Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Golden Album [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)]
Posted by: wolfy ()
Date: July 17, 2021 17:55

I unfortunately missed out on this reissue, and now it's $100 on ebay. I have a question:

The LP label of the original 1966 LP says Stereophonic, but the reissue description on CDJapan says Mono, is this a discrepancy?

[www.discogs.com]

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Cardboard sleeve reissue from The Rolling Stones. The mini LP faithfully replicates the design of the first pressing LP released in 1966. Comes with a replicated obi and calendar (miniature version). Use the audio tracks featuring remastering in 2016 (MONO). Comes with lyrics and a description. Features the high-fidelity SHM-CD format. Japanese original release.

Does that mean that the source was from the 2006 Mono box set?

Re: Golden Album [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)]
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 17, 2021 18:50

It was cancelled before it hit the shelves. Officially it was never sold. Those copies on Ebay are either scam or something really strange. I would not risk to get one from ebay.
The sound source supposed to be 2016 mono master like in the box set.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 17, 2021 19:00

Golden Album (1966, re-issue 30-Jun-2021) - see also here: [iorr.org] . This release was cancelled by Universal Music Japan on 18-May-2021.

Date: July 17, 2021 19:20

wolfy

The LP label of the original 1966 LP says Stereophonic, but the reissue description on CDJapan says Mono, is this a discrepancy?

Maybe that's why it was cancelled?

Cover UICY-79658 - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] , [www.HMV.co.jp] , Large picture

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-19 00:10 by Irix.

Date: July 17, 2021 19:25

A completed eBay auction from June, 2 copies sold:

[www.ebay.com]

Must be bootleg copies? None of the eBay auctions show any photos other than the front cover. And the shm is not listed on discogs.

Date: July 17, 2021 19:29

Irix
wolfy

Maybe that's why it was cancelled?
The thing is that most tracks on that album were never issued in stereo. Electronically Reproduced Stereo - possible. True wide stereo - not a chance for all tracks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-17 23:38 by ironbelly.

Date: July 18, 2021 10:30

wolfy

A completed eBay auction from June, 2 copies sold

And then the purchase was cancelled and refunded since the item could not be delivered (description says pre-order). Afaik eBay doesn't display publicly if an auction/purchase was refunded afterwards (except the buyer mentions the refund in his feedback).

Posted by: Ragnbert ()
Date: July 18, 2021 15:54

There are many discrepansies when it comes to Mono vs Stereo and the ROlling Stones. Both versions of Out of our heads can be found in both stereo and mono
even though we know that there never were a true stereo version of that album.
Looking at early Stones on Spotify there is often remarks like "mono version" when we all know that there is just a mono version available, but sometimes it says so but it actually is the stereo version. Very confusing. I wonder what they mean. COuld it be so that Out of our heads in stereo has stereo grooves but with the same signal in both so the end result is mono anyway? Would such version sound better on stereo equipment with a finer stylus than a mono groove record with such stylus???

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 18, 2021 18:04

I don't understand why you would want mono tracks on SHM CD. I have some mono Spencer Davis tracks on a Steve Winwood SHM CD collection. They're nice, and clean, but the selling point for SHM CD is the glorious surround sound.

Date: July 18, 2021 18:19

24FPS
I don't understand why you would want mono tracks on SHM CD. I have some mono Spencer Davis tracks on a Steve Winwood SHM CD collection. They're nice, and clean, but the selling point for SHM CD is the glorious surround sound.
SHM CD has nothing to do with surround sound. SHM (Super High Material) is just a special material that allows less number of errors during production and playback.
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]
I.e. in theory and on high quality equipment you will get better sound no matter mono or stereo. As a matter of fact mono CD in redbook format means you will have two channels (left and right) with absolutely identical digital content (no phase or volume shift, no pressing or read errors). These conditions (in theory) can be achieved better on SHM CD.

Date: July 18, 2021 18:37

Ragnbert
There are many discrepansies when it comes to Mono vs Stereo and the ROlling Stones. Both versions of Out of our heads can be found in both stereo and mono
even though we know that there never were a true stereo version of that album.
Looking at early Stones on Spotify there is often remarks like "mono version" when we all know that there is just a mono version available, but sometimes it says so but it actually is the stereo version. Very confusing. I wonder what they mean. COuld it be so that Out of our heads in stereo has stereo grooves but with the same signal in both so the end result is mono anyway? Would such version sound better on stereo equipment with a finer stylus than a mono groove record with such stylus???
I would say both OOOH can be found in mono and fake (electronically reproduced) stereo. There are only a few tracks from that album that were mixed in true stereo and widely available
-Heart of Stone
-The Last Time (bootlegs only)
-Play With Fire
-(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
The rest are usually mono only (at least in digital world). For old vinyl you can find STEREO PS429 with electronically reproduced stereo. Which is not true stereo per se.

Date: July 18, 2021 21:36

I messaged the eBay seller (japanmonostyle) to inquire about the details and availability, but didn't get a reply.

Date: July 18, 2021 21:55

wolfy

I messaged the eBay seller (japanmonostyle) to inquire about the details and availability, but didn't get a reply.

Because eBay says: "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available." - [www.eBay.com] .

The Golden Album is officially cancelled (before it was released) by Universal Music Japan since 18-May-2021. And this has already been told you twice in this very thread.

Date: July 18, 2021 22:36

This is the auction that I was referring to:
[www.ebay.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 18, 2021 22:42

ironbelly
24FPS
SHM CD has nothing to do with surround sound. SHM (Super High Material) is just a special material that allows less number of errors during production and playback.
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]
I.e. in theory and on high quality equipment you will get better sound no matter mono or stereo. As a matter of fact mono CD in redbook format means you will have two channels (left and right) with absolutely identical digital content (no phase or volume shift, no pressing or read errors). These conditions (in theory) can be achieved better on SHM CD.

Yes, you will get the best mono sound you can get. But it's not worth it to have it on SHM CD. That's why I don't bother to get earlier Stones work on SHM CD. There's not enough extra oomph there over the 2002 ABKCO SACD to justify the extra expense. Or even some West German CDs of the early work. I don't go by what I'm supposed to hear, I go what I hear.

Date: July 18, 2021 23:15

wolfy

This is the auction that I was referring to: [www.ebay.com]

But above you posted a different auction - [iorr.org] .

The seller japanmonostyle has an 98.5% ranking and 3 negative feedbacks just in the last month (no communication, sent false item, listed item was not on hand). Why do you believe eBay-sellers more than Universal Music?

Posted by: Ragnbert ()
Date: July 20, 2021 12:29

Yes I know. Even the european version of the US OOOH LK 4725 is available with a stereo label SKL 4725 but the sound is not even electronically reprocessed for stereo. Also OOOH LK 4733 ia available as SKL 4733 but there is no stereo either. Even those tracks that you mention that are available in stereo are just mono on the albums. The question remains. What is the point of releasen both Decca versions of the albums in both mono and stereo when they avtually are only mono? Who is Decca trying to fool?

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: December 19, 2021 18:26

I noticed at Side 1 the medley I'm alright-Everybody needs somebody to love (2:54) and that puzzles me. What was the origin of this track and where has it been released elsewhere?

Alex.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 19, 2021 20:50

24FPS
ironbelly
24FPS
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Yes, you will get the best mono sound you can get. But it's not worth it to have it on SHM CD. That's why I don't bother to get earlier Stones work on SHM CD. There's not enough extra oomph there over the 2002 ABKCO SACD to justify the extra expense. Or even some West German CDs of the early work. I don't go by what I'm supposed to hear, I go what I hear.

I think you should reread his reply as your reply to that reiterates your original position, which is an incorrect posit.

Date: December 20, 2021 13:00

alexander paul
I noticed at Side 1 the medley I'm alright-Everybody needs somebody to love (2:54) and that puzzles me. What was the origin of this track and where has it been released elsewhere?

Alex.
Most probably, that is a 'Frankenstein' from Got Live EP. But somebody who owns original Japanese LP can give you better answer.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 20, 2021 13:13

Is there a list of all the Stones’ genuine 1964-65 stereo mixes?

Date: December 20, 2021 13:20

Big Al

Is there a list of all the Stones’ genuine 1964-65 stereo mixes?

Maybe this one helps: The Rolling Stones - Stereo Masters - [iorr.org] .

Date: December 20, 2021 23:20

ironbelly
alexander paul

Alex.

Most probably, that is a 'Frankenstein' from Got Live EP. But somebody who owns original Japanese LP can give you better answer.

Must have something to do with the EP since it's mentioned in the booklet of the 1966 Golden Album (lower left corner, #3):

Picture-Source - [StonesWorldCollection.Blogspot.com]

Detail:

Got Live If You Want It! (EP) - Wikipedia:

"Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" - Runtime 0:36
"I'm Alright" - Runtime 2:22
Medley of them on the Golden Album - Runtime 2:54

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-20 23:45 by Irix.

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: December 21, 2021 13:01

Thanks Irix and Ironbelly, was definitely a strange combination (Frankenstein) indeed, first I'm alright and then as second part Everybody needs.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: December 22, 2021 17:20

ironbelly
alexander paul

Alex.

Yes, this IS a Frankenstein-track from the GLIYWI-EP, - and it is unique, and, - at least to my knowledge - never released elsewhere.
Furthermore it is in a wide, pretty well produced Electronically Re Processed Stereo.
It has a sort of parallel on Japanese box set “A Golden History Of The Rolling Stones” 1971, - where “We Want The Stones” is spliced with “Come On”

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home