Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Hot Rocks Lives On
Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 28, 2021 21:25

And who gets all the profits from Hot Rocks? Allen Klein's estate does.

“Hot Rocks” is the first compilation album of Rolling Stones music released by former manager Allen Klein’s ABKCO Records (who gained control of the band’s Decca/London material in 1970)

Allen Klein
BORN
Dec 18, 1931
Newark, NJ
DIED
Jul 04, 2009
age 77

Klein the rip off artist is long gone at the tender age of 77, while Mick and Keith are in fine fettle. Charlie and Ronnie too.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 28, 2021 21:52

Erik_Snow
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
1963luca0
In my opinion, this re-wamp could depend on the RSD re-issue, on 17 July.
True that they are not too many copies, but could be enough to move the charts and let some buy the 2CD edition, too.
That said, I always preferred 'Rolled Gold' to 'Hot Rocks': no Brown Sugar, no Wild Horses but still the best ever compilation for the DECCA/London years.
Bye, Luca

When they reissued Rolled Gold on cd in 2007 as Rolled Gold + They added all of the tracks from Hot Rocks which were not already on Rolled Gold and some from More Hot Rocks as well. This is now the best compilation from the Abkco Years.

Here is a list of tracks added to Rolled Gold +

"Tell Me"
"Heart of Stone"
"Play with Fire"
"I'm Free"
"Mother's Little Helper"
"Dandelion"
"2000 Light Years from Home"
"No Expectations"
"Let It Bleed"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"Brown Sugar"
"Wild Horses"

Rolled Gold also contains some tracks not included on Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks such as Little Red Roster and I Wanna Be Your Man along with Carol and Yesterday's Papers.

Those tracks (+ others) are on Rolled Gold vol. 2, btw.

Yes some of them are on Rolled Gold Vol. 2

That's right. Vol. 2.

I believe Rolled Gold is a non North American release? I recall reading that ABKCO was allowed to release compilation albums as part of their legal settlement with the Stones, hence Metamorphosis, Rolled Gold, Stoneage, Solid Rock, No Stone Unturned, etc.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 28, 2021 22:00

dmay
More Hot Rocks asks above, "What about me"? Well, here you, go, Quicksilver has your answer. Some of my fave groove/drivin' songs.

What About Me

[www.youtube.com]

Fresh Air (play this one loud)

[www.youtube.com]

Thank you dmay!

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 29, 2021 15:17

dmay
Re "Hot Rocks", a nice compliation of Stones tracks, which, like many, I bought, but I came to prefer "Rolled Gold" as a sampler/hits collections. Played RG many times back in the day, loud, and my hearing paid the price.

Yes indeed, Rolled Gold is SUPERB. Definitely the pick of the 1960s Stones material. And the CD release adds an additional 12 tracks to the original 28, giving a total of 40 tracks of prime Decca/ABKCO-era vintage Stones.

In terms of a compilation album, what could be better? I have suggested to a few casual Stones fans who only want the big hits/warhorse-kinda material that Rolled Gold and Honk taken together should meet their needs.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 29, 2021 15:33

[www.billboard.com]

A trio of Record Store Day releases round out the new top 10 on Top Album Sales. Amy Winehouse’s Remixes debuts at No. 8 with 8,000; The Rolling Stones’ Hot Rocks 1964-1971 re-enters at No. 9 with nearly 8,000 (up 1,482%) and Miles Davis’ Champions: Rare Miles From the Complete Jack Johnson Sessions debuts at No. 10 (7,500).

For Record Store Day 2021’s second drop, the Stones’ Hot Rocks 1964-1971 was issued as a double-LP on yellow vinyl with expanded original artwork.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 29, 2021 22:55

yellow vinyl with expanded original artwork ......

So the cover arts twice the size as normal .... or what

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 29, 2021 23:16

The first thing I had at 11 years old was Hot Rocks on a tape. The sequencing burned deep into my memory, I always feel that when listening to the tracks even today where I expect 19th Nervous Breakdown when Mothers Little Helper ends and then Paint It Black and so on

Date: July 29, 2021 23:22

Hey yeah .... I know that feeling ...
the ghost of the track starts playin in ya head .... freaky aint it

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: July 30, 2021 15:03

I never owned it, never boujght it, and never listened to it.

And that is pretty much my opinion of it.

Date: July 30, 2021 15:08

ya shoulda pinched a copy and had a listen ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 30, 2021 16:22

I think they mean the sequence shots on one of the lithos is “expanded” on this edition. The other litho with the well known shot is quite nice actually. The vinyl too is much nicer than I expected. Still not sure it’s worth 65 euros though.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 30, 2021 16:59

Chacho

Thank you for weighing in, a review with so much gravitas.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 30, 2021 19:12

I was so unsophisticated when it came out, (Of course I had everything they ever released through Decades, Greatest Hits or not.
Not all of the latter ones.
Mostly Hot Rocks and HIGH Tides.
I had hard Knox and Durty socks too...
With Hot Rocks which is for casual fans lol like meh who figured
Well 20 or so ABSOLUTELY classic brilliant Unique Incredible Hits in a Row was Hot enough

But I want to and will hopefully find easy comparable tracklists with all these earlier packages and why people prefer One or the other.
Is it sequencing or are their missing absolute essentials missed on Hot Rocks all things considered.
I'm an intense fan but I just gott the Yank versions. London Records not Decca in USA.
And I guess those imprinted on me.
I totally loved HIGH Tides and those good stock paper pictures were definitely awesome.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 30, 2021 19:17

Actually, I feel very proud of them.
THIS is a great thing.
It makes old Boogaloo Master
happy to know
That the Funky weird rocking kids in the future,. some of them,
will intuitively understand how unique and intense this group is on so many levels...

... as artists in that crazy wicked World where among Every other really good fun bands, even really important ones,
that these guys were these guys,
And beyond the hype. MJ is Expert at that and makes that fun too..
plus a
Solid Dad. I just love These guys.

It's good The Rolling Stones are on the Charts.
That's a good thing culturally IMO
I don't care about cash.
They don't cut me in.

Nobody is going to seriously debate a single Off of Hot Rocks I bet.
Maybe just prefer a switch? Something More appropriate missing from HR?
I mean every single there is brilliant and engaging and powerful.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-30 19:23 by hopkins.

Date: July 30, 2021 19:29

There's just one song glaringly missing from Hot Rocks in my opinion and that would be The Last Time

Date: July 30, 2021 20:12

Nikkei
There's just one song glaringly missing from Hot Rocks in my opinion and that would be The Last Time

Agreed, though She's A Rainbow should also be in there. If only vinyl had more room!

Date: July 30, 2021 20:29

treaclefingers
Nikkei

Agreed, though She's A Rainbow should also be in there. If only vinyl had more room!

I could maybe do without As Tears Go By

Date: July 30, 2021 20:51

Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei

Bite your tongue.

Actually, was also thinking that Little Red Rooster and Not Fade Away are glaringly not on. Maybe that's because it was a US release and those songs weren't that big in the US? Tell Me is another one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-30 21:42 by treaclefingers.

Date: July 30, 2021 21:50

treaclefingers
Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei

Bite your tongue.

Actually, was also thinking that Little Red Rooster and Not Fade Away are glaringly not on. Maybe that's because it was a US release and those songs weren't that big in the US? Tell Me is another one.

Nah, those would make it incoherent

Date: July 30, 2021 21:58

Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei

Bite your tongue.

oh yeah...you're incoherent right now!

Date: July 30, 2021 22:08

treaclefingers
Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei

Bite your tongue.

I'll declare myself a very stable genius since nobody else says that

Date: July 30, 2021 22:17

Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei

Bite your tongue.

I will definitely give you the stable moniker. You're a rock, even since the Drake days.

Date: July 30, 2021 22:30

treaclefingers
Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei

Bite your tongue.

I will definitely give you the stable moniker. You're a rock, even since the Drake days.

Hey it's great to hear that coming from you since you've been a reliable presence here long before I ever became involved. It was disappointing to find out that Drake had shut down EOMS, but I guess it was a good run. It was great fun most of the time and I learned a thing or two. I wonder what some of the folks are up to these days...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 30, 2021 22:58

Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei

I'm sure ABKCO withheld some songs since they probably had More Hot Rocks ready to release too.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 30, 2021 23:36

Chacho

Sorry you're not a Stones fan. All of us had such great memories listening to it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 31, 2021 04:30

Chacho

Why are you even here?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 31, 2021 05:26

Got my yellow RSD copy yesterday. The vinyl is see through. Couple of “lithographs” included and a red removable band on the spine. Sorry of a fake Obi Strip! I like it. Great set. First vinyl I’ve ever had of this one!

Rod

Date: July 31, 2021 05:33

bitusa2012
Got my yellow RSD copy yesterday. The vinyl is see through. Couple of “lithographs” included and a red removable band on the spine. Sorry of a fake Obi Strip! I like it. Great set. First vinyl I’ve ever had of this one!

Nice! Missed it on RSD day, was travelling. Thinking about getting it on EBAY but at about $100 Canadian, seems a bit rich for 2 yellow slabs of vinyl.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: July 31, 2021 06:19

24FPS
Chacho

Sorry you're not a Stones fan. All of us had such great memories listening to it.

Your opinion of what I am is b_llsh_t.

Just counted my Stones albums and it came to 49, all of them different, no repeats.

Having "hot rocks" would be a very big repeat.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-31 06:23 by Chacho.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 31, 2021 06:41

That was my opinion at the time too: I have all this already so don't really need it. I always did look for the early version of it with the alt takes of oh I don't recall, Wild Horses and You Got The Silver or something. Had the matrix number on a piece of paper in my pocket.

Had and loved High Tides and Green Grass, even though duplicated what I had.

Take that back, I once bought the MFSL version of Hot Rocks Vol 1 but that was some years later.

jb

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1350
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home