Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:10

What about Expensive Rolling Faces

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:14

The whole tour came too soon for the band and was thrust on them by the 2020 tour under-writers.

There is no new product to showcase and my understanding is that the band wanted to wait until that was the case.

I think that they'll play Europe next year with a big show in London to celebrate their 60th anniversary but what happens after that is anybody's guess.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:16

First of all, I hope Charlie feels better, soon.
Secondly, I'm a big fan of Steve Jordan. I'm excited to see what he can bring to a Stones performance.

As far as all this gatekeeping goes as to what or who isn't the "real" Rolling Stones?

I'll leave that to the Rolling Stones to decide. I'll decide if I like it or not.

Kudos to the band for keeping the show going. A lot of people who have been out of work are glad that SJ is stepping in.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:18

For me personally...... No Charlie Watts = No Rolling Stones.

Rest up and get well Charlie.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:20

The white elephant in the room and who no one wants to touch is that probably Charlie's cancer returned very aggresevely and they had to do surgery real fast,at his age,l don't think he will comeback to finish the tour (l wish he would),and next year if they do an anniversary show,he just may sit in for a couple of numbers.or worse he will be introduced for a waive and that's it,l hope l am wrong but ..........

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: August 5, 2021 15:21

I will go to the opening show and see how it goes and then decide on the rest of the shows.

I certainly will not be making the Austin show without Charlie.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:23

ohmercy61
Gut feeling Charlie will be back in the middle of October...

Would love to believe this, and this was my first hope as well.

But- Pretty clear that's not the plan. Although the band's statement doesn't close the door completely on that.
"A spokesman for Charlie Watts has confirmed that The Rolling Stones drummer is unlikely to be available for the resumption of The Rolling Stones USA No Filter Tour this fall.

Holding on to my Austin tix though winking smiley
Rest up Charlie.. '22 is going to be a BIG year.

Date: August 5, 2021 15:23

What this says is that the tour promoters and 90percent of the public look at Mick as the only essential Stone.That’s why when Mick had his heart issue they didn’t replace him but instead postponed the tour.If Keith couldn’t do a tour I think they would have toured with Mick Charlie Ron and maybe Mick Taylor. Musically it would probably be a better band the way Keith has been playing.Mick is the Stones to most people

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:24

Nobody noticed this yet :

the band now has an all-black rythmn section! I hope Darryl will welcome the arrival of Jordan accordingly and he'll "de-stiffen" his bass playing.

C'mon Darryl let the groove infuse your playing! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 15:31 by dcba.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:25

Taylor1
What this says is that the tour promoters and 90percent of the public look at Mick as the only essential Stone.That’s why when Mick had his heart issue they didn’t replace him but instead postponed the tour.If Keith couldn’t do a tour I think they would have toured with Mick Charlie Ron and maybe Mick Taylor. Musically it would probably be a better band the way Keith has been playing.Mick is the Stones to most people

Complete and total bollocks.....

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:27

Holy shit! This one hit me by surprise on TV´s
videotext...get well, Charlie!

And I don´t understand all those who think that
Charlie could be replaced AT ALL. It´s really simple:
No Charlie - no Stones.

They should postpone and wait until he returns or
call it quits. Any replacement is an embarrassment.

By the way: If Ronnie would have pulled out I´d say
the same. These 4 are the core for me.

If Europe´22 is without him - I´m out - and
August 5th 2019 was my last show ever.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:29

Best wishes to Charlie. Get well soon.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:32

Based on the band, Charlie, and Steve Jordan’s statements, I think Charlie returns at some point on this tour. The Rolling Stones’ official statement was that Charlie is unlikely to be available for the resumption of the tour. At the end of their official statement, Steve Jordan says no will be happier than him to give up his chair on the drum riser once Charlie says he’s good to go which implies it’ll happen before the end of the tour.

My guess would be that they use the week off between LA and Minneapolis to get up to speed and make the switch if Charlie’s good to go.

Since it doesn’t say what he had done, it’s hard to assess recovery time but it seems that he expected to be fully good to go and had to “accept” the medical advice of rest and recovery.

Either way, more optimistic than I was initially after seeing the Stones official statement, as I have a ticket for Detroit (2nd to last show).

Also if he is able to return mid tour or so, then it makes more sense why they proceeded this way, beyond the obvious business aspect of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 15:33 by Dougratajczak87.

Date: August 5, 2021 15:33

strat72
Taylor1

Really? If it was Keith and not Charliewith this situation, are you saying Mick would postpone this tour

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:33

dcba
Nobody noticed this yet :

the band now has an all-black rythmn section! I hope Darryl will welcome the arrival of Jordan accordingly and he'll "de-stiff" his bass playing.

C'mon Darryl let the groove infuse your playing! thumbs up

Perhaps no one posted it yet.. but Many of us noticed.

Believe this must be why Darryl cancelled his commitment that he had on Aug 15th.
Some six weeks before opener, it sounds like there will be a lot of rehearsing.

Was a bit disappointed in Jordan's statement that he didn't mention Darryl.
"It is an absolute honour and a privilege to be Charlie's understudy and I am looking forward to rehearsing with Mick, Keith and Ronnie."

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:34

I hope Mr Watts will get well soon.

It is completely up to the band to decide what to do. As mentioned before, a tour has a whole lot of people involved and gives work not just for the core crew and the tour staff, but also to a lot of hired hands in each town they visit, caterers and so on.
So if the band are okay with continuing, so am I and I'm also happy for everyone that will have work to do and money to earn on this tour.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:34

Wishing the best for Charlie.

As many have said:

No Charlie, No Stones

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:35

MisterDDDD
ohmercy61
Gut feeling Charlie will be back in the middle of October...

Would love to believe this, and this was my first hope as well.

But- Pretty clear that's not the plan. Although the band's statement doesn't close the door completely on that.
"A spokesman for Charlie Watts has confirmed that The Rolling Stones drummer is unlikely to be available for the resumption of The Rolling Stones USA No Filter Tour this fall.

Holding on to my Austin tix though winking smiley
Rest up Charlie.. '22 is going to be a BIG year.

I think the word resumption in that statement is very deliberate.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:37

Oh, and yes, I expect the band to sound different. So what? Might be interesting and even exciting, as it has been when Taylor guested on MR back in 2013.And when Charlie rejoins them, he will be welcome and the Stones' swing and shuffle that we all love will be back as we know it. Everyone of us loved Bobbie Keys and Lisa Fisher and misses them when seeing the Stones nowadays. Yet the players that followed brought something new to the table which we can also enjoy, can't we?

So let's enjoy these upcoming shows and hope for CWs speedy recovery and return whenever it'S possible for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 15:41 by Papo.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:39

dennycranium
As far as all this gatekeeping goes as to what or who isn't the "real" Rolling Stones?

I'll leave that to the Rolling Stones to decide. I'll decide if I like it or not.

That’s a bit contradictory. I don’t think anyone is gatekeeping, they’re quite rightly - as you said - deciding whether they like the Rolling Stones’ version of the band.

Date: August 5, 2021 15:44

Taylor1
strat72
Taylor1

Really? If it was Keith and not Charliewith this situation, are you saying Mick would postpone this tour

Of course he would.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:50

This is only happening because the tour was postponed before. They must be cornered.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:50

This is a shock, although probably shouldn't be. Wishing Charlie a return to health.
This feels like the beginning of the end and takes away their opportunity to stop on their own terms.
Maybe best to flip the script and focus on being grateful Mick, Keith and Charlie have been together all these years.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:52

I personally can't imagine going to a "Rolling Stones" Show without Charlie being on Drums.
On the other hand think about this:

Many couldn't imagine going to a Rolling Stones Show without Brian Jones.
Many couldn't imagine going to a Rolling Stones Show without Mick Taylor.
Many couldn't imagine going to a Rolling Stones Show without Bill Wyman.

And what happened?

Me personally thinks that the US Shows are only driven by the insurances and they have to close this chapter by any means.

Date: August 5, 2021 15:53

I agree. I think you are correct he'll return after the middle of the tour break

Dougratajczak87
Based on the band, Charlie, and Steve Jordan’s statements, I think Charlie returns at some point on this tour. The Rolling Stones’ official statement was that Charlie is unlikely to be available for the resumption of the tour. At the end of their official statement, Steve Jordan says no will be happier than him to give up his chair on the drum riser once Charlie says he’s good to go which implies it’ll happen before the end of the tour.

My guess would be that they use the week off between LA and Minneapolis to get up to speed and make the switch if Charlie’s good to go.

Since it doesn’t say what he had done, it’s hard to assess recovery time but it seems that he expected to be fully good to go and had to “accept” the medical advice of rest and recovery.

Either way, more optimistic than I was initially after seeing the Stones official statement, as I have a ticket for Detroit (2nd to last show).

Also if he is able to return mid tour or so, then it makes more sense why they proceeded this way, beyond the obvious business aspect of it.

Date: August 5, 2021 15:55

yes business reasons behind it.
And yes, we can take it positively, Mick, Keith and Ron will play the shows for the fans.
But they ought not to continue without Charlie after that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 15:56 by jumpingjackflash5.

Date: August 5, 2021 16:00

Dougratajczak87

I wish he were able, but it may not be the case even more probably.

Date: August 5, 2021 16:06

georgemcdonnell314
I agree. I think you are correct he'll return after the middle of the tour break

Dougratajczak87

It would be a great surprise if he did.

Date: August 5, 2021 16:06

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
strat72
Taylor1

Of course he would.
Of course he would? Then you are saying Charlie is not essential to the band

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 5, 2021 16:07

We're about to find out how essential he really is

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2498
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50