Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: A critic of it visits the r'n'r Hall of Fame
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 14, 2021 17:29

Nice little read. My daughter visited the museum a few years ago. Brought me back a coffee mug as a memento of her visit. Probably the closest I'll get to the museum.

[bestclassicbands.com]

Re: OT: A critic of it visits the r'n'r Hall of Fame
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 14, 2021 18:16

“Urine in wine. We’re not coming. We’re not your monkeys. If you voted for us, hope you noted your reasons. Your anonymous as judges but your still music industry people. We’re not coming. Your not paying attention. Outside the shit-stream is a real Sex Pistol.”

Wish all bands handled it like the pistols.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: July 14, 2021 18:32

I have boycotted anything to do with the "sort of, not really rock and roll HOF" I get to Cleveland at least once a year on business but always decline any sort of overture to go there.

My beef is overlooking seminole bands of the 60's like Paul Revere and the Raiders and Hermans Hermits (and others). No, they are not the Stones or Led Zep but these type of bands invented the TV performance and helped shape RnR.

Date: July 14, 2021 19:09

I visited the HoF whenever they had the Stones exhibit and it was awesome. I've been meaning to make a trip back out to Cleveland to check it out and see what's new.

I get where cynicism the dislike of the concept of a brick and mortar (or glass) building to highlight some performers may rub some the wrong way, but it's a neat way to get to see music history.

And if the suspicious feelings towards the HoF mean that's a few less people in line when I go, I'm fine with it! winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 15, 2021 02:51

I was in Cleveland on business in early January 2005. The person I was to meet up with couldn't get into town until next day due to flight cancellations out of Chicago. I had a day to kill. It was the beginning of the week, and the ROR HOF was in walking distance. I had the place to myself and took all day, lingering over exhibits, from an Eddie Cochran stage costume, to the Stones' moog that Brian performed 2,000 Light Years From Home on.

Rock and Roll is not that serious. There are some wonderful things to see at the HOF. Jim Morrison's Cub Scout uniform. John Lennon's report card. Come on.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 15, 2021 04:21

There was a movie once that kind of sub-featured winter in Cleveland. And my parents came from there. Trust me, theres a whole lot worse things one can do in Cleveland than visit the HOF. Even though I think the place is dumb, I am sure I could find something to occupy myself with there for an afternoon or so. Beats staring out at the storm over Lake Erie and trying to convince yourself its beautiful.

jb

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 16, 2021 00:54

The RnR HOF is a farce, meaningless. Rap, hip-hop, all genres are in there. Are there rock and roll and/or country artists in the Hip Hop Hall of Fame and/or Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame?...Could you imagine?.....Nope. Do the Rolling Stones belong in the Hip Hop Hall, the Country HOF?....Nope. But we all know if they didn't allow rap or hip-hop in they'd be instantly be labeled as racist and protesters would soon be showing up at the judges homes out for blood. Although I do agree there are many black artists who are in there who do belong (Hendrix, Prince to name a few) who actually were Rock and Roll. What a joke it has been from the start.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-16 01:07 by shadooby.

Date: July 16, 2021 02:21

Yeah, but besides that, its probably got a couple interesting things in there. More than your average Hard Ass Cafe (barf) anyway.

They must have major features on the roots of rock and roll and that would mean people of color. Rap and hip hop has little place I agree but country is certainly worthy of a crossover mention. And now that I think of it, the exception that proves the rule: that Aerosmith thing Run DMC totally made come alive. That should have a place in there somewhere. And there are a lot of rap artists who use rock and roll as a basis, though that seems to be disappearing last few years.

Thats the problem: none of this stuff is really in a vacumn, it all feeds off each other and has from the beginning. If you accept that Jerry Lee Lewis fits in the RRHOF, or maybe that Elvez guy, they were primarily country artists, so right off you have to recognize rockabilly. Its got to be pretty hard to make the exact distinction in deciding who to admit and who not. Personally, a lot of the "rock" in the place could be shown the door. Its supposed to be rock and roll and losing the roll for the rock is a big mistake. And imo there are a lot of acts who were all theatre and very little music, rock or rock and roll or however you slice it.

Then again, if you got serious about it, there would not be anyone to admit who was not already there, and I am sure that is exactly the problem whoever makes the decision has to deal with. They have to keep it fresh and attract the youth which means concessions to modern day life and culture.

Never been there though and certainly have to agree with the sentiment, shadooby. Probably sucks big time. Might be an ideal place to walk around and feel superior for a while though.

jb

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: July 16, 2021 04:32

shadooby
The RnR HOF is a farce, meaningless. Rap, hip-hop, all genres are in there. Are there rock and roll and/or country artists in the Hip Hop Hall of Fame and/or Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame?...Could you imagine?.....Nope. Do the Rolling Stones belong in the Hip Hop Hall, the Country HOF?....Nope. But we all know if they didn't allow rap or hip-hop in they'd be instantly be labeled as racist and protesters would soon be showing up at the judges homes out for blood. Although I do agree there are many black artists who are in there who do belong (Hendrix, Prince to name a few) who actually were Rock and Roll. What a joke it has been from the start.

I have never been and probably never will but I wholeheartedly agree with your argument.

Date: July 16, 2021 06:32

Again, it's not life or death. Sure, there are artists in there that a little sketchy. Madonna, etc. Just enjoy what's there, ignore what you don't like. So Rock is inclusive? Big deal.

And try to forget that Jethro Tull, MC5, Pat Benatar, Warren Zevon, Joe Cocker, The Guess Who, The New York Dolls, Bad Company, Devo, the Dead Kennedys, Dick Dale, Johnny Burnette, Procol Harum, Smashing Pumpkins, The Specials, Steppenwolf, Tommy James and the Shondells, Toots and the Maytals, and War, are STILL not in the Hall of Fame. Now I'm pissed.

Date: July 16, 2021 18:29

No reason for the Specials nor Toots and the Maytals to be in a "rock and roll" hall of fame. The rest, I guess so, although seriously have my doubts about a few of them and whether they should be immortalized there. But thats down to personal taste I suppose. Its supposed to be a hall of "fame", not just existance.

jb

Date: July 16, 2021 19:50

jbwelda
No reason for the Specials nor Toots and the Maytals to be in a "rock and roll" hall of fame. The rest, I guess so, although seriously have my doubts about a few of them and whether they should be immortalized there. But thats down to personal taste I suppose. Its supposed to be a hall of "fame", not just existance.

jb

So.............by you're reasoning, ska/reggae is no part of rock and roll. Bob Marley, inducted in 1994, and Jimmy Cliff should be removed.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 16, 2021 20:59

Monkees or bust!

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: July 16, 2021 23:19

Link Wray is not in the R & R Hall Of Fame. Willy DeVille is not the R & R Hall Of Fame. Little Walter was inducted as a "sideman" (an unbelievable insult). I guess the Pistols were right.

Date: July 17, 2021 01:43

24FPS
jbwelda

jb

So.............by you're reasoning, ska/reggae is no part of rock and roll. Bob Marley, inducted in 1994, and Jimmy Cliff should be removed.

Pretty much, yes.

Remember, I am not "removing" anyone. I am stating none of those people have blood f all to do with Rock and Roll. Has nothing to do with my liking them or not.

I do know Toots was absolutely thrilled to be inducted, as he was when he and Mike Cacia won the Grammy.

jb

Date: July 17, 2021 01:45

MrEcho
Link Wray is not in the R & R Hall Of Fame. Willy DeVille is not the R & R Hall Of Fame. Little Walter was inducted as a "sideman" (an unbelievable insult). I guess the Pistols were right.

If by "the Pistols" you mean John Lydon, then yes, he generally is right.

If Madonna is in there and the ones you mention are not, well, that's a big problem. Doesn't mean there are not those in there who deserve it.

Is, uh, Johnnie Johnson (my favorite example of late) in there?

jb

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 17, 2021 02:51

It's more about the fashion of the music world than it is about music.
But I'm not one of those rock snobs who thinks MC5 should be there and not Madonna. It's a pop music museum.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 17, 2021 04:12

timmyj3
I have boycotted anything to do with the "sort of, not really rock and roll HOF" I get to Cleveland at least once a year on business but always decline any sort of overture to go there.

My beef is overlooking seminole bands of the 60's like Paul Revere and the Raiders and Hermans Hermits (and others). No, they are not the Stones or Led Zep but these type of bands invented the TV performance and helped shape RnR.

"Seminole" bands...indeed Redbone should be in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-17 04:12 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: dropped ()
Date: July 17, 2021 04:53

I just visited the Country Music HOF in Nashville. I am not a big fan but I enjoyed it much more than the RRHOF.

But, there is a letter from Keith to the couple who wrote the Everly Brothers which is awesome,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1804
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home