Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 37
Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 5, 2021 14:14

Having not posted here for years, mainly due to the negativity, I would suggest it's more about the music. Steve Jordan will be an ideal dep for Charlie and the shows will still be great.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 14:15

get well soon Charlie.

Re: Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 80, pulls out of band's US tour after undergoing emergency surgery in London
Posted by: Irix ()

WorriedAboutYou

Three original members isn't The Rolling Stones.

Two original members isn't The Rolling Stones - 1975 isn't original. winking smiley

WorriedAboutYou

At this point they should name it The X-Pensive Barbarians starring Sir Mick Jagger.

"The Mick & Keith Show" winking smiley

Posted by: drwatts ()

The only thing that matters is Sir Charles is ok. Take your time and get better Charlie. Bless you.

Re: Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 80, pulls out of band's US tour after undergoing emergency surgery in London
Date: August 5, 2021 14:17

WorriedAboutYou
bradleycsocal
They would never rename the band. Looking forward to seeing Charlie play again soon.

At this point they should name it The X-Pensive Barbarians starring Sir Mick Jagger. It would be more honest. Three original members isn't The Rolling Stones.

Sad, Sad, Sad.

Unfortunately, it's true. Without Charlie, it is simply different band. If some IORR members say the audience will not notice - may be won't, but we have seen in the past the attempts to do Stones songs by other lineup ...... [www.youtube.com]

Date: August 5, 2021 14:18

NickB
Having not posted here for years, mainly due to the negativity, I would suggest it's more about the music. Steve Jordan will be an ideal dep for Charlie and the shows will still be great.

Shows may be great, but the sound will be different.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 5, 2021 14:18

tumbled
Charlie is 80 and his role requires rigorous movement reality is he had surgery on his heart ehich requires recuperation and at 80 and he probably would rather sit out then deliver a less than stellar performance I think so

Do we know it was his heart?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 14:18 by Topi.

Date: August 5, 2021 14:20

Topi
tumbled
Charlie is 80 and his role requires rigorous movement reality is he had surgery on his heart ehich requires recuperation and at 80 and he probably would rather sit out then deliver a less than stellar performance I think so

Do we know it was his heart?

AFAIK, no.
It must have been something that must not be postponed for 4-5 months.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 5, 2021 14:25

Best wishes & get well soon, Charlie .... smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 14:40 by Irix.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 5, 2021 14:32

jumpingjackflash5
NickB

[www.youtube.com]

That's a Stones/Rock cover band fronted by Mick. At least Steve Jordan is a sympatico drummist and Ronnie n Keep will be playing...

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: August 5, 2021 14:34

He'll be missing from the final bow, sad if this is goodbye to the States.

Date: August 5, 2021 14:35

NickB
jumpingjackflash5
NickB

[www.youtube.com]

That's a Stones/Rock cover band fronted by Mick. At least Steve Jordan is a sympatico drummist and Ronnie n Keep will be playing...

Yes, it will not be that different. I posted that link because these shows were also accepted by the audience. That said, I understand the business decision not to cancel the already rescheduled shows. But I hope they will resist the temptation to continue - as the Stones - without Charlie further.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 5, 2021 14:42

Bashlets
It won’t even sound like the stones. I’m out

Maybe it'll sound different? Better?

This is a (minor) tragedy for Charlie but look at the bright side of things : the band will finally be able to plays most of the DW songs as - you certainly know that - it's Jordan not Charlie who plays on the tracks.

"One Hit" will a highlight of the upcoming gigs! cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 14:45 by dcba.

Date: August 5, 2021 14:43

dcba
Bashlets
It won’t even sound like the stones. I’m out

Maybe it'll sound different? Better?

For sure different. It's up to everyone's taste if better.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 5, 2021 14:43

Roadster32
The one thing that annoys me the most is Keith Richards. Wasn't it him who always said "Without Charlie Watts there!ll be no Rolling Stones. He is the only person I couldn't play without."

Bla bla bla.

Get well soon Charlie and give him a few kicks in the a..

Yeah, the whole "it'd down to the core 3 now", etc...but who's surprised, Keith's the ultimate marketing BS man and he told us himself told us 30+ years ago that "Talk is Cheap" !

Hopefully Charlie will be ok, I have ZERO faith in the public announcement that he is expected to make a full recovery though, they would say it regardless of the situation and the fact they're not saying what it is is not a very good sign, i.e. it's not a broken finger.

On a more minor note I was listening to "Hate it When You Leave" yesterday and was thinking how much I hated the drums, just thumping along aimlessly, zero swing. Hopefully Jordan will be able to copy Charlie better during the shows.

EDIT - caught up with some comments, I agree that Keltner would have been a better replacement, less of a show-off and blends in better, besides they released an album together.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 14:50 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 5, 2021 14:46

Sigh. Actually I would have preferred a principled stand (from Keith anyways) saying we dont go without Charlie. Period. What happened to the "irreducible core"? But at the end of the day its big business.

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 14:47

TornAndFried
georgemcdonnell314
Well I look at this positively.............. Charlie said he would join his bandmates later this year. He'll probably join them for the last half of the tour.

Contractually they have to tour.

They are not required to tour if one of their principle members is not well. They absolutely have the right to cancel if they need to but for whatever reason they want to finish this tour. That's why there is insurance for these kinds of things.

Only Mick and Keith are considered essential in the insurance and promoter contracts and irreplaceable. If Charlie and Ronnie cannot participate, the contracts stipulate they will be replaced. The Stones could refuse to tour, but whether they settle quickly or there's years of litigation over the contract breach, it's unlikely companies will have an interest in promoting, insuring or providing a venue for future tours.

They could try to postpone the tour, but I heard through the birdie grapevine that the current contract prevents them from performing even a one off solo gig until this tour is wrapped up. So no 60th anniversary tour until this one is wrapped up.

I certainly didn't have a tour without Charlie and a raging virus variant on my Stones bingo card, but it looks like we're going to have to find a way to deal with it. My hope is Charlie is able to join the tour at some point and take the stage for at least a few songs. Considering his surgery - it's probably better if he's at home isolating where the virus risk is minimal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 15:08 by GlimmerGirl24.

Date: August 5, 2021 14:48

gotdablouse

Yeah, the whole "it'd down to the core 3 now", etc...but who's surprised, Keith's the ultimate marketing BS man and he told us himself told us 30+ years ago that "Talk is Cheap" !

Hopefully Charlie will be ok, I have ZERO faith in the public announcement that he is expected to make a full recovery though, they would say it regardless of the situation and the fact they're not saying what it is is not a very good sign, i.e. it's not a broken finger.

On a more minor note I was listening to "Hate it When You Leave" yesterday and was thinking how much I hated the drums, just thumping along aimlessly, zero swing. Hopefully Jordan will be able to copy Charlie better during the shows.

Yes, if it were something easy or simple they would say what it is.

Steve Jordan is for sure good drummer, but he is not Charlie Watts. It will sound differently. If it were posible to replace musicians like this, we can easily recreate Beatles, Doors, etc. Remember The Full Circle?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 14:48 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 5, 2021 14:50

PR is gonna PR.

What about the name of the band? Shouldn't they change to :

"The Expensive Rolling Stones"?

Suits'em well considering the price of tickets for the 2021 shows.

GlimmerGirl24
TornAndFried
georgemcdonnell314
Well I look at this positively.............. Charlie said he would join his bandmates later this year. He'll probably join them for the last half of the tour.

Contractually they have to tour.

They are not required to tour if one of their principle members is not well. They absolutely have the right to cancel if they need to but for whatever reason they want to finish this tour. That's why there is insurance for these kinds of things.

Only Mick and Keith are considered essential in the insurance and promoter contracts and irreplaceable. If Charlie and Ronnie cannot participate, the contracts stipulate they will be replaced. The Stones could refuse to tour, but whether they settle quickly or there's years of litigation over the contract breach, it's unlikely companies will have an interest in promoting, insuring or providing a venue for future tours.

They could try to postpone the tour, but I heard through the birdie grapevine that the current contract prevents them from performing even a one off solo gig until this tour is wrapped up.

I certainly didn't have a tour without Charlie and a raging virus variant on my Stones bingo card, but it looks like we're going to have to find a way to deal with it. My hope is Charlie is able to join the tour at some point and take the stage for at least a few songs.

Yes there are business reasons behind this replacement.

I wish Charlie all the best and health first, but I do not believe he can perform this year at all.

Date: August 5, 2021 14:56

mickschix
Could this be all a fabrication because Charlie did NOT want to tour the USA with Covid cases running rampant?

With a band this big and stakes this high make nos mistake you can't fake anything. Charlie must already have a bunch of medical experts from insurance companies standing around his bed to be sure his physical condition is "incompatible with musical activities" (blah blah)

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 5, 2021 14:57

Just…gutted. Get well, darling Charlie.

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:01

rollmops
When I saw the headliner " Charlie is out" I instinctively thought of Jim Keltner as a substitute. Steve Jordan is great but usually his style is a lot louder than Charlie's. Steve is a super pro and he will synch with the Stones's sound without a problem. It is cool to has Darryl and Steve taking care of the "bottom".
Charlie is great and he is irreplacable!
Rockandroll,
Mops

In the past, I've heard Jim Keltner was Charlie's first choice if for some reason he couldn't tour. No idea why Steve Jordan was chosen instead of Keltner.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:04

Wishing Charlie a full recovery however long it takes and whether or not he ever takes the stage again.

It looks like big business has trumped principles with the band touring without Charlie.

You're gonna really need the rehearsals this time round, guys.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:05

This band without Charlie reminds me of the Mick and Keith band at the 9/11 concert for NYC

Date: August 5, 2021 15:06

GlimmerGirl24

In the past, I've heard Jim Keltner was Charlie's first choice if for some reason he couldn't tour. No idea why Steve Jordan was chosen instead of Keltner.

Age?
Keltner is 79, Jordan 64.
Insurance again...

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:07

What about The Expensive Woods?

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:08

I really don’t think that Steve Jordan, as great a player as he is, has an appreciation of the Stones sound/how they operate as a band. I mean he thinks Darryl has contributed more musically thank Bill ever did…

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:09

Gut feeling Charlie will be back in the middle of October...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1955
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home