Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: R.I.P. Dusty Hill
Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: July 29, 2021 01:13

Gonna be a ZZ Top night for me.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 29, 2021 01:13

Epitome of rock. Tres Hombres is a classic that every rock fan should have. RIP

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: July 29, 2021 02:02

I remember their show on Ostend airport. They came in with their own plane...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 29, 2021 02:08

RIP, not just to Dusty, but most likely to the band itself. It's unimaginable that they could continue with someone else. Just from the visual aspect alone, he's totally irreplaceable.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: July 29, 2021 02:19

crawdaddy
That is so sad to hear.

Only seen ZZ Top play once,at Wembley Arena, when Jeff Beck was on stage for a couple of songs.

Very memorable for me, as I got to front of stage so easily,with so many fans just getting me there.

Always remember when I saw the band on TV here, on a live music show in UK for the first time, and I just couldn't believe how good they were.

R.I.P. Dusty.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 29, 2021 03:42

Hairball
Well...damn sad...saw them almost every time they were near my neck of the woods ...always great fun live...even had tix for Vegas which was postponed due to pandemic...

Pic I took at Avila Beach, CA, '16 - RIP Dusty.......................

Very nice pic.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 29, 2021 04:05

Rest In Peace
Dusty Hill

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 29, 2021 04:06

TooTough
ZZ top talk about their 1973 tour opening up for the
Rolling Stones in Hawaii in January 1973

smileys with beer RIP Dusty. Legend.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: July 29, 2021 04:08

RIP Dusty......

I used to really enjoy watching Top's video where they were twirling their guitars around.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: July 29, 2021 04:11

Terrible news first thing in the morning here. He was part of one of America's greatest contributions to music.

I miss him already.

R.I.P.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 29, 2021 05:00

tatters
RIP, not just to Dusty, but most likely to the band itself. It's unimaginable that they could continue with someone else. Just from the visual aspect alone, he's totally irreplaceable.

After Dusty’s recent fall, they did some shows with their guitar tech Elwood Francis. And yes, he has a beard.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 29, 2021 06:59

ZZ Top will finish their summer tour with the substitute bassist then decide what the future of the band will be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-29 11:13 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 29, 2021 08:07

That's a shocker.

I love ZZ Top and I loved Dusty.

RIP.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 29, 2021 09:26

TornAndFried
ZZ Top will finish their summer tour with the substitute bassist then decide what the future will be.

Is that true? If that actually happens, it sounds as though they've already decided what the future will be.

Date: July 29, 2021 10:09

What a band! Sad news indeed. RIP to the sharp dressed man.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 29, 2021 10:29

Safe journey
and take it easy Dusty ....RIP

ROCKMAN

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 29, 2021 10:35

Date: July 29, 2021 12:09

treaclefingers
TornAndFried
ZZ Top will finish their summer tour with the substitute bassist then decide what the future will be.

Is that true? If that actually happens, it sounds as though they've already decided what the future will be.

On July 28, 2021, ZZ Top announced in a statement that Hill had died at his home in Houston at the age of 72. The band played their first show without him five days earlier at the Village Commons in New Lenox, Illinois; at this show, ZZ Top's longtime guitar tech Elwood Francis filled in for Hill, who was unable to perform because of hip issues. Within hours after the announcement of Hill's death, Gibbons confirmed that ZZ Top will continue as a band and that Francis will replace him, declaring "the show must go on."[

Date: July 29, 2021 12:09

treaclefingers
TornAndFried

On July 28, 2021, ZZ Top announced in a statement that Hill had died at his home in Houston at the age of 72. The band played their first show without him five days earlier at the Village Commons in New Lenox, Illinois; at this show, ZZ Top's longtime guitar tech Elwood Francis filled in for Hill, who was unable to perform because of hip issues. Within hours after the announcement of Hill's death, Gibbons confirmed that ZZ Top will continue as a band and that Francis will replace him, declaring "the show must go on."

Date: July 29, 2021 12:15

TornAndFried
treaclefingers
TornAndFried

On July 28, 2021, ZZ Top announced in a statement that Hill had died at his home in Houston at the age of 72. The band played their first show without him five days earlier at the Village Commons in New Lenox, Illinois; at this show, ZZ Top's longtime guitar tech Elwood Francis filled in for Hill, who was unable to perform because of hip issues. Within hours after the announcement of Hill's death, Gibbons confirmed that ZZ Top will continue as a band and that Francis will replace him, declaring "the show must go on."

It would be a sin if a player like Gibbons stops performing.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 29, 2021 12:24

TornAndFried
treaclefingers
TornAndFried

sad as it is – they will perform in front of lots of empty seat anyhow (at least that's what ticketmaster's' seat maps for their upcoming shows indicates)

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 29, 2021 14:15

TornAndFried

[www.google.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 29, 2021 14:20

R.I.P. Dusty Hill ! I was saddened yesterday at 3:00pm when I heard the news and thought to myself that this was the end of an era , which just made me sad yet at the same time a flood of memories came rushing in from all the good times seeing ZZ Top live and listening to there albums .

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 29, 2021 14:25

bye bye johnny

28-Jul-2021: "The Texas band was on tour when it announced July 23, 2021 that Hill, who joined the band in 1970, was heading home 'to address a hip issue.' Per ZZ Top's Facebook page, Hill had said that 'the show must go on,' and so their guitar tech of 20 years, Elwood Francis, filled in to play slide guitar, bass, and harmonica. The band's statement noted at the time that they were expecting Hill to have a 'speedy recovery' and to return to the band soon." -- [www.Billboard.com] , [UltimateClassicRock.com] , [www.HollywoodReporter.com] .

75 Tour-dates July 2021 - May 2022: [www.ZZTop.com] , [LoudWire.com] .

28-Jul-2021: "It is unclear whether the band will carry on with the tour and find a permanent fill-in for Hill, or if they will cancel it. Stay tuned for any further updates." -- [LoudWire.com] .

29-Jul-2021: "ZZ Top won't stop performing and touring after the July 28" , "ZZ Top are carrying on" - [iorr.org] .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-29 19:55 by Irix.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 29, 2021 14:34

Koen
tatters

After Dusty’s recent fall, they did some shows with their guitar tech Elwood Francis. And yes, he has a beard.

Is that a fake beard he's wearing???

[www.youtube.com]

Good Lord! Well, if Billy insists on continuing in this manner I hope he at least finds himself a better impersonator. Maybe it'll become like KISS, where it sorta looks like you're seeing the original band, but underneath the wigs and makeup, it's really not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-29 14:41 by tatters.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 29, 2021 14:56

Yeah, that looks like a fake Dusty...but then it was done before he passed. Now the replacement can look more like himself and have more time to grow one. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what they look like if it sounds good.

Date: July 29, 2021 19:20

Dusty Hill Was ZZ Top’s Center of Gravity

This is how the Texas band ends.

By Chris Vognar
July 28, 2021

ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill performing in Boston in 2016.
Winslow Townson/Invision/AP

[www.texasmonthly.com]

Date: July 29, 2021 19:23

"Let Dusty Sing One!" ZZ Top’s Dusty Hill (1949-2021) and the Pursuit of the Perfect Note

Legendary Texas bassist died in his sleep Tuesday night

By Tim Stegall, Jul. 29, 2021

Dusty Hill performing with ZZ Top at the Austin360 Amphitheater on May 19, 2019 (photo by David Brendan Hall)

[www.austinchronicle.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 29, 2021 19:35

29-Jul-2021: "ZZ Top won't stop performing and touring after the July 28 death of longtime bass player and co-vocalist Dusty Hill. The bluesy Southern rock veterans already have a replacement musician, allowing them to continue their ongoing North American tour that stretches into 2022." .... "Gibbons was referring to the fact that ZZ Top guitar technician Elwood Francis had already taken Hill's place on bass starting earlier this month after Hill had to leave the tour because of a hip injury. Days later, Hill died at his home in Houston at the age of 72. Francis will presumably stay in the onstage position at least until the band's current trek concludes next year." -- [LoudWire.com] .

"ZZ Top will never be the same after the death of Hill, but they are carrying on following a cancellation of their gig Wednesday night in Simpsonville, South Carolina. They are slated to return Friday in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and they have dates on the books through the end of the year and well into 2022. 'As Dusty said upon his departure, "Let the show go on!" Gibbons wrote in a text to Eddie Trunk. And with respect, we’ll do well to get beyond this and honor his wishes'." -- [www.RollingStone.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-29 19:45 by Irix.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 29, 2021 19:40

Thanks for the articles bye bye johnny.

And for those in doubt about Elwood Francis's beard, from the Austin Chronicle article:

"Longtime guitar tech Elwood Francis deputized for the bassist for last week’s shows, complete with a flowing beard grown during COVID lockdown".

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home