Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Opening Acts 2021?
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 27, 2021 01:05

triceratops
How about Guns and Roses for a few dates? This would really blow things up plus the Stones could raise the ticket prices without very many people objecting. What a double bill blast from the past. Guns must open up with Sweet Child O Mine.

Check out that tune at youtube>> WOW! No Stones tune come anywhere close to one billion youTube views.
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine (Official Music Video)

[www.youtube.com]
Unlikely, but it would be nice!
You know it's easy to click to watch a video, there are stupid videos with a lot of clicks! However, it is different to go to a concert and among the 10 biggest megaconcerts, there is not one of Guns N 'Roses, but there is the Rolling Stones.

Who’s Opening?
Posted by: rubyeveryday ()
Date: August 4, 2021 05:15

Buddy Guy in St. Louis, please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-04 05:42 by rubyeveryday.

Re: Who’s Opening?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 4, 2021 06:20

Good lord, for a moment I thought the Who was opening!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 4, 2021 07:49

...who's on first ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 4, 2021 10:47

treaclefingers
Good lord, for a moment I thought the Who was opening!

LOL....at first glance....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 4, 2021 18:02

I hope no one. Again

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: August 4, 2021 22:18

Part 1. To the "NOBODY!" and "NOBODY CARES!" legions.

You know there's going to be opening acts. Now, there may be some chance in these special Plague Era circumstances they MIGHT forgo openers, as a way to shorten by an hour everyone's time spent crowded in the stadiums together.

But if there are going to be opening acts as usual, I don't get why people who don't care what the those acts are jump into these discussions to express that... often vigorously. It's like with any discussion among people anyplace. If you don't care about the subject, why not let the people to whom it is of interest discuss it without slamming the discussion itself?

Part 2. Copying over from the Tour thread my complaint about the Stones' late-career utter indifference to who ponies up the money and opens for them.

To me, it would be wonderful if in these, the Rolling Stones' final tours, they returned to showing an interest in who opens for them, and in selecting really deserving performers to give a boost to.

When I was 17 I got to see Stevie Wonder as their opening act. Stevie Wonder! That was in his Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness' First Finale golden run, too. I'm grateful, because I really doubt I ever would have seen him live otherwise.

In pathetic contrast, in 2019 in DC we got stuck with a movie industry mogul/boy billionaire's personal vanity project band, that he assembles only when he really wants to buy himself a cool gig and play guitar hero onstage someplace. Once it was to play with Slash. In 2019 he assembled a similar line-up of hired guns, brought the band name back out of dormancy, and bought himself his ultimate fanboy wet dream: to OPEN FOR THE ROLLING STONES.

The whole episode was disgraceful. Not that his hired hands, his newly cooked up version of "Ghost Hounds" were incompetent. They weren't... he could afford to hire talented people. But how it all happened, how one rich guy to feed his own ego was allowed to just up and buy himself a gig that could and should have benefited a real, worthy, working band or performer out there slogging away in a tough business -- that was a cynical, shameful spectacle.

Part 3. Restating my pitch for SAMANTHA FISH to open a 2021 show.

Someone who I know does deserve such a shot, and who'd also blow the roof off (the roofed venues), is Samantha Fish.

I saw her in October 2019, then again in December 2019. She's crazy talented, plays a rip-roaring set, and by all rights should be a major star, but could use some visibility. She's won... multiple, I think... blues association Road Warrior awards. After shows she stays and meets every fan who wants to meet her. And she has great musical taste. Her favorite blues are the wild, North Mississippi brand of blues - RL Burnside, Junior Kimbrough. But her desert island disc is Sticky Fingers. The guitarist she'd most love to meet is Keef.

I don't care for, oh, 95%+ of music videos. If we must have music videos, IMO they should just be of the performers delivering their music. "Story" vids by wannabe film directors, with actors and models and girlfriend extras: no thanks. Like the Replacements said, "I Don't Want To Know."

Check out Samantha's vid for her single Bulletproof. To me, this is a lot of fun packed into 5 min. of rock n roll.
[m.youtube.com]

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 4, 2021 22:31

Would cast a vote for Larkin Poe in LA.

Have seen them open for Elvis Costello a couple times and they've gained in popularity since then.
Very talented sisters smileys with beer

Posted in Nashville thread, but I would also really love to see Dolly Parton (Queen of Nashville) guest at the Nashville show.

Mick duetting with a beautiful woman, in his age group, who also who equals (or surpasses) his fame.. would be fantastic.
I imagine they could do Beast Of Burden, or even Country Honk very well together winking smiley

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 4, 2021 22:34

Moon Taxi would be divine!

Date: August 5, 2021 21:28

Well with Jordan on the drums now maybe we'll get the Expensive Wino's.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 5, 2021 21:50

MisterDDDD
Would cast a vote for Larkin Poe in LA.

Have seen them open for Elvis Costello a couple times and they've gained in popularity since then.
Very talented sisters smileys with beer

Posted in Nashville thread, but I would also really love to see Dolly Parton (Queen of Nashville) guest at the Nashville show.

Mick duetting with a beautiful woman, in his age group, who also who equals (or surpasses) his fame.. would be fantastic.
I imagine they could do Beast Of Burden, or even Country Honk very well together winking smiley

The problem with a Dolly Parton duet is she mostly lipsyncs now but if she can pull it together for one song then it could be interesting. Tho mostly NOT into the guest stars they invite on stage.

OF COURSE there will be openers. The fact that no one is interested is even less than irrelevant, it's a vital part of the business plan that depends on concession and merchandise sales as well as a courtesy to the folks who never seem to realize there is traffic around large events regardless of what your GPS tells you the travel time is.

But add me into the crowd that doesn't care. Even if it's someone I like it's always an underwhelming experience other than the opportunity to virtue signal to the apathetic geezers around me that some Stones fans are still interested in and curious about new music.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 6, 2021 04:23

X-Pensivo Winos lol

Date: August 18, 2021 15:22

Y'know who'd be great?! Alvin Youngblood Hart. A fantastic bluesman, with whom I don't believe they've ever sang. They've done others over and over. This would be a nice one.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: August 18, 2021 16:43

Paul Westerberg in Mpls. thumbs upcool smiley

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 18, 2021 17:02

Hopefully Miranda Lambert in Nashville. A family member is in her band.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 18, 2021 17:28

Big thumbs up for Paul Westerberg. St. Louis seems to have plenty of seats available. I bet they name an opener somewhat soon there.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 18, 2021 18:15

Wondering if they might not have openers on this leg at all due to covid,

Have to assume there will be a very tight bubble backstage in terms of who's allowed who's not.
Having another artist with crew etc, opens up more possibilities of someone passing the virus along to one of the band members or their crew.

I wouldn't miss an opener, tbh. Especially if it helped this tour get completed.
One crew member tests positive and it would put the balance of the tour in jeopardy.

Better they extend the setlist a bit smileys with beer

Date: August 18, 2021 18:22

I could see that Mister D and I would be more than fine with no opener. Also with a different opener for each show which has been the case lately, why risk the tour by bringing in an outside band into the bubble each night?

Posted by: FloridaStoner ()
Date: August 18, 2021 23:46

Black Pumas

Date: August 19, 2021 00:18

FloridaStoner
Black Pumas

Aren't they all?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 19, 2021 00:44

How about a puppet show?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 19, 2021 04:14

hopkins

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 07:54 by schillid.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 19, 2021 04:42

Re: Opening Acts 2021? new
Date: August 19, 2021 00:44

How about a puppet show?

please god no my eyes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 04:45 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: August 19, 2021 04:51

As long as Spinal Tap plays before the Puppet Show.

Date: August 19, 2021 05:55

Did you ever tell someone that you’re going to see The Rolling Stones, and say some like “cool! Who’s opening up for them? I wanna jump off a bridge when I hear that.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 19, 2021 05:57

I am good with no opener. I think they might skip it because another band, crew, staff increases Covid chances.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 19, 2021 06:14

For your information —

There was no support act for all but one of the Stones’ six tours of Japan 1990-2014. Richie Kotzen backed by his band took the stage prior to the Stones in 2006. Wasn’t particularly impressed by him.

I posted this before, I wish they had hired Diesel Park West as a support role for the Steel Wheels/Urban Jangle tours 89-90, following Chris Kimsey’s suggestion, instead of Living Color, GNR’s, Gun etc. Still sporadically active today, the Diesels deserve a wider recognition from the general public IMHO.

[iorr.org]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 19, 2021 06:18

RisingStone
For your information —

There was no support act for all but one of the Stones’ six tours of Japan 1990-2014. Richie Kotzen backed by his band took the stage prior to the Stones in 2006. Wasn’t particularly impressed by him.

I posted this before, I wish they had hired Diesel Park West as a support role for the Steel Wheels/Urban Jangle tours 89-90, following Chris Kimsey’s suggestion, instead of Living Color, GNR’s, Gun etc. Still sporadically active today, the Diesels deserve a wider recognition from the general public IMHO.

[iorr.org]

I didn't like in Living Colour as an opening act, though I did like them as a band. In concert they were just a wall of indiscernible noise.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 19, 2021 06:37

I've seen some great openers throughout the years including Buddy Guy, J. Geils Band, Toots and the Maytals, Van Morrison,
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bonnie Raitt, The Hives, and quite a few others, and I'd feel shortchanged if there wasn't one.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 19, 2021 07:21

treaclefingers
RisingStone
For your information —

[iorr.org]

I didn't like in Living Colour as an opening act, though I did like them as a band. In concert they were just a wall of indiscernible noise.

Agreed.
In early July, 1989, just two months before my first Stones show in Pittsburg, I saw Living Colour at a small 900-seater in Osaka and they were brilliant. In the colossal Three Rivers Stadium (capacity: 50,000+), their performance lost the edge, the music blurred in the cacophony of sound from the PA speakers. Not a good choice for a stadium gig.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home