Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061Next
Current Page: 60 of 61
Re: The Rolling Stones - 2021 US Tour (Rescheduled Dates + New Shows)
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 29, 2021 15:45

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: December 1, 2021 05:34

I LOVE that quote, Mr. D! Wholeheartedly agree smileys with beer

Re: The Rolling Stones - 2021 US Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 2, 2021 16:01

Date: December 14, 2021 15:19

How The Rolling Stones' ‘No Filter Tour’ Became 2021’s Highest Grossing Tour And An Industry Beacon

Monday, 12/13/2021
By: Andy Gensler

J. Bouquet

It didn’t seem remotely possible that The Rolling Stones, the World’s Greatest Rock & Roll Band, could outdo themselves nearly 60 years into their storied career. But what the Stones achieved in 2021 with the restart of their “No Filter Tour” stands out as among one of the legendary group’s greatest accomplishments. Not only was it the highest grossing tour of Pollstar’s 2021 chart year, bringing in $115.5 million and more than 516,000 tickets over the course of just two months, but, more importantly, it served as a beacon for the entire industry and hundreds of millions of music fans across the world, showing that in this supremely challenging year, concerts at the highest echelon of the live business could be pulled off safely and successfully.

“It's a testament to all of the people who were out on the road and on our team,” says John Meglen, president and co-CEO of Concerts West, the Stones’ promoter. “You have to give every single person out there credit for a ton of buckling down and saying, ‘Let's go out and get this thing done,’ because we all wanted to get it done. We didn't want to lose a show. And we're watching all the others out there and going, ‘Man, they're not taking it serious enough.’”

With an average revenue of a mind-boggling $10 million per show for the full run, there was a lot at stake and the Stones’ team had to do everything in their power to ensure the tour’s safety. To Meglen, his co-CEO partner Paul Gongaware and their team’s credit, the tour’s strict adherence to COVID protocols was crucial to the success of “No Filter.”

“We had a very, very strict bubble, both for the entourage and the same with Opie (veteran tour production director Dale “Opie” Skjerseth) on the production crew,” Meglen says. “When we moved into St. Louis for the first show (the run debuted on Sept. 26 at The Dome), we really got into all of the daily or every-other-day testing.”

Not only was the entire crew vaccinated and regularly tested, but the tour traveled with N95 masks, doctors and even its own PCR machines. No outsiders were allowed backstage, dressing rooms were sanitized and zones were set up to only allow certain people access. “We had to be very, very strict,” Meglen continues. “At the show in L.A., my wife was up in the suite, but I couldn't go up and see her.”

Also, this year there was an array of other challenges beyond the global pandemic, including labor shortages, supply chain issues, rising inflation, consumer fear, varying city and state regulations and, most horribly, the one thing no group should ever have to endure, especially weeks before a major tour commences.

“Charlie’s passing was a surprise,” says Gongaware of the immense loss of Charlie Watts, one of the all-time great drummers and an original Rolling Stones member. His passing at age 80 on Aug. 24, 2021, just a month out from the “No Filter” kickoff, was a body blow for The Stones, their team and music fans across the globe who for decades reveled in Watts’ steady, swinging grooves. “We knew he was in the hospital,” Gongaware continues, “but we thought he was doing okay. He had insisted we do the tour without him if he wasn't going to be able. We were hoping that he would come back somewhere in the middle of the tour, but he insisted we do it, and so we did.”

Thank goodness. What the band accomplished in 2021 with 14 stadium shows in total (two of the shows fell outside of Pollstar’s chart year) in just under two months, with a whopping 577,303 tickets and a $226.75 average ticket price for a total gross of $130,906,734, is proof positive that the live industry can and will return.

Within the context of the Stones’ storied concert history, a $130.9 million gross might seem a pittance – but it isn’t and it augurs exceedingly well for 2022. Over the course of six decades, the Rolling Stones have continually been on the forefront of the live business, pushing the bar ever higher while helping create the modern touring industry as we know it today. When Michael Cohl outbid Bill Graham for 1989’s “Steel Wheels Tour,” it was an historic paradigm shift that displaced the regional tour promoter system for the single promoter model that has ruled the day ever since. It also included groundbreaking sponsorship deals and saw revenues in excess of $140 million, which for then was all but unheard of.

And that’s just the beginning. The Stones’ 1994-1995 “Voodoo Lounge” run hauled $320 million and sold 6.4 million tickets, while their “Bigger Bang Tour” exceeded that benchmark with $558 million grossed from 2005-2007 and 4.7 million tickets. The World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band were among the top earners for three decades, pulling in $870 million in the aughts, $929 million in the teens (just behind U2) and an estimated $800 million in the '90s – a whopping $2.6 billion over those decades.

Perhaps more mind-blowing is that if the Stones decided to continue touring apace of 2021’s leg of the “No Filter Tour,” which passed $130 million grossed in just one quarter, their haul for a full year would be a massive $523.6 million– significantly more than the top tours of the recent record-setting years of 2018 (Ed Sheeran at $432 million) and 2019 (Pink at $215 million), and more than any of their past tours earned in a single calendar year.

Part of their success is ticket pricing, which by today’s inflationary standards at $223.50 is relatively reasonable for one of the most legendary artists on the planet. “It is an event, not just another concert,” says Gongaware of the Stones’ ticket pricing. “We want to make sure that when they come to town, it’s an event. We work very hard on that from tease campaigns at the very beginning with people like Amy Morrison, who runs our marketing department, who’s been doing this since their 50th anniversary tour and far more.”

In addition to Morrison and Skjerseth, Gongaware and Meglen stress the importance of their team, which includes COO Kelly DiStefano, tour accountant Gord Berg, Marc Feinberg, who runs premium ticketing, and Mike Wozniak for security. In addition, the duo shout out the Stones’ indispensable manager Joyce Smyth, who Meglen calls “absolutely amazing, she makes everything happen.”

When asked what they learned that others in the industry should know for when they get out there, Meglen cuts to the chase. “You better take it seriously,” he says. “We ain’t done. This whole thing about the ‘Roaring ’20s’ and all of that, we said a long time ago, the comeback’s going to be one hell of a bumpy road, and it’s going to continue being a bumpy road for a while. So all these Pollyannish ones who think that, ‘Oh, it’s going to be like it was before,’ that ain’t the case. It’s tough out there. You’ve got to be smart. If you lose shows, that’s a lot of money.”

And the million- if not billion- dollar question for 2022, with the band’s incredible 60th year approaching, is will they or won’t they go back out?
“We can’t talk about it,” Gongaware says firmly. That’s a far better answer than no.

[www.pollstar.com]

Date: December 14, 2021 15:40

"... it served as a beacon for the entire industry and hundreds of millions of music fans across the world,"

Bravo!!... thanks for posting b b johnny!
Love this band... still leading the way in so many ways smileys with beer

Cant wait for next year!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-14 15:45 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 14, 2021 16:37

Good read... Thanks Johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-14 16:37 by schillid.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 14, 2021 19:25

Hey yeah thats a good read .....They got through

Thanks johnny

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 14, 2021 22:59

It said 14 stadium shows - it was 12 stadium shows.

If 2 of the 14 shows fell outside of Pollstar's chart year, then, what, they don't count in Pollstar's numbers total?

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: December 15, 2021 00:48

Thanks for posting that article, BBJ. It truly is amazing what The Stones and their team pulled off. Keeping my fingers crossed and my calendar free for 2022.

Re: The Rolling Stones 2021 US Tour
Date: December 15, 2021 15:54

Pollstar 2021 Year End Special Issue: The Great Return

12/13/2021
By: Pollstar Staff

Top 100 Tours

Top 100 Worldwide Tours

Top 200 North American Tours

Top 300 Concert Grosses

--

[www.pollstar.com]

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: December 16, 2021 18:24

bye bye johnny

12/13/2021

Top 100 Tours

Top 100 Worldwide Tours

Top 300 Concert Grosses

--

[www.pollstar.com]

Great article. As BFR said it's amazing what the Stones and the entire production team was able to do during this pandemic. I didn't all this until I read this article!

Date: December 16, 2021 22:52

Sockers56
bye bye johnny

12/13/2021

Top 100 Tours

Top 100 Worldwide Tours

Top 300 Concert Grosses

--

[www.pollstar.com]

Great article. As BFR said it's amazing what the Stones and the entire production team was able to do during this pandemic. I didn't all this until I read this article!

Agree sockers..
This tour, more than any in recent times that I can think of, was historic in so many ways.

So glad to have shared a few shows and laughs with you along the way on it smileys with beer
Epic.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: December 17, 2021 23:45

Good thing they got the tour in. Going forward it sure looks pretty grim as far as future concerts go. 2022 will be a right off for concerts I'm pretty certain.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 18, 2021 17:32

These are the Rolling Stones numbers, just missing numbers from the shows in Austin and Hollywood/Miami.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-18 17:35 by bv.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 23, 2021 17:11

Rolling Stones’ $130m ‘No Filter’ Tour Logs Further Box Office Landmarks

[www.yahoo.com]

Nice!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 23, 2021 17:44

The 2 missing boxscores for the last 2 shows (Austin and Hard Rock) are available here:

Date: December 23, 2021 20:54

Thanks for the updated stats georgelicks!
Love that Vegas was their top grossing show.

Very special concert for me... loved every second of it smileys with beer

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: December 23, 2021 21:37

MisterDDDD
Thanks for the updated stats georgelicks!
Love that Vegas was their top grossing show.

Very special concert for me... loved every second of it smileys with beer

Same here! 100% Satisfaction guaranteed smileys with beer

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: December 30, 2021 02:26

Remembering how lucky I was to see all 15 shows on the No Filter 2021 Tour. The band really did Charlie proud. Steve played brilliantly yet was incredibly humble.

I experienced my first Birthday show in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately I was subdued by the passing of my great friend, legendary collector and IORR contributor JR. I miss him greatly.

Insta: matt_leeuk

p.s. does anyone know how to make the pictures smaller?

Date: December 30, 2021 02:32

Believe it was in a Chuck interview, where he referred to this tour as "The Miracle Tour"
Imma go with that now when referring to this one.. and credit Charlie for it.

Also- no luck for me in reducing image size.. someone undoubtably will tho smileys with beer

mattleeuk
Remembering how lucky I was to see all 15 shows on the No Filter 2021 Tour. The band really did Charlie proud. Steve played brilliantly yet was incredibly humble.

I experienced my first Birthday show in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately I was subdued by the passing of my great friend, legendary collector and IORR contributor JR. I miss him greatly.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 30, 2021 02:34

It was hard to accept the *Stones without Charlie being there (RIP), but was still fun to attend a couple of shows to see the remnants of whats left of the band.

Date: December 30, 2021 02:41

On a real roll.

Lol.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 30, 2021 06:36

It seems rather realistic, given what Mick says these days, that the 2021 NO FILTER tour was the last US tour. Obviously their age is a bigger factor but COVID showed that even the Stones have to wait for things out of their control, yet alone Charlie dying.

Obviously no one will know until after 2022.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 30, 2021 11:11

...when we see the world today ,the ”miracle tour” seems to be the right expression.....!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 30, 2021 11:49

mattleeuk

wow cool collection matt

expect nothing less from ya

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 30, 2021 13:40

mattleeuk

The original picture seems to be from [www.instagram.com] . You could it additionally upload & downscale on [Postimages.org] . This avoids also the issue with the expiring signatures of the FB & IG pictures.

Posted by: bradleycsocal ()
Date: January 17, 2022 14:25

When might they announce 2022 dates if they are doing shows this summer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-17 14:29 by bradleycsocal.

Posted by: bradleycsocal ()
Date: January 17, 2022 14:27

GasLightStreet
It seems rather realistic, given what Mick says these days, that the 2021 NO FILTER tour was the last US tour. Obviously their age is a bigger factor but COVID showed that even the Stones have to wait for things out of their control, yet alone Charlie dying.

Obviously no one will know until after 2022.

Where has Mick said that 2021 was the last US tour?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 17, 2022 14:37

bradleycsocal
When might they announce 2022 dates if they are doing shows this summer?

in recent years tours were usually announced some 6-8 weeks before the first show

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 17, 2022 14:45

I don't know how to post newspaper clippings (Scottish Mail on Sunday 9.1.2021) so you'll have to bear with me.

A friend just sent me a clipping of Chris Jagger: "Chris blurted out a suggestion that the Stones will tour Europe this summer - Chris posed for this picture outside the Stones Fan Museum in Luchow - Germany with a BMW Isetta featuring the band's logo. He posted the image on Facebook with the caption "Just examining vehicle for suitability for upcoming Stones Europe tour"......

I couldn't see it on his facebook page so maybe deleted?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-17 15:26 by EddieByword.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061Next
Current Page: 60 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1304
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home