Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: August 5, 2021 19:52

Love the man! I wish him all the best and hope he gets back to himself very, very soon. His drumming is the secret sauce in the Stones' sound. He's a jazz drummer, and a good one, in a rock and roll band. Get well soon Charles Watts!

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 20:03

I would like to echo many thoughts and say get well Charlie. A great drummer and very cool. To stay positive it maybe worth thinking of the 100s of people needed to get the show on the road. It’s good for them that the tour is going ahead.
With Steve Jordan … any chance of Slave and How I Wish? in the set list.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Charlie…

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 20:09

I think this increases the chance of a warm up gig. Not sure they will just go into St. Louis with out a club show under their belt. And as far as the Rose Bowl Jan 1, 2022...zero chance. The Rose Bowl itself is played on 1/1/22. The Stones sound like a VERY expensive half time show, even for the Rose Bowl.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 5, 2021 20:15

Aside from just hoping he's ok, I'm both disappointed he won't be there and also - frankly - kind of curious what it will sound like and if it shakes things up any. Maybe they'll feel the need to put a little more into it to compensate?

Still looking forward to show about as much as I was before. Will be great to see him return next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 20:15 by Send It To me.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: August 5, 2021 20:33

I will never understand how anyone can consider seeing this without Charlie Watts, the soul of the whole band? What’s next? Joe Satriani replacing Keith, no thanks. They should cancel and pray for Charlie.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 20:38

treaclefingers
2014Slayer
Read this article this morning, and for some really odd reason, it mentions the Stones playing the Rose Bowl Jan. 1, 2022!

[deadline.com]

WTF??
Exactly, lol.. waiting for someone in the know to comment further smiling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 5, 2021 21:31

It's likely that if they broke their contract and refused to continue the tour now with a stand-in drummer, it would become impossible to get insurance or book venues for whatever they hope to do for their 60th anniversary next year (with Charlie, God willing).

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 5, 2021 21:31

People, this is the Rolling Stones, not some unknown internet band.

They are top-notch professionals.

They're shows will be outstanding or they wouldn't play.

Steve Jordan is a great drummer, I believe Charlie Watts recommended him to Keith for the Winos.

The most important thing is that Mr. Watts has a full recovery.

The next most no doubt will be the a Stones rocking down the house!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 5, 2021 21:34

The list below is the "best of" right off IORR.
It´s a Rolling Stones site, not a site about
"Rock Music in general" or a sports site with
a topic called "What bands do you like?"

I can´t believe that these things were
written the same day the news about Charlie
came out.

>With Steve Jordan … any chance of Slave and How I Wish? in the set list.
> I'm […] kind of curious what it will sound like and if it shakes things up
>However This could be interesting from a setlist/tempos point of view.
>Maybe Steve Jordan sounds better and Mick and Keith fire Charlie from the band [meant as a "joke"]
>Kenny Jones would have been a better choice if he is still around.
>in the meantime jordans a younger drummer with a different drumming style maybe this will encourage them to mix up the setlist a little do stuff they usaully wouldn't and as i said before maybe keith can pull out a wino number during his set
>They've played with Steve Jordan in the studio, and Steve is Keith's go to drummer when working solo. Plus, Steve Jordan is very good. I have no doubt he will be fine.
>Anyway on the end of the day it is better to see the Stones without Charlie then see nothing.
>It might get interesting w/ Steve Jordan tho´.
>Then again, Steve Jordan might be able to inject some energy back into the Stones.
>As for the shows, it's ok if they make the postponed shows with replacement drummer,
>Then it will be very interesting to see how Steve Jordan will solve complex RS drumming challenge
>Steve Jordan will be an ideal dep for Charlie and the shows will still be great.
>Maybe it'll sound different? Better?
>Different YES, but will it be worse?
>If Daltrey and Townshend are still The Who, then I guess Mick, Keith and Ronnie are still The Rolling Stones
>Now I'm just curious to hear, these reworked Stones.

Smells like treason.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 5, 2021 21:40

Ok. Calm down. This calls for Action, not Emotion.
But Rescue IS in the equation, if you catch my drift.
Ok. Action. The famous logo?
Needs to be stenciled and placed in front of a military Grade powerful, colored Kleig Light over Zak Stsrkey's house. Maureen's final revenge; A Power Pop BEETLE KID The Ultimate Touring Emotional Rescue ALL LEGEND NA PANDEMIC POST HEART SURGERY AND BRAIN SURGERY Touring Rolling Stones.
Not Jordan. Bring back Steve Lilly Wet and call it Dirty Work 21, because that album is Legendey plus we need a Legend. Charlie is a Legend.
We're running out of Legends.
Zak was BORN A LEGEND AND WENT KEITH MOON.
HE TOURED WITH THE OX AND JOHN LET HIM LIVE!!
Think about that, people.
Ron's a Legend maybe they could do Gasoline Alley.
This will be a great time to get a rock bass player too. Maybe....
...GOT IT. Black Crowes open the entire tour.
After 20 minutes, Mick and Keith come on.
Chuck is fired. So is everyone else.
Ron can hang. Ron is cool.
I Saw Ron with Faces in 70. Ron KILLS.
I Saw Ron one of his First Stones gigs in 75 .
Faces was still together except the bass player split.
That's ok. We had Bill and stole two Faces.
Rod Stewart was begging don't leave don't leave.
Well the bands promo people put a Picture of Mick and Keith and Charlie on Facebook and titled it...
The Three Originals. Oops.
It took me till 2015 to consider Ron almost a full Stone. I did. I Made it. Kidding.
No really.
That Tal chick with Jeff Beck on Bass or an UK club guy. Steal an old Kink!
Hope this helps.
Zak Could do it
They could play Can't explain. Mick could PRANCERCISE!

Re: Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 80, pulls out of band's US tour after undergoing emergency surgery in London
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 21:54

mickschix
Could this be all a fabrication because Charlie did NOT want to tour the USA with Covid cases running rampant? If it's real, my first thoughts are I'm glad it was not life-threatening, and he is looking forward to rejoining the band. I guess it would be hard to USE a prominent newspaper to tell a lie...and it would be a BIG ONE!I think they have a huge contract problem and that's why they NEED this tour. It makes no sense otherwise, especially with their 60th Anniversary Tour pretty much a certainty for next year. ( unless another band member has a medical issue)
They really have 2 strikes against them now...stay tuned.

Interesting, mickschix. It crossed my mind too. Charlie knows very well what he wants and what he doesn't want. For sure there was no way to get around the contract, unless the US government forbids large scale concerts. In that case the ensurance companies will pay the bill(s). I don't doubt that Charlie had some physical inconvenience, so "big lie" is not the discussion. But at the same time the medical procedure may be a well defined (and for sure true) statement just in time. Anyway, Charlie needs to be in perfect shape around the band's 60th Anniversary, don't you think? Anyway, it's a very selfish question by me.
I had my doubts for a while about coming to the USA this Autumn, especially after reading all the pretty alarming reports on Tell Me from our American friends. No doubts anymore! I fill the rest of this year with listening to lots of great Rolling Stones music (and some other music too, off course) and will patiently be lying on the floor doing some jigzaw puzzles in between.
Our minds will look after Charlie and will make sure he'll be fine and our American friends will for sure give Mick, Keith and Ronnie (and the other musicians on stage) a good time when the tour happens.
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 5, 2021 21:55

My guess is that Steve Jordan is going to play the parts that Charlie has created over the decades, the parts that are essential to the songs but when the stones are going to play the end of the warhorses where it can get loose and crazy Steve is going to kick some ass which could bring something new and exciting for the musicians and the audience.That would be a good scenario ; respect for the tradition and rock in some little inovation.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: August 5, 2021 21:58

Here's what I think. I think that there was absolutely no way they could cancel the tour. They already canceled once and rescheduled all the dates. I think cause of insurance they couldn't do it again. I also think it really hurts the brand if they cancel again. People bought flights and tickets and all that. The other thing is that they being very very vague. Every instance before they were upfront about the reason. IE Charlie's cancer, Keith's tree incident, micks girlfriend, Ronnie's rehab, it just doesn't make sense. Doesn't add up.

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:18

Get well Charlie! You found a perfect temporary replacement.
[youtu.be]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:19

You Got to Roll Me
Here's what I think. I think that there was absolutely no way they could cancel the tour...

Agree! Who cares if they replace Mick & Keith with Hall & Oates? It's simple, if you don't like it, don't go. If you want to go, enjoy!

Re: Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 80, pulls out of band's US tour after undergoing emergency surgery in London
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:25

georgie48
mickschix
Could this be all a fabrication because Charlie did NOT want to tour the USA with Covid cases running rampant? If it's real, my first thoughts are I'm glad it was not life-threatening, and he is looking forward to rejoining the band. I guess it would be hard to USE a prominent newspaper to tell a lie...and it would be a BIG ONE!I think they have a huge contract problem and that's why they NEED this tour. It makes no sense otherwise, especially with their 60th Anniversary Tour pretty much a certainty for next year. ( unless another band member has a medical issue)

Interesting, mickschix. It crossed my mind too. Charlie knows very well what he wants and what he doesn't want. For sure there was no way to get around the contract, unless the US government forbids large scale concerts. In that case the ensurance companies will pay the bill(s). I don't doubt that Charlie had some physical inconvenience, so "big lie" is not the discussion. But at the same time the medical procedure may be a well defined (and for sure true) statement just in time. Anyway, Charlie needs to be in perfect shape around the band's 60th Anniversary, don't you think? Anyway, it's a very selfish question by me.
I had my doubts for a while about coming to the USA this Autumn, especially after reading all the pretty alarming reports on Tell Me from our American friends. No doubts anymore! I fill the rest of this year with listening to lots of great Rolling Stones music (and some other music too, off course) and will patiently be lying on the floor doing some jigzaw puzzles in between.
Our minds will look after Charlie and will make sure he'll be fine and our American friends will for sure give Mick, Keith and Ronnie (and the other musicians on stage) a good time when the tour happens.
smileys with beer

Nope.
No way Charlie (and Stones Inc) comes up with emergency surgery to explain Charlie's reluctant absence from the tour.

Conspiracy theories are way too common these days.
The man's word deserves more respect than this nonsense.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:32

rollmops
My guess is that Steve Jordan is going to play the parts that Charlie has created over the decades, the parts that are essential to the songs but when the stones are going to play the end of the warhorses where it can get loose and crazy Steve is going to kick some ass which could bring something new and exciting for the musicians and the audience.That would be a good scenario ; respect for the tradition and rock in some little inovation.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Why not bring in a kick-ass young guitarist to stand in the shadows and play what Keith cannot anymore, like many aging bands do? Without Charlie its not the Rolling Stones its going to be the Rolling Stones Revue starring the Glimmer Twins, backed by the Chuck Leavall Orchestra.

Maybe they will just be billed as the Stones, a la the Dead after Jerry's demise.

Anyway, have fun with Jordan's innovations.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:34

georgie48
mickschix

smileys with beer

Well I have no doubt the man had surgery...how the hell are you going to lie about that and have it not come out at some point? If COVID was the concern Charlie simply saying "I'm immuno-compromised and on doctor's orders..." and that would have been fine I'm sure.

So it does sound serious and glad it appears to have been resolved.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:38

TooTough
I think that we see the very last Stones chapter now. There´s
only a few pages left.

Yes, I'm afraid your're right.
No Charlie, no Stones!

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:42

Why not bring in a kick-ass young guitarist to stand in the shadows and play what Keith cannot anymore, like many aging bands do? Without Charlie its not the Rolling Stones its going to be the Rolling Stones Revue starring the Glimmer Twins, backed by the Chuck Leavall Orchestra.

You're forgetting they already did this in the 90s with Blondie Chaplain et all......that huge touring band was more the "Rolling Stones Revue" than the relatively stripped down band they have been touring since 2013.

Charlie is ailing but the show must go on for numerous business related reasons that I am sure if everyone thought about it would understand. Once one accepts that, the curiosity about how this will sound, impacts the set list etc etc kicks in. It's a weird situation we never expected but I'll roll with the tumbling dice....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 22:50 by Woz.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:46

Best wishes to Mr. Watts - personally I have absolutely no interest in a concert by the Stones without Charlie Watts.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:57

I've been torn about this since I heard last night.

Due to the unique circumstances, the show obviously must go on but this is a hard pill to swallow for most of us loyal fans.

With that said, I would be lying if I didn't say I am super curious to hear the results of this group no doubt about it. But I guess I am not ready for it to happen in this way with this siutation.

In a perfect world, Charlie and Steve could split the job between the two as Charlie regains his stamina. Charlie could possibly take on the first and then then for the final few warhorses part of the show while Steve fills in for the middle (making the Keith set extra special!). But obviously that doesn't factor in rehearsal time that Charlie would need to participate in very soon which would be out of the question.

It only hurts more because we all know these are some very special outings for the band at this point in their age. Every outing is precious at this point. To have to wait for Charlie to come back in 2022 is really not the best scenario but it will have to do.

The Rolling Stones have pushed through no matter what the circumstances and they do it again this time. We may not like it but they have to keep rolling....

The tour is one thing but at the end of the day let's keep sending Charlie good vibes. Glad whatever procedure went okay and he does indeed get better. The engine room won't be the same until he gets back.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:58

Why didn't they ask Ringo Starr to join the Rolling Stones?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 5, 2021 23:01

NilsHolgersson
Why didn't they ask Ringo Starr to join the Rolling Stones?

And Paul to play bass

jb

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: August 5, 2021 23:11

Next year, Charlie is back on board, hopefully!
Get well soon, Charlie!

Nothing wrong with Steve for me. Steve is kind of near relative to the band.

I'm looking forward to the next gigs; Steve should play his thing and add some new aspects to the Stones' sound. That'll be interesting.

Everything changes, so does the weather and even the climate, so do the Stones. Nothing wrong with that.To ask for them to stay the same since god nows which decade sounds a bit odd to me, IMHO. Anything that doesn't change anymore is dead, so ...

We are incredibly lucky to be fans of a band that tours for 6 decades, isn't that true? Charlie needs some rest, and that's ok. There will be some VERY interesting gigs this year for us and I really, REALLY look very much forward to them!

Can't wait to hear some news about rehearsals! smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 23:12 by waterrats.

Posted by: rstass ()
Date: August 5, 2021 23:11

Best whishes to Charlie !

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 5, 2021 23:12

Yoko would be the tits on some of the Their Satanic Majesties Request numbers.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: August 5, 2021 23:12

The ultimate supergroup.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 5, 2021 23:29

I imagine the rehearsals will be pretty intense with a new boy behind the sticks. Could be that they try out some songs they haven't played in a while.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: August 5, 2021 23:34

Silver Dagger
I imagine the rehearsals will be pretty intense with a new boy behind the sticks. Could be that they try out some songs they haven't played in a while.

That's what they usually do during rehearsals!

What would I give for beeing present when they rehearse, just listening...

What a band!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1127
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home