Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 37
Re: Does Charlie's absence affect tix sales?
Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 10, 2021 22:10

I don't think so at all. I just saw a bunch of venues in Nashville are now requiring vax or negative tests for entry as well as Bonnaroo festival and other artists. If the Stones do that, some may return tix.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 10, 2021 22:43

treaclefingers
I think there'll be an impact but pretty minor. Just the hardcore fans like us. COVID will be a far bigger impact.

right. Most of the people haven't heard the news yet.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2021 23:14

slewan
treaclefingers
I think there'll be an impact but pretty minor. Just the hardcore fans like us. COVID will be a far bigger impact.

right. Most of the people haven't heard the news yet.

It's not that...it's when the shows get cancelled.

Posted by: jon12345 ()
Date: August 10, 2021 23:29

kv2915
I don't think so at all. I just saw a bunch of venues in Nashville are now requiring vax or negative tests for entry as well as Bonnaroo festival and other artists. If the Stones do that, some may return tix.

I'm very likely returning my Tampa tickets because they aren't requiring vax, tests or masks.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 10, 2021 23:56

I don't know if ticket sales are as brisk as they wanted anyway. I'm constantly bombarded on Facebook with ads to buy for the L.A. concert. In the past it would have sold out, and a second concert, or third added. Maybe the excitement of seeing the Stones has finally ebbed. Plus Charlie, probably a minor anti-inducement, and Covid the larger element in killing the buzz.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 11, 2021 00:22

Dan
Covid is the negative impact.

Otherwise stuff like this *increases* sales and the urgency to see them while anyone is left.

Seems counterintuitive, but perversely enough, when The Who announced they would tour without John Entwistle in 2002, ticket sales actually increased. Fans were curious to hear what a Who gig would sound like with someone other than The Ox playing bass. Also, there was a sense that The Who's 2002 shows would be their last, that once they'd fulfilled their contractual obligations for that year, they would call it a day, which of course, turned out not to be the case at all.

I realize it's not exactly the same situation with the Stones, since there is still the possibility of Charlie returning at some point, and some fans, choosing to wait for that eventuality, will decide to sit this one out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-11 00:36 by tatters.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 11, 2021 00:26

Charlie would be the first to say no

Posted by: jon12345 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 00:42

24FPS
I don't know if ticket sales are as brisk as they wanted anyway. I'm constantly bombarded on Facebook with ads to buy for the L.A. concert. In the past it would have sold out, and a second concert, or third added. Maybe the excitement of seeing the Stones has finally ebbed. Plus Charlie, probably a minor anti-inducement, and Covid the larger element in killing the buzz.
The LA show is nearly sold out of regular tickets. Maybe under 100 seats left, though have no idea how many Platinum Pit passes are left. Everything else are resale seats. Agree though that most other cities have plenty of seats left. St. Louis and Minneapolis look especially unsold, maybe 40% unsold, and those cities have been on sale since Feb. 2020.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-11 00:43 by jon12345.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 11, 2021 01:51

tatters
Dan
Covid is the negative impact.

Otherwise stuff like this *increases* sales and the urgency to see them while anyone is left.

Seems counterintuitive, but perversely enough, when The Who announced they would tour without John Entwistle in 2002, ticket sales actually increased. Fans were curious to hear what a Who gig would sound like with someone other than The Ox playing bass. Also, there was a sense that The Who's 2002 shows would be their last, that once they'd fulfilled their contractual obligations for that year, they would call it a day, which of course, turned out not to be the case at all.

I realize it's not exactly the same situation with the Stones, since there is still the possibility of Charlie returning at some point, and some fans, choosing to wait for that eventuality, will decide to sit this one out.

Also by being mainstream news, it draws attention to the tour to people who otherwise wouldn't know. We are a small percentage of a percentage of fans. The biggest challenge for any artist or promoter is letting people know there is a show and a tragedy befalling a band is about the biggest promotional tool there is.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 11, 2021 03:53

Very few people know he won't be there. It was a minor, one-day story... you'd really have to be following the Stones on social media to hear about it.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 11, 2021 04:20

I'm in...purchased 2 very good seats. I suspect they won't be coming back down to Tampa again. This is the last ride.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 11, 2021 07:00

24FPS

No. It's just the times. Those ads are paid for way in advance and will run for however long.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 11, 2021 09:41

jon12345
kv2915

I'm very likely returning my Tampa tickets because they aren't requiring vax, tests or masks.

Remember you only have 10 more days to get the refund. (August 21)

Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 11, 2021 09:44

I would imagine the timing of the shows was partially done in response to the NFL season. The league will have played about a month's worth of games by the time September 26th rolls around and if they see that the league is having to deal with the virus again in terms of no or fewer fans, then they can take their cue and be the next wave of Delta casualties and cancel if need be. And not look bad. And if as someone said, the virus was figured into the insurance, they could cancel and still make big money.

plexi

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 11, 2021 10:05

TheBluesHadaBaby
GlimmerGirl24
Steve Jordan signed on in early July

and was Keith's choice.

No idea how long Charlie has been ill,

but it does appear the illness was discovered prior to July.

Charlie is expected to recover, but it's unlikely he'll join the tour later on.

Thanks GlimmerGirl.

Hope you get Cherry Oh Baby!

Ok, so it sounds very much like the band knew Charlie wouldn't be playing this tour even before they decided to pull the trigger and proceed with it.

And they separated the two big announcements in this manner, in the reverse sequence of when the information was known internally because, well "Three-Quarters Of The Rolling Stones To Tour This Fall" is actually two pieces of news that step on each other rather awkwardly delivered all at once.

They couldn't do the announcements in their actual order because to announce "Charlie Watts can't tour for several months" would be to signal the band is, or was, looking at touring in that time period. And it'd set off this whole raucous argument among fans about can or should the Stones tour without him, just ahead of the announcement of the tour. They opted to announce the tour into less choppy waters.

But they reserved a way to deny they've known for a month Charlie wouldn't be touring, with the out that, it wasn't 100% certain he wouldn't be on a Fall tour until just days ago. He might have recovered with miraculous speed. Or he could always just have disobeyed his doctors' orders and gone anyway.

If so, that was the purpose behind the the wording of the message that went out under Charlie's name. That he had only just then, immediately before that announcement, decided that he really must obey his doctors' orders and not tour. Implied is that his decision to accept his need for convalescence was brand new.

What do others think... is that how Rolling Stones Inc. managed it?

I actually think I don't blame them much if that is how it happened.

I think you explained very well the possible procedure here. Especially the idea of first telling that Charlie is out for a couple of months or so, and then announce a tour would have sounded pretty bad.

Another thing in GlimmerGirl24's post - thanks! - that contradicts with the official announcement is that it was actually Keith, not Charlie, who picked up Jordan. Honestly, I was a bit suspicious about it (being Charlie's choice) in the first place, since that doesn't sound the way the Stones operate or decide things. Yes, it looks good on a paper, making the loss of Charlie not sound so radical, like Charlie taking care of his own corner by offering a proper substitute. Like is not such a big deal.

But it is.

Just think of the Stones dynamics. It is not question who is not there, but who actually is there, that is, the one the rest are playing with. And the rest in the case of the Stones should read: Keith Richards. The heart of the Stones sound is the way the drummer and the main guitarist 'click'. No matter how past his prime Keith is - or Chuck Leavell-lead the 'modern' Stones are - there still exists that special connection between Keith and the drummer that affects the rest (if nothing else, for a band chemistry a happy, comfortable Keith is much better than not so happy Keith). I am pretty sure that like in the case of replacing Wyman they let the decision to Charlie because he was the one musically most linked to bass playing, they now naturally gave that task to Keith. They needed a man Keith feels naturally connected with. Probably there was not even discussion needed, since the choice was so naturally belonging to Keith's corner. And, of course, Steve was the most natural choice by him. (And we are pleased to read that Mick also is a "fan of Jordan", despite his criticism towards his playing with Winos back in the day... )

Well, wasn't it Charlie who initially recommended Jordan for the Winos project back in the 80's, so one can say he had a say there... But as far as the official announcement go, Charlie's contribution to it was (at most) something like being asked 'is this okay with you, Charlie?" after having showed the written part with the sentences attributed to him.

- Doxa

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 10:30

Doxa
TheBluesHadaBaby
GlimmerGirl24

and was Keith's choice.

This is put really well! It is the case that they are where they are and it is what it is. Not treason to play these concerts without Charlie, but realistic.

Thanks GlimmerGirl.

Ok, so it sounds very much like the band knew Charlie wouldn't be playing this tour even before they decided to pull the trigger and proceed with it.

And they separated the two big announcements in this manner, in the reverse sequence of when the information was known internally because, well "Three-Quarters Of The Rolling Stones To Tour This Fall" is actually two pieces of news that step on each other rather awkwardly delivered all at once.

They couldn't do the announcements in their actual order because to announce "Charlie Watts can't tour for several months" would be to signal the band is, or was, looking at touring in that time period. And it'd set off this whole raucous argument among fans about can or should the Stones tour without him, just ahead of the announcement of the tour. They opted to announce the tour into less choppy waters.

But they reserved a way to deny they've known for a month Charlie wouldn't be touring, with the out that, it wasn't 100% certain he wouldn't be on a Fall tour until just days ago. He might have recovered with miraculous speed. Or he could always just have disobeyed his doctors' orders and gone anyway.

If so, that was the purpose behind the the wording of the message that went out under Charlie's name. That he had only just then, immediately before that announcement, decided that he really must obey his doctors' orders and not tour. Implied is that his decision to accept his need for convalescence was brand new.

I think you explained very well the possible procedure here. Especially the idea of first telling that Charlie is out for a couple of months or so, and then announce a tour would have sounded pretty bad.

Another thing in GlimmerGirl24's post - thanks! - that contradicts with the official announcement is that it was actually Keith, not Charlie, who picked up Jordan. Honestly, I was a bit suspicious about it (being Charlie's choice) in the first place, since that doesn't sound the way the Stones operate or decide things. Yes, it looks good on a paper, making the loss of Charlie not sound so radical, like Charlie taking care of his own corner by offering a proper substitute. Like is not such a big deal.

But it is.

Just think of the Stones dynamics. It is not question who is not there, but who actually is there, that is, the one the rest are playing with. And the rest in the case of the Stones should read: Keith Richards. The heart of the Stones sound is the way the drummer and the main guitarist 'click'. No matter how past his prime Keith is - or Chuck Leavell-lead the 'modern' Stones are - there still exists that special connection between Keith and the drummer that affects the rest (if nothing else, for a band chemistry a happy, comfortable Keith is much better than not so happy Keith). I am pretty sure that like in the case of replacing Wyman they let the decision to Charlie because he was the one musically most linked to bass playing, they now naturally gave that task to Keith. They needed a man Keith feels naturally connected with. Probably there was not even discussion needed, since the choice was so naturally belonging to Keith's corner. And, of course, Steve was the most natural choice by him. (And we are pleased to read that Mick also is a "fan of Jordan", despite his criticism towards his playing with Winos back in the day... )

Well, wasn't it Charlie who initially recommended Jordan for the Winos project back in the 80's, so one can say he had a say there... But as far as the official announcement go, Charlie's contribution to it was (at most) something like being asked 'is this okay with you, Charlie?" after having showed the written part with the sentences attributed to him.

- Doxa

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 10:36

This is I think a realistic picture of the decision, rather than treason they are where they are for these concerts.Also worth remembering the people in the crew needs to put the shows on who may not have had work for possibly 18 months due to pandemic..

Date: August 11, 2021 11:59

Doxa
TheBluesHadaBaby
GlimmerGirl24

and was Keith's choice.

Thanks GlimmerGirl.

But it is.

- Doxa

Might have been for Hail, Hail Rock'n'Roll?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 11, 2021 12:53

Imo Jordan along with Fig saved the DW sessions, and he kept his mouth shut about the whole thing, so that was seen as a proff of loyalty by Keith.
Which led to beign hired for the Berry 60th gigs in 86.

Which led to sitting on the stool in 87 for TIC.

And now Jordan is getting ready for the biggest gig of his entire career. smoking smiley

Date: August 11, 2021 13:14

dcba
Imo Jordan along with Fig saved the DW sessions, and he kept his mouth shut about the whole thing, so that was seen as a proff of loyalty by Keith.
Which led to beign hired for the Berry 60th gigs in 86.

Which led to sitting on the stool in 87 for TIC.

And now Jordan is getting ready for the biggest gig of his entire career. smoking smiley

How did Fig's percussion playing save DW? smiling smiley And Jordan played on one song.

There are many great outtakes as well, with Charlie in the drummer's seat...

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 11, 2021 13:39

TheGreek
A most fine mess at massive ticket prices for a diminished product . Hint - they should not tour , but you can't let the money get in the way of "Business" SHAME !

Hairball
Seems a bit devious and misleading to announce the rescheduled shows if they already had Steve Jordan signed on back in early July while knowing Charlie wouldn't be involved.

..particularly since tickets bought after the recent tour dates were announced were (a) flogged with ‘dynamic pricing’ into the stratosphere and (b) aren’t refundable. I’m actually pretty peeved, but expect the whole thing to go down in flames any day now anyway.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 11, 2021 14:12

GlimmerGirl24
Charlie doesn't want to be the reason the Stones stop touring. It appears he'd rather it be Mick or Keith. So he'd probably be the first to encourage them to tour in the future if he decides to retire.

Steve Jordan signed on in early July and was Keith's choice. No idea how long Charlie has been ill, but it does appear the illness was discovered prior to July. Charlie is expected to recover, but it's unlikely he'll join the tour later on.

The band arrives this weekend to begin rehearsals. I'm hoping some of you in Boston are able to hear the rehearsals and report that Cherry Oh Baby is played.

Thanks, GlimmerGirl24.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 11, 2021 15:55

It's a bit ironic though - Jagger was always reluctant to tour. Remember the seven year break in the 80s and three, four years between tours in the 90s.
Now he is going through with this despite the worst of conditions (pandemic, health issues).

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 16:08

Doesn’t anybody remember how Brian Jones left/was kicked out of The Rolling Stones in 1969?
There was an official statement saying that Brian and the rest of band viewed the musical direction in different ways (sort of). Rubbish. We all know the real reason by now. Public statements like the one(s) about Charlie not touring the USA are made to put sand in the eyes of the ignorent. Some thruth in it, but conveniently timed and formulated. Isn’t there a song saying “Blame it on The Rolling Stones”?
I love the guys dearly, but I’m too old for this kind of formulated stuff. Listening to their music a lot and patiently waiting to see the band next year WITH Charlie cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 11, 2021 16:45

being watching Ronnie's latest photos lately, asking myself if the time to say the show must stop has come for the band

Date: August 11, 2021 17:20

maumau
being watching Ronnie's latest photos lately, asking myself if the time to say the show must stop has come for the band

I thought he looked healthy on the August 10 pics.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 11, 2021 17:31

Ronnie doesn't look at all bad to me. thumbs up

Date: August 11, 2021 17:55

If Ronnie wasn't able to tour we would know by now. He is the youngest of the band . I do agree that future tours look very dim at this point.

The rest of the band may toss in the towel after this tour as there are too many obstacles to overcome and they may as well put their health first.

We should all be grateful for the number of tours we have had since the 50 and counting and consider this tour a bonus.

With or without Charlie this may be the last time we get to see them on stage and I am not going to miss seeing the band I love most.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 11, 2021 17:57

DandelionPowderman
maumau

I thought he looked healthy on the August 10 pics.

Yes I was referring to those DP. Don't know, somehow they put me down, the expression in his eyes, don't know maybe it's just me..

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: August 11, 2021 18:10

SomeTorontoGirl

Hairball
Seems a bit devious and misleading to announce the rescheduled shows if they already had Steve Jordan signed on back in early July while knowing Charlie wouldn't be involved.

..particularly since tickets bought after the recent tour dates were announced were (a) flogged with ‘dynamic pricing’ into the stratosphere and (b) aren’t refundable. I’m actually pretty peeved....

Yeah there definitely is that aspect that doesn't feel right, there being a 2 week lag after the tour announcement before they release the No Charlie info, during which people bought a lot of tickets, many of them very high-priced, that at least some of those people would not have bought had they known.

If the Stones knew before July 22 that Charlie definitely was out for the tour, even if they didn't want to announce both things simultaneously, the more ethical thing would have been to follow the tour announcement quickly with the word that Charlie wouldn't be playing. Waiting two weeks to pass on that knowledge does smell of a money grab.

Not that anyone is naive enough to believe that the Rolling Stones Inc. don't do money grabs, but....

I'll offer this more generous speculation, too, then:

Maybe the process I described is basically correct, EXCEPT the band really was not completely certain Charlie wouldn't be able to tour at all, until a few days ago. Perhaps they legitimately were only, say, 95% sure he was out for the duration of the tour. And they were holding onto a slim (and admittedly very convenient) hope he might still be fit enough. And then that final small chance really did evaporate only last week.

I'd like to think that was a little closer to their decision-making process. Otherwise, withholding the No Charlie information from us for 2 weeks, that's excessive.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home