Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 10, 2021 22:45

Irix
Taylor1

Why not ask Ringo to sit in until Charlie is better

We're not allowed to mention Charlie and Ringo in the same sentence - [iorr.org] grinning smiley

I guess the following sentence is allowed (and maybe it's the only one): Charlie Watts is a very good drummer while Ringo Starr is not.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 10, 2021 23:50

slewan
Irix
Taylor1

We're not allowed to mention Charlie and Ringo in the same sentence - [iorr.org] grinning smiley

I guess the following sentence is allowed (and maybe it's the only one): Charlie Watts is a very good drummer while Ringo Starr is not.

Ridiculous. Charlie is a great drummer. Ringo is a great drummer in his own way. Some of his artistic work on Beatle records is fantastic.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 11, 2021 00:06

24FPS
slewan
Irix
Taylor1

Ridiculous. Charlie is a great drummer. Ringo is a great drummer in his own way. Some of his artistic work on Beatle records is fantastic.

Completely ridiculous is what it is. And not only in his own way.

jb

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: August 11, 2021 00:16

slewan
Irix
Taylor1

But Ringo has better solo hits and albums

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 11, 2021 00:18

I have not read all the way through this thread.

One thought though -

I f Jordan is on drums then get Charlie Drayton in on bass.
And that Neville man on keyboards - then we'd have some rocking outfit.

The Rolling Winos.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 11, 2021 00:19

And when Charlie gets better - keep Drayton and Neville.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 11, 2021 01:05

Taylor1
Any suggestion beside Steve could involve the showing of the Blade. Take it easy guys!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 04:15

NashvilleBlues
I asked this a while back, and I don’t think I got a reply. Is there a contract yet for the 60th anniversary tour? And if so, I wouldn’t that contract be similar to the No Filter Tour contract where Charlie would be replaced, if he couldn’t play?

BV has said there are venue holds for next year, which would indicate there's a contract. I would presume the contract would be similar that Charlie is replaceable.

Mick - if you're reading along, how about taking Cherry Oh Baby out for a whirl in St. Louis? You played Get Off of My Cloud for me in Philadelphia in '99, which was very sweet of you and stunned me. Let's do it again with Cherry Oh Baby. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-11 04:47 by GlimmerGirl24.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 11, 2021 04:22

with Jordan maybe they should take some risks and dust off a few gems.....how about SLAVE?

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 04:45

Rokyfan
NashvilleBlues
Rokyfan
NashvilleBlues
I asked this a while back, and I don’t think I got a reply. Is there a contract yet for the 60th anniversary tour? And if so, I wouldn’t that contract be similar to the No Filter Tour contract where Charlie would be replaced, if he couldn’t play?

Didn't get a reply from whom? All anyone here can do is speculate.

Why would there be a signed contract for a "60th Anniversary Tour"? Anyone here who has any knowledge indicates they do things one tour at a time, which accords with common sense.

The question is, will there be a 60th Anniversary Tour now that Charlie is done? Will they sign contracts for a tour without Charlie, as opposed to the current situation where everything was already done when he bowed out.

(don't bother with the replies, he's not coming back, other than maybe for a one-off farewell in London or something).

Calm down. I asked anyone who may know. There appears to be a few insiders on here. Sorry I asked such a ridiculous question. eye rolling smiley

Perfectly calm.

To be specific, I doubt there are any "insiders" that post here, but there are at least two people of whom I am aware that have contact with insiders and don't post bullshit. You asked so I pointed out what you may have missed.

BV has said many times that the Stones plan one tour at a time, something that accords with common sense.

Glimmer Girl has long time contacts with real "insiders" with real info and she has said that in the current tour contract, Mick and keith are identified as the two essential members. Something that also accords with common sense (not artistic, but business).

So we can deduce from these two reliable sources that the Stones are not under any contractual obligation to tour after the current tour, but if they were, the identification of the "essential" Stones would be the same.

Like I said, the question now is whether they will tour further without Charlie. That might actually be an interesting discussion. If the current tour goes well, whatever that means, will they decide to continue with Jordan?

Charlie doesn't want to be the reason the Stones stop touring. It appears he'd rather it be Mick or Keith. So he'd probably be the first to encourage them to tour in the future if he decides to retire.

Steve Jordan signed on in early July and was Keith's choice. No idea how long Charlie has been ill, but it does appear the illness was discovered prior to July. Charlie is expected to recover, but it's unlikely he'll join the tour later on.

The band arrives this weekend to begin rehearsals. I'm hoping some of you in Boston are able to hear the rehearsals and report that Cherry Oh Baby is played.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 04:51

If Mick wants to sell a lot of tickets , Ringowould bring in a huge number of fans.It could be billed. The Rolling Stones with special guest a Beatle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-11 04:59 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 11, 2021 05:00

Seems a bit devious and misleading to announce the rescheduled shows if they already had Steve Jordan signed on back in early July while knowing Charlie wouldn't be involved.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 11, 2021 05:45

Amazes me how many say postpone. Time is not on their side anymore. Jordan was approved by Charlie. There are no guarantees in life they need to do the tour,

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: August 11, 2021 06:04

GlimmerGirl24
Steve Jordan signed on in early July

and was Keith's choice.

No idea how long Charlie has been ill,

but it does appear the illness was discovered prior to July.

Charlie is expected to recover, but it's unlikely he'll join the tour later on.

Thanks GlimmerGirl.

Hope you get Cherry Oh Baby!

Ok, so it sounds very much like the band knew Charlie wouldn't be playing this tour even before they decided to pull the trigger and proceed with it.

And they separated the two big announcements in this manner, in the reverse sequence of when the information was known internally because, well "Three-Quarters Of The Rolling Stones To Tour This Fall" is actually two pieces of news that step on each other rather awkwardly delivered all at once.

They couldn't do the announcements in their actual order because to announce "Charlie Watts can't tour for several months" would be to signal the band is, or was, looking at touring in that time period. And it'd set off this whole raucous argument among fans about can or should the Stones tour without him, just ahead of the announcement of the tour. They opted to announce the tour into less choppy waters.

But they reserved a way to deny they've known for a month Charlie wouldn't be touring, with the out that, it wasn't 100% certain he wouldn't be on a Fall tour until just days ago. He might have recovered with miraculous speed. Or he could always just have disobeyed his doctors' orders and gone anyway.

If so, that was the purpose behind the the wording of the message that went out under Charlie's name. That he had only just then, immediately before that announcement, decided that he really must obey his doctors' orders and not tour. Implied is that his decision to accept his need for convalescence was brand new.

What do others think... is that how Rolling Stones Inc. managed it?

I actually think I don't blame them much if that is how it happened.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-11 06:07 by TheBluesHadaBaby.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 11, 2021 06:20

They just do what they want to do how they want to do it. Always have. I doubt "fans" enter the equation at all. Seriously.

jb

Posted by: OhYesMeAgain ()
Date: August 11, 2021 06:31

Thanks Glimmer Girl for sharing with us.
Go - Cherry Oh Baby!

Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 11, 2021 06:40

Thanks, GlimmerGirl.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 11, 2021 06:55

Ridiculous.

Ringo isn't good?

Ridiculous.

There is no trophy for being a fan of one more than the other. To deny how awesome The Beatles were (are) is beyond stupidity.

Stones better than Beatles? Maybe change your deodorant, see what works better or best.

How long is a piece of string?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 11, 2021 07:01

Hairball
Seems a bit devious and misleading to announce the rescheduled shows if they already had Steve Jordan signed on back in early July while knowing Charlie wouldn't be involved.

100 % business. Sure puts those press releases in a new light too.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 11, 2021 08:43

Taylor1
If Mick wants to sell a lot of tickets , Ringowould bring in a huge number of fans.It could be billed. The Rolling Stones with special guest a Beatle

Hell, no! I love the Beatles, but Ringo is older than Charlie. I don’t think he’ll necessarily be up to the rigours of touring. I’m sure your post is tongue-in-cheek, by the way.

Date: August 11, 2021 09:00

Well it becomes clearer now.
Charlie probably has got issues longer, and they did not want to rule out the possibility of joining in. Especially with the outlook to the next year's anniversary. Some medical procedure occurred this summer which made it clear he cannot play now.

I am OK with that. If we're lucky we can get some more shows with Charlie next year. The Stones ought not to continue with Steve Jordan. Keith can work with him on his solo tracks further.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 11, 2021 09:29

A note: I removed my reply to the interesting posts by TheBluesHadaBaby and GlimmerGirl24 to the next page, since after my post another Charlie thread was emerged to this thread, and I am afraid following the discussion might get a bit challenging.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-11 10:11 by Doxa.

Does Charlie's absence affect tix sales?
Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: August 10, 2021 20:36

I´m just wondering this.
I was thinking on going to see them again this fall. But now it's just out of question.
What do you think?
Is this situation with Charlie affecting tickets sales?
If so, are they going to be forced to maybe call the whole thing off?

I know a large % of the mainstream fans don't know who their drummer is, but I do believe that a lot of hardcore fans attract these casual fans. I mean I would have gone with my wife and some friends, and the only Stones they can call by his name is MJ. So now, no one is going.

Re: Does Charlie's absence affect tix sales?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2021 20:42

I think there'll be an impact but pretty minor. Just the hardcore fans like us. COVID will be a far bigger impact.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 10, 2021 20:48

Aren't most of the tickets already sold? I get a feeling a very large number kept their tickets. And I guess many renewed their tickets before the news about Charlie came about.
So I don't know how many unsold tickets there are out there.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 10, 2021 20:50

Is there some element of some reluctant people/fans being drawn out to see how the Stones might sound with Mr Jordan?

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 10, 2021 21:30

Covid is the negative impact.

Otherwise stuff like this *increases* sales and the urgency to see them while anyone is left.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 10, 2021 21:31

I have a feeling that for many of people who go to a Stones show, outside of MJ and KR, they haven't a clue who the others Stones are. These are the folks who know the hits and not much else.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 10, 2021 21:37

Most fans at any concert are casual fans. Many at their first Stones show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-10 21:37 by Topi.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: August 10, 2021 21:40

peoplewitheyes
Is there some element of some reluctant people/fans being drawn out to see how the Stones might sound with Mr Jordan?

That's a tricky question.

How the Stones might sound?
or
How Mick, Keith and Ronnie might sound?

I have no doubt it will be a good concert anyway. But for me, who don't live in the States, going there is much more than enjoying good music. It's a big effort, both financially and time spending. Last time I saw them was in 2019 and it was an amazing night. The Stones are a beyond-music event for me, if that makes sense. In short, I need the 4 of them to make it worthy.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home