Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 9, 2021 14:54

georgemcdonnell314
I am surprised there is not an official statement on their website.

Yes. Part of that has to do with the fact that social media is the dominating means of communication these days.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 9, 2021 15:20

I'm maybe repeating myself but this is what happens when you don't know when to stop. Personally, I wish that they had been more active when they were active so to speak. I'm talking about the 80s and 90s.
I never wanted them to continue into old, old age (80 years old). I didn't ask for non stop nostalgia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-09 15:36 by Stoneage.

Posted by: wavelength ()
Date: August 9, 2021 16:50

What a sham!

The band achieved musical irrelevance decades ago and transformed themselves into a travelling Disney show. They are selling a dream.

They might as well have found a replacement drummer that looked sort of like Charlie, put a white wig on him and no one would know.

You can be sure they had a contingency business plan that covered the eventuality of any one being unable to perform because of illness.

The RS were about sex, drugs, youth and rebellion. They are now a geriatric con job and they believe their own con. They should have quit when they were ahead. What a way to end a career. Pathetic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-09 16:52 by wavelength.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 9, 2021 17:09

Or their just a really a really good rock & roll band perhaps the greatest of all time. Nothing more Nothing less. They continued without: Brian, Mick T, Stu, Bill, Bobby Keys,etc. An 80 year old man with health issues is sitting a 12 show tour out. It happens. I think some fans bought dreams that no one actually sold them.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 9, 2021 17:27

It's sorta like vultures. He's had a procedure he's keeping private. He could be totally recovered in time like the cancer thing or whatever else in the World of speculation...
Prognostications and death watching the band's last years in the saddle without knowing Mr. Watts actual condition or the predictions of his medical team for recovery or further potential treatment is totally unknown.
He himself has hardly had clear time to adjust.
I understand the Great Emotion and drama, I do. But personally relate more to the human and humane aspects with respect. Not trying to take another fan here to task. Just my impression and I appreciate being able to share it here.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 9, 2021 17:47

Sure, Hopkins. Close the thread then and make it a "Charlie, get well" thread. For the sake of clarity.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 9, 2021 17:57

wavelength
What a sham!

The band achieved musical irrelevance decades ago and transformed themselves into a travelling Disney show. They are selling a dream.

They might as well have found a replacement drummer that looked sort of like Charlie, put a white wig on him and no one would know.

You can be sure they had a contingency business plan that covered the eventuality of any one being unable to perform because of illness.

The RS were about sex, drugs, youth and rebellion. They are now a geriatric con job and they believe their own con. They should have quit when they were ahead. What a way to end a career. Pathetic.

TumblinDice76
Or their just a really a really good rock & roll band perhaps the greatest of all time. Nothing more Nothing less. They continued without: Brian, Mick T, Stu, Bill, Bobby Keys,etc. An 80 year old man with health issues is sitting a 12 show tour out. It happens. I think some fans bought dreams that no one actually sold them.

Mick stated in an interview when The Rolling Stones visited and stayed in Tokyo for the Steel Wheels shows — “I don’t think rock ‘n roll is teenage rebel music anymore. To begin with, their parents’ generation grew up listening to rock music. There is nothing you can do about it.” That was 1990, thirty-one years ago. In her commentary, the interviewee also quoted Mick’s word, “rock as three-generational music.” Entering the third decade into the 21st Century, it’s just plain reality.

You can’t live in the 60’s or 70’s forever.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 9, 2021 18:07

calipachangero
TooTough
After reading most of the crap in this thread I must realize
that I´m in a wrong place after being here for 20 years.

Reading this thread made me realize that I am a purist,
a nerd, a fanatic, a Stones-Taliban.
I´m totally upset that M+K go on without Charlie, even if it
was for just one show.

I´m totally upset that they kneel down in front of insurances,
sponsors and contracts at this stage of their career. They make
their own rules. They are the Greatest Band in the World.

I´m totally upset that most of the people on IORR buy this excuse.

I´m totally upset that they don´t say “Fvck the contract. No Charlie,
no tour! What´s the fine?”

I´m totally upset that Charlie isn´t irreplaceable for most of
the people here.

I´m totally upset that the common sense on IORR is that
another drummer could replace him and add something to the
sound/setlist the day and the day after the news.
And this will go on. Treason.

I´m totally upset that even the webmaster of this site is
curious what the new one will do on Midnight Rambler.

I´m totally upset that some here are criticizing Charlies
drumming/style/tempo – in a band that is known for doing
so with any instrument, the singer included – for 60 @#$%&
years. It´s their trademark. Their DNA. Unbelievable bullshit.

I´m totally upset that I have to explain that to “soulbrothers
and soulsisters” on a Rolling Stones fansite.

Retired-dog said “Did you perform the same or a similar drama
when Bill left?”. Ass_hole. I wouldn´t tell you. Why posting
the answer on this site? Useless anyway. There´s just a handful
of people who feel the same as me. But that´s good to know.

I´ve seen the band 63 times (3 times with Bill), have achieved
anything I wanted. Some really important informations I got on
IORR. Thanks, bv. This was always a helpful community, but the
Charlie news “sorted the wheat from the chaff“. It will never
be the same, for the Stones and for this site. I couldn´t stand
the band touring without Charlie and reading enthusiastic posts
of how good Steve Jordan fit in.

Like what Keith once said to Bill German: "Forward, brother!"

bv, please delete my account. Thank you.

Rolling Stones forever.

Absolutely agree with your points, although taking a knee is apparently en vogue right now.. grinning smiley But there will always be different opinions. I for one would never ever see the Stones without Charlie. The show must go on? I don't think so.

That's admirable that you absolutely agree with that whiny teenage aspect but the fact that you don't think the show must go on means someone else can get a ticket, which is even better.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 9, 2021 18:08

TheGreek
No Charlie , No Stones period !

Bye!

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: August 9, 2021 18:50

I dont like rolling stones without Charlie.
But Im Ok with these 2021 shows without Charlie. And then 2022-i believe-with Charlie.

Posted by: spoonful2 ()
Date: August 9, 2021 19:03

bye bye johnny
Hairball
Dougratajczak87
Nowhere in the announcement does it say emergency surgery

You're right, but it's in the title of this thread, and it's in the first sentence of the first paragraph of the first post which was taken from the first article posted in this thread.
Granted it's taken from the Daily Mail tabloid which can tend to overblow/exaggerate things ala the National Enquirer, but that's what it said.

Story was broken by The Sun. and subsequently posted by the Daily Mail. To their credit,they did cite The Sun as their source.

The Sun headline:

MISS YOU Rolling Stones star Charlie Watts forced to pull out of American tour after emergency op in London hospital

[www.thesun.co.uk]

To be clear, at least 2 weeks before the announcement he had some sort of blood work procedure, if it was emergency surgery seems very doubtful but I guess possible. They very likely knew all of this when the put LA, Vegas and New Orleans on sale. Not that it matters to me either way.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 9, 2021 19:04

GasLightStreet
TheGreek
No Charlie , No Stones period !

Bye!
Adios Muchacho , Sayonara Bueneos noches bye bye smoking smiley

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 9, 2021 19:17

spoonful2
bye bye johnny
Hairball
Dougratajczak87
Nowhere in the announcement does it say emergency surgery

You're right, but it's in the title of this thread, and it's in the first sentence of the first paragraph of the first post which was taken from the first article posted in this thread.
Granted it's taken from the Daily Mail tabloid which can tend to overblow/exaggerate things ala the National Enquirer, but that's what it said.

Story was broken by The Sun. and subsequently posted by the Daily Mail. To their credit,they did cite The Sun as their source.

The Sun headline:

MISS YOU Rolling Stones star Charlie Watts forced to pull out of American tour after emergency op in London hospital

[www.thesun.co.uk]

To be clear, at least 2 weeks before the announcement he had some sort of blood work procedure, if it was emergency surgery seems very doubtful but I guess possible. They very likely knew all of this when the put LA, Vegas and New Orleans on sale. Not that it matters to me either way.

Exactly what I thought when you had previously said you knew like 9 days prior to it being announced.

Might have been a surgery that was needed and known and a good time to do it (for insurance purposes etc.)

I'd imagine the promoters and all other parties were likely all in favor of including Charlie in the marketing materials etc, even if they knew that he wasn't going to be on the tour.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: August 9, 2021 19:48

Well the Lynrd Skynrd band has replaced the only original member Gary Rossington to now become a 100% tribute band with no original members. Replaced him with a similar tribute band member from Thin Lizzy who has just one original guitarist member remaining.

So, with the stones we have 2 members out of 5 original for this upcoming tour.

The tribute competition is heavy nowadays it seems.

Reminds me of a song... Money money money - Mon neh

Can't say I blame them, we live once as far as we know, and we need fun.And Money.

Funny Money

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 9, 2021 19:55

Dougratajczak87

Might have been a surgery that was needed and known and a good time to do it (for insurance purposes etc.)

It could have also been a routine medical check in conjunction with the Tour-start. Then the doctors found something and suggested an "urgent" treatment (better now than after the Tour). Charlie agreed the treatment and now he has to recover from it for a while. Just a guess.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 9, 2021 20:03

So long as there's Mick and Chuck, I'm happy..............smoking smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 9, 2021 20:11

EddieByword

Chuck Leavells magical Plinkestra is proud to present the aerobics of Sir Mick Jagger? count me out

Date: August 9, 2021 20:15

Nikkei
EddieByword

Chuck Leavells magical Plinkestra is proud to present the aerobics of Sir Mick Jagger? count me out

Nur ein Witz Nikkei, nur ein Witz .............

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 9, 2021 20:31

EddieByword
Nikkei
EddieByword

I'm afraid it's all too possible

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: August 9, 2021 21:19

three16
Well the Lynrd Skynrd band has replaced the only original member Gary Rossington to now become a 100% tribute band with no original members. Replaced him with a similar tribute band member from Thin Lizzy who has just one original guitarist member remaining.

Can't say I blame them, we live once as far as we know, and we need fun.And Money.

Funny Money

Bring back Mick Taylor to help out on guitar and cover for Ronnie if he gets bad news and we have 4 Stones members, bring back Bill and five Stones members, its doable.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 9, 2021 21:37

wavelength
What a sham!

The RS were about sex, drugs, youth and rebellion.

What'd you epect them to do? Play the rebellion act and gob on the carpet like Johhny Rotten does? Mmmmmm...
Drugs? They are everywhere now while they were an oddity and a hip thing in the 60's : there's nothing rebellious in taking drugs in 2020, your baker does C. your postman probably tried H. on a Saturday night party.
What's the point for the band to keep on playing that card? Mick stopped touting that thing to promote the band in the mid-70's and I think that was wise.

wavelength
They are now a geriatric con job and they believe their own con.
I hope you understand youth is the one life's variable we have no control over...

wavelength
They should have quit when they were ahead. What a way to end a career...

Ahead of what? Whom? They play larger venues and more markets (south America Asia) than in the 70's. There are people on this planet who eagerly look forward to Sept. 26 and that's fine by me.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 9, 2021 21:40

Topi
georgemcdonnell314

Yes. Part of that has to do with the fact that social media is the dominating means of communication these days.

I wish they had genuinely tried to 'grow this thing up.' They had moments of doing that in their solo careers, but together they were a bad influence on each other. It was just so easy to go out on the never-ending heritage tour.
But ... this was the decision they made. Rock 'til you drop. I guess that has a certain nobility to it.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 9, 2021 21:41

wonderboy
Topi
georgemcdonnell314

I wish they had genuinely tried to 'grow this thing up.' They had moments of doing that in their solo careers, but together they were a bad influence on each other. It was just so easy to go out on the never-ending heritage tour.
But ... this was the decision they made. Rock 'til you drop. I guess that has a certain nobility to it.

Oops, this was supposed to be a response to stoneage.

Date: August 9, 2021 21:46

Nikkei
EddieByword
Nikkei
EddieByword

I'm afraid it's all too possible

Hmmm, yes, Mick, Dave Grohl, Mick Taylor, Darryl and Steve Jordan..............spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ..........and Chuck of course......cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-09 21:47 by EddieByword.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 9, 2021 22:14

I asked this a while back, and I don’t think I got a reply. Is there a contract yet for the 60th anniversary tour? And if so, I wouldn’t that contract be similar to the No Filter Tour contract where Charlie would be replaced, if he couldn’t play?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 9, 2021 22:21

I know we're making a big deal of this, and it is. But Mick was ready to replace Keith when he faced a long prison term from his Toronto shenanigans. It's a cut throat world. There's money to be made, and there aren't that many tours left in the tank.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 9, 2021 22:22

Rocktiludrop
three16

Funny Money

Bring back Mick Taylor to help out on guitar and cover for Ronnie if he gets bad news and we have 4 Stones members, bring back Bill and five Stones members, its doable.
Is not Bill86? The time to bring back Bill was on the European leg of the 50 and Counting Tour , not now.They should have let Taylor play the entire shows on that tour.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: August 9, 2021 22:25

Well, I guess the Stones ate history. Mayy be a few shows or the tour without Charlie. But no Rolling Stones anymore.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 9, 2021 22:35

NashvilleBlues
I asked this a while back, and I don’t think I got a reply. Is there a contract yet for the 60th anniversary tour? And if so, I wouldn’t that contract be similar to the No Filter Tour contract where Charlie would be replaced, if he couldn’t play?

Didn't get a reply from whom? All anyone here can do is speculate.

Why would there be a signed contract for a "60th Anniversary Tour"? Anyone here who has any knowledge indicates they do things one tour at a time, which accords with common sense.

The question is, will there be a 60th Anniversary Tour now that Charlie is done? Will they sign contracts for a tour without Charlie, as opposed to the current situation where everything was already done when he bowed out.

(don't bother with the replies, he's not coming back, other than maybe for a one-off farewell in London or something).

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 9, 2021 22:39

Rokyfan
NashvilleBlues

Didn't get a reply from whom? All anyone here can do is speculate.

Why would there be a signed contract for a "60th Anniversary Tour"? Anyone here who has any knowledge indicates they do things one tour at a time, which accords with common sense.

The question is, will there be a 60th Anniversary Tour now that Charlie is done? Will they sign contracts for a tour without Charlie, as opposed to the current situation where everything was already done when he bowed out.

(don't bother with the replies, he's not coming back, other than maybe for a one-off farewell in London or something).

Bingo!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home