Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 6, 2021 11:27

Conspiracy BS aside, CW has probably been advised by his doctor not to travel. His insurance will probably be null and void if he becomes ill and travelled against medical advice. Simples.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: August 6, 2021 11:33

gotdablouse
StonedAsiaExile
KingmanBarstow
OK, any drummers out there who care to comment? I have never hit a drum in my life, so “expert” drummer comments and thoughts would be welcome. To me Charlie has a tremendously light touch for a rock & roll drummer (bearing in mind, and also being aware, of the jazz background that he has). Steve, no offence to him, on the Winos records hits them pretty hard. So Steve’s drumming on the tour should be interesting. You also have the interplay of him and Jones, two very seasoned and excellent musicians. Finally I will add Godspeed on your recovery Charlie, and the very best of luck to the band and to Steve Jordan joining on the upcoming the tour.

Charlie does have that light touch, he's got a slight swing, and stays behind the beat just enough to cause tension. The Stones don't roll without Charles.

Steve is technically a good drummer but his playing bores me. He's too 'on the beat' mostly and his work with Keith was ok for for solidness but something feels missing.

I personally don't want to see the boys without Charlie but will have to have tix for at least the last 6 shows hopin' Charlie shows up by then.

I'll miss Charlotte in my home state.

Yeah, Jordan is on the beat and LOUD, that Neil Young clip shows it very well. The complete opposite of Charlie. Hopefully he can come back for any 2022 gigs in Europe if not it will be a hard decision to go or not...probably "not" at this stage.

For sure won't go to see the No Stones No Charlie 2022 Anniversary Revue.

I'm curious how ticket sales will be doing in the US...
Wondering how many 'Charlie can come back at every gig'-buyers there will be, bying tix for every gig or especially for the 2nd half of the tour, in comparison to those not going to shows without Charlie for very high prices.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-06 11:51 by micawber.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 6, 2021 11:44

Negativity aside, one must admit they actually care for their fans. It seems important for them to fulfil their obligation concerning the postponed concerts.
And I don't think it's only the money they care about.

Date: August 6, 2021 11:55

Stoneage
Negativity aside, one must admit they actually care for their fans. It seems important for them to fulfil their obligation concerning the postponed concerts.

Probably, they can't be doing this much longer. That's an element in the mix as well, methinks. The joy-part of performing. It's hard to keep on postponing for a band of this age.

They are doing the right thing for the fans, as much as it hurts me to say it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2021 11:59

Its a crazy world at the
moment but they're are trying .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: August 6, 2021 12:10

get well soon charlie!

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Re: Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 80, pulls out of band's US tour after undergoing emergency surgery in London
Posted by: HTD ()
Date: August 6, 2021 12:18

Woz
Bashlets
It won’t even sound like the stones. I’m out

LOL! Overreact much? No doubt this sucks but it will sound like the Stones.

Probably not. Watch a Winos video. Jordan beats the hell out of the drums. Charlie has a smooth jazzman's touch. It will sound like Keith Moon sitting in, although Jordan can keep time.

Duck

Re: Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 80, pulls out of band's US tour after undergoing emergency surgery in London
Date: August 6, 2021 12:22

HTD
Woz
Bashlets

Probably not. Watch a Winos video. Jordan beats the hell out of the drums. Charlie has a smooth jazzman's touch. It will sound like Keith Moon sitting in, although Jordan can keep time.

Duck

Charlie's snare is pretty heavy on their rocking numbers. Far from a "jazz man's touch", imo.

He's got his own rock'n'roll style, though, which is far from that of Jordan's.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: August 6, 2021 12:26

The chance to see and hear Mick, Keith and Ronny together on stage is rare enough for me, not to miss it, if i have the chance. Is that English...?
US 2021 could be (one of) the last of them possibilities. I don´t feel like a traitor to Charlie, because i know i would like it even better with him. But that alone won´t keep me from trying to go to Vegas.
Every time we have a family gathering i hope to see one particular brother of my mom there. But i know that time works against most of us, so i´ll enjoy the party, even if that particular uncle can´t make it (but tries to make it the next time again). Matter of fact. The other family members ain´t too shabby either.

Again - Get well soon, Wembley Whammer!

Cheers, Fillmore

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 12:54

HTD
Woz
Bashlets

Duck

Steve Jordan can absolutely play with a gentler touch,..I think he'll do a superb job while Charlie is recovering:

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: August 6, 2021 12:55

Get well soon, Charlie!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 6, 2021 13:02

roundnround
Just want to set the record straight... I conducted the interview with Steve Jordan for the Darryl Jones documentary. What has been "quoted" here by some people is wildly exaggerated and inaccurate. It was a long interview and Steve said many positive things about both Bill Wyman and Darryl. He did not trash Bill or devalue his contributions to the Stones at all. He did say that Bill seemed stiff and rusty at the Stones 50th anniversary concert in London in 2012, but he did not trash Bill or say that he was anything other than a great bass player. As is Darryl Jones. This is not a competition. They are both great in their own ways, and I'm sure Steve will do very well with the Stones on this tour...
Thank you for clarifying the situation. I feel a lot better because it bothered me to think that Steve had bad mouth Bill Wyman. Simply listen what Bill Wyman played with Stones and it is evident that his musical contributions were as important as the rest of band, each one of them. Bill is great and Darryl is a fantastic player. Thank you Roundround.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 6, 2021 13:06

Roll73
HTD
Woz
Bashlets

Duck

he toured with Clapton and Clapton surely isn't a rock act these days

Steve Jordan can absolutely play with a gentler touch,..I think he'll do a superb job while Charlie is recovering:

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 13:07

HotStuff92
GlimmerGirl24
All four signed contracts that include the clause if Ronnie or Charlie are unable to perform, they will be replaced. The current contract also prohibits them from performing - not even a solo one off gig until this tour is completed. Yes, they could refuse to tour and spend years in litigation or settle quickly, either way no one is going to be eager to offer them contracts in the future.

I'm not doubting you, because you've proven to be reliable in regards to inside info. But if they're prohibited from doing any shows until the current tour is finished, how does that explain the show for Robert Kraft in Boston? Does it get a slide because it's a private show?

I've never asked. There's probably a page or two in the contracts concerning their private shows for birthday parties. In this instance, Kraft owns an NFL team and if my memory is correct, isn't the NFL a sponsor of the tour? I'd think the private show falls under tour sponsor show and would be considered part of the tour.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: August 6, 2021 13:21

Charlie Watts is THE Rolling Stones drummer. Nobody can replace HIM.
We hope Charlie will recover soon and that he’ll be able to tour. It is much better to postpone the tour and see the band with Charlie than to see the Stones without him.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 6, 2021 13:45

Hopefully the Stones will never do the same as AC/DC did in 2016 - performing as "AXL/DC" in a wheelchair .... eye rolling smiley

[www.YouTube.com] , [www.RollingStone.com]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 6, 2021 13:52

Hey, they could play "Razor's Edge" at Gillette Stadium! winking smiley

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 6, 2021 14:23

I wonder if they will ramp up the tempo on some songs when they have Jordan on drums. Maybe not only Charlie but also Keith is more comfortable with the slower tempos we have become used to the last 10 years.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 6, 2021 14:49

Get well soon CW.....but I'm also excited to see the Stones play with Jordan.....Slave?...Heartbreaker?....more Black & Blue than normal?.....can't wait for Tampa!!!

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 6, 2021 15:01

TheBlockbuster
I wonder if they will ramp up the tempo on some songs when they have Jordan on drums. Maybe not only Charlie but also Keith is more comfortable with the slower tempos we have become used to the last 10 years.
I love the slower tempos. It's like they're really leaning into it. They're rushed through the set for the whole ABB tour.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 6, 2021 16:05

hopkins
They sorta should be refundable. The Rolling Stones is what was contracted with the ticket sale.
All the advertising prominently features Mr.Watts.
It's not like a Broadway show where you could get a stand in for a character part.
Now I trust that you're correct because I don't know anything about the actual legalities but it's my feeling. The More I think about it. It's a personal thing admittedly, but the world's greatest Rock and Roll band is what's being promoted.
That's not Steve. No offense. He's a way different stylist.

You could well be right. Not so long ago I got a refund for a show after receiving an email saying that the main artist originally advertised would no longer be appearing. The refund was given with no questions even though at the point of ticket purchase it was stated that the tickets were non-refundable. I just told
them I wanted a refund because the show was no longer as advertised.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 16:42

You could well be right. Not so long ago I got a refund for a show after receiving an email saying that the main artist originally advertised would no longer be appearing. The refund was given with no questions even though at the point of ticket purchase it was stated that the tickets were non-refundable. I just told
them I wanted a refund because the show was no longer as advertised.[/quote]

Something tells me the Stones won’t see it that way.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 6, 2021 16:45

Stoneage

If you believe that l have a bridge to sell you,It is all about the money and whoever falls by the side (Charlie) too f---ng bad.
They will continue to milk the nostalgia crowds till either Mick or Keith dies,and even then the one left alive will find a way to continue the money machine rolling....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 6, 2021 17:09

ROPENI
Stoneage

If you believe that l have a bridge to sell you,It is all about the money and whoever falls by the side (Charlie) too f---ng bad.
They will continue to milk the nostalgia crowds till either Mick or Keith dies,and even then the one left alive will find a way to continue the money machine rolling....

Nobody is forcing you to go. They aren’t milking anyone. I agree with Stoneage

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 17:18

Well, they had to postpone the tour once. Of course its also about money, contracts etc.
But they may feel like its time to go now or never.
Time waits for no one.
What ever is going to happen. I wish all the best to these guys! They have given more than just pleasure to my life.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: August 6, 2021 17:20

GasLightStreet
hopkins
They sorta should be refundable. The Rolling Stones is what was contracted with the ticket sale.
All the advertising prominently features Mr.Watts.
It's not like a Broadway show where you could get a stand in for a character part.
Now I trust that you're correct because I don't know anything about the actual legalities but it's my feeling. The More I think about it. It's a personal thing admittedly, but the world's greatest Rock and Roll band is what's being promoted.
That's not Steve. No offense. He's a way different stylist.

If you bought AC/DC tickets before Brian Johnson lost his hearing for a show after he lost his hearing... and Axl Rose is the singer, it's still AC/DC.

That's the legalities of it. It's that simple.

I was offered a refund for Axl/DC. I didn't take it and it was ok but it wasn't AC/DC.

I'm glad I do not have the dilemma of a Charlie-less Stones this year.

For the first time ever I am disappointed with Keith's BS about No Charlie, No Stones. If this is a contractual obligation, WTF are they doing signing a contract like that?

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 17:23

I wouldn't feel as excited as I used to going to a Stones show.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 6, 2021 17:32

Irix
Hopefully the Stones will never do the same as AC/DC did in 2016 - performing as "AXL/DC" in a wheelchair .... eye rolling smiley

[www.YouTube.com] , [www.RollingStone.com]

Wow. Sometimes the show shouldn’t go on

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: August 6, 2021 17:58

Why do people assume the Stones were contractually obligated to continue this tour without Charlie? Do you really think they would have a contract obliging them to play even if one of their principle members was not able to join for whatever reason? They are doing this tour because they choose to.

Date: August 6, 2021 18:01

TornAndFried
Why do people assume the Stones were contractually obligated to continue this tour without Charlie? Do you really think they would have a contract obliging them to play even if one of their principle members was not able to join for whatever reason? They are doing this tour because they choose to.

Because there was a 2014 contract that leaked, saying exactly that.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1660
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home