Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Hot Rocks Lives On
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 31, 2021 06:58

jbwelda
That was my opinion at the time too: I have all this already so don't really need it. I always did look for the early version of it with the alt takes of oh I don't recall, Wild Horses and You Got The Silver or something. Had the matrix number on a piece of paper in my pocket.

Had and loved High Tides and Green Grass, even though duplicated what I had.

Take that back, I once bought the MFSL version of Hot Rocks Vol 1 but that was some years later.

jb

Yes I have a couple of copies of that Hot Rocks, the "Shelley" version with the November date scratched into the dead space. It has the Clapton version of Brown Sugar, that's what makes it memorable/collectible.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 31, 2021 07:08

treaclefingers
jbwelda
That was my opinion at the time too: I have all this already so don't really need it. I always did look for the early version of it with the alt takes of oh I don't recall, Wild Horses and You Got The Silver or something. Had the matrix number on a piece of paper in my pocket.

Take that back, I once bought the MFSL version of Hot Rocks Vol 1 but that was some years later.

jb

Yes I have a couple of copies of that Hot Rocks, the "Shelley" version with the November date scratched into the dead space. It has the Clapton version of Brown Sugar, that's what makes it memorable/collectible.

My first CD of Hot Rocks was the London West German 2 separate CD set mastered by MFSL which I bought as imports at A&A records on Seymour just down the street from A&B Sound. This was early 1986 before ABKCO released all their 60s albums on CD in North America. I actually bought whatever imports they had there at the time including the first album, 12x5, Out of our Heads,Aftermath, Buttons, Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed.
This version of Hot Rocks as many know contains stereo versions of Play With Fire, Satisfaction, Mothers Little Helper and GOO My Cloud.
Even after buying all the 2002 SACD hybrids, I still find certain songs from those original imports better sounding, especially Lady Jane.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 31, 2021 14:14

jbwelda

jb

So you have no live albums? Coz you still have those tracks too? Out just the one? Which one?

Rod

Date: July 31, 2021 16:46

DGA35
treaclefingers
jbwelda

jb

My first CD of Hot Rocks was the London West German 2 separate CD set mastered by MFSL which I bought as imports at A&A records on Seymour just down the street from A&B Sound. This was early 1986 before ABKCO released all their 60s albums on CD in North America. I actually bought whatever imports they had there at the time including the first album, 12x5, Out of our Heads,Aftermath, Buttons, Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed.
This version of Hot Rocks as many know contains stereo versions of Play With Fire, Satisfaction, Mothers Little Helper and GOO My Cloud.
Even after buying all the 2002 SACD hybrids, I still find certain songs from those original imports better sounding, especially Lady Jane.

Ha...that brings back memories. Can't remember the number of hours I spent Saturday mornings at A&B Sound on Seymour, slightly hungover after a night drinking at the Pit at UBC. Around '87 I bought a CD player and started buying CD's, but only latter day Stones releases. I already had everything on vinyl.

I think my first CD's were Tattoo You, Some Girls, Black and Blue and Undercover, and Hot Rocks.

For some reason I didn't get any of those early albums on CD, probably didn't have the cash, and only bought them all in 2002.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 31, 2021 19:59

bitusa2012
jbwelda

jb

So you have no live albums? Coz you still have those tracks too? Out just the one? Which one?

Try to think a little bit. "Live" version is not the same as a studio version, now is it? "Out just the one? Which one?"...sorry does not compute. Maybe English is your second language or something.

I buy what I want and do not apologize to hecklers.

thanks though
jb

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 31, 2021 20:24

DGA35
Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei
There's just one song glaringly missing from Hot Rocks in my opinion and that would be The Last Time

Agreed, though She's A Rainbow should also be in there. If only vinyl had more room!

I could maybe do without As Tears Go By

I'm sure ABKCO withheld some songs since they probably had More Hot Rocks ready to release too.

They didn't decide to release More Hot Rocks until after Hot Rocks was a good seller. They were originally going to release an lp of rarities but that idea was nixed at the time and More Hot Rocks became a compromise as it had some of the better tracks not released on Hot Rocks and some tracks not released on lp in the U.S. at that time.

The revisited the rarities idea with the release of Metamorphosis but it was a compromise as well because Klein didn't want to include many rock blues and soul covers so side had a bunch of tracks many of which were demos for other bands and don't even feature the Stones. They feature Jagger singing with studio musicians backing him.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-31 21:11 by boogaloojef.

Date: July 31, 2021 20:27

treaclefingers
jbwelda

jb

The Shelly version of Hot Rocks has alternate versions of Brown Sugar and Wild Horses which appeared in the Gimme Shelter movie.

Date: July 31, 2021 20:35

Nikkei
There's just one song glaringly missing from Hot Rocks in my opinion and that would be The Last Time

I ran a poll on another forum and the top three songs people wanted added to Hot Rocks were as follows.

The Last Time
She's A Rainbow
It's All Over Now

The old Rolling Stone magazine review of Hot Rocks mentioned their psychedelic period wasn't well represented nor their early R&B/Blues years without Not Fade Away, It's All Over Now or any Chuck Berry covers for example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-31 20:35 by boogaloojef.

Date: July 31, 2021 20:40

treaclefingers
Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei

Agreed, though She's A Rainbow should also be in there. If only vinyl had more room!

I could maybe do without As Tears Go By

Bite your tongue.

Actually, was also thinking that Little Red Rooster and Not Fade Away are glaringly not on. Maybe that's because it was a US release and those songs weren't that big in the US? Tell Me is another one.

Yeah Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks were geared for the U.S. market (The U.K. had Rolled Gold) so tracks like Little Red Rooster and I Wanna Be Your Man for example didn't appear on either Hot Rocks or More Hot Rocks as they were not that popular in the U.S.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 10, 2021 15:18

Because I am old and pathetic I have become quite obsessive about monitoring the chart performance of Hot Rocks on the Billboard 200. And I'm delighted to see that is still there this week. Another mini-surge in sales for the past three weeks now. And all the while it is creeping closer and closer to a total of 364 weeks - meaning a chart lifespan of seven years. Albeit accumulated over the several decades that have elapsed since the album was first released.

In fact this week (Aug 10th 2021) sees quite a number of bands from 'my era' on the chart - ZZ Top, Zeppelin, The Beach Boys, the original (Peter Green led) Fleetwood Mac, Grateful Dead, CCR, The Beatles, Bob Seger, Bob Marley, GnR, Tom Petty. Looking at those names places me inside a mini-time capsule transporting me back to those days when the charts mattered, and I would tune in every week to the Top Twenty Countdown, eagerly awaiting news of my favourite single(s) of that moment and arguing with my best friends about the merits and demerits of the songs being played.

Those were the days. But , hey, we still have The Stones, or some of them at least, flying the flag as a performing entity. Whatever we might think about the overly-static set-list, whatever we may think about the merits and demerits of performing without one of the original compadres, and whatever we might think about the 'will-they, wont-they' issue of a possible new recording, this is quite an achievement. And then some.

How do they do it?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 10, 2021 16:42

It was Hot Rocks that opened up my eyes and made me realize how many hits that the Stones had. And it was because of Hot Rocks that I started working backwards to collect all their earlier albums.

Date: August 10, 2021 17:03

Sighunt
It was Hot Rocks that opened up my eyes and made me realize how many hits that the Stones had. And it was because of Hot Rocks that I started working backwards to collect all their earlier albums.

ditto!

Date: August 10, 2021 20:57

treaclefingers
Sighunt

ditto!

Excellent points from you both. Hot Rocks is an excellent primer for the Stones 1960s output. Here in Britain it was superceded to an extent by the quite wonderful Rolled Gold compilation album that covered the same time period when the band were on the Decca and London labels in the UK and the US respectively.

The Stones 60s studio albums are extraordinary of course, and that description applies to both the US and UK versions of each. The UK albums might be more coherent musically, have a greater number of tracks and far less duplication, but the quality of the music itself is superb. Absolutely 5 star stuff all the way.

If only they would play more of these numbers in concert. Down Home Girl, Route 66, Little By Little, Tell Me, Around & Around, Down The Road Apiece, Off The Hook, Heart of Stone, Little Red Rooster, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Have You Seen Your Mother Baby? Oh man!!! The chances of hearing ANY of those numbers is 0% but it is a wonderful fantasy!

Date: August 31, 2021 14:47

Good, though not surprising, to see another surge in sales for Hot Rocks this week. Back up to No. 73 on the Billboard 200. Also back in the UK charts. It proves, yet again, that whatever Stones fans like me think, the good old warhorses are what the vast majority of music buyers want to hear from the band. And to a consummate businessman like Mick Jagger, this proves that a warhorse-rich set list is the way to go in live performance.

Can't blame the man for that, no matter how much I want them to try something different.

I'd hoped that one of the post-1970 compilations might also return to the charts - Jump Back, Honk, Made In The Shade, Rewind, etc, but sadly no joy there. It really is the Decca/London era that has captured the attention, and more importantly the market, for Rolling Stones recorded music.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 31, 2021 15:27

Thread inspired me to finally pick up a RSD yellow vinyl copy.
On sale through Amazon for $39.99. Love this album.
[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 31, 2021 15:42

A cassette of Hot Rock was to be my first-ever Rolling Stones purchase. For all the nostalgia I have for it, it's continued success is baffling. For me, it only works alongside More Hot Rocks as it's companion piece. I do think the revamped Rolled Gold is the best stand-alone collection of their Decca/London era.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 31, 2021 16:18

Hot Rocks (1) was my first Stones 'album'. I bought it on CD in 1990, when Paint it Black topped the charts again (thanks to the Tour of Duty series). Still love the collection,

Date: August 31, 2021 19:30

Big Al
A cassette of Hot Rock was to be my first-ever Rolling Stones purchase. For all the nostalgia I have for it, it's continued success is baffling. For me, it only works alongside More Hot Rocks as it's companion piece. Like you I also think the revamped Rolled Gold is the best stand-alone collection of their Decca/London era.

I totally agree sir. Hot Rocks really only tells one half of the story of their Decca/London era. More Hot Rocks is a more interesting album for those with in-depth interest in the band, collecting as it does the material originally released on EP (Extended Play) singles in the UK. Like you I do love Rolled Gold. I first bought it on double vinyl when it had twenty-eight tracks. Even then it was pretty decent. But the revamped version you mention - all forty tracks of it - is absolutely superb, and to me it will always, by a distance, stand as the best ever compilation of the Decca/London years.

There is also a triple CD set called The London Years which collects all the early Stones A & B sides plus choice album cuts from that era. And, incidentally, Memo From Turner also for good measure. But, comprehensive as it is, The London Years, in my opinion, does not surpass Rolled Gold. It is a rather sprawling and untidy album. Some of that may be because of differing single releases in Britain and the US. In fact the quite large difference between single AND album releases between both countries throughout the 1960's has always confused me. In the US the practice of padding out albums with already-released singles, taken together with US albums having fewer tracks anyway - typically ten or twelves compared to fourteen in the UK - meant the Stones released a greater number of albums in the US, even though the overall amount of music was pretty similar.

One day I will sit down and try to make sense of it all.

Date: September 3, 2021 16:35

I've just seen that Honk has entered the lower reaches of the UK midweek/update chart. I actually do like Honk. While it is hardly an earth shatteringly great album, it is a perfectly decent summary of some of The Stones better known material from their later years. It focuses on their singles of course, and bypasses some really good album tracks. But I'm pleased to see that there is some wider appreciation of their more recent work.

It will be interesting to see if Honk actually retains its position on the week-end chart. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: September 3, 2021 19:44

We in continental Europe were lucky to usually get the most of it: under the DECCA label we got Out of Our Heads "Featuring I can´t get no Satisfaction", Flowers, Have you seen your Mother LIVE?, December´s Children and so on. And all those albums not available in USA nor in UK, such as Around and Around.

The London label surfaced officially I think first in the early 70´s with Hot Rocks.

Date: September 4, 2021 17:47

I was always curious about those European albums too Kristian, like the one you mention - Around & Around. I guess they simply had a different combination of the same tracks we got in Britain. No actual new music as such.

I have often wondered why albums were not standardised much sooner than they were? Both The Beatles and The Stones released very different versions of their albums in Britain and America. I think it might be because both bands were actually on completely different record labels in each country. The Stones on Decca and London, The Beatles on Parlophone and Capitol. In Britain there was - at least for a while - an honourable attempt to avoid duplication by not releasing singles on albums. Not so in the US where album releases frequently contained little more than six or seven new tracks because both the A and B sides of already-released singles were also included on albums. And that was in addition to having fewer tracks on US albums also.

It must have been tempting for US record labels to cash in by being able to nail together almost twice as many album releases from the same amount of music as we got in Britain. My understanding is that the bands themselves were not very happy about it. US albums were a strange hotch-potch of recordings often made 2-3 years apart during which time each band had evolved their style considerably, moving on from their early cover-version approach to original material that was considerably more interesting.

I'm not dismissing the US albums disrespectfully. I know that many of my American friends love the versions of early Beatles and Stones albums they grew up with. I can understand that. I still retain a fondness for some of the early (late 60s era) UK compilation albums released by The Stones even though they have long since been surpassed by more recently compiled material, with far more tracks, and much improved sound reproduction.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: September 5, 2021 10:14

Hot Rocks' place in my Stones history.

My first four Stones albums were
1. Through The Past Darkly. This was the most disturbing looking product to have made it into our conservative southern home at that point. But it had Honky Tonk Women. And, tho just 14, I HAD to have HTW. I'd passed on Let It Bleed because... where's HTW? What is Country Honk? And nobody I knew had the album so I had little idea of what I was missing.
2. Sticky Fingers. More uncouth looking than disturbing; TTPDarkly, and two years, had made its passage into the house less of a issue.
3. Hot Rocks. Unexpected cover. Is Charlie Watts a... medieval something or other? Didn't know. And it didn't matter. There had never existed anywhere before such a collection of great music! And including HTW sure didn't hurt! Both discs got played a lot, and loudly.
4. Exile On Main Street. Couldn't make heads or tails of the freak show chaos of its cover, but now I HAD to have it.

Saw them live in July '72.

In '73 the Goat's Head Soup singles radio stations played were Angie, which I despised, and Heartbreaker, which I regarded as only slightly better. No one I knew had a copy. And that exhausted the ways most of us heard recorded music back then, in the southern U.S., at least. I didn't buy it, nor the Stones' next two albums either. I was out, and thinking they might be done, 'til 1978. My sister did buy IORR, so I did hear that at the time. But I wouldn't know there was anything at all to my tastes on GHS for decades to come.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: September 5, 2021 15:04

GerardHennessy
I was always curious about those European albums too Kristian, like the one you mention - Around & Around. I guess they simply had a different combination of the same tracks we got in Britain. No actual new music as such.

I have often wondered why albums were not standardised much sooner than they were? Both The Beatles and The Stones released very different versions of their albums in Britain and America. I think it might be because both bands were actually on completely different record labels in each country. The Stones on Decca and London, The Beatles on Parlophone and Capitol. In Britain there was - at least for a while - an honourable attempt to avoid duplication by not releasing singles on albums. Not so in the US where album releases frequently contained little more than six or seven new tracks because both the A and B sides of already-released singles were also included on albums. And that was in addition to having fewer tracks on US albums also.

It must have been tempting for US record labels to cash in by being able to nail together almost twice as many album releases from the same amount of music as we got in Britain. My understanding is that the bands themselves were not very happy about it. US albums were a strange hotch-potch of recordings often made 2-3 years apart during which time each band had evolved their style considerably, moving on from their early cover-version approach to original material that was considerably more interesting.

I'm not dismissing the US albums disrespectfully. I know that many of my American friends love the versions of early Beatles and Stones albums they grew up with. I can understand that. I still retain a fondness for some of the early (late 60s era) UK compilation albums released by The Stones even though they have long since been surpassed by more recently compiled material, with far more tracks, and much improved sound reproduction.

To make the picture even more fuzzy, we used to get the US London albums thru Tandy´s Records, the UK mail order company.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 6, 2021 00:45

TheBluesHadaBaby

Thanks for sharing ....
always entertaining to find out how
people get ta stumble upon The Stones camp ......

ROCKMAN

Date: September 7, 2021 13:28

Rockman
TheBluesHadaBaby

Thanks for sharing ....
always entertaining to find out how
people get ta stumble upon The Stones camp ......

Me too, and thanks to Kristian for his interesting contributions.

I never knew that the early US albums on London Records were distributed in some cases by a UK based organisation. Back in the 60's I had no idea that the US albums contained mostly the same tracks we got in Europe, just divided up differently, and with singles and B sides included also. In my innocence I thought they comprised completely different recordings and I was desperate to get hold of them. Eventually I sent to the States for both the Flowers and December's Children albums. It cost me a small fortune, plus a big customs fee on arrival, and a three month wait. To my horror I then discovered that in reality I already had ALMOST everything they included, except Ride On Baby (on Flowers), and both Look What You Done & Blue Turns To Grey (on Decembers Children)

Nowadays I feel spoilt by the internet, where it is so easy to find out stuff about record releases. I had failed completely, despite searching for several months, to ascertain the Flowers and Decembers Children track listing before sending for them. That sounds pathetic now, but was an everyday reality back in 1966.

Date: September 7, 2021 17:05

Big Al
A cassette of Hot Rock was to be my first-ever Rolling Stones purchase. For all the nostalgia I have for it, it's continued success is baffling. For me, it only works alongside More Hot Rocks as it's companion piece. I do think the revamped Rolled Gold is the best stand-alone collection of their Decca/London era.

When did they release the Rolled Gold +, 2009 or so?

I bought the hefty vinyl version (either 3 or 4 albums) and also they had a USB stick version of the album which I purchased at the time. Very expansive collection of their DECCA years. Only thing that could rival it would be the box set (3 CD's/4 vinyl) of singles, or the series of 3 box sets of CD singles.

Date: September 7, 2021 20:34

treaclefingers
Big Al

I bought the hefty vinyl version (either 3 or 4 albums) and also they had a USB stick version of the album which I purchased at the time. Very expansive collection of their DECCA years. Only thing that could rival it would be the box set (3 CD's/4 vinyl) of singles, or the series of 3 box sets of CD singles.

The original Rolled Gold album, comprising 28 tracks was released - without the band's permission - in 1975. The expanded version of that album, now comprising 40 tracks, and renamed Rolled Gold +, was released in November 2007. Taking advantage of the remastering carried out for the reissue of the entire Decca/London Rolling Stones back catalogue in 2006, it not only gave a comprehensive overview of their single releases on Decca/London, it also contained a slew of choice album cuts too. And all with top quality audio reproduction to add a very plump cherry on top.

Date: September 8, 2021 02:47

GerardHennessy
treaclefingers
Big Al

The original Rolled Gold album, comprising 28 tracks was released - without the band's permission - in 1975. The expanded version of that album, now comprising 40 tracks, and renamed Rolled Gold +, was released in November 2007. Taking advantage of the remastering carried out for the reissue of the entire Decca/London Rolling Stones back catalogue in 2006, it not only gave a comprehensive overview of their single releases on Decca/London, it also contained a slew of choice album cuts too. And all with top quality audio reproduction to add a very plump cherry on top.

That first decade of the millenium is a bit of a blur, thanks for the facts Gerald. I remember the Rarities album coming out (starbucks exclusive?) around that time too...just after ABB. Plus we had the SACD Hybrids a few years earlier and then those CD Single box sets and I think in 2009 the GYYYO Superdeluxe.

I was in collection overdrive mode in that decade, getting all the old DECCA and London vinyl albums and singles, and then trying to get a bunch of them in 'still sealed' condition.

I'll have to go back and see if any of that is worth anything now.

Date: September 8, 2021 12:06

You are absolutely correct - the Rarities album was indeed a Starbucks release in the US. Here in the UK it was released more widely on Virgin Records in 2005.

For someone like me this album was a Godsend as it gave me access to several tracks I had previously been unable to obtain. Subsequently I have treated myself to the boxed set of CD singles from the post 1970 period which has enabled me to get hold of a huge amount of additional recordings also - in particular the B sides, different mixes and a variety of edits.

In case it is of any interest to anyone visiting this thread here is the track listing of the Rarities album together with information on the source of each track.

• "Fancy Man Blues" – 4:48
o B-side to "Mixed Emotions" in 1989
• "Tumbling Dice" (Live) – 4:02 Rehearsal/live version, originally
intended to be included on Stripped; previously released on the "Wild
Horses" single (1996
• "Wild Horses" (Live Stripped Version) – 5:10
• "Beast of Burden" (Live) – 5:04
o Live version that originally appeared as the B-side to "Going to a Go-Go" in 1982
• "Anyway You Look at It" – 4:20
o B-side to "Saint of Me" in 1998
• "If I Was a Dancer (Dance Pt. 2)" (Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood) – 5:50
o An Emotional Rescue outtake that originally appeared on 1981's Sucking
in the Seventies
• "Miss You" (Dance Version) – 7:32
o "Special Disco Version" from 1978 originally ran 8:36; this version has
been edited.
• "Wish I'd Never Met You" – 4:39
o B-side to "Terrifying" in 1990
• "I Just Wanna Make Love to You" (Live) (Willie Dixon) – 3:55
• Originally appeared as "I Just Want to Make Love to You" as one of the
tracks of the B-side of the Maxi-Single "Highwire" in 1991
• "Mixed Emotions" (12" Version) – 6:12)
• "Through the Lonely Nights" – 4:12
o B-side to "It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)" in 1974
• "Live with Me" (Live) – 3:47
o B-side of "Wild Horses" single from 1996
• "Let It Rock" (Live) (Chuck Berry) – 2:46
o Originally released as an additional track on the B-side of "Brown
Sugar" from 1971 in the UK only.
• "Harlem Shuffle" (NY Mix) (Bob Relf, Earl Nelson) – 5:48
o Extended Remix. This version has been edited; the original 12" release
ran 6:35
• "Mannish Boy" (Live) (McKinley Morganfield, Ellas McDaniel, Mel London)
– 4:28
• Live recording from Love You Live / edit from Sucking in the Seventies
• "Thru and Thru" (Live) – 6:39
o Recorded live January 2003 and featured on the DVD set Four Flicks

Date: September 8, 2021 12:40

Latest Hot Rocks update.

This week - September 8th 2021 - Hot Rocks clocked up week number 362 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart. Two weeks short of completing its 7th year on the chart.

It is in good company, as fellow Stones-era performers on the chart include The Beatles (twice), Elton John, Bob Seger, The Beach Boys (also twice), CCR, Aerosmith and AC/DC. To mention just a few.

Of course weeks on the chart does not equate directly to sales. The Stones have rarely enjoyed very lengthy chart runs, tending to sell heavily in the first few weeks after release with sales tailing off pretty quickly thereafter.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home