Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

46 years ago today, Stones in Greensboro, NC!
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 31, 2021 17:52

My very first Rolling Stones concert, and I thought it might be the only time I would have to see them.

Turns out there were nine more shows to go, up to the Zip Code tour.

There does not seem to be any kind of bootleg of even one song from this show, but I still keep my hopes up.

Anyone else out there at the Greensboro Coliseum on July 31, 1975, Tour of the Americas?

Re: 46 years ago today, Stones in Greensboro, NC!
Posted by: VoodooAllie ()
Date: July 31, 2021 19:21

Hey Mongoose! Happy Anniversary! I too experienced The Rolling Stones live in concert for the first time in Greensboro 46 years ago tonight ! Life changing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-01 00:04 by VoodooAllie.

Date: July 31, 2021 20:27

Howdy, Voodoo!!

Yeah, at the time, the press was saying things like "these guys are older, but they are not burnt out yet!"

If anyone had told either one of us back in 1975 that we would still be talking about the Stones. who would still be touring, 46 years later, we would have thought they were out of their mind!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 31, 2021 22:10

Mongoose
My very first Rolling Stones concert, and I thought it might be the only time I would have to see them.

There does not seem to be any kind of bootleg of even one song from this show, but I still keep my hopes up.

Anyone else out there at the Greensboro Coliseum on July 31, 1975, Tour of the Americas?
My first one too! Then 1978, same venue, my second one. 9 more after that.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 1, 2021 03:54

I was there as well! My very first on that hot Tarheel Thursday (I believe). My cousin and I were dropped off by my mom at the parking lot around 1 pm. Do you remember the gate/fence crashing? Finally they said '* it, let 'em in' lol

We ran like bats out of hell and made it to the floor between the lotus points (the middle one and right in front of Keith).

What a night for two 15 year olds! That show started a life long addiction.

I'll never forget it. I'm glad you all were there as well.

By the way, my ears rang for 3 days lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-01 03:55 by StonedAsiaExile.

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: August 1, 2021 05:01

I was 15 and my brother and i were dropped off by my mom about 1pm too.
Festival seating was crazy.
My brother was younger than me so when we ran in we sat on the first row off the floor on Ronnie's side.

StonedAsia i think you said you had a boot from that record store in Chapel Hill. Would love to hear that one.

Date: August 1, 2021 05:16

nellcote'71
I was 15 and my brother and i were dropped off by my mom about 1pm too.
Festival seating was crazy.
My brother was younger than me so when we ran in we sat on the first row off the floor on Ronnie's side.

StonedAsia i think you said you had a boot from that record store in Chapel Hill. Would love to hear that one.

I remember, and I could be wrong now after all these years, that I found a boot at the Record Bar in Chapel Hill. Whether it was a legit Greensboro show or not, that I couldn't say now. The Record Bar used to sell lots of boots of shows in the area in the 70s. I had a decent one of the '78 show as well but on cassette. Everything has been 'misplaced' over the years.

It may be buried in storage back in Chapel Hill. I still have all my ticket stubs and posters etc so maybe any boots are still there.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 1, 2021 06:43

I'm the only one in this thread, so far, that wasn't there, but very fun reading on how many of you were.

A little reunion, so cool!

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 1, 2021 08:39

YOu beat me to it, Treacle. I also wasn't there (I was barely born) but am enjoying reading this reunion!

Date: August 1, 2021 10:46

Glen Frey of The Eagles brought his kid brother to the show. The Eagles played the next night at Greensboro though I wouldn't see them for another year.

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: August 1, 2021 18:27

I was lucky to see the Stones the month before Greensboro at MSG when i was 14, so that was my first Stones show.
Smoked my first joint (strawberry rolling papers) with my buddies walking to the train station after High School on the way to the show.
My dad came in to the city and drove us home after the show.
Also saw Beach Boys & Chicago playing together sometime in spring '75 at MSG.

We moved to Greensboro, and i turned 15, in between the June NY show and July Greensboro show.
When we got to Greensboro i bought tickets for $25 each from the For Sale section of the local paper.
The Greensboro Coliseum was 20 minutes from our house and every band in the 70's came through Greensboro. Festival seating was nuts. I remember Les Zeppelin ('77?) when the crowd just busted through the lobby - glass doors breaking and the ticket takers at the turnstiles just ran away.

Great times.
Looking forward to Charlotte '21.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 1, 2021 18:38

peoplewitheyes
YOu beat me to it, Treacle. I also wasn't there (I was barely born) but am enjoying reading this reunion!

smileys with beer

Date: August 2, 2021 05:08

nellcote'71
I was lucky to see the Stones the month before Greensboro at MSG when i was 14, so that was my first Stones show.
Smoked my first joint (strawberry rolling papers) with my buddies walking to the train station after High School on the way to the show.
My dad came in to the city and drove us home after the show.
Also saw Beach Boys & Chicago playing together sometime in spring '75 at MSG.

We moved to Greensboro, and i turned 15, in between the June NY show and July Greensboro show.
When we got to Greensboro i bought tickets for $25 each from the For Sale section of the local paper.
The Greensboro Coliseum was 20 minutes from our house and every band in the 70's came through Greensboro. Festival seating was nuts. I remember Les Zeppelin ('77?) when the crowd just busted through the lobby - glass doors breaking and the ticket takers at the turnstiles just ran away.

Great times.
Looking forward to Charlotte '21.

I was at that show as well. It was Bonham's birthday and we all sang 'Happy Birthday'. Yeah, Greensboro in the 70s saw EVERYBODY come through. It was a great time.

Date: August 2, 2021 16:53

duke richardson
Mongoose

My first one too! Then 1978, same venue, my second one. 9 more after that.

Same with me for my second Stones show, Greensboro, 1978. At the time I was not as impressed with this particular show, but listening to the bootleg has changed my mind.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: August 3, 2021 06:57

One from 7/31/75

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 3, 2021 17:36

Ronnie had just joined.. really he was still learning all the songs. I remember a loud, completely electric version of Wild Horses.. he was clearly still learning that one smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1107
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home