Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 19
Re: Rehearsals and private show rumors - 2021 US Tour
Date: September 11, 2021 01:08

I would suggest Mick and/or Keith give an interview or two to generate some publicity, which would lead to higher ticket sales.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: September 11, 2021 06:31

There were the Brian Jones years up to 1969, then we had the Mick Taylor years up to 1974 or so, then we lost Bill Wyman with the band after 1990. Still they have been performing live, and recording new songs for 30 years, and performing to millions.

I don't want to start another Charlie Watts discussion here, I just want people to give Steve Jordan a chance. The band want to go on tour, and I know Steve Jordan will do a great job on their songs. In St Louis it will me magic when they hit the stage, even if we will miss Charlie deeply.

Bjornulf

NOTHING MORE TO SAY - well said, let´s enjoy life!

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 11, 2021 10:37

makemeburnthecandle
I would suggest Mick and/or Keith give an interview or two to generate some publicity, which would lead to higher ticket sales.

I think the Stones have reached a point where interviews are a bit pointless, it's all been said hasn't it, I'm grateful they have the energy to tour, balls to interviews and meet & greets, just save it for the music, it's the promoters loss if tickets don't sell not Mick and Keiths, maybe offer more down to earth pricing next time, it's just greed.

I would imagine it's different this time as far as people buying tickets is concerned, most people will leave it until a few days before show time to buy their tickets, in case the covid restrictions alter, why would you book tickets travel and hotel etc weeks in advance if there is no need to, if it's true venues are only half sold out ( Personally I think that's BS as most people kept their postponed tickets ) what's the rush to buy tickets that could be cancelled due to covid tests etc.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 11, 2021 12:06

I think interviews are a bit tricky for the Stones at this point. Pretty obviously, a major topic any reporter wants to ask about would be Charlie and his death. Not only painful to have to talk about in public but, on any showing, a bit of a downer of a topic when you are trying to flog tickets to a tour! Whatever they say can only highlight a major component of the band is gone and they are elderly men themselves. Bigging up Steve Jordan as his replacement and bringing a new aspect to their playing just looks trite and heartless. Equally, if they embargo questions about Charlie, or skirt round them (as they have traditionally done with previous departures) they sound like emotional f*ckwits. I don't see how even Mick's legendary hard media skills and Keith's equally legendary 'soft' media skills could make an interview experience at this particular stage a good experience for them or anyone else. Best let the music speak for itself and give any personal thoughts about Charlie they chose to share with the public at a later stage.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 11, 2021 12:32

Best let the music speak for itself

Yes ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 11, 2021 19:04

I'm not convinced that the band is experiencing any joy at this time...I think the promoters and insurance companies have them in a very nasty position right now...to think Mick, Keith & Ronnie are really looking forward to this tour is unimaginable...it is something they are forced to do or perhaps lose future tour insurance...I don't know if any of this is true but I'm thinking strictly from the personal angle. If I just lost a " brother" I've had for 60 years, joy would NOT be something I'd be feeling...it's a good thing the band is guaranteed $5 million because I expect to see a lot of empty seats, not only because of Charlie's passing but because many sensible fans are not taking the risk of exposing themselves to a very transmissible Covid strain. I'm holding my breathe until this tour is over and praying that the band does not get Covid.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 11, 2021 19:56

bv
I do not delete anything here unless it is stalking private individuals, completely off topic, like discussing bass players, set list etc, as I mentioned yesterday in an earlier post here. Also, calling me or others by names is not very smart. I spent two hours cleaning out offending and completely off-topic posts here yesterday night.

The band is working hard every day rehearsing, of course. There is no ghost band, it's the real Rolling Stones. No worries, this will be a great tour, and in seventeen - 17 - days, they will be on stage in St Louis.

I agree that calling you names is not very smart.

I think that discussing bass players here is harmless and that it is not necessary to delete them ( even if they are off topic)

It is your site. You are a Hero for all the dedicated work you carry out.

I'm very stupid.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: September 11, 2021 20:51

bv
There were the Brian Jones years up to 1969, then we had the Mick Taylor years up to 1974 or so, then we lost Bill Wyman with the band after 1990. Still they have been performing live, and recording new songs for 30 years, and performing to millions.

I don't want to start another Charlie Watts discussion here, I just want people to give Steve Jordan a chance. The band want to go on tour, and I know Steve Jordan will do a great job on their songs. In St Louis it will me magic when they hit the stage, even if we will miss Charlie deeply.

Well said !!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 11, 2021 20:57

RG
bv

Well said !!

The fact that he had Charlie's personal blessings to sit in for him, helps a lot as well.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 11, 2021 21:00

DandelionPowderman
DirtyT
They do actually drive into the studio.. THey have a garage so trucks with equipment can go in out. And by that I mean the studio they are at do mostly movie stuff.. But Mick has been arriving Mercedes right into studio garage area.

Just like when they rehearsed in the movie studios in Oslo before the tour opener in 2014.

On Instagram Karl gives a message from a "bunker inside a Stones bubble "

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: September 11, 2021 21:24

mickschix
I'm not convinced that the band is experiencing any joy at this time...I think the promoters and insurance companies have them in a very nasty position right now...to think Mick, Keith & Ronnie are really looking forward to this tour is unimaginable...it is something they are forced to do or perhaps lose future tour insurance...I don't know if any of this is true but I'm thinking strictly from the personal angle. If I just lost a " brother" I've had for 60 years, joy would NOT be something I'd be feeling...it's a good thing the band is guaranteed $5 million because I expect to see a lot of empty seats, not only because of Charlie's passing but because many sensible fans are not taking the risk of exposing themselves to a very transmissible Covid strain. I'm holding my breathe until this tour is over and praying that the band does not get Covid.

yes, this is very good. surprised that this take isn't the dominant take of a tour taking place less than a month after charlie's passing. when it comes to SJ, mick, keith and ronnie are not going to audition people. they would take the person that has worked with mick or keith the most. it happens that keith has someone he's worked with more. somehow they are gonna have to speak to the press about charlie before the first show. is it possible they don't? sure. but either way it just points to the feeling that this tour is being forced on them. and unfortunetly by a promoter that wants to capture tax losses they can carry into the future. mick, keith and ronnie doing a tour of half empty stadiums, at this time and place? doesn't feel like mick to me. how does this contribute to their happiness or their need to let go of charlie? but we'll know sept. 26th.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 11, 2021 23:17

Lien

What did Karl say? Sorry, I'm not on Instagram.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 11, 2021 23:19

Lien
DandelionPowderman
DirtyT
They do actually drive into the studio.. THey have a garage so trucks with equipment can go in out. And by that I mean the studio they are at do mostly movie stuff.. But Mick has been arriving Mercedes right into studio garage area.

Just like when they rehearsed in the movie studios in Oslo before the tour opener in 2014.

Wondering how they're going to work it out when they have to emerge from the "bunker inside a Stones bubble" in order to perform for tens of thousands of people who are not part of their "bubble".
It's not like the NBA bubble last season where teams made up of young healthy athletes were completely isolated and cardboard cutouts of fans were placed in the stands -
this will be completely different with near 80 year olds w/health issues being exposed to thousands upon thousands of fans - some vaccinated some not.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 11, 2021 23:20

Even before the first Charlie news back in early August (the ones about his illness) there was talk about this tour being basically forced upon the band by the insurance companies.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 11, 2021 23:23

Good point on this "not being Mick"...In France they had poor sales in 2007 in Lyon and Paris and the venues were far from full (with tarped up areas). That probably was not lost on him (and the promoters ?) because the 2014 show in Paris was the "cheapest" one of the tour by far and it was a sellout with 75000+ in the audience at the SDF.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: dcarey ()
Date: September 11, 2021 23:43

Not to sound disrespectful, by how much time is needed for them to rehearse the same 18 or so songs that has been their live set-list for what seems like the past two decades of touring ?

Posted by: campxray ()
Date: September 12, 2021 00:16

Topi
Lien

He said something like 'Quarantine Karl here at an undisclosed location within the Stones' bubble.' His message was not really to Stones' fans but to his own fans apologizing that he won't be at some festival with his buddies but he's telling his fans to go check them out anyways. Sasha is still doing a lot of Instagram stories daily, but no mention of rehearsals. I wonder if she was stopped from saying anything.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-12 03:34 by campxray.

Date: September 12, 2021 05:05

Dcarey, I always wondered why they rehearse 75-100 songs and yet play the very same songs each show....they're down to 21 songs now and about 2 hours & 15 minutes, varying one song on the B-stage and maybe one from the main set list..once in awhile Keith will change one from his 2-song mini-set...I understand the need to play warhorses for the folks who are seeing them for the first time BUT with a catalog as huge as theirs, the OLDER fans would appreciate at least 2 or 3 gems per show....not too much to ask. And yes, Topi, it is widely know that the insurance company is demanding they do these shows as " make-ups" from the cancelled 2020 shows.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 12, 2021 05:12

mickschix
Dcarey, I always wondered why they rehearse 75-100 songs and yet play the very same songs each show....they're down to 21 songs now and about 2 hours & 15 minutes, varying one song on the B-stage and maybe one from the main set list..once in awhile Keith will change one from his 2-song mini-set...I understand the need to play warhorses for the folks who are seeing them for the first time BUT with a catalog as huge as theirs, the OLDER fans would appreciate at least 2 or 3 gems per show....not too much to ask. And yes, Topi, it is widely know that the insurance company is demanding they do these shows as " make-ups" from the cancelled 2020 shows.

The set list is driven by The Chuckster. 'nuff said.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 12, 2021 05:18

Rehearsals are rehearsals, not performance.

Have you ever seen a soccer player or an ice hockey player rehearse, i.e. practice? It is not about 3 x 20 minutes playing. A great hockey player may stay at the goal line rink side i.e. 0% angle and shoot at the goal for an hour, practicing how to hit the goal from a dead angle. Believe me, I have seen it. That's how the greatest do it. Same with soccer, i.e. football. Kids spend hours shooting at almost impossible angles, in order to score. Defenders spend hours in the gym, lifting iron. Practice and show is totally different.

They practice bridges and how they act together. They practice how Midnight Rambler and Gimme Shelter and Ghost Town and all those other songs are working, because after two years off touring, they need to get the rock and roll and bridges and bits and pieces together. Nothing new here, it is not about the songs, but about playing together, fine tuning the machine of The Rolling Stones.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 12, 2021 05:19

CaptainCorella
mickschix

The set list is driven by The Chuckster. 'nuff said.

It isn't. Its drawn up by 'The Chuckster' and most of the more 'left field' suggestions are kicked into touch by 'The Mickster'.

Date: September 12, 2021 05:23

Chuck Leavell has SOME input regarding the set list but don't lay all the blame at his feet..he is a very talented, versatile musician and would have no problem playing deeper cuts .Mick, Keith & Ronnie must have some input on the songs that go on the set list each night. It's a matter of satisfying what they imagine fans, other than us hard-core guys, need to hear...they sadly play to the new-comers. For those of us who have seen dozens of shows, it can be disappointing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-12 19:31 by mickschix.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 12, 2021 06:03

mickschix
Chuck Leavell has SOME input regarding the set list but don't lay all the blame at his feet..he is a very talented, versatile musician and would have no problem playing deeper cuts...I actually write to Chuck from time to time as I did to express my condolences to him and the band with the passing of Charlie...Mick, Keith & Ronnie have input on the songs that go on the set list each night. It's a matter of satisfying what they imagine fans, other than us hard-core guys, need to hear...they sadly play to the new-comers...I'll ask Chuck about this..he always answers my emails. I don't understand why he gets so much flak, he's truly a great guy.

He shouldn’t. People on here are hateful sometimes fir no reason

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 12, 2021 08:35

Yeah, I don't get the hate that he gets from some people here.

plexi

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: September 12, 2021 12:11

Topi
Lien

Come on Topi, as Rolling Stones fan YOU have to be on Instagram!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 12, 2021 12:15

There is a new instagram story of Matt Clifford throwing Sasha Allen into a pool

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 12, 2021 12:28

dcarey
Not to sound disrespectful, by how much time is needed for them to rehearse the same 18 or so songs that has been their live set-list for what seems like the past two decades of touring ?

Have you heard Keith’s “unenhanced” intro to Start me Up at Hyde Park in 2013? Keith’s intro to Happy in Perth 2014?

The more rehearsals the better I’d think. Particularly with a new drummer.

Rod

Date: September 12, 2021 12:30

StonedRambler
There is a new instagram story of Matt Clifford throwing Sasha Allen into a pool

Actually not on Matt’s, but on Shasha’s Instagram story-line

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-12 12:36 by Christiaan.

Date: September 12, 2021 12:33

Sasha’s Instagram

[www.instagram.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-12 12:41 by Christiaan.

Date: September 12, 2021 12:33

Link to Karl’s story-line on Instagram

[www.instagram.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1409
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home