Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 37
Charlie Watts pulls out of US tour after undergoing emergency surgery
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 5, 2021 02:55

Official message by The Rolling Stones:

We’re sure you’ll all join us in wishing Charlie a speedy recovery. All 2021 tour dates will go ahead as planned. (Twitter/RS)

Daily Mail UK:

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 80, pulls out of band's US tour after undergoing emergency surgery in London.

Rolling Stones star Charlie Watts has been forced to withdraw from the band's tour of the US after having an emergency operation.

The legendary drummer, 80, underwent a 'successful procedure' in London after a routine check-up highlighted a problem, according to reports.

Clearly still in good spirits, he told the Sun: 'For once, my timing has been a little off".

Watts now faces several weeks of recovery, meaning he will have to sit out the Stones' 13-date No Filter tour of the states, which is due to kick off in September.

Hot session drummer and friend of the band Steve Jordan will stand in for him for the gigs, before Charlie plans to rejoin his bandmates later in the year.

The band had only announced the relaunch of the tour, derailed by the pandemic, last month, with the first performance coming in St. Louis on September 26.

'I'm so excited to get back on the stage again and want to thank everyone for their patience,' frontman Mick Jagger, 77, said in a statement. 'See you soon!'

Keith Richards, also 77, added: 'We're back on the road! See you there!'

The opening night at The Dome at America's Centre is followed by rescheduled stops in Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Minneapolis, Tampa, Dallas, Atlanta, Detroit and Austin.

The band has also added three new dates, including the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - their first time playing there - on October 13, Los Angeles on October 17 at SoFi Stadium, and Las Vegas on November 6 at Allegiant Stadium.

Watts added last night: 'I am working hard to get fully fit but I have today accepted on the advice of the experts that this will take a while.

'After all the disappointment with delays to the tour caused by Covid, I really don't want the many Stones fans in the States who have been holding tickets to have another postponement or cancellation.'

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 18:57 by bv.

Re: Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 80, pulls out of band's US tour after undergoing emergency surgery in London
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:02

Without Charlie, they should not tour

Re: Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 80, pulls out of band's US tour after undergoing emergency surgery in London
Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:03

Ugh....get well Charlie!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:09

WTF. Cancel the tour

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:13

Idk, on the fence about this one.

Part of me is no Charlie, no stones.

Other part is that I wanna see and hear the rest of the band.

Get well soon charlie.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:14

Wow. It'll be the 1st Stones tour ever without one of those three cornerstones of Mick Keith & Charlie sad smiley

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:15

MingSubu-exactly where I am right now....

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:17

I agree with Charlie.
"After all the disappointment with delays to the tour caused by Covid, I really don't want the many Stones fans in the States who have been holding tickets to have another postponement or cancellation."

But... Wow!
First and foremost it sounds like he is expected to make a full recovery. Thank god.
I am glad after what sounds like some debate with the experts, he is putting his health first. Thank god again.

"Charlie plans to rejoin his bandmates later in the year"
??

Got this info and link from Andrew Loog Oldham's twitter feed. A bit surreal.
[twitter.com]

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:27

I know there is a lot of money involved,but for me No Charlie No Stones,nothing else to add......

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:29

[www.thesun.co.uk]

More on Charlie and comments from Steve Jordan.

Posted by: Bashlets ()

It won’t even sound like the stones. I’m out

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()

I've toyed before with hypothetical scenarios in which one of the four had to step down permanently (and this isn't that situation), but the rest wanted to Keep Calm And Carry On.

My "answer" for Charlie retiring permanently was, rename what remains as The Jagger Richards Wood Band, and rock on. But that the Stones name itself be retired... it not seeming right w/o Charlie.

Again, that was just "What if-ing" permanent losses of key members. It's not this situation -- Charlie's coming back for 2022.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:32

Bashlets

LOL! Overreact much? No doubt this sucks but it will sound like the Stones.

Charlie Watts
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:38

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Charlie.

Rather surprising that the news came via a British fishwrap WORLD EXCLUSIVE and not an official statement from the band.

Date: August 5, 2021 03:38

Charlie will be back. He has even stated that touring with the band is like a call to arms.
And I doubt he would want to end in this manner. He wouldn't have commited to the tour.

He'll probably be back by the end of the tour it sounds like he will just be out a few weeks and not the entire tour.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:40

It certainly won’t be the same without Charlie, but his health is most important. Take the time to recuperate, Charlie, and we hope to have you back soon! We love you!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:40

hope he rejoins them on the tour sadly ironc he is always potrayed as not wanting to tour but now he want to but the doctors won't let him (probably for the best)

could have had much worse choices then steve jordan to stand in for him for a while me thinks keith had something to do with that (maybe we'll get a winos song in keith set) but if they still are going forward with the tour at this point with all the crap hitting the fan from their age to covid to now this they must really stand to lose a lot of money if this thing goes bad

sure hope charlie's last "performance" with them won't end up being ycagwyw for one world at home last year lets hope he bounces back well like after his throat cancer in 04 and we have many more years of stones ahead of us i like jordan but charlie's style will missed

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:42

hope charlie is alright. no charlie changes everything. maybe bob dylan's "shadow kingdom" is the way forward for guys at or near eighty years old. pretty BS'y if they go out. hopefully they'll figure it out and not embarass themselves, and more importantly not screw the fans over. they've said it themselves, no charlie, no stones.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:43

Taylor1
Without Charlie, they should not tour

They might not have a choice.

(Not to gloat but I have said it before and taken flakk for it but all you need for a Stones tour to go forward is Mick and Keith. Not saying it should or that it's acceptable to fans but it's just how the music BUSINESS works)

I am a whole lot less interested and if I can get a halfway decent Primus ticket might sell/rent my ID for Lucky Dip pickup but we all no one here would take me up on it)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:44

Thankfully Charlie will be ok.

I as well don't think they should tour. Would they continue without Keith? Mick?

Clearly they would without Ron if they're willing go without Charlie. It's heresy.

It was the perfect excuse to press the pause button.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:47

Get well Charlie. We love you!!!

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:48

Can't deny this isn't a huge blow, but thank God Charlie is alright and getting better.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:48

My personal feeling is that they should postpone - what's a few more months after everything that's happened - that's just me - but I thank God in Heaven that it ain't Grohl sitting in for him -

I hope he gets well and rejoins as soon as he is able - they are breaking new ground here - but starting this post covid tour without him leaves me with an uneasy feeling-

Long Live The Rolling Stones

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:52

cowboytoast
My personal feeling is that they should postpone - what's a few more months after everything that's happened - that's just me - but I thank God in Heaven that it ain't Grohl sitting in for him -

I hope he gets well and rejoins as soon as he is able - they are breaking new ground here - but starting this post covid tour without him leaves me with an uneasy feeling-

Long Live The Rolling Stones

Particularly because it really isn't 'post COVID'!

I did LOL at your Grohl comment.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:55

That's weird - I didn't think they would tour without Mick, Keith or Charlie. But yeah, it's a difficult situation, the tickets are already sold, they need to get this tour done. Hopefully Charlie will be there next year for the 60th anniversary of the band.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()

Bashlets

Yes it will. Jordan will do a great job

Date: August 5, 2021 03:57

Posted by: GAFF ()

[www.thesun.co.uk]

More on Charlie and comments from Steve Jordan.

wait wait so just read this and if the sun is right they are planning the new album release for the 60th anniversary tour whoopie!smiling smiley

anyone guess what happened with charlie is this why the announcment took so long

and what is it with these people do they only go to the doctor for insurance reason before a tour (mick's heart, ronnie first bout with cancer i think, keith's punctured lung)

Date: August 5, 2021 04:00

Re: Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 80, pulls out of band's US tour after undergoing emergency surgery in London new
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()

That's weird - I didn't think they would tour without Mick, Keith or Charlie. But yeah, it's a difficult situation, the tickets are already sold, they need to get this tour done. Hopefully Charlie will be there next year for the 60th anniversary of the band.

or for the last couple shows this tour as it seems we've been lead to believe might be a genuine possibility

i hope

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: August 5, 2021 04:01

I hope he gets well soon.

Date: August 5, 2021 04:01

It says "teve Jordan will stand in for him for the gigs, before Charlie plans to rejoin his bandmates later in the year"

He'll probably join them sometime along the tour and hopefully as soon as possible.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 37

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home