Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13
Re: Los Angeles, CA USA 2021 - Stones travel and show info
Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: September 30, 2021 19:24

They aren’t going to cancel a show they added a few weeks ago.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 30, 2021 20:36

Stonesfan2146
So I was just wondering, if there are any locals on here, can you get around the city well with those buses I read about?

There is supposedly a line running from the beaches to downtown which looks like it would be a great way to travel around if you don't have a car.

The newish Expo metro line runs between Santa Monica and Downtown - takes about 75 mins. To get to Santa Monica (and Venice) from your hotel, you'd probably take the No. 3 blue bus.

And from downtown to Hollywood, you could take the Red line metro. At some point, you'll likely need to bite the bullet and grab an Uber.

Public transport is doable, but not much fun or efficient for short-stay visitors. How long you in town for, and what would your sightseeing priorities be? Downtown used to be rocking into the wee hours pre-Covid. I'm not sure what the situation is now.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: September 30, 2021 21:05

Thank you so much Dean. Sadly we can only stay in town for the day after the concert and will then be heading back to NYC, as I'm a student and very happy I could afford this trip at all smiling smiley. I'll definitely have to come back another time with more money and time.
But on that day we want to go to one of the beaches, is there one you'd prefer for a visit? And in the early evening around sunset we hope we can make it into downtown. I did check Uber rides and they were kinda expensive, so maybe we should try public transport? And if there's anything you say we just have to see, I'm always open to change plans up.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 30, 2021 21:36

Having been born and raised in Santa Monica, I might be a bit biased on this, but.........go to the beach in Santa Monica, and stay in Santa Monica through the evening....lots happening there.
While downtown can be happening - especially when there's concerts, sports, etc. taking place, Santa Monica is generally way more welcoming, much more user friendly, much more scenic, and an all around much better place...
And if you really plan on walking from a hotel near the airport to SoFi Stadium (in Inglewood), be extra cautious - in fact I warn against doing it at all...SoFi stadium, Inglewood, and the surrounding area is definitely not the safest place in the world.

Date: September 30, 2021 21:48

Stonesfan2146
Thank you so much Dean. Sadly we can only stay in town for the day after the concert and will then be heading back to NYC, as I'm a student and very happy I could afford this trip at all smiling smiley. I'll definitely have to come back another time with more money and time.
But on that day we want to go to one of the beaches, is there one you'd prefer for a visit? And in the early evening around sunset we hope we can make it into downtown. I did check Uber rides and they were kinda expensive, so maybe we should try public transport? And if there's anything you say we just have to see, I'm always open to change plans up.

I'm not sure there's much downtown that will impress a New Yorker, and you'll get a more romantic sunset at the beach than at downtown. Yes, there's some serious sticker shock with Uber, so I personally would take public transport as much as possible, as I just did in STL.

For one day, though, I'd just rent a bike at one of the several places on Venice Beach (don't pay more than $30 each) and do all the beaches, Redondo up to the Getty Villa at Malibu (free entry, reservation required) - and you can stop in at Venice (the canals, Abbot Kinney Blvd, e.g.), Santa Monica, etc. along the way.

Date: September 30, 2021 22:36

Thank you Hairball, and Dean once again.
I think that sounds like downtown would just be way too long of a ride for what we'd get.
Biking along the beaches and Abbot Kinney Boulevard will probably also be the perfect replacement for going downtown for my girlfriend.

Santa Monica definitely seems to deserve at least a stop, if we end up starting in Venice, a nice day would likely be biking up to the Getty villa, I just looked that up and that seems to be an amazing museum to see, and pretty rare these are free. And maybe later on biking to Santa Monica for the sunset.

If you say it's not really safe walking to the stadium, I'm really considering taking an Uber there. Thank you so much! If one of you or both doing the concert maybe we can just say hi before.

Oh and actually I'm flying in from Germany, my girlfriend is currently working in NYC, I will stay for 5 or 6 weeks but not a New Yorker yet grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-30 22:47 by Stonesfan2146.

Date: September 30, 2021 23:39

Stonesfan2146

If you say it's not really safe walking to the stadium, I'm really considering taking an Uber there.

The 117 bus that goes along Century Blvd will be fine, assuming you're staying somewhere close to Century Blvd. You can see it on Google Maps. Trying to get an Uber afterwards will be a lo$t cause.

I'm also partial to the Venice/Santa Monica area, but am wary of overselling it given the homelessness and trash - which is an issue throughout L.A.

Posted by: jmd ()
Date: September 30, 2021 23:49

Stonesfan2146
I think that sounds like downtown would just be way too long of a ride for what we'd get.
Biking along the beaches and Abbot Kinney Boulevard will probably also be the perfect replacement for going downtown for my girlfriend.

Santa Monica definitely seems to deserve at least a stop, if we end up starting in Venice, a nice day would likely be biking up to the Getty villa, I just looked that up and that seems to be an amazing museum to see, and pretty rare these are free. And maybe later on biking to Santa Monica for the sunset.

If you say it's not really safe walking to the stadium, I'm really considering taking an Uber there. Thank you so much! If one of you or both doing the concert maybe we can just say hi before.

Oh and actually I'm flying in from Germany, my girlfriend is currently working in NYC, I will stay for 5 or 6 weeks but not a New Yorker yet grinning smiley

Another LA resident here. Not sure where you are staying near LAX, but it is possible to get from an LAX hotel on Century to Sofi via LA Metro Line 117. Not sure of the schedule, but assume it runs 3-4 times an hour. Probably takes 10-15 minutes from LAX. Exit the bus at either Century/Prairie or Century/Doty; the Doty stop may be best. Sofi is North of Century.

(FYI, I’ve read some anecdotes on Rams boards that Ubers can be a pain from Sofi after events…lots of reports of surge pricing and cancelled rides, so it may pay to have a backup plan.)

Lots of good ideas here for things to do. The area around Manhattan Beach Pier is also good to check out. Have a great trip!

Date: October 1, 2021 00:36

I just did check on Google maps and the 117 actually works perfectly as we are only 3 blocks away from Century Blvd., thanks so much! Regarding the homeless people and it being a little more dirty, don't worry, we have places in Hamburg that fit in that category pretty well too.

Hey jmd, the idea we got is to try and get an Uber from somewhere around the stadium, maybe a McDonalds or something alike, but not directly at it so we may be able to get around that after-concert rush. Just searched for the Manhattan Beach Pier on Google and oh wow that looks like something so cool to do too, wow one day really is way too short for LA and we will definetely end up having a tight schedule but I wanna make as much out of that day as possible. Thank you all so much!

Actually doing this little bit of chatting really got me in the mood to travel and explore that city while having the Stones in town as an extra too, just am listening to some good old tracks while planning all this and smiling about the fact I just noticed that You Can't Always get is longer than Midnight Rambler on the album.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 1, 2021 00:37

jmd
Stonesfan2146

Another LA resident here. Not sure where you are staying near LAX, but it is possible to get from an LAX hotel on Century to Sofi via LA Metro Line 117. Not sure of the schedule, but assume it runs 3-4 times an hour. Probably takes 10-15 minutes from LAX. Exit the bus at either Century/Prairie or Century/Doty; the Doty stop may be best. Sofi is North of Century.

(FYI, I’ve read some anecdotes on Rams boards that Ubers can be a pain from Sofi after events…lots of reports of surge pricing and cancelled rides, so it may pay to have a backup plan.)

Lots of good ideas here for things to do. The area around Manhattan Beach Pier is also good to check out. Have a great trip!

That's how I'm rolling.. Short 15 minute ride, then 13 minute walk through the parking lots. Run often.. going to both shows this way to and fro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-01 00:38 by MisterDDDD.

Date: October 1, 2021 00:45

Stonesfan2146
Just searched for the Manhattan Beach Pier on Google and oh wow that looks like something so cool to do too.

Of course there's a tenuous connection between the Rolling Stones and Manhattan Beach.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 1, 2021 01:05

DeanGoodman
Stonesfan2146

If you say it's not really safe walking to the stadium, I'm really considering taking an Uber there.

The 117 bus that goes along Century Blvd will be fine, assuming you're staying somewhere close to Century Blvd. You can see it on Google Maps. Trying to get an Uber afterwards will be a lo$t cause.

I'm also partial to the Venice/Santa Monica area, but am wary of overselling it given the homelessness and trash - which is an issue throughout L.A.

Line 212 which late night terminates/starts catty corner from the Vons on Manchester and goes up La Brea to Hollywood.

The Vons is open to 12, there are other concert goers taking the 212, the Vons or the restaurant parking lot across the street where the bus stop is might be a good spot to catch a rideshare.

Not even sure if I would walk down Century or take any alternate routes via bus.

I know I caught a totally different bus on Manchester & La Brea that zig zagged thru the hood after 12/31/18 Ozzfest but that was like 2am.

Also I think if they feel the stadium can't accommodate the 10/14 show it gets moved to a different venue. They need another show to replace Jazzfest or else the margins are really tightened and the Forum might work and draw in new customers who don't want to see them at the stadium.

Date: October 1, 2021 01:09

More floor seats just lit up for 10/14!

Date: October 1, 2021 01:20

Dan

Line 212 which late night terminates/starts catty corner from the Vons on Manchester and goes up La Brea to Hollywood.

I'm almost thinking of doing this - just 54 stops along the way. It actually takes you to Prairie & Kelso, which is pretty much on SoFi's doorstep.

Date: October 1, 2021 01:30

Stonesfan2146
I just did check on Google maps and the 117 actually works perfectly as we are only 3 blocks away from Century Blvd., thanks so much! Regarding the homeless people and it being a little more dirty, don't worry, we have places in Hamburg that fit in that category pretty well too.

Hey jmd, the idea we got is to try and get an Uber from somewhere around the stadium, maybe a McDonalds or something alike, but not directly at it so we may be able to get around that after-concert rush. Just searched for the Manhattan Beach Pier on Google and oh wow that looks like something so cool to do too, wow one day really is way too short for LA and we will definetely end up having a tight schedule but I wanna make as much out of that day as possible. Thank you all so much!

Actually doing this little bit of chatting really got me in the mood to travel and explore that city while having the Stones in town as an extra too, just am listening to some good old tracks while planning all this and smiling about the fact I just noticed that You Can't Always get is longer than Midnight Rambler on the album.

There’s an In-N-Out in the shopping center on Century east of Yukon that’s open until 1am. It may work for a pickup.

If Uber is $till $urging, according to Google maps there’s a bus stop there for #117 to get back to LAX hotels.

Date: October 1, 2021 02:44

DeanGoodman
Stonesfan2146
Just searched for the Manhattan Beach Pier on Google and oh wow that looks like something so cool to do too.

Of course there's a tenuous connection between the Rolling Stones and Manhattan Beach.

I never really got what the Manhattan beach tour name was about when it first went public. Was it really the title for the bigger bang album and got changed late in the game or just some working title that they randomly chose because they didn't have the name yet?

Date: October 1, 2021 02:50

Dan

The Vons is open to 12, there are other concert goers taking the 212, the Vons or the restaurant parking lot across the street where the bus stop is might be a good spot to catch a rideshare.

Not even sure if I would walk down Century or take any alternate routes via bus.

I know I caught a totally different bus on Manchester & La Brea that zig zagged thru the hood after 12/31/18 Ozzfest but that was like 2am.

Also I think if they feel the stadium can't accommodate the 10/14 show it gets moved to a different venue. They need another show to replace Jazzfest or else the margins are really tightened and the Forum might work and draw in new customers who don't want to see them at the stadium.

Thanks Dan, that seems like a good option. LA seems to be a more dangerous place to be at night than I thought when I made plans to walk the whole way. Is there anything particular to be aware of?

It would be so cool to see them at the Forum, they've played some quite historic shows there. But do they have a stage that fits?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-01 02:52 by Stonesfan2146.

Date: October 1, 2021 02:54

jmd
There’s an In-N-Out in the shopping center on Century east of Yukon that’s open until 1am. It may work for a pickup.

If Uber is $till $urging, according to Google maps there’s a bus stop there for #117 to get back to LAX hotels.

We will probably end up either taking that one or the 212. Uber is probably just too much.
I'll also keep that spot in mind, thanks! Also good to know there are some places close where you can get something to eat late night.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 1, 2021 03:17

Stonesfan2146
LA seems to be a more dangerous place to be at night than I thought when I made plans to walk the whole way. Is there anything particular to be aware of?

Keep in mind LA is massively spread out and filled with various nooks and crannies - just so happens the SoFi area (Inglewood) is in one of the more not-so-friendly crannies.
What to be aware of? Not to scare anyone as the stadium itself is fine (as is the legendary Forum), but outside of those properties in the general vicinity, lots of gangsta stuff in the area...

Date: October 1, 2021 03:24

Alright, yeah that's what really surprised me too, even in Manhattan you can walk around and pretty much get everywhere you'd want to go as a tourist but if you'd walk around LA Google maps gives me walking times of many hours.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: October 1, 2021 04:05

DeanGoodman
Dan

I'm almost thinking of doing this - just 54 stops along the way. It actually takes you to Prairie & Kelso, which is pretty much on SoFi's doorstep.

I'm considering this too, but it seems to run on Sundays at 11:04pm, 12:04am, and 1:04am (the last bus for several hours): [media.metro.net]

Might be a fight to get on, no?

Is there really no shuttle service offered?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 1, 2021 05:52

Are there any okay places to eat around the stadium area, say on W. Century Blvd?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: October 1, 2021 08:44

angee
Are there any okay places to eat around the stadium area, say on W. Century Blvd?

[la.eater.com]

Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles is really good after show grub.

Date: October 1, 2021 17:12

cyclist
DeanGoodman
Dan

I'm considering this too, but it seems to run on Sundays at 11:04pm, 12:04am, and 1:04am (the last bus for several hours): [media.metro.net]

The bus is not crowded (but I haven't been to Sofi yet) just some concert goers.

No idea on shuttle service.

Show will probably end at 11:00 so you there would be no rush to run over unless you leave early.

Date: October 1, 2021 17:57

Stonesfan2146

Thanks Dan, that seems like a good option. LA seems to be a more dangerous place to be at night than I thought when I made plans to walk the whole way. Is there anything particular to be aware of?

Just awareness of your surroundings and not being in the position of being an easy target for a crime of opportunity. Like I said, my walk from the Forum to the bus stop I am surrounded by concert goers, there are T shirt guys etc still on the street.

It would be so cool to see them at the Forum, they've played some quite historic shows there. But do they have a stage that fits?

Yes. Anything they have is scale-able. Platform, lighting rig, video screen and most arenas that book live music also have their own basics available.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: October 1, 2021 20:06

Thanks, Dan.

Date: October 1, 2021 23:11

cyclist
DeanGoodman
Dan

I look at the LA Metro Twitter feed every week or so. People have asked about shuttles for the Stones shows and their consistent reply is shuttles are only provided for NFL games at Sofi. Will advise if that changes but I don’t expect one.

I’m guessing either the NFL and/or City of Inglewood provides a subsidy for football, and there’s no funding for shuttles for other events.

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: October 1, 2021 23:41

I'm totally intrigued to see what they do with the show on the 14th. It is amazingly undersold. Outside of the center floor sections, it looks like about 10% of the tickets have been sold.

I guess they could cancel it, but I doubt it.

As great as it would be, I doubt they move it to the Forum.

They could make an offer to people holding tix for the 17th to upgrade for the 14th. (Doesn't solve the problem, but it does balance things out somewhat.)

They could give away huge blocks of seats, but then you get disinterested people which makes for a lousy audience.

They could re-open LDs, but I don't know if that would move the needle enough.

This show is less than two weeks away. It's going to be interesting to see how they handle this.

Any guesses?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 1, 2021 23:52

vibrolux
I'm totally intrigued to see what they do with the show on the 14th. It is amazingly undersold. Outside of the center floor sections, it looks like about 10% of the tickets have been sold.

I guess they could cancel it, but I doubt it.

As great as it would be, I doubt they move it to the Forum.

They could make an offer to people holding tix for the 17th to upgrade for the 14th. (Doesn't solve the problem, but it does balance things out somewhat.)

They could give away huge blocks of seats, but then you get disinterested people which makes for a lousy audience.

At this far out and even right up to showtime I believe, they had standard priced pit and ga floor tix available.

They could re-open LDs, but I don't know if that would move the needle enough.

This show is less than two weeks away. It's going to be interesting to see how they handle this.

Any guesses?

Standard priced pits are already gone as are most of the premium floor seats for the 14th. They standard pits were available right up to showtime in SL for comparison.
Just as everyone worried about the opener being half empty.. the place mostly filled up in the end.

Same will be the case here.. this tour is picking up steam now.
They may make a push to fill it up.. but it will be just fine either way.
Looking forward to being at this one.. love back to back shows in same venue smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-02 00:09 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: October 2, 2021 00:06

At this point as long as they sell enough tickets to cover the variable costs they are ahead. Moving to the Forum would not do that as they would have to pay rent at a second venue, one more set up and tear down and staffing at a second venue. If its half empty its half empty.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home