Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Congrats to Giannis and the Milwaukee Bucks
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 21, 2021 19:13

The NBA Finals were a great series this year, and I admittedly, didn't expect the Bucks to come back and win it after dropping the first two games and looking so bad. But I am so excited for them, and Giannis in particular. Such a great story for a tremendous, humble player. A job well done, and one of the most exciting series in recent history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-21 19:49 by VoodooLounge13.

Re: OT: Congrats to Giannis and the Milwaukee Bucks
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 21, 2021 19:43

Mega congrats !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 21, 2021 19:45

Wait, Knicks didn't win it this year? ... well, maybe next year!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 21, 2021 20:00

I'm just glad it was a small market team. I'm sure the tv ratings weren't huge though.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 21, 2021 20:49

Yeah good for the Bucks. As a Hawks fan I was glad that Coach Bud (and Teague) get rings.

Giannis had 50 in the final including something like 17/19 on free throws.

Good stuff.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 21, 2021 21:02

Was hoping for a Phoenix win last night to take it to a game 7, and from there might have tossed a coin to who I was rooting for as I really didn't have a preference.
Congrats to Milwaukee as it's been a long time since they've won a championship, and sympathy for Phoenix who have never won.

Date: July 21, 2021 21:10

Natlanta
Yeah good for the Bucks. As a Hawks fan I was glad that Coach Bud (and Teague) get rings.

Giannis had 50 in the final including something like 17/19 on free throws.

Good stuff.

Yes, his FT turn around was insane!!! Must have been all he practiced during the off days!!! I'm a Celtics fan myself, and maybe the ratings weren't all that high, but it was an exciting series nonetheless!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 21, 2021 21:12

DGA35
I'm just glad it was a small market team. I'm sure the tv ratings weren't huge though.

That will be interesting to see. I know the NBA in the past desperately wanted the Knicks deep in the playoffs, but finally gave up and moved on. Now they have Brooklyn. I heard that ratings nationally have declined, but ratings for local broadcasts have gone up. I think some people tune out the NBA now, like NASCAR has been tuned out. It's all partisan now, even with sports. God forbid an athlete opens his mouth and uses his celebrity for good, instead of keeping their mouths shut like a performing monkey. I have a friend who quit listening to the Stones because of Sweetneocon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-21 21:12 by 24FPS.

Date: July 21, 2021 21:50

Yes, I would love to see them repeat, but realistically if a healthy Lakers or Nets had awaited them, or do next season, not sure that they could move on. Heck, even the Hawks surprised me. Didn't expect them to be so good so soon. The Sixers need work - Simmons has to go. And as much as I love Doc, between this season's outing and blowing the 3-0 lead with the LAC, I am no longer thinking him to be the coach I used to...

Date: July 21, 2021 21:53

I think people in general tune out the NBA because they're all seen as spoiled pansies, and maybe a lot of em, but there are still individual players who make it most enjoyable. Giannis is one of them. Steph Curry was as well. Despite his shenanigan's to get his rings, KD is still the play I most enjoy watching play. His touch is absolutely amazing. To me, I think he's better all-around than Lebron. Booker really proved himself during these playoffs I thought and playing thru the broken nose certainly earned my respect.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 21, 2021 22:18

Bah humbug!

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: July 22, 2021 00:58

Bucks in 6 baby! What a great series, and the Deer District was insane - fifth largest "city" in the state on Tuesday night.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 22, 2021 01:02

Lebrons be like...yo man wuddup wid dat?

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 22, 2021 22:05

I agree, good to see a small market midwest team win. And it is fun to watch some of the more unselfish players these days like Steph Curry. I really didn't know how good KD was until he won the championship with Golden State. He went to a team that was already great and elevated himself even above it.

Similarly, I liked seeing Lebron bring a championship to Cleveland, but can't stand him otherwise. I really hate all the faking injury to get foul shots, they should start calling embellishment and award foul shots to the opposing player. Too many stoppages for foul shots these days to guys jumping into the defense while up in the air or sticking their leg out, etc. The NBA needs to fix that.

Date: July 22, 2021 22:24

kovach
I agree, good to see a small market midwest team win. And it is fun to watch some of the more unselfish players these days like Steph Curry. I really didn't know how good KD was until he won the championship with Golden State. He went to a team that was already great and elevated himself even above it.

Similarly, I liked seeing Lebron bring a championship to Cleveland, but can't stand him otherwise. I really hate all the faking injury to get foul shots, they should start calling embellishment and award foul shots to the opposing player. Too many stoppages for foul shots these days to guys jumping into the defense while up in the air or sticking their leg out, etc. The NBA needs to fix that.

Harden is another one who has made a career out of that very thing! Can't stand him either.

Date: July 22, 2021 22:28

I was a huge Bulls fan in the late 80s and 90s but I lost interest in the NBA once Jordan retired. Apart from Lebron and Steph and maybe a few others, I wouldn't recognize any of the current NBA players.
I know NBA got more popular in Canada with the Raptors winning the title recently but I can't remember the last time I watched an entire game on tv. Perhaps my interest would have been different in the 90s had their been twitter/instagram etc. and players showing off their fancy cars/jewellery, etc. It's no wonder a lot of NBA players are broke within 10 years of retirement.
Only saw 3 Vancouver Grizzlies games when they were here, 2 w/Jordan and the Bulls and one with the Lakers when they had Shaq/Kobe.

Date: July 23, 2021 00:01

I think a lot of people feel similarly. Ironically basketball is one of only two sports that I can actually watch the whole game and not get bored. The other being soccer.

Date: July 23, 2021 01:24

VoodooLounge13
I think a lot of people feel similarly. Ironically basketball is one of only two sports that I can actually watch the whole game and not get bored. The other being soccer.

I usually just tune into the last half of the fourth quarter for games. The last 6 minutes of the game usually takes half an hour with all the time outs! I personally can't watch soccer, just kicking the ball back and forth to each other with very few shots on goal. A 0-0 tie is not that uncommon! Baseball takes so long, too. Most games seem to take over 3 hours now.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2021 04:00

DGA35
I was a huge Bulls fan in the late 80s and 90s but I lost interest in the NBA once Jordan retired. Apart from Lebron and Steph and maybe a few others, I wouldn't recognize any of the current NBA players.
I know NBA got more popular in Canada with the Raptors winning the title recently but I can't remember the last time I watched an entire game on tv. Perhaps my interest would have been different in the 90s had their been twitter/instagram etc. and players showing off their fancy cars/jewellery, etc. It's no wonder a lot of NBA players are broke within 10 years of retirement.
Only saw 3 Vancouver Grizzlies games when they were here, 2 w/Jordan and the Bulls and one with the Lakers when they had Shaq/Kobe.

Ha ha...I had a "Jam Pack"...I think I saw a Bulls game but I remember Jordan didn't play. Did that happen?

Date: July 23, 2021 04:53

DGA35
VoodooLounge13

I usually just tune into the last half of the fourth quarter for games. The last 6 minutes of the game usually takes half an hour with all the time outs! I personally can't watch soccer, just kicking the ball back and forth to each other with very few shots on goal. A 0-0 tie is not that uncommon! Baseball takes so long, too. Most games seem to take over 3 hours now.

Soccer to me is like a live action chess match. The substitutions, whom you start where, the configuration, and the passing. It’s unparalleled. I might be biased tho having played thru high school and then having coached several teams for another 6+ years.

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: July 23, 2021 05:48

While the 'purists' were ready to put an asterisk on this year's NBA playoffs because of the number of prominent All-Stars felled by injury, which thereby, in their words, 'diluted the field', I still felt it was going to be incredibly competitive...and was proven correct. What led to this twist? Was it Karma? Destiny? Kismet?

In a day and age where NBA superstars have become mercenary guns-for-hire (who's next...Lillard?), it was so refreshing to see Giannis' loyalty and commitment to the city of Milwaukee...not to mention his epic performance...result in a championship.

And how can you not like the guy? Always accommodating with the fans, approachable with the media, confident in his ability yet humble and grateful for how far he's come since his street-vendor days as a youth in Greece, he's definitely earned the accolades and admiration. There may be some holes in his game but Giannis gives 100% every night, every play.

And then he shows up at Chick-Fil-A the day after Game 6 and orders 50..."not 49, not 51"...chicken nuggets with the championship and MVP trophies at his feet before being surrounded by a throng of adoring fans. Good stuff indeed!

But consider this: had Kevin Durant's toe had been an inch or so behind rather than touching the 3-point line on his game-tying, buzzer-beating shot in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals vs. the Bucks, none of this would have happened. Giannis would not have gotten his title...and we would have been deprived of one of the greatest individual Finals' performances ever.

"Brought on by a simple twist of fate"...

Date: July 27, 2021 18:58

FancyBluesMan
While the 'purists' were ready to put an asterisk on this year's NBA playoffs because of the number of prominent All-Stars felled by injury, which thereby, in their words, 'diluted the field', I still felt it was going to be incredibly competitive...and was proven correct. What led to this twist? Was it Karma? Destiny? Kismet?

In a day and age where NBA superstars have become mercenary guns-for-hire (who's next...Lillard?), it was so refreshing to see Giannis' loyalty and commitment to the city of Milwaukee...not to mention his epic performance...result in a championship.

And how can you not like the guy? Always accommodating with the fans, approachable with the media, confident in his ability yet humble and grateful for how far he's come since his street-vendor days as a youth in Greece, he's definitely earned the accolades and admiration. There may be some holes in his game but Giannis gives 100% every night, every play.

And then he shows up at Chick-Fil-A the day after Game 6 and orders 50..."not 49, not 51"...chicken nuggets with the championship and MVP trophies at his feet before being surrounded by a throng of adoring fans. Good stuff indeed!

But consider this: had Kevin Durant's toe had been an inch or so behind rather than touching the 3-point line on his game-tying, buzzer-beating shot in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals vs. the Bucks, none of this would have happened. Giannis would not have gotten his title...and we would have been deprived of one of the greatest individual Finals' performances ever.

"Brought on by a simple twist of fate"...

Yes, I fully expect Lillard to come back from the Olympics and demand a trade - just a couple years removed from insisting he wanted to play his whole career in Portland, no matter what that looked like.

Loved that video of Giannis at Chik-Fil-A! Hysterical!!

No reason to put an asterisk on this season.

There were times I battled myself during that Bucks-Nets series with whom I really wanted to win. Really wanted the Bucks to win it all, but again, KD is just such a special player that it's hard to root against him. And he did his best to really carry the team thru most of that series. I think in the end he was just gassed.

Can't wait to see what free agency does for next season. I think the whole resting during the regular season to be healthy for the play-offs (Leonard) is absurd. I think he's a bit overrated, too. Had a great run in Toronto, but isn't a star, team-carrying caliber player on his own. George redeemed himself nicely these play-offs, but he, too, needs support. I think Lebron's time has come and gone now. The Lakers have age and size working against them (size is often prone to injury, AD). The Hawks and Suns will only get better. Wish my Celtics would do something, but they're already over cap and probably going to be looking to shed more than Kemba. Sad really.

Date: August 2, 2021 19:35

I see Lebron has his new Big 3 with Westbrook now. Not a bad move really, considering Lebron's age, and Davis' oft-injured nature. Talk of Lillard to the Dubs - that would be interesting. Siakim possible as well to GS. Don't really see Simmons going there. He'd be a good fit on the Lakers if he would take a drastic pay cut, where he could pass to the other 3 all day long and not have to worry about shooting ever!!! LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1439
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home