Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 6, 2021 03:44

LOL. I said that on page one

Date: August 6, 2021 03:54

I am just hoping for the best that Mick, Keith and hopefully Ronnie can all get into a groove. I think they did ok overcoming Brian, Mick Taylor and Stu. They lost a big step when they lost Bill but losing Charlie is like taking the air out of the balloon.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: August 6, 2021 04:09

Just want to set the record straight... I conducted the interview with Steve Jordan for the Darryl Jones documentary. What has been "quoted" here by some people is wildly exaggerated and inaccurate. It was a long interview and Steve said many positive things about both Bill Wyman and Darryl. He did not trash Bill or devalue his contributions to the Stones at all. He did say that Bill seemed stiff and rusty at the Stones 50th anniversary concert in London in 2012, but he did not trash Bill or say that he was anything other than a great bass player. As is Darryl Jones. This is not a competition. They are both great in their own ways, and I'm sure Steve will do very well with the Stones on this tour...

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 6, 2021 04:22

DGA35
Steve was part of Paul Shaffer's original band on Letterman show back in the 80s. I wonder if he's going to play the songs in his style or try to copy Charlie's style?

He can try to copy but I don't think anyone can get the Charlie thing down and I don't think Steve will do that. He has his own way of playing.

I've been trying to 'copy' Charlie's playing for 45 years and am still amazed at many of the Charlie-isms when it comes to playing! smileys with beer

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 6, 2021 04:35

Javadave
Yoko would be the tits on some of the Their Satanic Majesties Request numbers.

At least somebody here is thinking. Right on.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 6, 2021 04:36

IMHO I don't think the band just wants to finish this tour commitment and enjoy the holidays.

They're a band, a great live one, who have been doing this for 60 years.

It's what they do, it's what they are, it's what they love or they would have quit long ago.

I know Keith is always itching to get on the road and look how quickly Mick did after the heart surgery.

They love this stuff!

Posted by: HotStuff92 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 04:41

GlimmerGirl24
All four signed contracts that include the clause if Ronnie or Charlie are unable to perform, they will be replaced. The current contract also prohibits them from performing - not even a solo one off gig until this tour is completed. Yes, they could refuse to tour and spend years in litigation or settle quickly, either way no one is going to be eager to offer them contracts in the future.

I'm not doubting you, because you've proven to be reliable in regards to inside info. But if they're prohibited from doing any shows until the current tour is finished, how does that explain the show for Robert Kraft in Boston? Does it get a slide because it's a private show?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 6, 2021 04:47

angee
Dougrat--problem is, does that hold true for the new, added shows too? I didn't think so.

No, the new shows are not refundable.

Date: August 6, 2021 05:10

They sorta should be refundable. The Rolling Stones is what was contracted with the ticket sale.
All the advertising prominently features Mr.Watts.
It's not like a Broadway show where you could get a stand in for a character part.
Now I trust that you're correct because I don't know anything about the actual legalities but it's my feeling. The More I think about it. It's a personal thing admittedly, but the world's greatest Rock and Roll band is what's being promoted.
That's not Steve. No offense. He's a way different stylist.

Date: August 6, 2021 05:15

Charlie is essential. I don't think it's The Stones without Charlie.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 6, 2021 05:36

Instead of No Filter, the tour will be remembered as No Charlie.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 05:42

You always have the option to sell your non-refundable tix.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 6, 2021 05:46

Of course it won't sound the same. They lost the wobble when Bill left. They lose Charlie's slight hesitation and artistic sense. It won't be the same band. It will sound more conventional, which is what the bass has sounded like the past 30 years. So accept it. The younguns payin' through the nose to hear the hits probably won't even notice. They had no idea who Mick Taylor was. Who knows? It might be good. I don't expect it to be great. It's the 'Contractually Bound, No Charlie Tour'.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 6, 2021 06:26

Charlie is going to get the biggest ovation ever when he is well enough to step back on stage. I hope I'm there for that night, whenever it is.

I wish him the very best wishes for a speedy, pain free recovery.

As for Steve Jordan stepping in, I admit to being a bit disappointed. I know Keith loves him, and he seems like an awesome guy, but I don't particularly love his drum sound on the Wino records. If he tries to sound like Charlie, then I am cool with that. I agree with others who say this won't affect the set list. I can't imagine that there will ever be a time when the Rolling Stones play a song off a solo record during a regular tour (I write that knowing someone out there will correct me for being wrong, and that it's already happened! lol)

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 6, 2021 06:38

CindyC
Charlie is going to get the biggest ovation ever when he is well enough to step back on stage. I hope I'm there for that night, whenever it is.

As for Steve Jordan stepping in, I admit to being a bit disappointed. I know Keith loves him, and he seems like an awesome guy, but I don't particularly love his drum sound on the Wino records. If he tries to sound like Charlie, then I am cool with that. I agree with others who say this won't affect the set list. I can't imagine that there will ever be a time when the Rolling Stones play a song off a solo record during a regular tour (I write that knowing someone out there will correct me for being wrong, and that it's already happened! lol)

Billy Preston, Outta Space (1975?)

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 6, 2021 06:44

treaclefingers

Billy Preston, Outta Space (1975?)

I KNEW IT! lol i was thinking more of a Rolling Stones member's solo stuff though, so that doesn't really count!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: August 6, 2021 06:49

OK, any drummers out there who care to comment? I have never hit a drum in my life, so “expert” drummer comments and thoughts would be welcome. To me Charlie has a tremendously light touch for a rock & roll drummer (bearing in mind, and also being aware, of the jazz background that he has). Steve, no offence to him, on the Winos records hits them pretty hard. So Steve’s drumming on the tour should be interesting. You also have the interplay of him and Jones, two very seasoned and excellent musicians. Finally I will add Godspeed on your recovery Charlie, and the very best of luck to the band and to Steve Jordan joining on the upcoming the tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-06 07:07 by KingmanBarstow.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: August 6, 2021 08:26

CindyC

Keith did "Sure the One You Need" from Ronnie's first solo album at a Stones concert in Milwaukee in 1975...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 6, 2021 08:28

hopkins
They sorta should be refundable. The Rolling Stones is what was contracted with the ticket sale.
All the advertising prominently features Mr.Watts.
It's not like a Broadway show where you could get a stand in for a character part.
Now I trust that you're correct because I don't know anything about the actual legalities but it's my feeling. The More I think about it. It's a personal thing admittedly, but the world's greatest Rock and Roll band is what's being promoted.
That's not Steve. No offense. He's a way different stylist.

If you bought AC/DC tickets before Brian Johnson lost his hearing for a show after he lost his hearing... and Axl Rose is the singer, it's still AC/DC.

That's the legalities of it. It's that simple.

The Stones aren't some silly little 'up and coming' band. They're BIG MONEY, period. Contracts are contracts. It's probably something along the line of, if the contract expires before being completed by SAID then... SAID needs to figure out how to fulfill the contract because of vagillions of dollars agreed to SAID's original and adjusted contract.

There might be 100 people here that say, NO WAY! yet a majority of those that go to Stones shows

1. won't care - Mick and Keith are the deal
2. don't care - give me Mick and Keith

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 09:00

CindyC

Don’t Look Back in 2002, Chicago. 50% Mick winking smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Re: Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 80, pulls out of band's US tour after undergoing emergency surgery in London
Date: August 6, 2021 09:11

MisterDDDD
georgie48
mickschix
Could this be all a fabrication because Charlie did NOT want to tour the USA with Covid cases running rampant? If it's real, my first thoughts are I'm glad it was not life-threatening, and he is looking forward to rejoining the band. I guess it would be hard to USE a prominent newspaper to tell a lie...and it would be a BIG ONE!I think they have a huge contract problem and that's why they NEED this tour. It makes no sense otherwise, especially with their 60th Anniversary Tour pretty much a certainty for next year. ( unless another band member has a medical issue)
They really have 2 strikes against them now...stay tuned.

Interesting, mickschix. It crossed my mind too. Charlie knows very well what he wants and what he doesn't want. For sure there was no way to get around the contract, unless the US government forbids large scale concerts. In that case the ensurance companies will pay the bill(s). I don't doubt that Charlie had some physical inconvenience, so "big lie" is not the discussion. But at the same time the medical procedure may be a well defined (and for sure true) statement just in time. Anyway, Charlie needs to be in perfect shape around the band's 60th Anniversary, don't you think? Anyway, it's a very selfish question by me.
I had my doubts for a while about coming to the USA this Autumn, especially after reading all the pretty alarming reports on Tell Me from our American friends. No doubts anymore! I fill the rest of this year with listening to lots of great Rolling Stones music (and some other music too, off course) and will patiently be lying on the floor doing some jigzaw puzzles in between.
Our minds will look after Charlie and will make sure he'll be fine and our American friends will for sure give Mick, Keith and Ronnie (and the other musicians on stage) a good time when the tour happens.
smileys with beer

Nope.
No way Charlie (and Stones Inc) comes up with emergency surgery to explain Charlie's reluctant absence from the tour.

Conspiracy theories are way too common these days.
The man's word deserves more respect than this nonsense.

Re: Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 80, pulls out of band's US tour after undergoing emergency surgery in London
Date: August 6, 2021 09:25

MisterDDDD
georgie48
mickschix
Could this be all a fabrication because Charlie did NOT want to tour the USA with Covid cases running rampant? If it's real, my first thoughts are I'm glad it was not life-threatening, and he is looking forward to rejoining the band. I guess it would be hard to USE a prominent newspaper to tell a lie...and it would be a BIG ONE!I think they have a huge contract problem and that's why they NEED this tour. It makes no sense otherwise, especially with their 60th Anniversary Tour pretty much a certainty for next year. ( unless another band member has a medical issue)
They really have 2 strikes against them now...stay tuned.

Interesting, mickschix. It crossed my mind too. Charlie knows very well what he wants and what he doesn't want. For sure there was no way to get around the contract, unless the US government forbids large scale concerts. In that case the ensurance companies will pay the bill(s). I don't doubt that Charlie had some physical inconvenience, so "big lie" is not the discussion. But at the same time the medical procedure may be a well defined (and for sure true) statement just in time. Anyway, Charlie needs to be in perfect shape around the band's 60th Anniversary, don't you think? Anyway, it's a very selfish question by me.
I had my doubts for a while about coming to the USA this Autumn, especially after reading all the pretty alarming reports on Tell Me from our American friends. No doubts anymore! I fill the rest of this year with listening to lots of great Rolling Stones music (and some other music too, off course) and will patiently be lying on the floor doing some jigzaw puzzles in between.
Our minds will look after Charlie and will make sure he'll be fine and our American friends will for sure give Mick, Keith and Ronnie (and the other musicians on stage) a good time when the tour happens.
smileys with beer

Nope.
No way Charlie (and Stones Inc) comes up with emergency surgery to explain Charlie's reluctant absence from the tour.

Conspiracy theories are way too common these days.
The man's word deserves more respect than this nonsense.

Wow. There was this concert in Amsterdam where a TV company was allowed to film, but they (sneaky, under the table) sold the outcome even before it was there to a Swedish company. It was discovered and the concert was cancelled for THAT day. Reason: Mick suddenly had throat problems. To not get into legal problems they also cancelled the soon after Twickenham concert. Have it your way … conspiracy.
Don’t fool the Stones. They have an army of laywers..

Posted by: 69firebird ()
Date: August 6, 2021 09:34

Charlie Is My Missing Darling!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 6, 2021 09:58

Steve Jordan played Gimme Shelter & Happy great on the second Winos tour. Plenty of recorded evidence of that around. I couldn't find the broadcast performance but here's Steve playing with Neil Young rehearsing what turned out to be one of the greatest musical performances ever on that show.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 6, 2021 10:04

kv2915
You always have the option to sell your non-refundable tix.

Speaking of reselling, that got me wondering what the resale market is going to look like.

A lot of scalpers are probably going to take a bath with this tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-06 10:06 by Topi.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 6, 2021 10:12

KingmanBarstow
OK, any drummers out there who care to comment? I have never hit a drum in my life, so “expert” drummer comments and thoughts would be welcome. To me Charlie has a tremendously light touch for a rock & roll drummer (bearing in mind, and also being aware, of the jazz background that he has). Steve, no offence to him, on the Winos records hits them pretty hard. So Steve’s drumming on the tour should be interesting. You also have the interplay of him and Jones, two very seasoned and excellent musicians. Finally I will add Godspeed on your recovery Charlie, and the very best of luck to the band and to Steve Jordan joining on the upcoming the tour.

Charlie does have that light touch, he's got a slight swing, and stays behind the beat just enough to cause tension. The Stones don't roll without Charles.

Steve is technically a good drummer but his playing bores me. He's too 'on the beat' mostly and his work with Keith was ok for for solidness but something feels missing.

I personally don't want to see the boys without Charlie but will have to have tix for at least the last 6 shows hopin' Charlie shows up by then.

I'll miss Charlotte in my home state.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2021 10:44

Imagine the scene if Charlie makes
a rapid recovery and returns ta play
for the last 2-3 shows ...... Place will go CRAZY .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 6, 2021 11:19

Maybe he recovers and rejoins, maybe he bows out now. You have to be pretty cruel to insist an 80yo man keeps touring. Whatever Charlie chooses to do, he's been part of some of the best music ever recorded. Total respect to you Mr Watts smileys with beer

Meanwhile, the show goes on...

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: August 6, 2021 11:22

Rockman
Imagine the scene if Charlie makes
a rapid recovery and returns ta play
for the last 2-3 shows ...... Place will go CRAZY ....

Personally I feel that won't happen, not in 2021 and probably never ever.
I don't trust in the marketing statements regarding Charlie's "medical procedure" very much...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-06 11:23 by micawber.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 6, 2021 11:25

StonedAsiaExile
KingmanBarstow

Charlie does have that light touch, he's got a slight swing, and stays behind the beat just enough to cause tension. The Stones don't roll without Charles.

Steve is technically a good drummer but his playing bores me. He's too 'on the beat' mostly and his work with Keith was ok for for solidness but something feels missing.

I personally don't want to see the boys without Charlie but will have to have tix for at least the last 6 shows hopin' Charlie shows up by then.

I'll miss Charlotte in my home state.

Yeah, Jordan is on the beat and LOUD, that Neil Young clip shows it very well. The complete opposite of Charlie. Hopefully he can come back for any 2022 gigs in Europe if not it will be a hard decision to go or not...probably "not" at this stage, especially given how much it's likely to cost !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-06 11:39 by gotdablouse.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home