name. That he had only just then, immediately before that announcement, decided that he really must obey his doctors' orders and not tour. Implied is that his decision to accept his need for convalescence was brand new.

What do others think... is that how Rolling Stones Inc. managed it?

I actually think I don't blame them much if that is how it happened.

No ... this is not how they managed it. If Charlie was ill they would almost certainly try to wait until next year to see if he recovered. They would need
a longer rehearsal time perhaps and maybe even should have actually covertly performed this fall together just to keep in playing shape with or without Charlie (seculuded / non publically).

What they said seems to be true ..No one saw this coming until the very week it was announced as was specifically said in the official statement.

Date: August 11, 2021 23:25

They probably hoped that Charlie will be ok and recently discovered he won't. But something's been going on for longer time - but that's expected at this age.

We'll be very lucky if we get some shows with Charlie next year, and the final album.

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: August 11, 2021 23:44

First of all I wish Charlie a full recovery.
I get the impression that this tour is now only being driven by contractual obligations. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it falls over because of the pandemic.
I wouldn't attend because of the health risk.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 23:59

The Delta variant is just one of many more to come. Since this is ALL being driven by the unvaxxed, there is no reason to stop anything. This is how we will be living for the foreseeable future. There will be no herd immunity or wait until….

The time is now.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 12, 2021 03:08

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" - Johnny Rotten

SomeTorontoGirl
TheGreek

Hairball

Yeah..........

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 12, 2021 03:17

kv2915
The Delta variant is just one of many more to come. Since this is ALL being driven by the unvaxxed, there is no reason to stop anything. This is how we will be living for the foreseeable future. There will be no herd immunity or wait until….

The time is now.

Sad, but most likely true.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 12, 2021 03:48

I predict Steve will play a vintage Ludwig kit. White marine pearl.

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: August 12, 2021 04:12

oooh did that happen to some band where they borrowed a spectator to be the drummer???

Date: August 12, 2021 04:14

jbwelda
schwonek

jb

did that really happen? a drummer replaced by an audience member?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 12, 2021 04:27

dnewton99
did that really happen? a drummer replaced by an audience member?

Yes.

Posted by: jon12345 ()
Date: August 12, 2021 04:28

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 12, 2021 05:21

Wow...never heard that story, very cool.

I wondered what happened to Scott after all this time. He was an artist, passed away in 2008 of a brain tumor. So sad.

Date: August 12, 2021 05:24

treaclefingers

Wow...never heard that story, very cool.

I wondered what happened to Scott after all this time. He was an artist, passed away in 2008 of a brain tumor. So sad.

JUST WOW

Date: August 12, 2021 06:09

yep right in my backyard

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 12, 2021 06:38

As a drummer I have studied Charlie for decades. I'm confident I could do certain songs well... but HELL NO. No matter the excitement and passion and blah blah blah...

HELL NO.

In a pinch? Sure.

Probably piss Keith and Ronnie and Mick off but #$^ them. "1978-1989 Charlie, bitches!"

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: August 12, 2021 13:17

jbwelda
schwonek

jb

Just keep in mind that Charlie uses a special kit: round badge Gretsch drum set from the 1950's. Also many of his cymbals are 40+ yrs old and very different to Steve's and of course many couldn't tell the difference in a stadium: I could and many musicians could as well.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 12, 2021 13:22

wonderboy
I'm a bit surprised the nature of the surgery hasn't been reported.

It is private. If you go visit your doctor, for some reason, then you don't want that visit to end up in the newspapers. That is valid for any person, also people known to the public.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 12, 2021 14:00

I understand there are lots of emotions regarding the replacement of Charlie on the coming tour. What I do NOT understand, is why some people want to enforce their own choices and opinions on others.

If you do not like to see the Stones live without Charlie, then fine. But why do you expect others to have the very same opinion?

I have a pragmatic view of life. When I bought Sticky Fingers, and became a Stones fan in 1971, the Stones had already replaced one of their founding members - Brian Jones. I bet some stopped being Rolling Stones fans already back then, when they brought in Mick Taylor to replace Brian Jones, back in 1969. If The Rolling Stones had followed the rules made by some fanatics, they should have terminated the band in 1969.

So I went to see The Rolling Stones live in 1973, with a not really Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor. I loved them, even if he was the new guy.

Then Mick Taylor quit, so I guess some did not want to follow the "new" band with Ronnie Wood. If I had been following that road, the show back in 1973 would have been my ONLY Stones show, and I would have done something else in my life.

I did still love The Rolling Stones, so I started IORR in 1980, and I went to see them on tour in 1982 and 1989 and 1990.

Then Bill Wyman left, and Darryl Jones replaced him. The Stones could have ended the band in 1990, but they love to play so they kept going. I saw them on tour in 1994 and 1995 and on every tour after that. They are still The Rolling Stones for me.

Some people stopped following The Rolling Stones when Brian Jones was not with them anymore. The same goes for when Mick Taylor quit, or when Bill Wyman quit.

Still, many do still love the band for what they do and what they are, and what they play and how they do it.

If you do not like the fact that The Rolling Stones are touring without Charlie, then I do understand that. But please do not enforce your own personal emotions on others, like me. I want to see the 75% Stones, how they are performing. I am still looking for more great music. May be I love it, may be I hate it, I don't know. I loved them with Mick Taylor. I loved them with Ronnie Wood. I loved them even if Bill left. If they bring great emotions to me - as a person - with a replacement drummer, then I do not understand why others, with other opinions, may rule out my choice of watching them play live.

The Rolling Stones are not like religion, where there is a book saying exactly what to do and what to play and who to be on stage and so on. They do their best, both to enjoy themselves, and of course to maintain the business model.

If you are upset with Charlie recommending a replacement drummer, then I assume you are upset with new versions of old albums, new color vinyl, new mixes of old songs, Stripped recordings, everything should be like it was. That is called conservative. Put them in a can and preserve them. Don't ever change a thing.

I do respect the fact that some do not want to see or listen to The Rolling Stones without Charlie Watts on drums. Still, I want to see them, how they will perform, how they will sound, and if they are still able to make my heart beat faster, and if I will still walk out of the shows with a smile on my face. Nobody will ever be able to take away that from me.

Then for sure I wish Charlie Watts all the best, a quick healing, so that he may join the tour later on this year, or at least be back for the 60th anniversary shows next year. I do still love the Stones, that is for sure.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-12 14:04 by bv.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2010
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home