Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Do you feel safe (Covid) going to see the Stones this year?
Posted by: bobo ()
Date: August 12, 2021 13:21

Yes, I feel safe.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 12, 2021 15:13

lem motlow
I’m not wearing a fckng surgical mask to a concert.
The chance of getting the COVID Mach 2 if you are vaccinated is less than 10 percent, I’ll take those odds.

Seems to be pretty good odds to me. Most likely riskier than playing Russian Roulette with a 12 shot revolver.

Okay you may not die, but still...

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: August 15, 2021 16:30

Safe as a bank baby. Heck yea!!!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 15, 2021 16:55

RisingStone
lem motlow
The chance of getting the COVID Mach 2 if you are vaccinated is less than 10 percent, I’ll take those odds.

Seems to be pretty good odds to me. Most likely riskier than playing Russian Roulette with a 12 shot revolver.

what's with the "12 shot revolver" analogy? You're the 2nd person w/ this (horrible) analogy...unless you are the same person, of course.

Your "safety" at the Stones depends on who YOU are...there is NO "one size fits all" Risk Assessment.....

1) for one.....1/12 = 8.3%

2) for two...bullet to head = death

3) the Vaccinated survive Covid at like 99% or something to that effect

4) Covid affects the eldery, the sick, the obese far differently than the young, healthy and in-shape.....last I checked, bullet-to-head stats don't vary by any demographics.

Conclusion: Covid is (literally) nothing like Russian Roulette...and this is just about the worst way to assess your risk at a concert (or anywhere else OTHER than a Russian Roulette Tournament, for that matter).

If you are vaccinated, you are pretty darn safe.

If you are young, healthy and have a normal BMI....you're extremely safe if you are vaccinated.

If you are old, sick or obese....you're less safe, but if you're vaccinated, you're still pretty safe.

If you are not vaccinated....you are at MUCH greater risk(s)....however, those risks vary wildly depending on your age, BMI and overall health.

Regardless, life has risks. Either you navigate them and go out...or you stay home....it's really up to you....but to compare Covid to Russian Roulette is simply absurd....such posts are nothing but misinformation.

In the end, the vax exists, masks exist, sanitizer exists....risk exists.

Do you feel safe at the Stones? I don't know...up to you to decide based on all of the above.

By the way, as far as my understanding, there hasn't been a 12-shot revolver since the 19thC....

...and, my Mom (80) and my Dad (83) just kicked Covid's arse...both vaccinated, both in exceptional shape.

I don't think they can kick a bullet's arse, but they are going to the Stones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 15, 2021 18:16

stickyfingers101
RisingStone
lem motlow

what's with the "12 shot revolver" analogy? You're the 2nd person w/ this (horrible) analogy...unless you are the same person, of course.

Your "safety" at the Stones depends on who YOU are...there is NO "one size fits all" Risk Assessment.....

4) Covid affects the eldery, the sick, the obese far differently than the young, healthy and in-shape.....last I checked, bullet-to-head stats don't vary by any demographics.

Conclusion: Covid is (literally) nothing like Russian Roulette...and this is just about the worst way to assess your risk at a concert (or anywhere else OTHER than a Russian Roulette Tournament, for that matter).

If you are young, healthy and have a normal BMI....you're extremely safe if you are vaccinated.

If you are old, sick or obese....you're less safe, but if you're vaccinated, you're still pretty safe.

If you are not vaccinated....you are at MUCH greater risk(s)....however, those risks vary wildly depending on your age, BMI and overall health.

Regardless, life has risks. Either you navigate them and go out...or you stay home....it's really up to you....but to compare Covid to Russian Roulette is simply absurd....such posts are nothing but misinformation.

Do you feel safe at the Stones? I don't know...up to you to decide based on all of the above.

By the way, as far as my understanding, there hasn't been a 12-shot revolver since the 19thC....

...and, my Mom (80) and my Dad (83) just kicked Covid's arse...both vaccinated, both in exceptional shape.

I agree with most of what you're saying and congratulations to your parents.

The only thing I would add is that while everything you're saying describes the personal situation, the broader issue which is spreading this further to the unvaxxed is just going to increase the misery and potential for new variants to emerge.

I know it's their own 'fault'. Still, they believe what they believe. If they could understand the facts I have to believe a rational human being wouldn't make the choice not to take a free vaccination.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 15, 2021 23:23

stickyfingers101
RisingStone
lem motlow

It is somebody else who submitted the "12 shot revolver" analogy first. And I know a 12-shot revolver doesn’t exist, at least as a standard model. Knowing that, I quoted that as a punchy reference. Admittedly, as 1/12 = 8.3% as you say, my narrative misses the point as a counterargument to lem motlow’s remark, “The chance of getting the COVID Mach 2 if you are vaccinated is less than 10 percent.” My bad (maths).
The validity of the analogy aside, if I had put a “6 shot revolver” which is more common and realistic, the odds being 1/6 = 16.7%, it would have worked better to emphasize the risk of going to the Stones show without enough caution (i.e. unvaccinated, no mask, no social distancing etc).

I am concerned that lem motlow doesn’t give a shit about wearing a face mask to a concert because he is vaccinated (double-jabbed, I guess) therefore feeling protected enough. As more and more people are becoming aware, the double-vaccinated still can catch, carry and spread the COVID although the vaccine prevents symptomatic disease and hospitalization to a great degree. Even if you are fully jabbed, wearing a face mask will not only help protect yourself but also other people from the virus. To think of the demographics of the Stones fans — many of them belong to a high-risk age group with underlying health issues — this will be an even more important point to consider.

Some may regard wearing masks as uncool, saying, “it’s not rock ‘n’ roll.” Jason Isbell says, "I'm all for freedom but I think if you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." To paraphrase his expression, if you are dead, you ain’t cool anymore.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 15, 2021 23:53

RisingStone

Some may regard wearing masks as uncool, saying, “it’s not rock ‘n’ roll.” Jason Isbell says, "I'm all for freedom but I think if you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." To paraphrase his expression, if you are dead, you ain’t cool anymore.

Also put it well when he said "It's Life, then Liberty, then the Pursuit Of Happiness".
No Life, no Liberty.

That said, at his first vax or test shows in Austin, very few were wearing masks. Less than 10% I would estimate.
Most (including staff) just relaxed and had a good time, sans mask.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 16, 2021 18:00

treaclefingers
stickyfingers101
RisingStone
lem motlow

I agree with most of what you're saying and congratulations to your parents.

The only thing I would add is that while everything you're saying describes the personal situation, the broader issue which is spreading this further to the unvaxxed is just going to increase the misery and potential for new variants to emerge.

I know it's their own 'fault'. Still, they believe what they believe. If they could understand the facts I have to believe a rational human being wouldn't make the choice not to take a free vaccination.

agree. agree.

we're on the same page, for sure, dude.

I just think Americans are screwy and a total-mess in so many ways....I guess I just make room for that.

I don't excuse it. I guess I just accept it...to a fault, sometimes.

We're a funny bunch....as I like to say: "This country is the best. It's a shame we're the worst"

U-S-A! U-S-A!

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1377
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home