Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Do you cringe at rewatching Shine A Light today?
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 15, 2021 14:36

terraplane
I have only watched it once.The fake drama was dumb and the guests were lame except for Buddy Guy. On the plus side there were some rarer tracks like she Was Hot, Undercover, etc. The worst part of it was in the PAL release the songs were sped up and sounded really thin if I recall correctly. Is the show where Keith gave Buddy a guitar on stage then road crew took it back off him backstage?
Yup (Guild) I can see Keith giving it to him as it wasn't a Fender or a Gibson .

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 15, 2021 14:39

That's the one. It's hanging at the wall in Buddy Guy Legends club:
[i.pinimg.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-15 14:41 by StonedRambler.

Date: July 15, 2021 14:40

Rockman
Ahmet Ertegun tripped and fell
backstage at Beacon show went into
coma and passed away some two weeks later .... RIP
Big Victim of this R.I.P.

Date: July 15, 2021 14:43

RisingStone
Rockman

...and Led Zeppelin rose again, once and for all.

Bad manners notwithstanding, would that one-off reunion that brought about the global sensation have come to fruition had the unfortunate incident not happened? It makes me wonder...
Your dead right , it never would have happened . So there is that saving grace at least !

Date: July 15, 2021 14:45

Sorry everybody as this kicked up emotions and feelings

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 15, 2021 15:06

Cooltoplady
Mathijs
I remember being appalled when we saw it in the cinema. It surely hasn't aged at all. Really their worst performance, and knowing now that Keith still was recovering from a double seizure it never should have been released.

Mathijs

Sometimes I’m appalled at the BS you write
\

What BS did I write then? That Keith suffered a double seizure after his 'fall' from a tree? It's what Keith states himself.

Mathijs

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: July 15, 2021 15:40

Have not watched in yrs. Thought it was ok but- a little too much scorecese direction. I went to 1st. beacon show with no ticket of course. outside all day-crazy wild! Even bumped into the clintons. Great show-but hated those little robots in the front!

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 15, 2021 16:03

I liked SAL, it's certainly not my favorite, but I'm not negative about it either. The difference with other Stones concert films is that this film captures the Stones in a more intimate dimension. I bought the DVD and still watch it today, I also like bonuses like Undercover and I'm Free.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 15, 2021 16:23

Nikkei
In my opinion it didn't age well at all. Every performance filmed from then on eclipses it one way or another (take Glastonbury, which isn't even an official release) The 'dynamic' mix would make any show an exhausting listening experience, and in that particular phase the guitar department was so sloppy, it's really painful to get that shoved right in your face. Then there's Keiths face which looks frightening, frail and bloated at the same time. He actually looks younger now which reminds me of a Dylan lyric. Embarrassing also the clueless blondes in the front row who seem to have extra lighting on them, making the fans behind them disappear optically. The contrived drama about "How can we find out WHAT SONGS they're going to play? It doen't have to be in order" Then there's Hillary Clinton "Hey Mom, the Rolling Stones have been waiting FOR YOU" which is all you need to know about her, as we know now. Maximum cringe. I could go on but I shouldn't

same with this BS....looks like another political hit piece disguised in the form of a band critique...watch the Hulu doc on Hillary and then come back and tell me she's cringe worthy...you can't...as far as this specific documentary there's a lot to like...rock on

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 15, 2021 16:36

I meant to subscribe to that anyway but that's a great incentive

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: July 15, 2021 16:38

PaintMonkeyManBlack
padre69
Last summer there was an outside showing of the film on a beautiful summer night. Big screen, warm night and a cold beer. Seemed like a perfect setting to watch the movie after a long while and see if its gotten any better after all these years. Unfortunately not. The dynamic mix is unbearable and it really wasn’t the band’s best night. Usually I don’t like the idea of overdubbing concert films and albums but I wish they’d done it this time. Heavily.
The best part of SAL is that Keith had shaven his moustache.

the moustache was 2007.

His accident was in 2006. His playing then was fine. 2007 Europe was horrible

Ah, yes. Thanks for the moustache correction. Wasn’t quite sure if it was before or after SAL.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 16, 2021 00:43

No, considering I only watched it once, and that was 10 odd years ago. No desire to watch it again.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 16, 2021 01:00

terraplane
Interesting. I wonder where that story came from then?

Re: the Buddy / guitar story, more here:

[iorr.org]

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 16, 2021 01:38

Rip This
Nikkei
In my opinion it didn't age well at all. Every performance filmed from then on eclipses it one way or another (take Glastonbury, which isn't even an official release) The 'dynamic' mix would make any show an exhausting listening experience, and in that particular phase the guitar department was so sloppy, it's really painful to get that shoved right in your face. Then there's Keiths face which looks frightening, frail and bloated at the same time. He actually looks younger now which reminds me of a Dylan lyric. Embarrassing also the clueless blondes in the front row who seem to have extra lighting on them, making the fans behind them disappear optically. The contrived drama about "How can we find out WHAT SONGS they're going to play? It doen't have to be in order" Then there's Hillary Clinton "Hey Mom, the Rolling Stones have been waiting FOR YOU" which is all you need to know about her, as we know now. Maximum cringe. I could go on but I shouldn't

same with this BS....looks like another political hit piece disguised in the form of a band critique...watch the Hulu doc on Hillary and then come back and tell me she's cringe worthy...you can't...as far as this specific documentary there's a lot to like...rock on

You’re right Rip This. Some people just can’t shut up about things that don’t matter

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 16, 2021 02:41

Rockman

Rockman, just adding a bit of detail--I was at the second show, not the first when this happened....
My understanding is Ahmet Ertegan went down the curving stairs to the public restrooms and then
slipped and fell on the bathroom floor. Never recovered...so sad.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: July 16, 2021 02:50

No, I don't cringe. In fact, I wish I had been there....special guests and all.

I had just seen them a week (or so?) before the Beacon shows at the icy cold Soldier Field concert in Chicago. I remember wondering at the time if Mick's throat problems leading into the Beacon shows were a result of the gnarly weather in Chicago...or maybe that was even confirmed to be the case? I can't remember.

In any case, I haven't watched Shine a Light in a while, perhaps it's time! thumbs up

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: July 16, 2021 03:10

Saw in theatre and was embarrassed. Soon as I saw Keith's strumming not match the guitar sound I was knew it was about entertainment, and it wasn't even entertaining.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 16, 2021 03:15

No, I enjoyed it, especially Sympathy. I do think however that it might have been even better/more interesting if Martin Scorsese had been given 100% free reign with the setlist as he wanted but was apparently denied.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 16, 2021 09:06

Hairball
stevecardi
EJM
I still like you got the silver from SAL

This. thumbs up

I thought YGTS was much better when Keith actually had an acoustic guitar in hands and played it as he did on later tours.
In Shine a Light, standing there like a confused crooner w/out his guitar while Ronnie accompanied him didn't really make much sense imo...something seemed wrong...

Nothing seemed wrong.

It was wrong.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 16, 2021 09:16

More Hot Rocks
Cooltoplady
Mathijs
I remember being appalled when we saw it in the cinema. It surely hasn't aged at all. Really their worst performance, and knowing now that Keith still was recovering from a double seizure it never should have been released.

Mathijs

Sometimes I’m appalled at the BS you write

I’m appalled that a guy would use the word appalled.

Ahhhh... Mathijs is correct. Awful.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 16, 2021 12:13

I like it. The performances. NOT the “film”.

Rod

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: July 16, 2021 14:07

Worst version of Sympathy ever recorded.

Date: July 16, 2021 14:13

I have watched it some years ago. I skipped every song after 20 seconds or scrolled for the guitar solos that Ron Wood played instead of Mick Taylor.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 16, 2021 15:28

She Was Hot was great! Whooooo!

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: July 16, 2021 16:15

Wow- the variety of opinions by some hardcore ultra fans surprises me. I have to admit I wasnt impressed with the film personally for some of the same reasons already articulated..and with 2022 on the horizon, I'm hoping for the best but have to wonder if this powerful driving rock and roll music is really the domain of 80 (plus) year olds.....

Date: July 16, 2021 16:34

Christina Aguilera is great on Live With Me.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 16, 2021 17:31

WorriedAboutYou
Worst version of Sympathy ever recorded.
Some truth to that. Actually I think Mick, Charlie and Ronnie are doing great but Keith's solos were just an endless sloppy repetition of the same few notes at that point. And in this film it's turned up so loud that it's right in your face. He's in a much better shape today. He's not playing necessarily more notes but more focused and to the point, less noodling around. Sometimes he's a bit hesitant at this point but it shows that he cares about his phrasing and what he plays.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-16 17:33 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 17, 2021 15:09

I quite like it. The dumb blonde models in the front row are a bit annoying but the rest of it is OK. The part that really annoys me is the bit where Scorcese is saying "It would be good to know what song they will start with" because he then says "they usually start with a guitar, so is it Keith Or Ronnie: - if he us the massive Stones fan he claims to be then he would know that Ronnie never (well almost never) starts any of the songs....

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: July 17, 2021 15:46

StonedRambler
Stoneage
Sure Rambler, but most of the excitement is gone. They do their nostalgia act pretty well though. And the audience can't be wrong.
Don't want to get personal here but can it also be a bit that it's your excitement towards the band that has faded a bit? I mean it's reasonable if you have seen them so many times over the years, playing almost the same songs every time, that going to a Stones concert kinda becomes a routine and doesn't spark you anymore. It a bit like with a long marriage. Of course you can blame on them that they just repeat themselves at the shows over and over again. But that's just what it is since 1989. They do what they do over and over again but I think they still do it really well.

Very well put.....I personally think it would have worked as a straight concert film without the Marty touches. AS for the blondes, I don't mind at all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-17 15:54 by coffeepotman.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 17, 2021 16:31

john lomax
…if he us the massive Stones fan he claims to be then he would know that Ronnie never (well almost never) starts any of the songs....

Then there’s the set list written in reeeeely big letters on the plexiglass surrounding Charlie’s kit.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home