Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I Can't Get No Satisfaction from it's Rereleases!
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 23, 2021 13:39

Abkco rereleased Satisfaction in 2015 for it's 50th anniversary. In 2020 Abkco rereleased Satisfaction for it's 55th anniversary with the exact same cover and track listing.

2015 20th Anniversay Edition

Abkco is quoted about the 2015 release, "The record has been cut from the original mono master tapes," for the 2015 reissue. This new edition is numbered, pressed on 180g vinyl and includes The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man and The Spider and the Fly, which were the US and UK B-sides respectively."

2015 - "The Rolling Stones' legendary 12-inch single reissued for the very first time on CD (SHM-CD format) in mono. Features 7-inch cardboard sleeve (serial-numbered). Also comes with a bonus cover artwork, replicating the design of the first pressing of a Japanese edition."

2020 25th Anniversary Edition

The 55th Anniversary limited edition, numbered 12-inch version of the single on 180-gram emerald-colored vinyl.

2020 - "ABKCO Records is celebrating the golden anniversary of “Satisfaction” achieving #1 status by releasing a limited edition, numbered 12-inch version of the single on 180-gram vinyl. While the smash hit comprises the entire A-side, the B-side consists of both original U.S. and UK “Satisfaction” flip sides: “The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man” and “The Spider and the Fly,” respectively.

The record is housed in a sleeve featuring award-winning photographer David Bailey’s shot of the group, recreating the original 7-inch single artwork.

These rereleases have being touted by Abkco as being released with the original b-sides from the original singles: "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" in the USA and "The Spider and the Fly" in the rest of the world.

The track listing for the 2015 reissue:

1 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction 3:44
2 The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man 3:09
3 The Spider And The Fly 3:38

I can't find the exact information for the 55th anniversary. I can tell you that I'm really pissed-off that the wrong "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" was used on the 20th anniversary release and believe that the 25th anniversary release is the same.

The original "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" was the uncensored 3:19 version with a louder harmonica and less guitar in the mix. It also had additional lyrics something like, "Yeah, I had a few flops. I break my ass every day." Those lyrics are found in the song at 2:41.

Apparently, Abkco doesn't know the Rolling Stones and didn't check with anyone who would know about the original release that they are claiming to have rereleased.

I was so disappointed not to get the original "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" that was on the original USA single! I love that Chicago-Blusey mix/version much better.

I've tried to hunt down (still trying) a perfect sounding uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man."

I've researched and downloaded everything that I possible could. I bought every digital offering of the song over and over. There isn't a great copy in existence.

There have been several fans who have remastered the uncensored, longer "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" and did a great job with what they had to work with. However, we still need a great release of the song by Abkco with todays technology.

To read, "Mastered by Carl Rowatti at Trutone Mastering Labs and cut from the original mono master tapes, the 45-rpm 12-inch format makes this a true audiophile pressing, allowing for wider grooves that yield louder levels, broader range, deeper bass and better high frequency response," and not get what they advertised as the b-sides of the original single, uncensored version makes me fell, idk, it's hard to explain. I'm very disappointed and angry that all of that work was done to produce a high quality release and they used the wrong freaking track!

To the best of my knowledge, the uncensored, longer, more Chicago Blues sounding "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" was basically only released three times.

There was the original USA "Out of Our Heads," the original USA "(I can't Get No) Satisfaction" single, the original release of "The Singles Collection - The London Years." There was also a rerelease of the "(I can't Get No) Satisfaction" single b/w the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" in Holland 1990 as a spin-off single of "The Singles Collection - The London Years."

ROLLING STONES Satisfaction (1990 Dutch only 2-track CD single produced exclusively for the 25th Anniversary of Jaar Radio in Holland, also including The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
So far, the best sounding version of the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" on CD/digital is on the 1990 Holland release. Perhaps because it's on London Records?

With all of this said (above), I need to add that all of my listening to the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" have been digital (I can hear Hendrik from halfway around the world, "Best sound? Digital?").

I'm not turning this thread in to a analog v. digital debate. We all know that analog is far better sound. The problem is that not everybody has a great turntable, etc... The bigger issue is portability. I can't use a turntable while driving in my car or going for a walk, etc...

What are the my issues with the issues and reissues of the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man?"

The original USA "Out of Our Heads" and original USA release of the "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" are on vinyl. I don't have them or know the catalog numbers of those releases. Will someone please post those catalog numbers of those releases. I would also be great to have scans of the record labels. It would really, really great to have those scans!

I've never come across those original USA "Out of Our Heads" and original USA release of the "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" transferred from vinyl to digital.

There are probably very few people that have that capability to produce digital versions from the original USA releases. If you can produce these original USA releases digitally to share with your fellow Rolling Stones fans, please be a hero and do so. It will be appreciated forever!

Even if Abkco did rerelease the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man," It wouldn't be the same as the originals. After listening to the Rolling Stones for decades, it's cool to get a different mix. I enjoy the many mixes of various Rolling Stones songs at this point in my life.

The earlier CDs don't have as good sound as the later CDs. Not just Abkco but all CDs from the 80s. They just aren't sonically superior to the technology that came later. (If you want a great example, compare the original "Steel Wheels" CD to any that came after).

Even though the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" was released on the original "The Singles Collection - The London Years," the CD isn't the best sound.

The rerelease of "The Singles Collection - The London Years" did not include the single version of the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man." How an LP version of the censored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" go on to an official collection of singles, idk.

The HD rerelease of "The Singles Collection: The London Years did not include the uncensored version either.

Abkco's website boast, "The three-disc box set Singles Collection: The London Years contains every single the Rolling Stones released during the ’60s, including both the A- and B-sides." NOT!

Abkco released that singles box in 2004 with beautiful replicas of most of the original singles. Singles 1965-1967 Vol. 2 did not include the single version of the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man."

Currently, I'm going through posts from IronBelly researching the Old Abkco, MFSL and POCD releases looking for the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man."

With trying to find the best sounding uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" on CD is the problem? idk. It would be great to have some vinyl transfer to digital of this elusive track?

Re: I Can't Get No Satisfaction from it's Rereleases!
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 23, 2021 14:00

The 2002 re-releases of Hot Rocks and Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) have an alternative quasi-stereo mix of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 23, 2021 14:19

Looks good. Three great tracks

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 23, 2021 14:27

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction ..... greatest 45rpm single ever released

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 23, 2021 16:09

Rockman

Their breakout for sure. But JJF is the greatest for me. Primal and THE comeback from that psychedelic nonsense!

Rod

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2021 16:33

bitusa2012
Rockman

Their breakout for sure. But JJF is the greatest for me. Primal and THE comeback from that psychedelic nonsense!

I rarely listen to Satisfaction these days, having way over played it in the 80s when I first got into the band.

That said, it came on the radio a couple of weeks ago, and I just had to marvel how good that recording, that performance was. It really stands head and shoulders around anything that was released around that time...maybe Like A Rolling Stone. And a year later Paint It Black.

What a band.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 23, 2021 16:42

exilestones

Currently, I'm going through posts from IronBelly researching the Old Abkco, MFSL and POCD releases looking for the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man."

With trying to find the best sounding uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" on CD is the problem? idk. It would be great to have some vinyl transfer to digital of this elusive track?
There are no posts of ironbelly on this topic winking smiley
You forgot two other versions of TUAWCPM from In Mono box.
Out Of Our Heads (US/UK)
- Same digital transfer as 2002
Stray Cats
- Original mix (not 1989 remix), uncensored/unedited, fade matches the original mix. However, it is over 2% slower than other versions (edited 2002/2016, unedited/remixed 1989, random YouTube needledrop of the 45, etc).

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 23, 2021 16:56

Rockman

Yep. Let the rockin' and the rollin' commence.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 23, 2021 16:57

exilestones

There was the original USA "Out of Our Heads," the original USA "(I can't Get No) Satisfaction" single, the original release of "The Singles Collection - The London Years." There was also a rerelease of the "(I can't Get No) Satisfaction" single b/w the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" in Holland 1990 as a spin-off single of "The Singles Collection - The London Years."

ROLLING STONES Satisfaction (1990 Dutch only 2-track CD single produced exclusively for the 25th Anniversary of Jaar Radio in Holland, also including The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
So far, the best sounding version of the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" on CD/digital is on the 1990 Holland release. Perhaps because it's on London Records?
There is no such a thing as London or MFSL mastering for uncensored The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man. Both, Singles collection and Holland single, utilize the very same mastering (Luke used to call it old ABKCO). The only difference is level shift for Holland single, it is a tad louder. But it originates from the very same 1989 tape transfer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-23 20:16 by ironbelly.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 23, 2021 18:32

treaclefingers
bitusa2012
Rockman

I rarely listen to Satisfaction these days, having way over played it in the 80s when I first got into the band.

That said, it came on the radio a couple of weeks ago, and I just had to marvel how good that recording, that performance was. It really stands head and shoulders around anything that was released around that time...maybe Like A Rolling Stone. And a year later Paint It Black.

What a band.

Growing up hearing it on mono AM radio, it took years later before I realized how integral Bill's bass was as a counterpoint to Keith's guitar.

Date: July 24, 2021 02:54

24FPS
treaclefingers
bitusa2012
Rockman

What a band.

Growing up hearing it on mono AM radio, it took years later before I realized how integral Bill's bass was as a counterpoint to Keith's guitar.

My head exploded the first time I heard Gimme Shelter, on Brussels. Hot damn that bass.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 24, 2021 04:29

24FPS
treaclefingers
bitusa2012
Rockman

What a band.

Growing up hearing it on mono AM radio, it took years later before I realized how integral Bill' bass was as a counterpoint to Keith's guitar.[/quote

Yes a great example of counterpoint!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-24 04:32 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: July 26, 2021 20:05

ironbelly
exilestones

There are no posts of ironbelly on this topic winking smiley

The topics I was looking through were about POCD and the London MFSL CDs. I don't see any extended "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" in those issues, do you?

You forgot two other versions of TUAWCPM from In Mono box.
Out Of Our Heads (US/UK)
- Same digital transfer as 2002

I wouldn't expect to have the longer "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" from those reissues.

Stray Cats
- Original mix (not 1989 remix), uncensored/unedited, fade matches the original mix. However, it is over 2% slower than other versions (edited 2002/2016, unedited/remixed 1989, random YouTube needledrop of the 45, etc).

Stray Cats? What?

So the 1989 is a remix and not the same as the 1965 uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man." I didn't know that fact. I did hear a slower version on YouTube, uncensored.

Is there a clear copy of both uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" mixes?

[www.youtube.com]

slower:
[www.youtube.com]

horrible siunding fake stereo
[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 26, 2021 20:15

ironbelly
exilestones

There is no such a thing as London or MFSL mastering for uncensored The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man. Both, Singles collection and Holland single, utilize the very same mastering (Luke used to call it old ABKCO). The only difference is level shift for Holland single, it is a tad louder. But it originates from the very same 1989 tape transfer.

Hmmm, I'm confused. There was no release of the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" in the Old Abkco. At least not in the 1986 Abkco CD releases that I know of. Therefore there was no Old Abkco release of the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" on the POCD releases. But you're saying that's where the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" comes from for 1989-1990 releases, Old Abkco?

And your saying the 1965 releases of the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" were 1965 mixes. Do we have a name for the 1965 mixes?

Do I have this info correct? Thanks for your help knowledgeable one!

Date: July 26, 2021 20:20

exilestones

Stray Cats? What?

15th Album of the 2016 Box-set 'The Rolling Stones in Mono' - [www.Discogs.com] , [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Stray Cats - Mono-Box:

[www.YouTube.com]

Out of Our Heads - Mono-Box:

[www.YouTube.com]

Date: July 26, 2021 20:42

Irix
exilestones

Stray Cats? What?

15th Album of the 2016 Box-set 'The Rolling Stones in Mono' - [www.Discogs.com] , [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Stray Cats - Mono-Box:

[www.YouTube.com]

Out of Our Heads - Mono-Box:

[www.YouTube.com]

thank you. I went searching for Stray Cats Rolling Stones....

Re: Rolling Stones in Mono Box vs 2002 Remasters
Date: August 3, 2020 23:00

Mono-Box (2016) - STRAY CATS: This bonus album is a round-up of various single versions of album tracks, B-sides and other odds and ends from 1960s Stones’ recordings. It includes two covers of The Coasters’ Poison Ivy. Barrett Strong’s 1959 hit Money, as well as Fortune Teller – the Stones’ brisk version of a 1962 B-side by the New Orleans singer Benny Spellman. Mick sings, As Tears Go By in Italian and there’s Stoned, the instrumental flip of I Wanna Be Your Man along with the 1965 outtake of Otis Redding’s I’ve Been Loving You Too Long (freed of the fake applause applied to disguise its studio origin when the track appeared on the 1966 LP Got Live If You Want It); and the electric-Chicago B-side Who’s Driving Your Plane.

Date: July 26, 2021 20:57

ironbelly

Stray Cats

You're saying the mix on the Stray Cats LP is the same as the 1965 mix.

Thank you for your help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-27 13:42 by exilestones.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 26, 2021 21:03

the fact that I only have the uncensored on the original London Years Cassette has always driven me nuts as well! I love that version!!

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 26, 2021 21:22

My friend saw me reading intently and asked what this thread is about. I said it appears someone really wants a copy of the uncensored "Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man"

Date: July 27, 2021 05:04

I have copies of the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man." I want a great copy of the 1965 mix and the 1969 mix!

The 1989 "The Singles Collection: The London Years" don't sound too good. These rips have to come from vinyl.

It's different mixes than the censored shorter version. It's more Blues. More harmonica. I like it better. They use the word "ass" in it. I like that too!

It really bugs me that Abkco put the short censored version on the rereleases of Satisfaction on their 50th and 55th anniversary reissues, advertising "with the original b-sides" of "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" and "The Spider and the Fly."

I never did figure-out about the 45 b-side of "Satisfaction's" "The Spider and the Fly." I'd bet Ironbelly knows the difference between the LP and the single of "The Spider and the Fly" (if there is a difference).

If Abkco got it right in "The Rolling Stones in Mono," (Stray Cats) then why didn't they get it right on the rereleases of the "Satisfaction" with the advertised original b-sides.

++++++++

55th

"The Rolling Stones 1965 single "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" was their first #1 hit in the U.S. 55th Anniversary limited edition, numbered 12-inch version of the single on 180-gram emerald-colored vinyl. The B-side consists of both original U.S. and UK "Satisfaction" flip sides: "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" and "The Spider and the Fly," respectively. The sleeve is a recreation of the original 7-inch single artwork"

55th Anniversary 180-gram Emerald Vinyl 12" single edition

Numbered, limited edition, cut from the original master tapes

Original jacket artwork, pressed by Quality Record Pressings!

The Rolling Stones 1965 single "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" was their first No. 1 hit in the U.S. This 55th Anniversary limited edition, numbered 12-inch version of the single is pressed on 180-gram emerald-colored vinyl by Quality Record Pressings in Salina, KS!

The B-side consists of both original U.S. and U.K. "Satisfaction" flip sides: "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" and "The Spider and the Fly," respectively. The sleeve is a recreation of the original 7-inch single artwork.

AABK 86291

Side A:
1. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Side B:
1. The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
2. The Spider And The Fly

++++++++

50th

The Rolling Stones (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction Numbered Limited Edition 180g 45rpm 12" Vinyl

Numbered, Limited Edition 180g 45rpm 12" Vinyl Single!
Mastered from the Original Master Tapes! Pressed at Quality Record Pressings!

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction vaulted The Rolling Stones into super-stardom and captured the spirit of a generation. To celebrate its 50th Anniversary, this limited edition, numbered 12'' single is cut from the original mono master tapes and features both US and UK B-sides housed in a sleeve recreating the original artwork. The 12'' makes this a true audiophile pressing, allowing for wider grooves that yield louder levels, broader dynamic range, deeper bass, and better high frequency response.

Features:

50th Anniversary Edition
Numbered, Limited Edition
180g 45rpm 12" Vinyl Single
Cut from the original master tapes
Pressed at Quality Record Pressings
Original Sleeve Artwork
Includes both US and UK B-Sides

Side A:

1. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Side B:

1. The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion man
2. The Spider and The Fly

Date: July 27, 2021 05:15

Quality Record Pressings is a vinyl record pressing plant launched by music entrepreneur Chad Kassem in Salina, Kansas, United States in 2011. QRP sought to improve premier audiophile pressings, introducing innovations never before tried in the record pressing industry.
[www.qualityrecordpressings.com]

[www.qualityrecordpressings.com]

Other Rolling Stones albums pressed at Quality Record Pressings in 2014:

[www.discogs.com]

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! - The Rolling Stones In Concert & Lithograph
[www.discogs.com]

Date: July 27, 2021 05:35

Irix
The 2002 re-releases of Hot Rocks and Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) have an alternative quasi-stereo mix of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

This sounds interesting.

Date: July 27, 2021 13:45

ironbelly

Stray Cats

I get it, you're saying the mix on the Stray Cats LP is the same as the 1965 mix. I listened to it. I know I'm a little slow but there's a lot to comprehend.

I had no idea there were two mixes. The 1965 mix has heavy harmonica. Very Blues-y.

Some kind soul sent me a rip of Stray Cats from "The Rolling Stones in Mono" but the sound isn't great. "Stray Cats" was never release on CD.

I had some great sounding downloads from NeedleDrop, "Hot Rocks," I think. Needle Drop's work is amazing.

I like the mix from 1965 better but I like the faster speed from the 1989 mix. All I need is money to spend on a great turntable and stereo system, a sound engineer to pick the components and then adjust the speed. Or I can write to Professor Stoned and Needle Drop.

Thank you for all of your help!

Date: July 27, 2021 15:53

There is only one mix. However, there are two different edits and different tempos.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 27, 2021 17:14

exilestones
ironbelly

Stray Cats

I get it, you're saying the mix on the Stray Cats LP is the same as the 1965 mix. I listened to it. I know I'm a little slow but there's a lot to comprehend.

I had no idea there were two mixes. The 1965 mix has heavy harmonica. Very Blues-y.

Some kind soul sent me a rip of Stray Cats from "The Rolling Stones in Mono" but the sound isn't great. "Stray Cats" was never release on CD.

I had some great sounding downloads from NeedleDrop, "Hot Rocks," I think. Needle Drop's work is amazing.

I like the mix from 1965 better but I like the faster speed from the 1989 mix. All I need is money to spend on a great turntable and stereo system, a sound engineer to pick the components and then adjust the speed. Or I can write to Professor Stoned and Needle Drop.

You're aware that the "The Rolling Stones in Mono"-set including the "Stray Cats"-compilation was also released on CD, no?

Date: July 27, 2021 17:18

retired_dog
exilestones
ironbelly

Stray Cats

You're aware that the "The Rolling Stones in Mono"-set including the "Stray Cats"-compilation was also released on CD, no?

Yes, a fantastic set.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 27, 2021 17:19

DandelionPowderman
There is only one mix. However, there are two different edits and different tempos.

Yeah, I agree and think that's obvious. This "different version"-thing is a bit made up by the original poster. It's the same musical performance.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 29, 2021 23:26

Hey yeah ... if it wasnt for the
cassette player maybe Satisfaction
might not have made it out inta thee world ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 30, 2021 00:28

LOL, "I break my ass every day!" We were still processing "I'm trying to make some girl pregnant" (sic) from the A side. And so they became my favorite band. Under Assistant 1:

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 2, 2021 19:38

What CD contains the uncensored version? Is it only the original London Years release?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home