Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I Can't Get No Satisfaction from it's Rereleases!
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 15, 2021 15:09

VoodooLounge13
What CD contains the uncensored version? Is it only the original London Years release?

There are two uncensored versions; the 1985 mix and the 1965 mix.

The 1965 mix can be found on the "Stray Cats" CD from the Rolling Stones in Mono box.

The 1985 mix can be found on "The Singles Collection: The London Years" 1989 edition.

Date: August 15, 2021 16:48

exilestones
VoodooLounge13
What CD contains the uncensored version? Is it only the original London Years release?

The 1965 mix can be found on the "Stray Cats" CD from the Rolling Stones in Mono box.

The 1985 mix can be found on "The Singles Collection: The London Years" 1989 edition.

Same mix on both versions. Different edits, though.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 17, 2021 01:25

DandelionPowderman
exilestones
VoodooLounge13

I don't think so. Same edits, different mixes.

Date: August 17, 2021 11:58

exilestones
DandelionPowderman
exilestones
VoodooLounge13

I don't think so. Same edits, different mixes.

No. No one sat down with the multitrack tapes, adjusted levels on each instrument and added tone/effects on them. Hence it's not a mix.

The song was only mixed once. However, there have been several remasters, which is a different thing.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 17, 2021 17:24

The Under Assistant... :

There are two clearly different mixes of the uncensored version:

1. On the original 1965 US single, also on Stray Cats (although running slow...)

2. On the 1989 Singles Collection box - this has more prominent harmonica and less prominent guitar. It also runs longer before fading.
This mix is also on this 1990 CD single (and, I presume, on the corresponding vinyl single):
[www.discogs.com]

Censored version has the same mix as 1., but some words are missing. This is the one on all other records (unless someone know otherwise).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-17 17:53 by rootsman.

Date: August 17, 2021 18:02

rootsman
The Under Assistant... :

1. On the original 1965 US single, also on Stray Cats (although running slow...)

2. On the 1989 Singles Collection box - this has more prominent harmonica and less prominent guitar. It also runs longer before fading.
This mix is also on this CD single (and, I presume, on the corresponding vinyl single):
[www.discogs.com]

Censored version has the same mix as 1., but some words are missing. This is the one on all other records (unless someone know otherwise).

The 1989 version is remastered, not mixed. The guitar and harp levels are not lower or higher in the mix – rather some frequencies have been adjusted in the remaster (reverb, too, it seems) to enhance and dampen certain things.

The normal version is without the words in the end and shorter. It's the original edit. Same mix. No instruments from the multitrack tapes are adjusted or coloured with tone/effects individually.

As it reads on «Singles Collection – The London Years»: Digitally remastered from original master recordings.

Date: August 17, 2021 18:29

DandelionPowderman
rootsman
The Under Assistant... :

This mix is also on this CD single (and, I presume, on the corresponding vinyl single):
[www.discogs.com]

The 1989 version is remastered, not mixed. The guitar and harp levels are not lower or higher in the mix – rather some frequencies have been adjusted in the remaster (reverb, too, it seems) to enhance and dampen certain things.

The normal version is without the words in the end and shorter. It's the original edit. Same mix. No instruments from the multitrack tapes are adjusted or coloured with tone/effects individually.

As it reads on «Singles Collection – The London Years»: Digitally remastered from original master recordings.

Well, the version on the 1989 box sounds different, with more prominent harp, regardless of whether it was remixed for the box or not.
Could be a mix from 1965, or indeed, as you say, a frequencies-adjusted remaster. Anyway, it´s my favourite version/mix/master! thumbs up

Date: August 24, 2021 19:19

Ok, on relistening on The Under Ussistant on the various releases:

The version on the 1989 Singles Collection box (and the single I linked above) has more prominent sounding harmonica AND vocals compared to on all other releases.
Those in doubt, please listen and check it again.
Of course, feel free to call it a different master and not an alternate mix - but different it sounds!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 24, 2021 19:44

The version currently out (Spotify, whatever reissue in whatever format, etc) is the edited version.

The one with the "I had two flops, I break my ass every day" is unedited.

Are there two different mixes? There may be more - but it's the edit, not the remix, that makes that line disappear.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 24, 2021 20:07

rootsman
Ok, on relistening on The Under Ussistant on the various releases:

The version on the 1989 Singles Collection box (and the single I linked above) has more prominent sounding harmonica AND vocals compared to on all other releases.
Those in doubt, please listen and check it again.
Of course, feel free to call it a different master and not an alternate mix - but different it sounds!

A remaster can make a song sound entirely different from the original mix/mastering by tweaking EQs, compression, adding reverb.

There's no way to know, that I know of, how many mixes were done of whatever song in the 1960s regarding a single vs LP because the singles didn't go on the LP, which in regards to a different mix, was extremely limited (Plundered My Soul is the only single I can think of at the moment that has a different mix from the LP version).

What was done more often was editing for a single in a region (Miss You) or for radio (just shorter, like the odd choice for a single, Fool To Cry, Undercover Of The Night, or radio only ie promo single like She Was Hot, Highwire).

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1594
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home