Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Hot Rocks Lives On
Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 27, 2021 15:23

Great to see that The Stones have an album on the Billboard 200 this week. Yes, good old Hot Rocks has re-entered yet again, this time at the unexpectedly high placing of No.33.

So while those of us who have followed the band's career in great detail for many many years, and write authoritatively about obscure rarities, unusual b-sides, special Japanese pressings, and 'unofficial' recordings known only to a very select few, the average punter wants the big hits, the well known tracks, and those numbers found on endless rotation on mainstream rock stations.

Hot Rocks is now closing in on an aggregate total of seven years on the Billboard 200 since its first release in December 1971. It has never reached No.1. Its highest position was No.4. However it is, by some distance, The Stones biggest selling album ever, and the good people at ABKCO must be very very happy indeed they retain the rights to this material. And of course, of its 21 tracks, several (JJF, Satisfaction, BS, YCAGWYW, Sympathy, Gimme Shelter, HTW, SFM, Paint It Black, Lets Spend The Night Together) feature almost always, or with great frequency, on pretty much every setlist. And I guess while that is the case, there is little incentive for the band to change things around very much. Give the people - or at least most of the people - what they want.

But I still wish they would freshen things up rather more than they do, I long for a concert where there is something like a 50-50 split between warhorses and comparatively rare material. Say 10 of each .

But I doubt it will ever happen. Sadly!

Re: Hot Rocks Lives On
Date: July 27, 2021 15:32

It's odd. I no longer own Hot Rocks. If I did, I would not play it. Yet reading your post, I am reminded that when I did buy it more than 40 years ago I thought it was the most amazing collection of music ever. I still won't play it. But it is still true - It is the most amazing of music ever.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 27, 2021 15:56

HopeYouGuessMyName
It's odd. I no longer own Hot Rocks. If I did, I would not play it. Yet reading your post, I am reminded that when I did buy it more than 40 years ago I thought it was the most amazing collection of music ever. I still won't play it. But it is still true - It is the most amazing of music ever.

Yes indeed. I quite understand and feel very similarly. Where I live the greatest hits album of choice was High Tide & Green Grass. The UK version of it. Like you with hot rocks I loved the album on its release. But it has little attraction now

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 27, 2021 16:54

This was my second Stones album, after Emotional Rescue.

My head exploded, track after track.

I didn't know there could be better songs than "She's So Cold". ha ha!

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: July 27, 2021 17:33

Hot Rocks has a special place in my heart. I lived in a house when I was younger with several roomates, we'd get high and put on an old thrift store copy of Hot Rocks. It was a worn LP but just sounds that came out of it! the raw surface noise, the beautiful melodies, it all takes me back to a special time in my life.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 27, 2021 17:40

The album also ranks at #9 on this week's Billboard Top Selling Albums with almost 6,000 copies sold thanks to the Record Store release.

[www.billboard.com]

Including streaming points the album reaches 15,000 sales/points, enough for a re entry on this week's Billboard 200 at #33.

[www.billboard.com]

It's the album best position on The Billboard 200 since August 2013 when a sale on iTunes landed the album at #18 on the main chart.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 27, 2021 19:41

I'm assuming the tour announcement is what caused the uptick in sales? Georgelicks, what is your guesstimate as to how many Hot Rocks has sold now in the US? I believe it's certified at 12 million sold (6 mil x 2 as double album)?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 27, 2021 19:55

Re "Hot Rocks", a nice compliation of Stones tracks, which, like many, I bought, but I came to prefer "Rolled Gold" as a sampler/hits collections. Played RG many times back in the day, loud, and my hearing paid the price.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 27, 2021 20:00

I remember the summer of '72, in a record store was a waist high stack of Exile albums on sale, next to a stack of Hot Rocks. Both double albums. I don't have a copy of Hot Rocks either. It's not important, I have all the hits on various SACDs that ABKCO released in 2002, plus 40 Licks. I spend more time listening to the followup More Hot Rocks (Big Hits and Fazed Cookies). Was that a U.S. only release? I know it had some cuts on it that were never released in the U.S. at that time.

But Hot Rocks was a great way for me to catch up on their earlier hits. The tour, the radio airplay of 'old' Stones songs as I drove across country that summer. 1972, at least in the States, has to be the peak for the band.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 27, 2021 20:15

DGA35
I'm assuming the tour announcement is what caused the uptick in sales? Georgelicks, what is your guesstimate as to how many Hot Rocks has sold now in the US? I believe it's certified at 12 million sold (6 mil x 2 as double album)?

It was last certified in October 2002 at 12x Platinum, including streaming points it should be at 17-18x Platinum by now at least.

Date: July 27, 2021 22:23

georgelicks
DGA35

It was last certified in October 2002 at 12x Platinum, including streaming points it should be at 17-18x Platinum by now at least.

Thanks Georgelicks, what would be the reason the band/record company wouldn't want to get their catalog recertified? I would think just for bragging rights to see their albums rise up in the biggest seller list. Stones would rise up a few notches over other bands. I've always wondered this about Van Halen also. I'm sure a few of their albums, especially VH1 and 1984 could be recertified, both are at 10 million sold.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 28, 2021 01:07

What about me?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 28, 2021 01:36

24FPS
I remember the summer of '72, in a record store was a waist high stack of Exile albums on sale, next to a stack of Hot Rocks. Both double albums. I don't have a copy of Hot Rocks either. It's not important, I have all the hits on various SACDs that ABKCO released in 2002, plus 40 Licks. I spend more time listening to the followup More Hot Rocks (Big Hits and Fazed Cookies). Was that a U.S. only release? I know it had some cuts on it that were never released in the U.S. at that time.

But Hot Rocks was a great way for me to catch up on their earlier hits. The tour, the radio airplay of 'old' Stones songs as I drove across country that summer. 1972, at least in the States, has to be the peak for the band.

Unsure about other territories outside of the U.S., but neither album saw a U.K. release until 1990.

Date: July 28, 2021 01:47

Big Al
24FPS

Unsure about other territories outside of the U.S., but neither album saw a U.K. release until 1990.

It was released in Canada back in 72

Date: July 28, 2021 01:50

More Hot Rocks
What about me?

and Fazed Cookies for that matter!

Date: July 28, 2021 03:48

treaclefingers
More Hot Rocks
What about me?

Surprised ABKCO hasn't released another double album called Even More Hot Rocks or even Warm Rocks.

Posted by: dropped ()
Date: July 28, 2021 07:18

GerardHennessy
HopeYouGuessMyName

Yes indeed. I quite understand and feel very similarly. Where I live the greatest hits album of choice was High Tide & Green Grass. The UK version of it. Like you with hot rocks I loved the album on its release. But it has little attraction now

Yes -this was the gateway drug to the Stones. After I wore it out I put all of my paper route money into snagging the original lps. Thanks

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 28, 2021 08:23

Yeah ..... High Tide & Green Grass.
But has ta be UK version ....

what a set that album is ....
what a collection of songs ....
Along with album cover and cool booklet ....
Brian's wide cord red trousers .... ACE cooooool

Even my beautiful mum would sing along ta all of 'em ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 28, 2021 09:19

DGA35
Big Al
24FPS

It was released in Canada back in 72

Yes, I figured it would’ve been. I should’ve stated North America, instead.

Date: July 28, 2021 09:23

DGA35
treaclefingers
More Hot Rocks
What about me?

Surprised ABKCO hasn't released another double album called Even More Hot Rocks or even Warm Rocks.

I thought they'd already left, 'No Stone Unturned".

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: July 28, 2021 10:01

In my opinion, this re-wamp could depend on the RSD re-issue, on 17 July.
True that they are not too many copies, but could be enough to move the charts and let some buy the 2CD edition, too.
That said, I always preferred 'Rolled Gold' to 'Hot Rocks': no Brown Sugar, no Wild Horses but still the best ever compilation for the DECCA/London years.
Bye, Luca

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 28, 2021 10:25

Bye ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 28, 2021 17:44

More Hot Rocks asks above, "What about me"? Well, here you, go, Quicksilver has your answer. Some of my fave groove/drivin' songs.

What About Me

[www.youtube.com]

Fresh Air (play this one loud)

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 28, 2021 19:18

1963luca0
True that they are not too many copies, but could be enough to move the charts and let some buy the 2CD edition, too.
That said, I always preferred 'Rolled Gold' to 'Hot Rocks': no Brown Sugar, no Wild Horses but still the best ever compilation for the DECCA/London years.
Bye, Luca

When they reissued Rolled Gold on cd in 2007 as Rolled Gold + They added all of the tracks from Hot Rocks which were not already on Rolled Gold and some from More Hot Rocks as well. This is now the best compilation from the Abkco Years.

Here is a list of tracks added to Rolled Gold +

"Tell Me"
"Heart of Stone"
"Play with Fire"
"I'm Free"
"Mother's Little Helper"
"Dandelion"
"2000 Light Years from Home"
"No Expectations"
"Let It Bleed"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"Brown Sugar"
"Wild Horses"

Rolled Gold also contains some tracks not included on Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks such as Little Red Roster and I Wanna Be Your Man along with Carol and Yesterday's Papers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-28 19:21 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 28, 2021 19:37

dmay
More Hot Rocks asks above, "What about me"? Well, here you, go, Quicksilver has your answer. Some of my fave groove/drivin' songs.

What About Me

[www.youtube.com]

Fresh Air (play this one loud)

[www.youtube.com]
I remember those also

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-28 19:38 by Cooltoplady.

Date: July 28, 2021 19:44

boogaloojef
1963luca0
Bye, Luca

When they reissued Rolled Gold on cd in 2007 as Rolled Gold + They added all of the tracks from Hot Rocks which were not already on Rolled Gold and some from More Hot Rocks as well. This is now the best compilation from the Abkco Years.

"Tell Me"
"Heart of Stone"
"Play with Fire"
"I'm Free"
"Mother's Little Helper"
"Dandelion"
"No Expectations"
"Let It Bleed"
"Brown Sugar"
"Wild Horses"

Rolled Gold also contains some tracks not included on Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks such as Little Red Roster and I Wanna Be Your Man along with Carol and Yesterday's Papers.

Those tracks (+ others) are on Rolled Gold vol. 2, btw.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 28, 2021 20:03

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
1963luca0
Bye, Luca

"Tell Me"
"Heart of Stone"
"Play with Fire"
"I'm Free"
"Mother's Little Helper"
"Dandelion"
"No Expectations"
"Let It Bleed"
"Brown Sugar"
"Wild Horses"

Yes some of them are on Rolled Gold Vol. 2 However, I don't think Rolled Gold Vol.2 was ever released on cd and does not contain Brown Sugar and Wild Horses.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-28 20:54 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 28, 2021 20:35

boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
1963luca0
Bye, Luca

"Tell Me"
"Heart of Stone"
"Play with Fire"
"I'm Free"
"Mother's Little Helper"
"Dandelion"
"No Expectations"
"Let It Bleed"
"Brown Sugar"
"Wild Horses"

Yes some of them are on Rolled Gold Vol. 2

That's right. Vol. 2.

Date: July 28, 2021 20:59

boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
1963luca0
Bye, Luca

"Tell Me"
"Heart of Stone"
"Play with Fire"
"I'm Free"
"Mother's Little Helper"
"Dandelion"
"No Expectations"
"Let It Bleed"
"Brown Sugar"
"Wild Horses"

Yes some of them are on Rolled Gold Vol. 2 However, I don't think Vol.2 was ever released on cd and does not contain Brown Sugar and Wild Horses.

That's correct. Let It Bleed and Little Queenie were added instead.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 28, 2021 21:08

The Let It Bleed CD from ABKO was the first stones "record" I bought, which I played the hell out of. Then Hot Rocks was the next one I bought and listened to over and over again. It's hard to explain just how special of a greatest hits collection it is. They don't make 'em like that any more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-28 21:10 by ryanpow.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2050
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home