Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 7, 2021 08:36

I wish Charlie a full and speedy recovery. He’s the (heart)beat of The Stones.

And, BUT, this is the very reason I’ve been harping on about them finishing a new record. One day (soon) they simply won’t be in a position to do so. They are old. They still think Time is on Their Side. It’s not.

Nor mine, truth be told, and I’d selfishly like something new from the lads! I know it won’t be another Exile, or Beggars, or Sticky or LIB. But truthfully I’d be super happy with another Bang!

Too much to ask after 16 years from their last album of original material? They are artists. Create!!!!!

Rod

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 7, 2021 09:47

kv2915
illyad1960
all this talk about no Charlie I believe will for nothing. After reading about the troubles Garth Brooks is having with his stadium tour and Covid I think this Stones tour gets cancelled. Too much risk with delta variant floating around.

What trouble is Garth having? His shows sell out in an hour. He is making this call on his own.

Tickets for a Seattle show in September were supposed to go on sale yesterday but the show has been postponed. I believe there are some other shows that have been postponed, also.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 7, 2021 11:57

bitusa2012
I wish Charlie a full and speedy recovery. He’s the (heart)beat of The Stones.

And, BUT, this is the very reason I’ve been harping on about them finishing a new record. One day (soon) they simply won’t be in a position to do so. They are old. They still think Time is on Their Side. It’s not.

Nor mine, truth be told, and I’d selfishly like something new from the lads! I know it won’t be another Exile, or Beggars, or Sticky or LIB. But truthfully I’d be super happy with another Bang!

Too much to ask after 16 years from their last album of original material? They are artists. Create!!!!!

I cannot agree with you more and I have been saying this for a while now. I mean they act as if they have a good ten years left. Sadly they do not.

They had so much time to finish an album and they blew it off like.. I dunno .. like they have all the time in the world? Not that this is the most important thing in their lives but they continue to try touring. Guys .. In case you all havent noticed .. you have been on borrowed time since 2012 .. Lol?

I wish Charlie the best at this point. When he recovers I just want them to finish an album... you know the one they have been working on and talking about for six years now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-07 12:02 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: August 7, 2021 15:00

RisingStone
Don’t know why, but for me, the Stones with Steve Jordan are somewhat easier to be accepted than Led Zeppelin with Jason Bonham, at least.

B*llocks! There is a big difference here, Charlie is still with us and does not need to be replaced. Sadly, John Bonham is not with us.

This is all about $$$$$$$$ and anything other than the Rolling Stones on the ticket would not sell out 60-80,000 seater stadiums.

Posted by: stones2 ()
Date: August 7, 2021 15:15

No Charlie ...no The Rolling Stones ...no tour for me ....no.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 7, 2021 15:53

Well I guess I heard this at about 12 to 13 or 14 years old when it came out on the radio.
I'm 70 last July 12, also the anniversary of the first Stones gig, (albeit Mick Avory of the Mighty Mighty Kinks, tho the drummer that day in 62 has spurred debate)...

.I was a messed up kid moved around a lot And
Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind..
... that's kinda like parental guidance if you're a lost generation Rock and Roll snipe way before it was really fashionsble or accepted or seen as a normal... Be or Saw as clever rather than a disturbance.
So when I finally Saw them at age 21 with Nicky and Stu it just broke me right down to the most basic amazing experience I ever had or would want to share, almost like a ministry, with other humans.

More later. Hopkins is a little upset.
But triumphant in the power and absolute glory of The Rolling Stones.
Beyond their mortal meanderings and musings as nasty ol lechers borve if dirty middle and lower caste White blues soaked Dirty boys.

is the evening of the day
I sit and watch the children play
Smiling faces I can see
But not for me
I sit and watch
As tears go by
My riches can't buy everything
I want to hear the children sing
All I hear is the sound
Of rain falling on the ground
I sit and watch
As tears go by
It is the evening of the day
I sit and watch the children play
Doing things I used to do
They think are new
I sit and watch
As tears go by

Date: August 7, 2021 15:57

Now that my maudlin moment is through.
I believe Charlie Watts will he doing this again with these old dogs.
[youtu.be]

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 7, 2021 17:11

Captain Teague
RisingStone
Don’t know why, but for me, the Stones with Steve Jordan are somewhat easier to be accepted than Led Zeppelin with Jason Bonham, at least.

B*llocks! There is a big difference here, Charlie is still with us and does not need to be replaced. Sadly, John Bonham is not with us.

This is all about $$$$$$$$ and anything other than the Rolling Stones on the ticket would not sell out 60-80,000 seater stadiums.

Charlie is still with us, but he is eighty years old now. At that age, any health-related hitches can happen to him at any given time.
All major rock concerts are for profiting, more or less — at least that’s part of the motivations and purposes of running them, and big at that. It’s “business as usual”. I am going realistic here. Admittedly it’s going more and more blatant these days as the tIcket prices rise.

Date: August 7, 2021 17:45

Charlie, get well soon. In our Prayers in this home for SURE!
Hang tight. You're tough enough.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-07 17:49 by hopkins.

Date: August 7, 2021 17:56

We'll have to face the reality.
Everything suggests this is the final phase of Stones' great career.
Many will have problem to accept it and push for various forms of continuing.
But the best the Stones can do is to play those shows with replacement drummer, then privately ask Charlie if he can and wants to continue.
If not, call it quits. If Charlie can work in studio only try to finish the album, maybe.
All they have done since 2012 is a bonus.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 7, 2021 18:16

stones2

I wonder how it would be if the Internet existed in 1969. "No Brian Jones no The Rolling Stones. Who's that guy, Mick Taylor? They should quit" etc.

They played without Brian, they played without Stu, they played without Bill. They will play without Charlie if they want to.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: August 7, 2021 18:54

By today's standards the Stones weren't even old in '90 when Bill decided he had had enough, and although their best albums were behind them you could make the case that they were still in the prime of their live performance era.

Nowadays, they are clearly past it on both fronts but that doesn't mean they can't provide a satisfying live performance for their fans wherever and whenever they turn up.

Given that this was an emergency situation with Charlie, and is a relatively short tour of previously postponed dates, I don't think it's a big deal that they found a substitute.

My view would change if Charlie was forced or elected to retire and the band attempted to soldier on with a permanent replacement. That goes double for Keith.

There would be no attempt without Mick, I think that is obvious.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: August 7, 2021 19:46

Captain Teague
RisingStone

Yeah money has something to do with it, but it's also about commitment and responsibility, at their age you can't keep putting things back to next year, plus you wouldn't get Keith to Tour just for the money, he needs to do something he loves doing, no shame in that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-07 19:53 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 7, 2021 19:53

JimmyTheSaint
By today's standards the Stones weren't even old in '90 when Bill decided he had had enough, and although their best albums were behind them you could make the case that they were still in the prime of their live performance era.

That was 22 years ago, the No Security Tour, the last flare from the lighthouse, to paraphrase Keith concerning Brian. And that only occurred because they were in tip top shape from extensively touring for BTB.

Date: August 7, 2021 20:19

franzk
stones2

I wonder how it would be if the Internet existed in 1969. "No Brian Jones no The Rolling Stones. Who's that guy, Mick Taylor? They should quit" etc.

They played without Brian, they played without Stu, they played without Bill. They will play without Charlie if they want to.

They won't play without Jagger& Richards. winking smiley

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: August 7, 2021 20:26

Given that this was Charlies decision and that he discussed it with Mick and Keith, is anyone other than me willing to admit that this might be for the best, I've noticed Charlie has been struggling to keep pace for a few tours now, The Stones have been playing the songs too slow, it's like the Elephant in the room, it's ok to say Keith is past it or Mick's voice isn't so good but no one dare admit Charlie is not what he once was, I'd go so far as to say he's slightly over rated as a drummer these days, don't get me wrong this isn't personal , of course everyone loves Charlie and he is so loyal to the Stones and it will seem weird without him, but he's not dead, he has given his blessing and I'm sure he appreciates Steve helping the band out to fulfill these long awaited tour dates.
The point I'm making is that this is an exciting prospect when you get passed Charlie not touring this time round, this might bring some lost energy and pace that the Stones have been lacking since as far back as 2005' 06', this could actually 're-ignite' Keith, and let's be honest everything about the sound of the Stones is down to Keith and can this old Lion roar again.
I'm sorry if some find this attitude insensitive, but remember this post in a few months time and see if i was right.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-07 20:41 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: August 7, 2021 20:42

24FPS
JimmyTheSaint

That was 22 years ago, the No Security Tour, the last flare from the lighthouse, to paraphrase Keith concerning Brian. And that only occurred because they were in tip top shape from extensively touring for BTB.

It was "the last flare from the shipwreck" I think. In any case you are right about the No Security Tour being great although there were some excellent shows on the Licks Tour as well. Especially the amazing theater shows.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 7, 2021 20:57

What are you guys saying, "They still think Time is on Their Side" and "I mean they act as if they have a good ten years left. Sadly they do not."

The band doesn't think that, you guys act as if they are pretending or arrogant. They know their time is short. How do you know how they think or act anyway?

plexi

Date: August 7, 2021 21:15

franzk
stones2

prolly true. Regardless of what you think of it.

plexi

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: August 7, 2021 21:26

timbernardis
What are you guys saying, "They still think Time is on Their Side" and "I mean they act as if they have a good ten years left. Sadly they do not."

The band doesn't think that, you guys act as if they are pretending or arrogant. They know their time is short. How do you know how they think or act anyway?

plexi
This is true that’s why it was called 50 years and counting, the tour in 2012.

Date: August 7, 2021 21:30

drewmaster
I'm honestly quite gobsmacked by the willingness of so many to take this in stride and just say "well, Steve Jordan will do a fine job". (And I say this even though I have tons of respect for Steve Jordan - he is brilliant).

I have to ask - would you be so willing to just roll with the punches if it were Mick or Keith that was MIA?

Drew

no, the show would shut down if either of them went down.

plexi

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 7, 2021 21:32

I’m still don’t know what is wrong with Charlie, why he was in a hospital or had a surgery. Or aren’t we allowed to speak about his health due to privacy?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 7, 2021 21:40

Christiaan

I’m still don’t know what is wrong with Charlie, why he was in a hospital or had a surgery. Or aren’t we allowed to speak about his health due to privacy?

Mick had an heart valve replaced, Keith has arthritis, Ronnie had lung cancer. And Charlie's too cool for speculations .... winking smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 7, 2021 22:03

Christiaan

I think the reason simply wasn't revealed yet. You might want to speculate why.

Date: August 7, 2021 22:07

doitywoik
Christiaan

It could be an "ordinary" appendix inflammation. Average recovery time before sporting about 6 weeks, at an average age, healthy person. Use your fantasy when you're 80 and have to play the drums for two hours.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 7, 2021 22:15

Rolling Stones Live - Roskilde 2014 - youtube right now. Charlie is good tonight!

Date: August 7, 2021 22:26

doitywoik
Christiaan

NO I DON’T WANT TO SPECULATE

Date: August 7, 2021 22:30

Irix
Christiaan

Mick had an heart valve replaced, Keith has arthritis, Ronnie had lung cancer. And Charlie's too cool for speculations .... winking smiley

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smileysmileys with beer

#CharlieIsToCoolForSocialMedia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-07 22:32 by Christiaan.

Date: August 7, 2021 22:33

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: August 7, 2021 23:13

illyad1960
all this talk about no Charlie I believe will for nothing. After reading about the troubles Garth Brooks is having with his stadium tour and Covid I think this Stones tour gets cancelled. Too much risk with delta variant floating around.

Garth Brooks plays to the unvaccinated Fox crowd, that’s his audience. He should cancel.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home