Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bass on Too Much Blood
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 21, 2021 01:16

Bill’s bass on this track is awesome.If you isolate without the vocals you can reallyhear his great playing

Re: Bass on Too Much Blood
Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 21, 2021 02:50

Must be Hell is another one.

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: July 21, 2021 03:23

How strange. I almost made this exact topic yesterday because I was listening to Undercover album and during Too Much Blood the bass really sounded great. I had to listen again because it sounded so good to me and I guess I’d never realized that before.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 21, 2021 10:42

The first time I recognized Bill's great playing was by listening to a Hampton 1981 bootleg. The bass is very much upfront in the mix and you can hear every single note he was playing. Awesome, fantastic, unrivalled.

Daryl's definitely a great bassplayer but Bill's playing was outstanding and gave the Stones' rhythms the certain something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-21 12:29 by Meise.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: July 21, 2021 11:28

Of course Bill is greatest bass player In history

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: July 21, 2021 11:38

RaahenTiikeri

Ehm... jury's out on this one winking smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 21, 2021 12:32

The more I listen to the Stones music the more I realize how integral his bass was .Even live stuff like Ladies and Gentlemen his playing gives it that unique sound

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 21, 2021 14:04

Meise
The first time I recognized Bill's great playing was by listening to a Hampton 1981 bootleg. The bass is very much upfront in the mix and you can hear every single note he was playing. Awesome, fantastic, unrivalled.

Daryl's definitely a great bassplayer but Bill's playing was outstanding and gave the Stones' rhythms the certain something.
Bill is the best . Daryl's live sound is so low in the mix and it is a disservice to his playing and skills on the fretboard . They are 2 different bassists in style , but make no mistake that Daryl has the job because of his super skill set !

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 21, 2021 16:30

Taylor1
The more I listen to the Stones music the more I realize how integral his bass was .Even live stuff like Ladies and Gentlemen his playing gives it that unique sound

It's inspired. Love Gimme Shelter on Brussels.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 21, 2021 21:32

TheGreek
Meise

Bill is the best . Daryl's live sound is so low in the mix and it is a disservice to his playing and skills on the fretboard . They are 2 different bassists in style , but make no mistake that Daryl has the job because of his super skill set !

So when is Darryl going to start using those super skills to enhance Stones music? He's had almost 30 years to leave his imprint and it's hardly footsteps in the sand. I can't think of a single Stones cut he's been on that I can say, 'Oh, that's Darryl'. There's nothing distinctive about his playing. There's no emotion. Bill propelled Stones music, and often corralled the music on stage when it got chaotic. I know Mick told him he didn't have to copy Bill, but I don't hear the great Darryl Jones contributing anything of value to Stones' music. He's not even funky.

Mick Taylor was different than Brian. Ron Wood was different from Mick Taylor. Both left their mark. Darryl is just there. Which I guess from a professional standpoint that's all Mick wanted.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 21, 2021 22:44

To be honest I don't recognize Bill's style in this song. So I don't know, but on that album the bass was also played by Robbie Shakespeare, but I don't know about that song.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 21, 2021 23:32

Testify
To be honest I don't recognize Bill's style in this song. So I don't know, but on that album the bass was also played by Robbie Shakespeare, but I don't know about that song.

My thoughts as well, was listening to the alternate outtake and dance version on youtube after seeing this thread and it is not reminding me of Bill. More like something Robbie would do.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 22, 2021 00:29

Jagger said at the time of its release, "I had made out a very honest burden of mind before everyone had arrived one night. It was just Charlie [Watts] and Bill [Wyman]. And one of our roadies called Jim Barber, he was playing guitar on it too. And I just started playing this riff I had, with this middle part, I didn't have any words to it and then I just suddenly started rapping out these words which are the ones you hear." Barber remarked that "Mick asked me if I could do an 'Andy Summers' on the track."
Drums: Charlie Watts
Simmons (electronic) drums: Sly Dunbar
Bass: Bill Wyman
Electric guitars: Jim Barber, Keith Richards & Ron Wood
Vocals: Mick Jagger
Keyboards: Chuck Leavell
Horns: CHOPS (The Sugarhill Horn Section)
Percussion (bongos, congas, etc.): Sly Dunbar and/or Martin Ditcham and/or Brahms Coundoul and/or Moustapha Cisse

[en.wikipedia.org].
[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 22, 2021 00:33

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 22, 2021 01:14

Yeah check out the Art Collins tapes....man, you can jam to the evolution of the tune for like, days....

Date: July 22, 2021 05:08

skytrench
Testify

My thoughts as well, was listening to the alternate outtake and dance version on youtube after seeing this thread and it is not reminding me of Bill. More like something Robbie would do.

You can never be quite sure about Bill's playing. He played bass for a Muddy Waters concert in Montreaux in '74, backing up Muddy, plus the opening act Junior Wells and Buddy Guy. You wouldn't know it was Bill, it just sounds damn good. I think he had a Stones sound for the Stones, and was quite capable of playing whatever was needed for different artists.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 22, 2021 12:51

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 22, 2021 13:42

Thanks Mathijs, guess that settles it, Bill is the bassist! Never thought I'd listen to that track so many times :-)

Date: July 22, 2021 14:15

24FPS

Mick Taylor was different than Brian. Ron Wood was different from Mick Taylor. Both left their mark. Darryl is just there. Which I guess from a professional standpoint that's all Mick wanted.

As far as I understand it they let Charlie decide to take Darryl as a bassist.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 22, 2021 15:49

shattered

...and Pretty Beat Up too!

Date: July 22, 2021 16:05

Darryl Jones may be techinically better than Bill. Years light far away from him. Ok-

Darryl has played with Miles Davis. Ok.

But ....my friends....no Bill no Stones sound. Period. Irrespective of the recorded songs which he has not played bass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-22 16:06 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 22, 2021 20:06

RaahenTiikeri

I wanted to Quote several comments here but am going with this one while Enjoying them All. Great thread m Bill.

Date: July 23, 2021 05:54

emotionalbarbecue
Darryl Jones may be techinically better than Bill. Years light far away from him. Ok-

But ....my friends....no Bill no Stones sound. Period. Irrespective of the recorded songs which he has not played bass.

I don't even know what technically better means. Bill is just good. Go listen to 'Drinkin' TNT 'N' Smokin' Dynamite'. Bill is amazing. He SOUNDS better than Darryl. What more could possibly matter in music? It's like those guitar shredders that go nowhere. Or the bass players in the 70s that would noodle around forever. Bill can place one note, as he did on No Expectations, and it's perfect. I've never felt any emotion from the bass on a Stones cut since Bill left. Except for Voodoo Lounge where Darryl played like Bill on You Got Me Rocking.

Date: July 23, 2021 08:05

24FPS
emotionalbarbecue

I don't even know what technically better means. Bill is just good. Go listen to 'Drinkin' TNT 'N' Smokin' Dynamite'. Bill is amazing. He SOUNDS better than Darryl. What more could possibly matter in music? It's like those guitar shredders that go nowhere. Or the bass players in the 70s that would noodle around forever. Bill can place one note, as he did on No Expectations, and it's perfect. I've never felt any emotion from the bass on a Stones cut since Bill left. Except for Voodoo Lounge where Darryl played like Bill on You Got Me Rocking.

thumbs up

Date: July 23, 2021 10:46

KRiffhard
shattered

Great bass by Keith there thumbs up

Date: July 23, 2021 12:10

Buddy Guy & Junior Wells With Bill Wyman, Pinetop Perkins, Terry Taylor & Dallas Taylor ?– Drinkin' Tnt 'N' Smokin' Dynamite(1982)

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-23 12:10 by emotionalbarbecue.

Date: July 23, 2021 12:40

DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
shattered

Great bass by Keith there thumbs up

I love it!!!!

Date: July 23, 2021 18:35

emotionalbarbecue
Buddy Guy & Junior Wells With Bill Wyman, Pinetop Perkins, Terry Taylor & Dallas Taylor ?– Drinkin' Tnt 'N' Smokin' Dynamite(1982)

video: [www.youtube.com]

Percolatin'!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 23, 2021 23:38

Undercover is one of a few albums that I have to listen to completely beginning to end.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 24, 2021 00:24

Heck .... you gotta lotta livin' ta still do

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home