Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 6, 2021 00:00

In 1975 they toured with a hired guitar player, a percussionist who was taking over some drum parts, a keyboarder who was singing two of his own songs in the middle of the show and doing synthesizer intros for acoustic songs like Wild Horses or Angie ( just imagine the sacrilege Matt Clifford would do a string intro for Wild Horses instead of guitars ...). And till today the 1975 tour is the favorite tour for some people on this board here.
It will be different with a Steve Jordan/ Darryl Jones rhythm-section but it will be great and very special.

Get well soon, Charlie, all the best wishes for you !!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 6, 2021 00:01

TumblinDice76
I think this increases the chance of a warm up gig. Not sure they will just go into St. Louis with out a club show under their belt.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 00:09

dcba
TumblinDice76
I think this increases the chance of a warm up gig. Not sure they will just go into St. Louis with out a club show under their belt.

smileys with beer

Private party for Mr. Kraft will be the warm up gig.

September 20th.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 6, 2021 00:16

Sending out love and best wishes for a speedy recovery to Charlie

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 00:26

Steve was part of Paul Shaffer's original band on Letterman show back in the 80s. I wonder if he's going to play the songs in his style or try to copy Charlie's style?

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: August 6, 2021 00:32

Best wishes to Charlie and thanks for all the great years.

Touring without Charlie? The other guys are old too just like me. What is extra bad about covid in addition to not being able to see the grandkids now is that there is the thought that travel may not open up before I pass. If I had a chance I would go visit tomorrow. It's not like I am 50 years old and have a longtime in an open future. Keith, Ron, and Mick might feel the same way.

I never saw Muddy Waters band in person but I did see Jimmy Rogers live just before he died. He needed help to climb two steps onto the small stage. Glad I saw and heard him. Heck, I would go see Ron solo. Hope whomever is the last Stone standing continues to tour.

Date: August 6, 2021 00:34

Woz
Why not bring in a kick-ass young guitarist to stand in the shadows and play what Keith cannot anymore, like many aging bands do? Without Charlie its not the Rolling Stones its going to be the Rolling Stones Revue starring the Glimmer Twins, backed by the Chuck Leavall Orchestra.

You're forgetting they already did this in the 90s with Blondie Chaplain et all......that huge touring band was more the "Rolling Stones Revue" than the relatively stripped down band they have been touring since 2013.

Charlie is ailing but the show must go on for numerous business related reasons that I am sure if everyone thought about it would understand. Once one accepts that, the curiosity about how this will sound, impacts the set list etc etc kicks in. It's a weird situation we never expected but I'll roll with the tumbling dice....

Blondie never played any of Keith's parts.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 6, 2021 00:38

DandelionPowderman
Woz
Why not bring in a kick-ass young guitarist to stand in the shadows and play what Keith cannot anymore, like many aging bands do? Without Charlie its not the Rolling Stones its going to be the Rolling Stones Revue starring the Glimmer Twins, backed by the Chuck Leavall Orchestra.

You're forgetting they already did this in the 90s with Blondie Chaplain et all......that huge touring band was more the "Rolling Stones Revue" than the relatively stripped down band they have been touring since 2013.

Charlie is ailing but the show must go on for numerous business related reasons that I am sure if everyone thought about it would understand. Once one accepts that, the curiosity about how this will sound, impacts the set list etc etc kicks in. It's a weird situation we never expected but I'll roll with the tumbling dice....

Blondie never played any of Keith's parts.

I won't count those performances of "Little T&A" or "Wanna Hold You" in 2006/7 with Blondie doing a bit more than just stay in the background ha! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 6, 2021 00:51

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 6, 2021 00:57

Stoneage
If Bill was replaceable then are Charlie and Ron. Basically this is what happens when you don't know when to stop. There is no such thing as a never ending tour.

Yep, they long ago decided to tour as long as possible. Probably as far back as when Brian died, and Mick said, 'It goes on.' Or in 1989 when they re-formed.
I have mixed feelings. On one hand it would be cool if they did a final tour, a final show, and then Mick and/or Keith carried on alone if they wanted. But there is a certain nobility to forging ahead and letting fate take care of the end.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 6, 2021 01:01

DGA35
I wonder if he's going to play the songs in his style or try to copy Charlie's style?

Either way, I'm betting on him being lambasted around here. I don't envy him for that.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 6, 2021 01:05

Beast
DGA35
I wonder if he's going to play the songs in his style or try to copy Charlie's style?

Either way, I'm betting on him being lambasted around here. I don't envy him for that.

I'm sure they'll tell him to play it like he feels it.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 6, 2021 01:10

wonderboy

Like Karl Denson plays it like he feels it - and does not try to imitate Bobby Keys.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: August 6, 2021 01:29

Irix
wonderboy

Like Karl Denson plays it like he feels it - and does not try to imitate Bobby Keys.

Which is why he sounds so out of place doing a Coltrane-esque jazz solo on Brown Sugar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-06 01:37 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 6, 2021 01:30

When Charlie is getting over his medical stuff that is all gonna be fine I'm sure, Steve Jordan will be someone who he has a chat with, as well as his family and close friends. thumbs up

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 6, 2021 01:34

TornAndFried
Irix
wonderboy

Which is why he sounds so put of place doing a Coltrane-esque jazz solo on Brown Sugar.

Thank you for proving my earlier point!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 6, 2021 01:45

I would rather have seen them more active in the 80s and 90s than pursuing this never ending nostalgia tour for decades. When you are closing in on 80 it's time to retire before someone tells you to do so.

Date: August 6, 2021 01:47

Woz
Why not bring in a kick-ass young guitarist to stand in the shadows and play what Keith cannot anymore, like many aging bands do?

That's what you get when music becomes religion. Even if the kick ass guitarist plays 10 times better keith stuff people will not accept it. It took me
1 song after Taylor rejoined the Stones to realise that he forgot how to play with the Stones.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: August 6, 2021 01:50

I think all that they want to do at this point is get this already delayed run of shows behind them before the holidays and be done with it -aside from Covid & Ronnie's latest cancer scare it now has another bad vibe over it since Charlie won't be there and they are as aware of that as we are -

Steve Jordan won't add energy or inspire them to change the set - they will rehearse the same set they did 2 years ago and get the shows over with and he will do exactly what they tell him to -

Hopefully after they Holidays work will resume on an album (and the 60th Anniversary) and I pray Charlie will be willing & able to play - I also hope Bill & Mick Taylor will in some way be included -

It's not a happy occasion for any involved - getting these shows over with and resuming when the world is hopefully in a better place and none of them have been afflicted with anything is probably their main goal -

Personally I'd rather have a new studio album that they took time to work on and finish as opposed to a run of shows that could affect their health and in all honesty won't add anything to their legacy - more than likely this next LP (if it happens) will be the last -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-06 01:51 by cowboytoast.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 6, 2021 01:52

Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery new
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 5, 2021 21:34

The list below is the "best of" right off IORR.
It´s a Rolling Stones site, not a site about
"Rock Music in general" or a sports site with
a topic called "What bands do you like?"

I can´t believe that these things were
written the same day the news about Charlie
came out.

>With Steve Jordan … any chance of Slave and How I Wish? in the set list.
> I'm […] kind of curious what it will sound like and if it shakes things up
>However This could be interesting from a setlist/tempos point of view.
>Maybe Steve Jordan sounds better and Mick and Keith fire Charlie from the band [meant as a "joke"]
>Kenny Jones would have been a better choice if he is still around.
>in the meantime jordans a younger drummer with a different drumming style maybe this will encourage them to mix up the setlist a little do stuff they usaully wouldn't and as i said before maybe keith can pull out a wino number during his set
>They've played with Steve Jordan in the studio, and Steve is Keith's go to drummer when working solo. Plus, Steve Jordan is very good. I have no doubt he will be fine.
>Anyway on the end of the day it is better to see the Stones without Charlie then see nothing.
>It might get interesting w/ Steve Jordan tho´.
>Then again, Steve Jordan might be able to inject some energy back into the Stones.
>As for the shows, it's ok if they make the postponed shows with replacement drummer,
>Then it will be very interesting to see how Steve Jordan will solve complex RS drumming challenge
>Steve Jordan will be an ideal dep for Charlie and the shows will still be great.
>Maybe it'll sound different? Better?
>Different YES, but will it be worse?
>If Daltrey and Townshend are still The Who, then I guess Mick, Keith and Ronnie are still The Rolling Stones
>Now I'm just curious to hear, these reworked Stones.

Smells like treason.

No Charlie - no Stones!

ok i wanted to address this some of these quotes are from me or are of interest to me first off nilsholgersson's "joke" was just plain gross and wrong and hey i'm not one of those that cringes and complains at edgy humor but there is a time and a place for a joke like that and 2 hours after we all learn this and are still taking in the shock is not one of them
you don't joke about 9/11 on 9/11/01 (not that this is anywhere on the same level)

next my comments about jordan shaking things up was with the belief that given the tone of the announcment he would be there temporarliy and charlie was expected to be back sooner or later maybe at the end of the year and as a winos fan who always hopes another album or tour might occur this intrigued me that this was probably going to be a one off tour with jordan then back to normal maybe we'd get some different songs in the mix after they see what songs sound right at rehearsals they might include something different and unusual given the unusual situation
it was not and i hope most would not take my post as in any way expressing my disregard for charlie or his health or the irreplaceable undeniable impact he has had on the bands history and sound and if you did i want to apologize

also i chatted about charlies stiuation with my mother who was a nurse for over 40 years mostly caring for the elderly (i know we don't like to call the stones that but yeah) and given what we know and the supposedly surprise find and need for emergency surgery coupled with his age and the length off his needed recovery she believes it is likley something with his heart possibly a aortic aneurysm put either way doctors usaully stress for any person over 80 that has any kind of serious surgery that they should take it easy for a couple weeks afterwards so it could just be that he feels fine but they are just being very cautious (which is what i dearly hope) and that basicly he is physicaly fine and ready to play but is unable due to insurance reasons
then again she stressed to me that she had seen a lot of physicaly healthy people his age go through something like this and it just really affects them badly and they become very frail and weak and never recover there strength
i really hope this doesn't happen to charlie but we have to face the possiblity
and if it does i hope they finish this contractually obligated tour with as much energy and taste as they can to honour charlie and to give us fans one final big go of it then call it quits for the stones as a touring band countinue it as a studio band where charlie might be able to continue in his role in a way that he can still be vital and contribute well then tour with whoever is left under a different name preferably something simple like "the stones"

and in a more wacky not gonna happen world i can't beleive nobody has suggest little boy blue and his blues boys

and one final thing and this kind folds into the opening act discussion but maybe the wino could open for them that is if they can assemble the members and keith has the energy for it and a stones show in the same day
might be our last best chance at that happening too and i know i'd rather see the winos open for the stones then anyother band (except maybe the new barbarians or whats left of the faces)

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 01:54

Cowboytoast, I like your thinking about the 60th anniversary next year but I guarantee you Taylor and Wyman will not be involved, not least because Bill will be cracking 86.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 6, 2021 02:03

Wasn't there something once said about Mick listening to the first Winos album with Keith, and Mick saying the drummer was too loud, but Keith caught him dancing to it when he thought he wasn't looking?

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 6, 2021 02:05

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-06 02:52 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: August 6, 2021 02:09

I have nothing but love for the Stones. They always have and always will be my favorite band but this is a tough one for me. I would not even consider seeing them without Keith and obviously they would never try it without Mick. If Ronnie was not able to perform I could handle it if Mick T stepped in for him.
Steve Jordan is a great drummer and does have the ability to find and stay in the pocket like Charlie but it will not be the same for me.

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: August 6, 2021 02:48

I remember reading that someplace shortly after the release of Talk Is Cheap.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 6, 2021 03:01

First and foremost, pray for Charlie’s swift recovery and good health. That’s the most important thing.

I have mixed, two contradictory feelings about their decision this time.

As a long-standing fan, no Charlie, no Stones. Period.

My other self, though, can’t hold down the curiosity whether Jordan will bring in something new to the band ensemble, refreshing the Stones’ live sound which I feel has been in a state of stagnation for long years.

Let’s roll the dice and see what happens...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 6, 2021 03:14

Iggyrichards
I have nothing but love for the Stones. They always have and always will be my favorite band but this is a tough one for me. I would not even consider seeing them without Keith and obviously they would never try it without Mick. If Ronnie was not able to perform I could handle it if Mick T stepped in for him.
Steve Jordan is a great drummer and does have the ability to find and stay in the pocket like Charlie but it will not be the same for me.

Good post, Iggyrichards.

I do think the decision on not to see the Stones without Charlie is much easier for those who haven't bought tickets and/or never planned to go this time around. For those of us who did, refunds are not forthcoming, as far as I can tell. So unless you know people without tickets who still want to go badly, you almost have to go, amirite?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 03:16

angee
Iggyrichards

Good post, Iggyrichards.

I do think the decision on not to see the Stones without Charlie is much easier for those who haven't bought tickets and/or never planned to go this time around. For those of us who did, refunds are not forthcoming, as far as I can tell. So unless you know people without tickets who still want to go badly, you almost have to go, amirite?

Shows are still refund eligible due to the reschedule announced July 21st.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 6, 2021 03:23

Dougrat--problem is, does that hold true for the new, added shows too? I didn't think so.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: August 6, 2021 03:35

Not going to peruse some 13 pages of posts to see if his name has already been brought up but does anyone feel that ex-Faces drummmer Kenny Jones would have been a better choice then Steve Jordan? I thought he and Charlie meshed together very well at Ronnie Lane's ALS Benefit Concert way back when and that he'd be closer to what we get from Charlie vs. what Jordan might sound like.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1449
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home