Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 9, 2021 22:49

Stoneage
Sure, Hopkins. Close the thread then and make it a "Charlie, get well" thread. For the sake of clarity.

Are you having a conversation with yourself (selves),

and sneering crapola at ol Hopkins?
are ya? Jeeze Louise I leave for a year and it's a friggin diletante nightmare here.
Fight amongst yourselves.
This ends up being the Dirty Work site instead iorr.
I'm gonna listen to Bye Bye Johnny studio y'all Millennial generation screwballs or Whutt?
Steve Lilly White fans please don't Address Hopkins.
Instead, listen to Mott The Hoople.
Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-09 22:51 by hopkins.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 9, 2021 23:00

Rokyfan
NashvilleBlues
I asked this a while back, and I don’t think I got a reply. Is there a contract yet for the 60th anniversary tour? And if so, I wouldn’t that contract be similar to the No Filter Tour contract where Charlie would be replaced, if he couldn’t play?

Didn't get a reply from whom? All anyone here can do is speculate.

Why would there be a signed contract for a "60th Anniversary Tour"? Anyone here who has any knowledge indicates they do things one tour at a time, which accords with common sense.

The question is, will there be a 60th Anniversary Tour now that Charlie is done? Will they sign contracts for a tour without Charlie, as opposed to the current situation where everything was already done when he bowed out.

(don't bother with the replies, he's not coming back, other than maybe for a one-off farewell in London or something).

Calm down. I asked anyone who may know. There appears to be a few insiders on here. Sorry I asked such a ridiculous question. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 9, 2021 23:26

NashvilleBlues
Rokyfan
NashvilleBlues
I asked this a while back, and I don’t think I got a reply. Is there a contract yet for the 60th anniversary tour? And if so, I wouldn’t that contract be similar to the No Filter Tour contract where Charlie would be replaced, if he couldn’t play?

Didn't get a reply from whom? All anyone here can do is speculate.

Why would there be a signed contract for a "60th Anniversary Tour"? Anyone here who has any knowledge indicates they do things one tour at a time, which accords with common sense.

The question is, will there be a 60th Anniversary Tour now that Charlie is done? Will they sign contracts for a tour without Charlie, as opposed to the current situation where everything was already done when he bowed out.

(don't bother with the replies, he's not coming back, other than maybe for a one-off farewell in London or something).

Calm down. I asked anyone who may know. There appears to be a few insiders on here. Sorry I asked such a ridiculous question. eye rolling smiley

Perfectly calm.

To be specific, I doubt there are any "insiders" that post here, but there are at least two people of whom I am aware that have contact with insiders and don't post bullshit. You asked so I pointed out what you may have missed.

BV has said many times that the Stones plan one tour at a time, something that accords with common sense.

Glimmer Girl has long time contacts with real "insiders" with real info and she has said that in the current tour contract, Mick and keith are identified as the two essential members. Something that also accords with common sense (not artistic, but business).

So we can deduce from these two reliable sources that the Stones are not under any contractual obligation to tour after the current tour, but if they were, the identification of the "essential" Stones would be the same.

Like I said, the question now is whether they will tour further without Charlie. That might actually be an interesting discussion. If the current tour goes well, whatever that means, will they decide to continue with Jordan?

Date: August 9, 2021 23:50

On one hand this is just show business. Most audiences only want to have fun for one or two hours and then come back to their real lives. Mick, Keith and warhorses are enough for them. That’s the deal.

No Bill and no Charlie no Stones sound. But do average audiences care?. Of course not. They are not even able to understand it. And if they were told they wouldn’t care anyway.

Mick and Keith have to honour a contract. But not the contract people are talking about in this thread. It seems as if they needed to honour the contract which made them the best rock and roll band in the world.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: August 10, 2021 03:16

An indisputable crucial element of the band. Will not be anywhere close to the true Stones sound without him. So glad and thankful I managed to see many shows since 2013, but this upcoming tour will not be the same at all and I wouldn’t want to attend with the possibility that my last Stones show would be without Charlie Watts.

Date: August 10, 2021 05:16

I said the same thing when Bill left but I have learned to live that the changes made in the line up were a band decision.

They have never been the same since Bill left and with Charlie sitting this one out it will not even be close.

However this is the band I love and I will continue to see them when and where I am able to.

Also, since no one knows what the future holds this may be the last time they perform at all and with or without Charlie I am not going to miss it.

Bastion

An indisputable crucial element of the band. Will not be anywhere close to the true Stones sound without him. So glad and thankful I managed to see many shows since 2013, but this upcoming tour will not be the same at all and I wouldn’t want to attend with the possibility that my last Stones show would be without Charlie Watts.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: August 10, 2021 05:43

As a drummer I think Steve Jordan is a poor choice but likely the only choice if they don't want to postpone. He doesn't play like Charlie at all. Even playing the exact timing he runs on or slightly ahead of the beat, this doesn't allow a lot of groove in the feel of the drums. Snare accented mostly, down beat following quicker than it should to keep with the snare. Fills are abrupt.

The only thing I don't like about Keith's albums is the drumming.

He is still a great drummer, just the wrong one.

I'd be disappointed if had tickets.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 10, 2021 05:58

Compared to Charlie he is a cement mixer for how hard he hits those skins.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 10, 2021 06:20

Bastion

An indisputable crucial element of the band. Will not be anywhere close to the true Stones sound without him. So glad and thankful I managed to see many shows since 2013, but this upcoming tour will not be the same at all and
I wouldn’t want to attend with the possibility that my last Stones show would be without Charlie Watts.

All very true Bastion, and that last thought of yours really hits home. Without Charlie, it's all going to be so watered down.
Aside from Keith, Mick, and Ronnie, it's basically a bizarre circus spectacle of actor/musicians starring Chuck Leavell, Karl Denson, Matt Clifford, Darryl Jones, et al....

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 10, 2021 08:22

Markdog
As a drummer I think Steve Jordan is a poor choice but likely the only choice if they don't want to postpone. He doesn't play like Charlie at all. Even playing the exact timing he runs on or slightly ahead of the beat, this doesn't allow a lot of groove in the feel of the drums. Snare accented mostly, down beat following quicker than it should to keep with the snare. Fills are abrupt.

What about Anton Figg?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 10, 2021 09:11

StonedAsiaExile
Markdog

What about Anton Figg?

Both Steve and Anton were part of Paul Shaffer's band on David Letterman show over the years. They also were part of the Dirty Work sessions. Shaffer's band is usually the house band at the R'n'R Hall of Fame ceremonies. Anton was also Ace Frehley's original drummer.

Date: August 10, 2021 10:43

Just listen to Big Enough song and you can hear why Steve Jordan is very different drummer to Charlie Watts.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 10, 2021 11:35

jumpingjackflash5
Just listen to Big Enough song and you can hear why Steve Jordan is very different drummer to Charlie Watts.
Steve Jordan is a professional and I'm sure he can adapt accordingly to fit the Stones sound. It's understandable he doesn't want to sound like Charlie Watts on a Keith Richards solo album.

Date: August 10, 2021 12:37

StonedRambler
jumpingjackflash5
Steve Jordan is a professional and I'm sure he can adapt accordingly to fit the Stones sound. It's understandable he doesn't want to sound like Charlie Watts on a Keith Richards solo album.

He will not adapt much. You'll hear it in the autumn if you listen well.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 10, 2021 12:50

Mick and Keith are not drummers; although they could direct Steve a little bit, my guess is that Steve is on his own as far as deciding what he will do musically.
Steve is a great musician and he will not get in the way of the songs, but I am sure that critics are going to come at him pretty hard.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 10, 2021 13:02

jumpingjackflash5
StonedRambler
jumpingjackflash5

You got a crystal ball? So can you tell me if they will tour again with Charlie in 2022?

Date: August 10, 2021 14:45

StonedRambler
jumpingjackflash5
StonedRambler
jumpingjackflash5

You got a crystal ball? So can you tell me if they will tour again with Charlie in 2022?

No I haven't got. But hearing tracks with Steve Jordan it is pretty obvious he does not play like Charlie Watts.

2022 depends on Charlie's health status at the beginning of 2022.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: August 10, 2021 15:30

StonedAsiaExile
Markdog

What about Anton Figg?

Anton Figg was the first guy I thought of that could be a good fit. He is way more versatile than Jordan. With 6 weeks to go I see how tough a position they are in.

No Charlie is the line where they aren't the rolling stones any longer to me.

Carrying on without him is disrespectful and if Charlie can't return this tour was it really an extension of the Stone's legacy?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 10, 2021 15:33

Does Jordan play like the drummer who played Stones songs with Joe Satriani on the 1988 Jagger tour

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: August 10, 2021 15:51

A statement like “a bizarre circus spectacle of actor/musicians” should not include Darryl Jones.

He’s the real deal.

CHELSKEITH

Date: August 10, 2021 16:41

[video][/video]Instead of replacing Charlie with Steve Jordan, maybe they should try this https//youtu.be/hbblP5JDL94

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-10 16:48 by Taylor1.

Posted by: MainStreetExile ()
Date: August 10, 2021 16:58

Nonsense. The Stones have broken boundaries their entire careers and gotten flak from morons about it, and they're doing it once again, working through their later years instead of deciding to curl up in a ball and wait to die provokes an awful lot of people, like you, for example. So, so many people crave their later years because they think it validates their lifelong ambition to be useless, unaccomplished, to have something they think they can blame their mental, spiritual and physical lethargy on. And here's Charlie, working it in a way that the majority of people a third of his age couldn't pull off, in shape, on point. Threatening, huh?

Anyone can end up having emergency surgery, or an accident, or a whatever. What kind of life do you lead where you think this kind of thing is reserved for people of a certain age? And who are you to tell people when to hang something up? Tell it to Peter Frampton, who's losing his ability to play. Think of Ronnie Lane. Not being able to play, A hell on earth, and you want to wish it on people.

Nostalgia is poison, and hasn't anything to do with this conversation, unless we're dealing with people who can't associate music with anything but their pasts, and the Stones can't help that, either. And if you all think the Stones should pack it in, then what are you doing here? The K Pop gang are waiting for you elsewhere.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 10, 2021 18:31

MizzAmandaJonez
A statement like “a bizarre circus spectacle of actor/musicians” should not include Darryl Jones.

He’s the real deal.

CHELSKEITH

Unfortunately he's never the real deal for the Stones. Maybe he's a fine jazz bassist, but he's never quite got the hang of rock and roll, especially Stones rock and roll. Whatever magic the Keith/Charlie/Bill three legged stool produced, Darryl has never been part of it.

Date: August 10, 2021 19:38

Taylor1
Does Jordan play like the drummer who played Stones songs with Joe Satriani on the 1988 Jagger tour

Simon Phillips? No.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 10, 2021 20:00

A most fine mess at massive ticket prices for a diminished product . Hint - they should not tour , but you can't let the money get in the way of "Business" SHAME !

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: August 10, 2021 21:17

These guys are in their late 70s, so I have to ask all the naysayers, would you rather not see Mick and Keith play? I’ve seen a ton of stones shows since 1978 and in the year 2021 I’ll take what I can get….

Date: August 10, 2021 21:26

Why not ask Ringo to sit in until Charlie is better

Date: August 10, 2021 21:43

Taylor1

Because Ringo is 81 and hasn't drummed seriously in decades.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 10, 2021 21:45

Taylor1

We're not allowed to mention Charlie and Ringo in the same sentence - [iorr.org] grinning smiley

Date: August 10, 2021 21:50

Irix
Taylor1

We're not allowed to mention Charlie and Ringo in the same sentence - [iorr.org] grinning smiley

LOLOLOLOL

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1367
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home