Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 37
Re: Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 80, pulls out of band's US tour after undergoing emergency surgery in London
Date: August 5, 2021 11:56

I just can't get over the fact, that Charlie will get replacement. .

Yes it is hard to accept that. I hope it's just a temporary solution so that the planned shows won't have to be canceled again. It would be a bad move to dissolve the final phase of the band's carreer with various replacements and shows with different line-ups.

We must accept the reality, the window of opportunities is getting smaller now. I hope they manage it with decency.

Re: Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Date: August 5, 2021 11:57

frankotero
Hope Charlie will recover perfectly and have some more enjoyable years. This is really too bad. Best wishes to him.

I hope too, but we ought to be realistic.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: August 5, 2021 12:01

...Sorry for Charlie...but Mick and Keith are still the STONES....!!!

Date: August 5, 2021 12:03

jp.M
...Sorry for Charlie...but Mick and Keith are still the STONES....!!!

Can be, but the sound of the Stones is very connected with Charlie Watts.

Re: Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 80, pulls out of band's US tour after undergoing emergency surgery in London
Posted by: Christos ()
Date: August 5, 2021 12:16

As a true fan, I say the only thing that matters is Charlie's recovery.

Are they doing the right thing replacing him for this tour? Well, I guess the band & management know better.

Fans would be divided anyway, some wanting them not to play, others wanting them to go on. I remember when they cancelled Hanging Rock in Australia cause Mick was unwell. There were fans saying the Stones should have played without him (yes, without MICK!) and have Keith, Ronnie and Bernard on lead vocals, just because they had spent money on tickets & flights and wanted to see a show no matter what.

Personally I wouldn't be happy to attend a show without Charlie (or Ronnie, Keith & Mick), but then I don't have a ticket for this tour anyway, so...

Date: August 5, 2021 12:22

Yes, Charlie's health is the first thing. He would not cancel if he hadn't to.

As for the shows, it's ok if they make the postponed shows with replacement drummer, but I hope they will resist the temptation to change the lineups further. It will not help.

Posted by: Christos ()
Date: August 5, 2021 12:26

jumpingjackflash5

As for the shows, it's ok if they make the postponed shows with replacement drummer, but I hope they will resist the temptation to change the lineups further. It will not help.

Can't agree more with you. I'd rather they quit than do 60th anniversary shows without Charlie next year

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 12:27

Personally, I’d rather see Matt Clifford playing synth percussion drums than Steve Jordan

Date: August 5, 2021 12:28

Christos
jumpingjackflash5

Can't agree more with you. I'd rather they quit than do 60th anniversary shows without Charlie next year

Yes, I agree. Would love to see the shows again, accept this as a temporary sudden solution, but if Charlie is not ready, just stop after them.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 5, 2021 12:29

Very humbling statement from Steve Jordan. He knows the enormity of the challenge ahead of him when he's going to be under such a huge glaring global spotlight of comparison, criticism and all the rest of it.

Date: August 5, 2021 12:31

Beast
Very humbling statement from Steve Jordan. He knows the enormity of the challenge ahead of him when he's going to be under such a huge glaring global spotlight of comparison, criticism and all the rest of it.

We can accept it as a replacement solution for the hard situation the arose.
But it would be bad to change the line-up for the new shows in the future. Either Charlie heals (which I am crossing my fingers for!) or just stop. Everything between is bad.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: August 5, 2021 12:34

Charlie's health has to come first. Get well, Mr. Watts!

Bad and sad news.

No Charlie, no Stones, no tour - forever.
As simple as that.

i HATE the idea of a Stones tour without Mick, Keith or Charlie. Never could imagine such a b*****it:-((

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 12:54

I’ve been looking at attending a concert, and flying over from the UK, but after this announcement definitely won’t be bothering now.

All the best Charlie.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 5, 2021 12:54

jumpingjackflash5
Christos
jumpingjackflash5

Yes, I agree. Would love to see the shows again, accept this as a temporary sudden solution, but if Charlie is not ready, just stop after them.

If Charlie decides he’s not up to it anymore, I think the other three can continue, but not as The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 5, 2021 12:58

Do you think they will do their usual "Ladies and gentlemen, the..."? Maybe they should start with Sympathy again.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 5, 2021 13:01

Hope Charlie will get better.

I'm really excited to hear the Stones with Jordan though, maybe they will sound really powerful. I hope he will keep his heavy handed style and not try to copy Charlie's style too much.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: August 5, 2021 13:08

Tumlin73
I’ve been looking at attending a concert, and flying over from the UK, but after this announcement definitely won’t be bothering now.

All the best Charlie.
Same - fingers crossed for 2022 uk, but most importantly good health and wishes to Charlie

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: August 5, 2021 13:09

Many of the preceding comments are very interesting......perhaps now some of you younger fans will understand why when Brian was sacked the Stones were not the same band. They were not the same band when Ronnie Wood joined either.....and they were totally different when Bill left. Now they will be another band with Steve Jordan.

The Stones that made it big were Mick Brian Keith Bill Charlie and Stu.....

Nothing stays constant, all things must pass......just put Beggars Banquet on your turntable and turn up the volume.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 5, 2021 13:10

Love you Charlie. Take it easy and get totally well
We totally love you. Praying for your recovery trust you will be fine!!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 5, 2021 13:11

Charlie’s health obviously comes first. It’s true that 90% of the crowd won’t know the difference but I would and to me he is The Rolling Stones. Regardless I hope Jordan does a good job

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 5, 2021 13:13

When I saw the headliner " Charlie is out" I instinctively thought of Jim Keltner as a substitute. Steve Jordan is great but usually his style is a lot louder than Charlie's. Steve is a super pro and he will synch with the Stones's sound without a problem. It is cool to has Darryl and Steve taking care of the "bottom".
Charlie is great and he is irreplacable!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Davie137 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 13:27

Cancel the US gigs, concentrate on Charlie’s recovery and when that’s good then work on the new album to coincide with the 60th anniversary next year and do a handful of gigs around the world as a final farewell all together whilst they still can is my opinion, but for the U.S fans I do hope he can perform at some point on this tour for you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 13:28 by Davie137.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 5, 2021 13:35

First of all I hope Charlie will recover completely soon. Then it will be very interesting to see how Steve Jordan will solve complex RS drumming challenges - mastered in an excellent way by Charlie - like Midnight Rambler.

Bjornulf

Date: August 5, 2021 13:38

Mathijs
It's all about the money....ZZ Top touring without Dusty before he's even buried is just about the same. Insurance matters.

No Charlie, no Stones, Then again, Steve Jordan might be able to inject some energy back into the Stones.

Mathijs

I agree on most you write here although I doubt that Steve Jordan or whatever drummer can inject some energy back into the Stones.That's gone long ago.

I hope Charlie will recover very soon.

Date: August 5, 2021 13:41

Charlie.........Charlie........Charlie.......how I hope to hear that chant from a sell out crowd again...

Get well soon Mr Charlie Watts.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: August 5, 2021 13:44

Charlie is 80 and his role requires rigorous movement reality is he had surgery on his heart ehich requires recuperation and at 80 and he probably would rather sit out then deliver a less than stellar performance I think so

Posted by: bradleycsocal ()
Date: August 5, 2021 13:56

They would never rename the band. Looking forward to seeing Charlie play again soon.

Date: August 5, 2021 13:57

bradleycsocal
They would never rename the band. Looking forward to seeing Charlie play again soon.

Looking forward too, but it is clear that it needn't happen again.

Date: August 5, 2021 14:04

bv
First of all I hope Charlie will recover completely soon. Then it will be very interesting to see how Steve Jordan will solve complex RS drumming challenges - mastered in an excellent way by Charlie - like Midnight Rambler.

Steve Jordan will manage it, but the sound will not be the same.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: August 5, 2021 14:08

bradleycsocal

At this point they should name it The X-Pensive Barbarians starring Sir Mick Jagger. It would be more honest. Three original members isn't The Rolling Stones.

Sad, Sad, Sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 14:11 by WorriedAboutYou.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home