Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Jones' Music Plans After the Stones. Interesting stuff!
Date: July 14, 2021 19:20

Here's another video from the Yesterday's Paper youtube channel. Some interesting stuff about Brian's music plans after the Stones. Some info I hadn't heard about. Mickey Waller was going to be the drummer of his new band and, apparently, Brian wanted to go for a Creedence Clearwater Revival-type sound.

Check it out:

[youtu.be]

Re: Brian Jones' Music Plans After the Stones. Interesting stuff!
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: July 14, 2021 22:14

thanks very much, some information are new to me too, beautiful photos

here the article is in full...
[rollingstonesdata.com]

discussed here earlier...
[iorr.org]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 15, 2021 00:01

I didn't know Micky Waller sat in for Charlie back in the club days! I have a biography of Alexis Korner and it mentions musicians that got together with Brian to rehearse with. I'll have to dig the book up to see the names again.

Date: July 15, 2021 00:18

DGA35
I didn't know Micky Waller sat in for Charlie back in the club days! I have a biography of Alexis Korner and it mentions musicians that got together with Brian to rehearse with. I'll have to dig the book up to see the names again.

I didn't know that either. What an amazing drummer. He also played in some of those excellent early solo albums by Rod Stewart.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 15, 2021 00:29

Great Interview. I didn't catch any obvious mistakes. I still don't understand. The Stones DID return to roots music. It's what they were doing on Beggars, and Let It Bleed. Maybe Brian couldn't stand not being the leader. But wouldn't history have repeated itself? Brian hadn't been a singer to that point. He would have needed a vocalist. What if that vocalist got the bulk of the attention, again? I guess Brian thought he had to be the leader, when he obviously wasn't up to the task with the Stones.

John Fogerty was an excellent guitarist, songwriter, and front man. Brian was none of those. At one time he was a good guitarist but let it atrophy. I don't see a similarity between the two at all.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 15, 2021 00:49

Interesting premise that Brian wanted to have a band that emulated CCR. Swamp rock, the backbone of a number of CCR/Fogerty songs, is akin to southern soul (a whole genre worth exploring on its own) which is related to the Stax/Volt sound coming out of Memphis in the 1960s, early 1970s. These sounds may have been what Brian liked as they have a 2nd/3rd cousin relationship to the blues. Coupled with an interest in world beat music, one can only wonder where Brian's music muse may have led him if he had had the discipline to get his sh*t together and realize the potential of his talent.

Date: July 15, 2021 00:51

24FPS
Great Interview. I didn't catch any obvious mistakes. I still don't understand. The Stones DID return to roots music. It's what they were doing on Beggars, and Let It Bleed. Maybe Brian couldn't stand not being the leader. But wouldn't history have repeated itself? Brian hadn't been a singer to that point. He would have needed a vocalist. What if that vocalist got the bulk of the attention, again? I guess Brian thought he had to be the leader, when he obviously wasn't up to the task with the Stones.

John Fogerty was an excellent guitarist, songwriter, and front man. Brian was none of those. At one time he was a good guitarist but let it atrophy. I don't see a similarity between the two at all.

I think Brian's problem is that he wanted to be a leader but he wasn't made to be a leader. He was the kind of musician who was great at working within the context of a band and contributing to ideas that were presented to him. Some people are great at coming up with ideas and some people are great at contributing to those ideas and I guess that's the difference between Jagger/Richards and Brian Jones.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 15, 2021 01:35

In 1968 it appears he was interested in electronic , spacey , music, like his mellotron on Stray Cat Blues and Jigsaw Puzzle.I think by 1969 Keith wanted a second guitarist to play blues rock.Brian euither wouldn’t or couldn’t by that time. So I think it just wasn’t the drugs or visa issues that led him to being asked to leave.

Date: July 15, 2021 02:41

Taylor1
In 1968 it appears he was interested in electronic , spacey , music, like his mellotron on Stray Cat Blues and Jigsaw Puzzle.I think by 1969 Keith wanted a second guitarist to play blues rock.Brian euither wouldn’t or couldn’t by that time. So I think it just wasn’t the drugs or visa issues that led him to being asked to leave.

I think they had moved beyond him. It was not the time for exotic instruments, it was the time of the electric guitar. He may have been the best musician in the band when they started, but the others had come miles in their abilities, and cohesiveness as a band. Brian didn't write songs. What was he going to do? Go back to being a cover band? With less talented musicians? This all just sounds like pipe dreams.

Date: July 15, 2021 17:12

From what I've read, Brian apparently demoed a few of his own songs in the weeks before his death. Two of the songs he demoed were called "Has Anybody Seen My Baby?" and "Chow Time".

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 15, 2021 17:21

Memo From Tina Turner
From what I've read, Brian apparently demoed a few of his own songs in the weeks before his death. Two of the songs he demoed were called "Has Anybody Seen My Baby?" and "Chow Time".

Brian’s journey was vaguely similar to Syd Barrett’s. Have there been any books written on their parallels?

Date: July 15, 2021 19:42

NashvilleBlues
Memo From Tina Turner

Brian’s journey was vaguely similar to Syd Barrett’s. Have there been any books written on their parallels?

I dunno but I agree, there are similarities.

Date: July 15, 2021 19:56

Memo From Tina Turner
NashvilleBlues
Memo From Tina Turner

Except Barret was a singer, and a songwriter.

Date: July 16, 2021 00:16

24FPS
Memo From Tina Turner
NashvilleBlues
Memo From Tina Turner

Hence, the word vaguely. There are clearly similarities. Both band founders/leaders who became estranged from the bands they founded. Plus, both The Stones and Pink Floyd’s most well-known work is after their founders were out of the band.

Date: July 16, 2021 02:46

According to someone who commented on the video, the singer in Brian's band was going to be Cleo Sylvestre. According to her wikipedia page: "In 1964 she released a single, "To Know Him Is to Love Him", under the name "Cleo", produced by Andrew Loog Oldham and backed by The Rolling Stones. After Brian Jones left the Rolling Stones in 1969, she agreed to rehearse with his new band."

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: July 16, 2021 04:33

I've heard the CCR claim before but not Waller. Interesting bit, though.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 16, 2021 05:03

24FPS
Taylor1

I think they had moved beyond him. It was not the time for exotic instruments, it was the time of the electric guitar. He may have been the best musician in the band when they started, but the others had come miles in their abilities, and cohesiveness as a band. Brian didn't write songs. What was he going to do? Go back to being a cover band? With less talented musicians? This all just sounds like pipe dreams.

Fully agree with you. But there's this quote by Alexis Korner at 2:20:

"I'm not sure that he'd have made it. At the time that he died, he was sure that he would have made it and that's all that's important."

Looks like even Alexis wasn't convinced, and he was one of the few who actually heard and played on some of his new music.

Speaking of parallels, Mick Taylor comes to mind. Incredible contributions, after a while not happy with his role in the band, thinking that he could stand well on his own feet, only to realize that his solo career never fulfilled the (potential) promise. I tend to think that Brian's career after the Stones would have gone a similar way. But, as Alexis said, it's not important what we think. it's important that Brian was convinced when he died.

Date: July 16, 2021 06:21

NashvilleBlues
24FPS
Memo From Tina Turner
NashvilleBlues
Memo From Tina Turner

Hence, the word vaguely. There are clearly similarities. Both band founders/leaders who became estranged from the bands they founded. Plus, both The Stones and Pink Floyd’s most well-known work is after their founders were out of the band.

Vaguely. Satisfaction? Jumping Jack Flash? Street Fighting Man? Ruby Tuesday?

Date: July 16, 2021 14:53

24FPS
NashvilleBlues
24FPS
Memo From Tina Turner
NashvilleBlues
Memo From Tina Turner

My post was confusing. I meant most (more than 1/2) of The Stones most well-known songs were after Brian was out. You’re a big fan. You know. You listed 4 songs. How many warhorses do they have? More than 8.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: July 16, 2021 18:52

How long was it from the date Brian was canned to the date he drowned? A month? And wasn’t he in a sad state (drug addled, depressed) during this time?

I’ll have to read the Spanish Tony book again.

Date: July 16, 2021 19:43

NashvilleBlues
24FPS
NashvilleBlues
24FPS
Memo From Tina Turner
NashvilleBlues
Memo From Tina Turner

My post was confusing. I meant most (more than 1/2) of The Stones most well-known songs were after Brian was out. You’re a big fan. You know. You listed 4 songs. How many warhorses do they have? More than 8.

Just playing Devils Advocate. I think some of their earlier songs would be warhorses, or at least rarities, if they'd just play the damn things.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 16, 2021 20:35

thomashanck
thanks very much, some information are new to me too, beautiful photos

here the article is in full...
[rollingstonesdata.com]

discussed here earlier...
[iorr.org]

'Bravo' is a German tabloid magazine for teenagers… not a reliable source

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 16, 2021 21:18

24FPS
NashvilleBlues
24FPS
Memo From Tina Turner
NashvilleBlues
Memo From Tina Turner

NashvilleBlues, you are comparing 7 years of Rolling Stones with Brian with 52 years without Brian. That's ridiculous. Percentage wise the Stones made more warhorses during those first 7 years than during the other 52 years. Also, who decides what warhorses are? 24FPS mentioned four, but The Last Time, Paint it Black (!) several Aftermath songs, Let's Spend the Night Together to me and many others are also warhorses. Several amazing cover songs (like Little Red Rooster, etc.) could easily be listed as warhorses.
Everybody knows Brian's unique contributions to the Stones music as well as his limitations and short coming. To find out about Brian's music plans, you have to enter the "parallel world" (dangerous though, because you might not be able to return to this world smiling bouncing smiley)).
As and old fan I treasure the memories of the "Brian days" as well as the "Mick T. days" and all that came after that and at this point I look ahead of what hopefully will come this year (new album?) and next year (some special concerts).
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: July 16, 2021 21:46

georgie48
24FPS
NashvilleBlues
24FPS
Memo From Tina Turner
NashvilleBlues
Memo From Tina Turner

NashvilleBlues, you are comparing 7 years of Rolling Stones with Brian with 52 years without Brian. That's ridiculous. Percentage wise the Stones made more warhorses during those first 7 years than during the other 52 years. Also, who decides what warhorses are? 24FPS mentioned four, but The Last Time, Paint it Black (!) several Aftermath songs, Let's Spend the Night Together to me and many others are also warhorses. Several amazing cover songs (like Little Red Rooster, etc.) could easily be listed as warhorses.
Everybody knows Brian's unique contributions to the Stones music as well as his limitations and short coming. To find out about Brian's music plans, you have to enter the "parallel world" (dangerous though, because you might not be able to return to this world smiling bouncing smiley)).
As and old fan I treasure the memories of the "Brian days" as well as the "Mick T. days" and all that came after that and at this point I look ahead of what hopefully will come this year (new album?) and next year (some special concerts).
smileys with beer

I was comparing Jones vs Barrett.

Barrett’s time in Floyd compared to their whole career is similar to Jones’ in The Stones, percentage wise, roughly.

24 was disagreeing with the fact that most of The Stones well-known songs were after Brian. Then 24 admitted to playing devil’s advocate.

That is all.

And I love the hell out of Brian Jones. And Syd.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 16, 2021 23:19

Who was the member of the Yardbi who looked like Brian

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 17, 2021 09:38

Memo From Tina Turner
DGA35

I didn't know that either. What an amazing drummer. He also played in some of those excellent early solo albums by Rod Stewart.

I found the Korner book, said Brian wanted to put together a British version of his current favourite band, CCR. Alexis organized rehearsals for the various musicians invited down to the farm, including the late Vincent Crane and Carl Palmer, then of Atomic Rooster, John Mayall, Mitch Mitchell and Jeff Beck's drummer Micky Waller.

Guess when I bought the book probably 20 years ago I didn't know who Micky Waller was!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 17, 2021 09:48

I’m terms of popularity, surely their zenith was during Brian’s tenure? The Rolling Stones No.2 was their biggest-selling LP in the U.K. and single-wise, The Last Time represents their peak on home soil. All 8 UK #1 singles were released between 1964 and 1969, too.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: July 17, 2021 11:36

Brian invited Steve Marriott too. Les Perrin’s wife owned some interesting acetates.

Date: July 18, 2021 01:13

Taylor1
Who was the member of the Yardbi who looked like Brian

Keith Relf.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home