Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RE: Their Satanic Majesties Request Album Cover
Posted by: stones1969 ()
Date: August 1, 2021 18:04

Hi everyone!

I'm writing to ask a question. Does anyone on here have information on how the Their Satanic Majesties Request 3-D cover came about? Who came up with the idea to do the cover in 3-D? Was it something Michael Cooper knew about and suggested to the band, or did one of the band members come up with the idea? Does anyone know how much it cost to make? Does anyone have any interviews from back in the 1960s where the Stones talk about the album cover? Anything will be of great help to my research. I've always had a feeling it was something Michael Cooper knew about and mentioned to the band who thought it would be a good idea for an album cover. My fiend told me Michael Cooper did an interview where he spoke about the album cover but he doesn't remember the name of the magazine.

I have been doing research on this for quite a while and have run into a dead end. I'm quite interested in finding out more about the album cover.

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-01 18:07 by stones1969.

Re: RE: Their Satanic Majesties Request Album Cover
Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: August 1, 2021 18:08

Here is some info - they mention the Stones down the page

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 1, 2021 18:09

I think the cost was $25000 for the shoot, going from memory.

Posted by: stones1969 ()
Date: August 1, 2021 18:38

I heard that's how much the camera cost to take the photos, but I don't know how true that is. I would assume it was pretty expensive to make at the time because the lenticular/3-D piece had to be glued to the album cover, and the thousands of pieces they had made must have been pricey.

Do you have any interviews where the band members talk about the album cover?

Rob

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 1, 2021 19:13

I don't know about the state of affairs in 1967 but around 1970 the technology was pretty much common-place, it seems. I vividly remember such 3D picture cards as giveaways for kids at gas stations (in particular, Shell) and supermarkets. By the beginning of the 70s, at least, the production costs cannot have been super-high any longer, otherwise they hadn't thrown the 3Ds at you nearly everywhere.

I guess that in the second half of the 60s, record companies realised that record covers help sell records, and possibly more than they had thought. Just consider record sleeves in the early 70s such as the zipper sleeve of Sticky Fingers (I always wondered what that one cost), or the packaging of albums such as ELP's Brain Salad Surgery. You wouldn't get such efforts today with regular releases. I'm sure quite a bunch of people bought Sticky Fingers because they wanted to have that album with the zipper cover (apart from the fact that the music on it wasn't all too bad either winking smiley ).

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: August 1, 2021 19:53

you might get some info here....
[www.vulture.com]

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: August 1, 2021 20:05

Lots of infos are here: [iorr.org]

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 1, 2021 22:23

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 1, 2021 22:43

I remember seeing on Antique Roadshows in the U.S. that someone had a Satanic Majesties cover that was used as a record store promo and was bigger than the album. I understand it's worth a lot of money, and quite rare.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 6, 2021 05:14

24FPS
I remember seeing on Antique Roadshows in the U.S. that someone had a Satanic Majesties cover that was used as a record store promo and was bigger than the album. I understand it's worth a lot of money, and quite rare.

I've seen a several of these. One at an auction, one in a touring exhibition (from the V&A I think), and the other was on the wall in an office I went to.

Looking at the large (approx LP sized) version for any length of time is guaranteed to induce vertigo! :-)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home