Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 61
Re: The Rolling Stones - 2021 US Tour (Rescheduled Dates + New Shows)
Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: August 8, 2021 12:19

Aquamarine
Personally--speaking as someone with absolutely zero inside knowledge--I think Mick, Keith, and Ronnie, at least, do it for themselves. Just like Bob Dylan. None of them has to do it, they already have more money than God, they're way up in years, and have every excuse not to do it--but they do. It's not just what they do, it's what they are.

Yeah, I think the adrenaline rush and ego boost of performing and even preparing to tour is unfathomably addictive. Also, at what point do you have enough money when you must provide for tons of kids and grandkids and hobbies while supporting crew and administrators? Probably never. And what wife would want you at home all day? And how do you divest yourself from the joy you had as a teenager dying to perform before an audience?

In some ways, what the Stones have been doing for the last few decades is corrupt, but there's also a kernel of purity to it. At least that's why I pay $550 to be in the pit to witness. They're an evil band---it's decadent, cocky. Don't you feel a whiff of antagonism among the wasted masses at these shows? It's music to get messed up to, even if you're Robert Kraft (or whoever) waking up the next morning with a dreadful hangover regretting that lousy handjob.

Or is this opinion because I just came back from an anonymous though fulfilling hookup while listening to Brussels Affair? Art is messing with my life. I can no longer tell which is which, and that's why the Rolling Stones are the greatest.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 8, 2021 17:46

I don't get the whole 'betrayal' thing. Charlie's recuperating and will rejoin the tour when well. The band forged ahead after kicking out Brian, Bill quitting, Stu's sad passing.

Was it a betrayal when they had Jimmy Miller play drums on You Can't Always Get What You Want, IORR, Shine a Light, and Happy, and likely others? Or Bill Plummer playing bass on Rip This Joint, All Down The Line, Turd On The Run and I Just Wanna See His Face? Willy Weeks playing bass on IORR? Or Wyman left of tracks as Mick Taylor or Keep took over bass duties? Al Perkins playing lead guitar instead of Mick Taylor on Torn & Frayed? Loads of others.

Should we change the credits on the non-charlie records to something other than The Rolling Stones?

The band has changed many times over decades - and this is a temporary change.

The band has lots of aging fans. Don't become the crotchety old guy who lives to yell at kids who's ball may have rolled onto their lawn or over their fence. LOL

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 8, 2021 18:03

Aquamarine
TiminIndy
Sometimes I wonder why the Stones keep touring at their age, since I'm sure they all have more money than they will ever need. Often, I think it is because there are a ton of people who make a living in all of the various roles surrounding the tours. Do you think they do it for them?

Personally--speaking as someone with absolutely zero inside knowledge--I think Mick, Keith, and Ronnie, at least, do it for themselves. Just like Bob Dylan. None of them has to do it, they already have more money than God, they're way up in years, and have every excuse not to do it--but they do. It's not just what they do, it's what they are.

I'd agree with this and it wouldn't surprise me if 2021 ends up being a test run for their future, when/if Charlie decides to retire, as he is the only one I can see potentially wanting to bow out at some point.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2021 20:11

Dougratajczak87
Aquamarine
TiminIndy
Sometimes I wonder why the Stones keep touring at their age, since I'm sure they all have more money than they will ever need. Often, I think it is because there are a ton of people who make a living in all of the various roles surrounding the tours. Do you think they do it for them?

I'd agree with this and it wouldn't surprise me if 2021 ends up being a test run for their future, when/if Charlie decides to retire, as he is the only one I can see potentially wanting to bow out at some point.

WELL...

If that happens we could keep rolling for awhile. Keith is probably next out. Getting a replacement shouldn't be a problem.

At that point though we're probably overripe for a name change.

I think the leading contender would have to be, "Mick Jagger and His Rolling Stones!".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 8, 2021 21:04

swimtothemoon
Beast
rustytrinket86
Hairball
From USA Today:

Large outdoor gatherings are safer than large indoor gatherings, but experts still warn that COVID-19 can be transmitted outside, especially in crowds.

“The main challenge there is going to be that any attendee won't know everyone else's vaccination status, and we are seeing that delta is much more transmissible than previous versions of COVID.
And so even if it’s a small proportion of people that are infected, the chance of it transmitting is going to be higher.” - Elizabeth Stuart, vice dean for education in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health

More > Coronavirus

And this is why I hope the concert is mask mandated. At the very least since they probably won’t do vaccination mandated. I don’t know but after the Delta surge, people given the option to go without masks and now CW dropping out… I‘ll probably sell my tickets. Holding out a bit longer hoping Covid restrictions are set in place. So far they seem pretty weak.

As if a mask mandate will stick. Who's going to police 50,000+ people wearing masks once they're inside? Dream on.....

In my opinion, wearing a mask is easy. This is a very simple task which
protects yourself and others. My opinion: there needs to be a mask mandate
at these shows. There will be way too many fans attending to provide safe social distancing. The bulk of the audience will comply. A few will not - but this is no excuse to abandon the idea of a mask mandate. A mask mandate
is necessary and will save lives. In my view, wearing a mask seems like a very small inconvenience and it continues to surprise me that people object.

If there is a mask mandate, will it also include members of the band?
If not, maybe the band can separate and protect themselves from the audience with a giant protective shield of plexiglass at the foot of the stage.
It would work both ways...members of the audience won't have to worry about Mick bellowing out germs all over the place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-08 21:05 by Hairball.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 8, 2021 21:20

Hairball

maybe the band can separate and protect themselves from the audience with a giant protective shield of plexiglass at the foot of the stage

Not plexiglass - but air curtains, integrated into the foot of the stage (blowing upwards) - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Date: August 8, 2021 21:25

Irix
Hairball

maybe the band can separate and protect themselves from the audience with a giant protective shield of plexiglass at the foot of the stage

Not plexiglass - but air curtains, integrated into the foot of the stage (blowing upwards) - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Some of the stadiums are enclosed, so the air curtains could cause a circular tornado or hurricane effect of germs circulating even more rapidly throughout the stadium.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 8, 2021 21:45

Hairball

Some of the stadiums are enclosed, so the air curtains could cause a circular tornado or hurricane effect of germs circulating even more rapidly throughout the stadium.

Good stadiums or arenas should have exhaust ventilation systems to prevent such spreading and they could absorb the air from the air curtains.

Date: August 8, 2021 21:52

Irix
Hairball

Good stadiums or arenas should have exhaust ventilation systems to prevent such spreading and they could absorb the air from the curtains.

OK - instead of mask mandates (or maybe in addition to), all stadiums should be required to have massive air curtains with proper exhaust ventilation systems to thwart the spread of disease.
Sounds like a science fiction movie from the future, but this is the reality we live in today. Maybe some day in the not-so-distant future each attendee and performer will have to wear an astronaut suit.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 8, 2021 22:37

This story got taken down, but briefly appeared online just days ago:

[web.archive.org]

Rick Lindsey-led Prime Insurance Company has insured the upcoming Rolling Stones US tour, providing cover in the event of civil authority shutdowns due to Covid-19 contamination at a time when most carriers are excluding communicable diseases from contingency policies, The Insurer can reveal.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: August 8, 2021 22:46

And Jazz fest was just cancelled

[www.nojazzfest.com]

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: August 8, 2021 23:10

Woz
And Jazz fest was just cancelled

[www.nojazzfest.com]

Have a funny feeling more of the No Filter tour dates are going to get cancelled, if not the entire tour

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 8, 2021 23:50

I think that they booked dates and got insurance IF local governments require a cancel. They won’t or can’t cancel for any other reason. Jazzfest never made sense to me as an add on except that they had nothing to lose if it never happened at all.

I think it’s possible some other cities get scrapped but not likely. There are plenty of red states on the list.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: August 8, 2021 23:51

When do they cancel the No Filter tour and start the No Covid tour angry smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-09 01:39 by spikenyc.

Date: August 9, 2021 01:39

I suspect this your boss on as planned sans NOLA

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 9, 2021 01:45

bam
georgemcdonnell314
I think ticket prices will drop over time as well. Between the rescheduling and the "The Wattless Stones" I think much of their tour following has been lost. Especially those coming from overseas

How many from overseas are in a crowd of 60,000? 100? 1,000?
Sorry, but that won’t make a difference.

The problem isn't people like BV coming from Norway. It is Billy Joe Jim Bob and his sister wife who refuses to get vaccinated coming from some southern or flyover state. There will be people traveling either way. Just depends on where they are from.

Date: August 9, 2021 01:49

Minus the cancelled Jazz Fest, and including the private show for Kraft, the number of shows scheduled this tour is back to....................13.

I'm not superstitious (not much anyways), but unlucky 13 has always had an eery vibe to it.

From History.com, read all about it:

What’s So Unlucky About the Number 13?
Unexplained fears surrounding the number 13 can be traced to ancient times.

> UNLUCKY 13

Date: August 9, 2021 02:45

Hairball
Minus the cancelled Jazz Fest, and including the private show for Kraft, the number of shows scheduled this tour is back to....................13.

I'm not superstitious (not much anyways), but unlucky 13 has always had an eery vibe to it.

From History.com, read all about it:

What’s So Unlucky About the Number 13?
Unexplained fears surrounding the number 13 can be traced to ancient times.

> UNLUCKY 13

Well, if we'd gotten to 13 AND THEN Charlie dropped, I'd say you were onto something, however...

Date: August 9, 2021 03:12

The only show that is a lock to happen is the Kraft party.

Date: August 9, 2021 03:34

The tour will roll on

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 9, 2021 03:58

Woz
The tour will roll on

Yep, Green Day’s tour with Fall Out Boy and Weezer, then Guns N Roses as well have gone forward.

Outside of festivals, it’s likely up to the individual artists.

Only way Tour doesn’t go forward imo is if Stones decide not to due to potential PR backlash.

That being said, I think they are hell bent on getting it completed.

Date: August 9, 2021 04:11

kv2915

That's probably true unfortunately, and it's easy money for the band...they're paid millions of dollars for a 14 song setlist performed in front of a few hundred people...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-09 04:13 by Hairball.

Date: August 9, 2021 04:50

kv2915

When you say "Kraft Party" I can't help but think of a Macaroni and Cheese and Ketchup buffet.

Date: August 9, 2021 04:58

treaclefingers
kv2915

When you say "Kraft Party" I can't help but think of a Macaroni and Cheese and Ketchup buffet.

Kraft singles came to mind as well….

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 9, 2021 05:09

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

Good luck, y'all.

Date: August 9, 2021 07:55

kv2915
treaclefingers
kv2915

Kraft singles came to mind as well….

Well...I for one hope that the Kraft show works. KraftWerk.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 9, 2021 08:29

Hairball
swimtothemoon
Beast
rustytrinket86
Hairball
From USA Today:

Large outdoor gatherings are safer than large indoor gatherings, but experts still warn that COVID-19 can be transmitted outside, especially in crowds.

“The main challenge there is going to be that any attendee won't know everyone else's vaccination status, and we are seeing that delta is much more transmissible than previous versions of COVID.
And so even if it’s a small proportion of people that are infected, the chance of it transmitting is going to be higher.” - Elizabeth Stuart, vice dean for education in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health

More > Coronavirus

And this is why I hope the concert is mask mandated. At the very least since they probably won’t do vaccination mandated. I don’t know but after the Delta surge, people given the option to go without masks and now CW dropping out… I‘ll probably sell my tickets. Holding out a bit longer hoping Covid restrictions are set in place. So far they seem pretty weak.

As if a mask mandate will stick. Who's going to police 50,000+ people wearing masks once they're inside? Dream on.....

In my opinion, wearing a mask is easy. This is a very simple task which
protects yourself and others. My opinion: there needs to be a mask mandate
at these shows. There will be way too many fans attending to provide safe social distancing. The bulk of the audience will comply. A few will not - but this is no excuse to abandon the idea of a mask mandate. A mask mandate
is necessary and will save lives. In my view, wearing a mask seems like a very small inconvenience and it continues to surprise me that people object.

If there is a mask mandate, will it also include members of the band?
If not, maybe the band can separate and protect themselves from the audience with a giant protective shield of plexiglass at the foot of the stage.
It would work both ways...members of the audience won't have to worry about Mick bellowing out germs all over the place

be careful, Plexiglass is reserved for Charlie.

plexi

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 9, 2021 09:54

Please don't start that "sacred plexiglass" thing again.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 9, 2021 12:28

JAZZ FEST 2021 WILL NOT OCCUR IN OCTOBER DUE TO COVID-19 CONDITIONS
2022 JAZZ & HERITAGE FESTIVAL SET FOR APRIL 29 – MAY 8

As a result of the current exponential growth of new COVID cases in New Orleans and the region and the ongoing public health emergency, we must sadly announce that the 2021 edition of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival presented by Shell, scheduled to take place October 8 –17, 2021, will not occur as planned. We now look forward to next spring, when we will present the Festival during its traditional timeframe. Next year’s dates are April 29 – May 8, 2022.

Ticketholders for both Festival weekends (including those that rolled over their tickets from 2020) will receive an email this week with details about the ticket refund and rollover process. All Wednesday, October 13 tickets will be automatically refunded.

In the meantime, we urge everyone to follow the guidelines and protocols put forth by public health officials, so that we can all soon experience together the joy that is Jazz Fest.

Bjornulf

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 9, 2021 15:30

Topi
This story got taken down, but briefly appeared online just days ago:

[web.archive.org]

Rick Lindsey-led Prime Insurance Company has insured the upcoming Rolling Stones US tour, providing cover in the event of civil authority shutdowns due to Covid-19 contamination at a time when most carriers are excluding communicable diseases from contingency policies, The Insurer can reveal.

Rick Lindsey insures some wild things.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home