Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: brown sugar studio guitar
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 3, 2021 14:57

TravelinMan
Mathijs
Taylor plays the tremolo picked guitar pattern, focusing on the high notes, He played the same chording and tremelo picking on Altamont and the 1970's versions, and sometimes live in 1972 as well (Philly for example). His guitar was fully erased in early 1970, and Keith overdubbed all electric guitars, which are like 5 or 6 tracks in total. I think the main reason is that Taylor's part is really 'on' the 1, whereas Keith is playing with the timing very much to give it this push and pull and RnR feel.

I doubt Taylor used a Strat at Muscle Shoals. I don't know if he actually had one in 1969, but he favored a Tele in 1969/1970 for studio work (Jiving Sister Fanny, Hillside Blues, Stop Breaking Down, I Don't Know Why etc), and there are pics of him with a Tele at Muscle Shoals.

Mathijs

It could have been the studio’s Strat. I wasn’t aware of pics with a Tele. What did he use on Gotta Move?

So was that just a working mix? What does Taylor play on the Gimme Shelter version? And is the Gimme Shelter version the one that was released by accident?

For the slide part of You Gotta Move I used a Fender Telecaster... (Keith played) a National guitar.
- Mick Taylor, 1979

Mathijs

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 3, 2021 16:25

Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
Taylor plays the tremolo picked guitar pattern, focusing on the high notes, He played the same chording and tremelo picking on Altamont and the 1970's versions, and sometimes live in 1972 as well (Philly for example). His guitar was fully erased in early 1970, and Keith overdubbed all electric guitars, which are like 5 or 6 tracks in total. I think the main reason is that Taylor's part is really 'on' the 1, whereas Keith is playing with the timing very much to give it this push and pull and RnR feel.

I doubt Taylor used a Strat at Muscle Shoals. I don't know if he actually had one in 1969, but he favored a Tele in 1969/1970 for studio work (Jiving Sister Fanny, Hillside Blues, Stop Breaking Down, I Don't Know Why etc), and there are pics of him with a Tele at Muscle Shoals.

Mathijs

It could have been the studio’s Strat. I wasn’t aware of pics with a Tele. What did he use on Gotta Move?

So was that just a working mix? What does Taylor play on the Gimme Shelter version? And is the Gimme Shelter version the one that was released by accident?

For the slide part of You Gotta Move I used a Fender Telecaster... (Keith played) a National guitar.
- Mick Taylor, 1979

Mathijs

Thanks for the quote. The Gimme Shelter version sounded mono but there are definitely two guitars there. I didn’t hear the whole song on YouTube, it cut out. I think I have it at home somewhere and it doesn’t have arpeggios, but it sounds like a similar part besides that.

As far as the SF version, it sounds like just one electric guitar part in the right channel, so one track total. It might be 5 or 6 takes cobbled on one track, if that’s what you meant.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 3, 2021 19:28

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
Arpeggio version:

But listen to the lick at around 3:12 on the right channel. That sounds like a Taylor lick to me. It’s almost like he’s trying to sound like Richards. This is before the overdubbed solo comes in.

At 3:00 it sounds like Richards in the right channel. Weird

*I should say I muted the left channel to hear it clearly.

I assume you're talking about the studio version? I don't hear Mick Taylor on it. All the fills and rhythm guitar(s) have a certain stiff approach. Taylor was a much more fluid, harmonical and melodic player; in a way that Keith never could deliver. That's not around on the studio track at all . For some reason they didn't give Taylor room in the studio, although he played splendid on brown sugar live versions even before the official track was released. So if you want to enjoy Taylor better listen to the (BS) live versions when he still was a member of the band. At least I like the live versions with Taylor better than the -to my ears- rather one dimensional pre - arranged studio track.

I dont know what the Arpeggio version is also. First of all if he is referring to the lick before the chorus that is not an arpeggio. I noticed people here throwout terms not knowing what they mean.

Date: August 3, 2021 19:56

Cooltoplady
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
Arpeggio version:

But listen to the lick at around 3:12 on the right channel. That sounds like a Taylor lick to me. It’s almost like he’s trying to sound like Richards. This is before the overdubbed solo comes in.

I assume you're talking about the studio version? I don't hear Mick Taylor on it. All the fills and rhythm guitar(s) have a certain stiff approach. Taylor was a much more fluid, harmonical and melodic player; in a way that Keith never could deliver. That's not around on the studio track at all . For some reason they didn't give Taylor room in the studio, although he played splendid on brown sugar live versions even before the official track was released. So if you want to enjoy Taylor better listen to the (BS) live versions when he still was a member of the band. At least I like the live versions with Taylor better than the -to my ears- rather one dimensional pre - arranged studio track.

I dont know what the Arpeggio version is also. First of all if he is referring to the lick before the chorus that is not an arpeggio. I noticed people here throwout terms not knowing what they mean.

LOL

Why don’t you try looking at the video I posted and listening. Might help you a bit connecting appropriate terminology.

Date: August 3, 2021 20:05

TravelinMan
Cooltoplady
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
Arpeggio version:

LOL

Why don’t you try looking at the video I posted and listening. Might help you a bit connecting appropriate terminology.

Lol you never did Bozo. Even the Flyingdutchman doesn’t know what you’re talking about

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-03 20:07 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 3, 2021 20:24

I don’t know what he means by arpeggio version either. I don’t see any video he posted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-03 20:28 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: August 3, 2021 21:20

More Hot Rocks
I don’t know what he means by arpeggio version either. I don’t see any video he posted.

Arpeggios in this case are the chords that Mick Taylor plays, tone by tone. You can also call it strumming, string by string. Very easy and relevantly.

You can hear it from 0:13 and onwards:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-03 21:48 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: August 3, 2021 22:16

Cooltoplady
TravelinMan
Cooltoplady
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
Arpeggio version:

LOL

Lol you never did Bozo. Even the Flyingdutchman doesn’t know what you’re talking about

Wow, you’re a moron. It’s literally two messages after the quote you took. Next time do a little digging before you start unwarranted attacks.

Date: August 3, 2021 22:17

More Hot Rocks

Check the video on page 1 in this thread.

Date: August 3, 2021 22:25

TravelinMan
Cooltoplady
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
Arpeggio version:

LOL

Hey moron you didn’t post the video. It was posted by someone else. Bozo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-03 23:37 by Cooltoplady.

Date: August 3, 2021 23:46

Cooltoplady
TravelinMan
Cooltoplady
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
Arpeggio version:

LOL

It’s definitely there posted by me. Dutchman even quoted it. Maybe time to log out of the internet for the day and get some sleep.

Date: August 3, 2021 23:48

Cooltoplady
TravelinMan
Cooltoplady
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
Arpeggio version:

LOL

Why are you doing this?

Date: August 4, 2021 00:14

The press button doesn't work??

Date: August 4, 2021 00:38

TheflyingDutchman

I rest my case. The guy is lost

Date: August 4, 2021 00:51

TheflyingDutchman

It rarely does for screenshots smiling smiley

I just tried to show that TravelinMan posted the video of the Brown Sugar outtake on page 1 in this thread. Obviously, it's too hard for some to go back and listen.

Date: August 4, 2021 01:06

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman

Even if they are twice the size.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: August 4, 2021 01:10

Here's a photo from Muscle Shoals showing an unknown Blackguard Tele, an ES-330 and another Tele, maybe the late '60s Muscle Shoals "House" Tele.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 4, 2021 01:33

Way coooool ... never seen that shot before ....fanks

ROCKMAN

Date: August 4, 2021 02:53

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman

I just tried to show that TravelinMan posted the video of the Brown Sugar outtake on page 1 in this thread. Obviously, it's too hard for some to go back and listen.

Thanks, DP. smileys with beer

Posted by: frenchstones33 ()
Date: August 4, 2021 03:21

the telecaster on the table is probably mick taylor's blond telecaster that he used at the london concert in december 1969 and at the ed sullivan show on gimme shelter.
the one he has in his hands may be jimmy johnson's guitar.
there is also the famous es 330 which could be keith's guitar on brown sugar ......jimmy johnson telecaster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-04 03:21 by frenchstones33.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 4, 2021 10:31

TheflyingDutchman
More Hot Rocks

Arpeggios in this case are the chords that Mick Taylor plays, tone by tone. You can also call it strumming, string by string. Very easy and relevantly.

You can hear it from 0:13 and onwards:

I actually called it erroneously tremelo picking....

Mathijs

Date: August 4, 2021 11:22

Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman
More Hot Rocks

Mathijs

Errare humanum est.thumbs up

Date: August 4, 2021 16:54

I had another listen to the "arpeggio version", posted by TravelinMan.

The guitar in the right channel playing the unusual stuff in the bridges is Keith. Taylor enters at 1:52 with his solo. The short licks starting round 2:51 are Keith in open G, HTW-style. At 3:11 Taylor's solo guitar reappears and takes over that right channel (instead of the middle channel which was used for the solo).

I'm pretty sure I got this right now. A fascinating listen. There is some good stuff here, but imo they made the right call by making room for the acoustic (and also making the other open G-guitar more prominent in the soundscape) in the bridges, instead of this guitar track.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 4, 2021 18:48

DandelionPowderman
I had another listen to the "arpeggio version", posted by TravelinMan.

The guitar in the right channel playing the unusual stuff in the bridges is Keith. Taylor enters at 1:52 with his solo. The short licks starting round 2:51 are Keith in open G, HTW-style. At 3:11 Taylor's solo guitar reappears and takes over that right channel (instead of the middle channel which was used for the solo).

I'm pretty sure I got this right now. A fascinating listen. There is some good stuff here, but imo they made the right call by making room for the acoustic (and also making the other open G-guitar more prominent in the soundscape) in the bridges, instead of this guitar track.

[www.youtube.com]

There are a couple reasons I think the right channel is Taylor’s basic track:

1- the arpeggios are too Byzantine for Richards. If I recall, it’s an Eb major triad and then a C minor triad. I can’t believe Richards would play a minor triad over his rhythm guitar part. It sounds more like Taylor applying traditional music/chord theory over what is actually there: which is essentially all major chords.

2- The lick in the right channel before the lead guitar comes in (around 3:12) is a pretty standard lick Taylor pulled off back then. Like I said, you’ll need to mute your left speaker to really hear it.

I do think it’s a shaky performance, but it sounds like he’s learning the song as they are recording.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 4, 2021 19:20

TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman
More Hot Rocks

Mathijs

Yes. It is called a rolled arpeggio. It is symbolized by a vertical squiggly line on sheet music. Like the intro to House Of The Rising Sun

Date: August 4, 2021 21:59

More Hot Rocks
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman
More Hot Rocks

Mathijs

Yes. It is called a rolled arpeggio. It is symbolized by a vertical squiggly line on sheet music. Like the intro to House Of The Rising Sun

Certainly no sweep picking.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: August 4, 2021 23:57

frenchstones33
the telecaster on the table is probably mick taylor's blond telecaster that he used at the london concert in december 1969 and at the ed sullivan show on gimme shelter.
there is also the famous es 330 which could be keith's guitar on brown sugar ......jimmy johnson telecaster

Could well be Mick Taylor's Tele. However, as far as I can tell, Jimmy Johnson's guitar is an Esquire, as it appears not to have a neck pickup (the Tele Taylor is playing has a neck pickup, although one can't tell whether it's a standard Tele one or a humbucker).

More discussion in this thread (where I first came accross the photo):

Looks like Micawber but at Muscle Shoals

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 5, 2021 03:47

xke38
frenchstones33

Could well be Mick Taylor's Tele. However, as far as I can tell, Jimmy Johnson's guitar is an Esquire, as it appears not to have a neck pickup (the Tele Taylor is playing has a neck pickup, although one can't tell whether it's a standard Tele one or a humbucker).

More discussion in this thread (where I first came accross the photo):

Looks like Micawber but at Muscle Shoals

Mick Taylor's Tele was from the late 1950s: you can tell by the more opaque white-blonde finish on it rather than the mid-1950s creamy-yellow blond or the classic butterscotch blonde from the early 1950s (the finish Micawbre has).

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: August 5, 2021 04:38

the question is what guitar keith used for "brown sugar"? i thought this was known. it's the white SG he used for the opener at the jan. '73 LA show. he's mentioned it in interviews before.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: August 5, 2021 06:37

That was exhausting getting to this point. Jeeze I thought everyone knew it was a white SG Custom. Kids these days.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home