Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13
Re: Los Angeles, CA USA 2021 - Stones travel and show info
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 8, 2021 23:13

Not saying I am going to snag one of these large posters going up outside Sofi, and I'm not saying I'm not winking smiley

SoFi Stadium
@SoFiStadium
The countdown starts! A week from today, the
@RollingStones hit our town. What’s your favorite Stones song?
[twitter.com]

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: October 9, 2021 01:07

DEmerson
The Pink Floyd Exhibit is in Hollywood and worth seeing.

I’ll (again) second the Pink Floyd exhibit for those of you going to the LA shows. At the Vogue on Hollywood Blvd. I went a couple weeks ago and it’s really cool! You can buy timed Tix in advance. Plan to spend at least an hour and a half. A must see if you’re a Floyd fan and in town.
And, up the road a 10-15 minute walk is Amoeba records - maybe the best music/movie store in the country.[/quote]

How is the new location for Amoeba? I visited in 2019 before the move and was in heaven for hours... had to locate my 2 buddies via GPS as we all split in different directions upon arrival!! Haha!

Posted by: Gfmsoccer ()
Date: October 11, 2021 10:04

I have 2 extra seats, next to mine, in 418 for Sunday show. Great seat, row 3, great view of everything. $235 total each. I can transfer to you on Ticketmaster

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-12 00:08 by Gfmsoccer.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 12, 2021 00:06

Getting excited for these shows!!
Leaving early Wednesday morning.. looking forward to spending several days in LA.

One nice thing about staying near the airport is the close proximity to public transit, and of course the venue.
Downloaded both the Big Blue Bus app and the local metro's. There are stops for both essentially right outside my hotel, and there is also a transit center at the airport. Local busses are currently free due to covid, and the BBB is $1. Plan on spending a lot of free time in Santa Monica and Venice, both very easy to get to with the BBB.

Also taking a quick train down to Irvine to see Willie's Outlaw Festival on Saturday..
Two Stones shows, two Lucinda Williams sets/shows in one trip.. couldn't have scripted it better!

So nice to not have to drive in LA.. always a pain. smileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 12, 2021 00:09

Tons of tickets left for the 14th. I guess there won't be any more Lucky Dips.

Date: October 12, 2021 00:10

So their plane flies into Burbank today. Where are they staying in LA for a week? Doesn’t Mick usually rent a house? I’m sure they’ll be out doing things.

Date: October 12, 2021 01:18

I got to LA late yesterday. Work meetings all day today and tomorrow. Nashville was the most energized show so far hopefully they'll keep the pedal the the metal.

Still waiting for Neighbors to make into the rotation. Mick said in the interview it is coming soon.

Or maybe we'll finally get Waiting on a Friend for the song vote. I think it's been a while since they did this on.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 12, 2021 01:51

It was 40 years ago today that I was in between my first and second Stones concerts which took place at the L.A. Coliseum Oct. 9 and 11, 1981. And now 40 years later, can't help but reminisce a bit.
There's been many shows in between - from here to Stockholm - in clubs, theaters, arenas and stadiums in many different cities and countries around the world, and have met many fine people along the way.
Now looking forward to my 63rd (and possibly 64th) show in he same city where I first saw them as a 17 year old high school student all those years ago...

They were larger than life back then....

(photo credits L.A. Times)

And still are larger than life to this day...ROCK AND ROLL GIANTS...thumbs up

It's incredible that 40 years later (almost on the same days) I'll be seeing the Stones again...
Lots has changed since both for them and myself, but the thrill leading up to a Stones show will always be there...

Setlist for October 11th 1981
Under My Thumb
When the Whip Comes Down
Let's Spend the Night Together
Shattered
Neighbours
Black Limousine
Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
Twenty Flight Rock
Let Me Go
Time Is on My Side
Beast of Burden
Waiting on a Friend
Let It Bleed
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Little T&A
Tumbling Dice
She's So Cold
All Down the Line
Hang Fire
Star Star
Miss You
Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Women
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

> Keep on Rolling................

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-12 02:07 by Hairball.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 12, 2021 02:29

TKinOH
DEmerson
The Pink Floyd Exhibit is in Hollywood and worth seeing.

I’ll (again) second the Pink Floyd exhibit for those of you going to the LA shows. At the Vogue on Hollywood Blvd. I went a couple weeks ago and it’s really cool! You can buy timed Tix in advance. Plan to spend at least an hour and a half. A must see if you’re a Floyd fan and in town.
And, up the road a 10-15 minute walk is Amoeba records - maybe the best music/movie store in the country.

How is the new location for Amoeba? I visited in 2019 before the move and was in heaven for hours... had to locate my 2 buddies via GPS as we all split in different directions upon arrival!! Haha![/quote

Hi TKinOH - I never got to the old Amoeba so I can’t compare, but I still thought it was amazing. Picked up the 4 CD Monterey Pop box that I had been looking for, for ‘only’ $30 (usually fetches quite a bit more) so I was happy. Great store!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 12, 2021 02:34

These are excellent shots Hairball and give a real snapshot of the olden days. Thrilled that they’re still going in some form today, despite the surviving 3 being 40 years older. It was a much more stripped down operation in those days with only a piano, keyboard and saxophone player supplementing the core 5.

Also, every ticket was effectively a lucky dip back in those days with the spot you got determined by how early you were willing to turn up. Gigging really was a totally different experience back in those days. Whole floor GA with no sectors could be scary at times.

Date: October 12, 2021 03:08

grzegorz67
These are excellent shots Hairball and give a real snapshot of the olden days. Thrilled that they’re still going in some form today, despite the surviving 3 being 40 years older. It was a much more stripped down operation in those days with only a piano, keyboard and saxophone player supplementing the core 5.

Also, every ticket was effectively a lucky dip back in those days with the spot you got determined by how early you were willing to turn up. Gigging really was a totally different experience back in those days. Whole floor GA with no sectors could be scary at times.

On the first day October 9th, it was my older brother and his then girlfriend who brought my older sister and I - we played it safe and sat in the stands about 1/3rd of the way back and 30 rows up - a perfect perspective.
Saw Prince getting booed off w/an assortment of debris being thrown at the stage, and right as the Stones were announced a hailstorm of half empty beer cups and hot dogs, etc, being thrown everywhere ...chaos...

The second day was quite different however...it was just my brother and I, and he made sure we arrived early to get a decent spot on the field. It was a long day with lots of repositioning while inching our way forwards. Ultimately the closest we made it to the stage was about 30 people back, but being that close while packed like sardines was the thrill of a lifetime...I remember the waves of people being involuntarily swept off their feet.
It was 40 years ago....seems like a lifetime ago, while at the same time seems like it was just yesterday...all those years ago...

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 12, 2021 03:18

How much setlist variation will there be between LA #1 and #2? Four songs? Five? Less than that, given there's no B-stage set?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-12 03:18 by Topi.

Date: October 12, 2021 03:22

24FPS

I really don't see the financial point of view in releasing more of the absolute cheapest ticket category if your show is not selling well.

You'll take home more money (and more fees) by selling just one $100 ticket than a pair of LDs.

What matters (for the promoter) is the total gate receipts/avg ticket price, not so much how many warm bodies there are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-12 03:23 by Topi.

Date: October 12, 2021 03:28

Via weather.com - there might be a single cloud in the sky on Sunday. smiling smiley

From a locals perspective have to say, those night temps can feel a little cool...bundle up...Fall is here!

Date: October 12, 2021 03:35

Bundling up, does that mean a hoodie and a pair of shorts? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-12 03:35 by Topi.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: October 12, 2021 03:58

thumbs up

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 12, 2021 05:20

Hairball
grzegorz67

On the first day October 9th, it was my older brother and his then girlfriend who brought my older sister and I - we played it safe and sat in the stands about 1/3rd of the way back and 30 rows up - a perfect perspective.
Saw Prince getting booed off w/an assortment of debris being thrown at the stage, and right as the Stones were announced a hailstorm of half empty beer cups and hot dogs, etc, being thrown everywhere ...chaos...

The second day was quite different however...it was just my brother and I, and he made sure we arrived early to get a decent spot on the field. It was a long day with lots of repositioning while inching our way forwards. Ultimately the closest we made it to the stage was about 30 people back, but being that close while packed like sardines was the thrill of a lifetime...I remember the waves of people being involuntarily swept off their feet.
It was 40 years ago....seems like a lifetime ago, while at the same time seems like it was just yesterday...all those years ago...

Thanks for mentioning; Detroit, stage curtain caught on fire. Can't remember which show.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: October 12, 2021 05:54

Topi
How much setlist variation will there be between LA #1 and #2? Four songs? Five? Less than that, given there's no B-stage set?

4 and I'll go as far as to say

1 Night (pick your date) will include

19th Nervous Breakdown
Trouble's a Coming
Song Vote

2 Night (pick your date, I'll predict the Oct 14 show since lower sales) will include

It's Only Rock N Roll
Under My Thumb
Rocks Off
Song Vote

Actually, I’ll say six different songs cause Keith may play a different set between the two nights.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-12 06:39 by Dougratajczak87.

Posted by: rlj1010 ()
Date: October 12, 2021 05:58

Topi
24FPS

I really don't see the financial point of view in releasing more of the absolute cheapest ticket category if your show is not selling well.

You'll take home more money (and more fees) by selling just one $100 ticket than a pair of LDs.

What matters (for the promoter) is the total gate receipts/avg ticket price, not so much how many warm bodies there are.

Gate receipts aren't everything. The more warm bodies they can fill in the venue with cheaper tickets, the more official concert merch they can sell, the more food and beverage revenue they can share with the stadium, etc, etc, etc.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 12, 2021 06:30

On the set list, do you suppose they will do "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" any time this tour?

Hoping for a few surprises for 10/17.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: October 12, 2021 06:35

rlj1010
Topi
24FPS

Gate receipts aren't everything. The more warm bodies they can fill in the venue with cheaper tickets, the more official concert merch they can sell, the more food and beverage revenue they can share with the stadium, etc, etc, etc.

That's a fair point. But I still don't remember a show in the US that dropped more Lucky Dips after the first on-sale date. I could be wrong of course. In Europe, LD drops have happened a couple of times.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: October 12, 2021 06:45

angee
On the set list, do you suppose they will do "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" any time this tour?

Hoping for a few surprises for 10/17.

No I don’t think we’ll see much incremental non ballads.

I suspect based on Nashville sound check that the Stones break out Rocks Off in LA for one of the nights. Beyond that, I’d imagine some mix of the usual suspects changing between nights (maybe 3-4 for main set and 5-6 if you include Keith’s set.

I definitely think the two nights in LA will see the most variety of the tour if only because of being based on two nights.

That being said, for this tour (with Steve being new and still gelling with the band) they seem to have a core set list and only really deviate from it occasionally in a couple of spots with the ballad song vote being the nightly rotating song.

Date: October 12, 2021 11:10

I remember when they did Knocking at the soundcheck in San Diego. I don’t think they did it in the show.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 12, 2021 11:13

Rolling Stones Arrival in Burbank

[www.foxla.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 12, 2021 11:22

Lien
Rolling Stones Arrival in Burbank

[www.foxla.com]

"One of the world's biggest bands is playing at SoFi Stadium"

They are THE the world's biggest band ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-12 11:22 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 12, 2021 12:26

Lien

[www.foxla.com]

Above Video-link is "Awaiting Rolling Stones' arrival in Burbank".

"Rolling Stones arrive in Burbank ahead of SoFi Stadium tour stop" - Video: [www.foxla.com] .

RS arrival in Burbank, 11-Oct-2021 (Screenshot).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-12 14:00 by Irix.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 12, 2021 14:21

Hairball
It was 40 years ago today that I was in between my first and second Stones concerts which took place at the L.A. Coliseum Oct. 9 and 11, 1981. And now 40 years later, can't help but reminisce a bit.
There's been many shows in between - from here to Stockholm - in clubs, theaters, arenas and stadiums in many different cities and countries around the world, and have met many fine people along the way.
Now looking forward to my 63rd (and possibly 64th) show in he same city where I first saw them as a 17 year old high school student all those years ago...

They were larger than life back then....

(photo credits L.A. Times)

And still are larger than life to this day...ROCK AND ROLL GIANTS...thumbs up

It's incredible that 40 years later (almost on the same days) I'll be seeing the Stones again...
Lots has changed since both for them and myself, but the thrill leading up to a Stones show will always be there...

Setlist for October 11th 1981
Under My Thumb
When the Whip Comes Down
Shattered
Neighbours
Black Limousine
Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
Twenty Flight Rock
Let Me Go
Time Is on My Side
Beast of Burden
Waiting on a Friend
Let It Bleed
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Little T&A
Tumbling Dice
She's So Cold
All Down the Line
Hang Fire
Star Star
Miss You
Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Women
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

> Keep on Rolling................

Nice post and reminiscence. You won’t be able to complain about the set list… only 6-7 of the ones above likely to be played this time round!!! :-)

Rod

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 12, 2021 14:44

Great photographs.

Nate

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 12, 2021 15:24

Burbank Airport, October 11:

AP Photo/Chris Pizzello

AP Photo/Chris Pizzello