Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Do you cringe at rewatching Shine A Light today?
Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 15, 2021 05:30

"I believe I am correct in recollecting that the 2nd Beacon show was also eventually postponed by a day, no?"

Yes. JMARKO, true. I was so happy I could stay around for it. In Las Vegas, I wasn't so fortunate.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: July 15, 2021 05:48

Ummmmm Cringe...NO - Hell no way!! Still one of my fav videos to watch!! Much better than watching yet another stadium show. I even prefer SAL to The Fonda, and I feature in that one - LOL.

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 15, 2021 05:54

Cooltoplady
Mathijs
I remember being appalled when we saw it in the cinema. It surely hasn't aged at all. Really their worst performance, and knowing now that Keith still was recovering from a double seizure it never should have been released.

Mathijs

Sometimes I’m appalled at the BS you write

I’m appalled that a guy would use the word appalled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-15 07:03 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 15, 2021 06:05

stevecardi
EJM
I still like you got the silver from SAL

This. thumbs up

I thought YGTS was much better when Keith actually had an acoustic guitar in hands and played it as he did on later tours.
In Shine a Light, standing there like a confused crooner w/out his guitar while Ronnie accompanied him didn't really make much sense imo...something seemed wrong...

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 15, 2021 06:19

I have only watched it once.The fake drama was dumb and the guests were lame except for Buddy Guy. On the plus side there were some rarer tracks like she Was Hot, Undercover, etc. The worst part of it was in the PAL release the songs were sped up and sounded really thin if I recall correctly. Is the show where Keith gave Buddy a guitar on stage then road crew took it back off him backstage?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 15, 2021 07:08

terraplane
I have only watched it once.The fake drama was dumb and the guests were lame except for Buddy Guy. On the plus side there were some rarer tracks like she Was Hot, Undercover, etc. The worst part of it was in the PAL release the songs were sped up and sounded really thin if I recall correctly. Is the show where Keith gave Buddy a guitar on stage then road crew took it back off him backstage?

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-15 07:10 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 15, 2021 07:19

More so.

Terrible.

If Buddy Guy was the highlight... that was pretty bad. It's "ok" but it's bad.

And if you bought the live album, you can't give it away except to the landfill.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 15, 2021 08:27

terraplane

That's not true. The guitar currently resides on a wall at Buddy's Legends night club in Chicago, along with many other guitars given to Buddy by other folks. I've seen it there.

plexi

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 15, 2021 08:41

timbernardis
terraplane

That's not true. The guitar currently resides on a wall at Buddy's Legends night club in Chicago, along with many other guitars given to Buddy by other folks. I've seen it there.

plexi

If some roadies were seen taking it from him, it was probably to keep it safe until after the gig so he didn't have to lug it around all night. Probably made sure it got delivered to his house or at least that he walked away with it that night.

jb

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 15, 2021 09:56

Interesting. I wonder where that story came from then?

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: July 15, 2021 10:33

Last summer there was an outside showing of the film on a beautiful summer night. Big screen, warm night and a cold beer. Seemed like a perfect setting to watch the movie after a long while and see if its gotten any better after all these years. Unfortunately not. The dynamic mix is unbearable and it really wasn’t the band’s best night. Usually I don’t like the idea of overdubbing concert films and albums but I wish they’d done it this time. Heavily.
The best part of SAL is that Keith had shaven his moustache.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 15, 2021 11:06

Rockman
Being the only guy in the
front row woulda been wild fun ....

thumbs up>grinning smiley<

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 15, 2021 11:11

timbernardis
Well, I was there in person and it was a good show. I saw 27 shows on the ABB tour, and this was the best ... until London at the O2 show 2 August 23rd, 2007. Nonetheless, it was still my second favourite of the shows I saw on this tour.

I would suggest that for those who don't like the film, just as in all those who complain about their live performances, just don't watch it.

plexi

AMEN

The setlist is great and ADTL, SWH, Little T & A, C & R, As tears go by and Dice are the bollox!

The only bad thing is ya can't play along with it on the guitar as it's pitched a semi-tone higher....

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: July 15, 2021 11:16

Is the SAL soundtrack also with that dynamic mix or is it just the movie?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 15, 2021 11:40

padre69

Is the SAL soundtrack also with that dynamic mix or is it just the movie?

It's just the movie (to highlight the showed artist/instrument).

[www.YouTube.com] - plus 8 more Tracks from CD2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-15 12:05 by Irix.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: July 15, 2021 11:40

No, I am not that cool

Date: July 15, 2021 12:14

padre69
Last summer there was an outside showing of the film on a beautiful summer night. Big screen, warm night and a cold beer. Seemed like a perfect setting to watch the movie after a long while and see if its gotten any better after all these years. Unfortunately not. The dynamic mix is unbearable and it really wasn’t the band’s best night. Usually I don’t like the idea of overdubbing concert films and albums but I wish they’d done it this time. Heavily.
The best part of SAL is that Keith had shaven his moustache.

the moustache was 2007.

His accident was in 2006. His playing then was fine. 2007 Europe was horrible

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 15, 2021 13:41

Nikkei
Now you can't really complain about a cancelled stadium show when you were in fact AT the Beacon
It wasn't a Stadium show it was the Boardwalk Hall with seating capacity of 10,500 , which would have been the smallest and most intimate show in all of my years of following the Stones . Plus big Plus was the fact that the Pay Per View show from the 1989 Steel Wheels Tour was held there called Terrifying . So I was bummed out , plus the Boardwalk and all of the trappings that go with it . The next morning before we got out of there I did have a really killer breakfast buffet @ The Tropicana . Still a sore spot for me .

Date: July 15, 2021 13:45

IGTBA
StonedRambler
Rokyfan
Cooltoplady
Rokyfan
Karma.

They f***ed their fans who traveled to Atlantic City to be told at the last minute that the show was canceled so they could do the show at the beacon for their model/Clintons audience. A low point in their history all around

Stupid political comment. Grow up

No not political. I’m just aware because my brother was one who that happened to. Wasted a lot of money for nothing like a lot of other fans.

Nothing political. You’re just not aware of what happened.

It's just not true. The Atlantic City concert had to be rescheduled because Mick had laryngitis. The SAL concerts were already scheduled after the Atlantic City concert and a whole film crew booked so it was not possible to reschedule Atlantic City immediately and they had to take the next free slot they could get.
Of course it's annoying if something like that happenes...

I disagree. They postponed AC because the following Beacon movie shoots were more important to them. Yes, Mick's voice was fragile then, but I believe it was a business decision to postpone AC to ensure Mick could do the scheduled movie shoots. Mick has performed several times with voice issues, including the second Desert Trip and Vegas afterward (when he had a serious issue, with the first Vegas concert cancelled, and Keith having to do three songs at the second).

I flew more than halfway across the US to go to AC, for nothing (except at least there was a fun Shidoobee mourning get together that evening). The Stones shafted their AC fans in favor of the movie. That's why I've never watched the movie and never will.
This is true and a fact as far as what we were told about Atlantic City and this still is a sore spot for me and conjures bad memories of the stiff job !

Date: July 15, 2021 13:49

MisterDDDD
TheGreek
Rokyfan
Karma.

They f***ed their fans who traveled to Atlantic City to be told at the last minute that the show was canceled so they could do the show at the beacon for their model/Clintons audience. A low point in their history all around
Yes , as I was looking forward to the Boardwalk Hall concert until we were checking in to our hotel and we had to be told by some folks in the elevator that the show was cancelled (they were in town for the Shriners ) What an awful rainy miserable evening that was after the long ride there . The only saving grace for us was we got the call that we were in for the first night at the Beacon for the Clinton Foundation and the rest is history . I believe Atlantic City 2006 was the first NO SHOW for me in my many years of following the Stones around . This is still a sore spot and conjures bad memories from Atlantic City 2006 which was on a Friday night during the final game of the World Series which was one by the Cardinals beating the Tigers . Spent the night of the show in the Hard Rock watching some band and a Halloween costume show .

Yeah.. it sounds like a drag for certain, and sorry for the fans that happened to.

For me, if I was one (and I wasn't) I would have traded for the Beacon show in a heartbeat though. Historic venue, great cause, iconic director, political royalty in the house, et al.
Ok film with a few notable performances. Understand the frustration though, but part me says- right on boys, still kicking some r&r "we'll do as we please" rebellion.. with the very rare switch up.

As I recall, perhaps over on the Shidoobee site, wasn't there like a scuffle over membership fees or similar to get in on it by virtue of being a member of their fan club?
Could be mistaken.

It's only rock 'n roll, but I like it.
I also do recall the issue of the scuffle as well . Funny how the brain and memory work as far as long ago forgotten and buried stuff and then a mention of it rewinds my memory and makes me recall it .

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2021 13:56

Ahmet Ertegun tripped and fell
backstage at Beacon show went into
coma and passed away some two weeks later .... RIP

ROCKMAN

Date: July 15, 2021 14:08

stevecardi
The actual performances in SAL are great. Some moments sag, but overall we get great versions of YGTS, ADTL, PIB, Shattered, JJF, Champaign and Reefer, She Was Hot, LT&A, and Dice.

As a film, it is by far the worst offering by Scorsese and the Stones. Along the reasons everyone has already cited, here are my problems with is:

1.) It lacks the excitement and tension of Gimme Shelter. While I'm not suggesting SAL needed a horrible tragedy of historical proportions for a climax to make it watchable, the things Scorcese uses here to create a "movie plot" (the setlist talk, cutting away from the stage to Scorecese giving directions and FX instructions etc etc) come off as an annoying hinderance. By contrast, the scenes in GS with Mick and Charlie talking with David Maysles in the editing room and the footage of Melvin Belli working to get the Altamont sight secure in his NY office is extremely fascinating, and in no way takes away from the music. By contrast, all the behind-the-scenes stuff in SAL seem fake.

2.) As a concert movie, it's missing the most important thing that L&G, LSTNT, SG:LIT, and Live at the Max have in spades: the feeling you're at a Stones concert. The editing, cinematography and camera shots of the first three all give the feeling we the viewers are right there in the venue with the band. Likewise, while much of Live at the Max is staged after the fact, it still gives the viewer the impression he or she is on stage with the Stones in front of 90,000+ people. In great contrast, SAL just doesn't provide that same experience of being at a Stones concert or on stage with them.

3.) Scorecese said he wanted the Beacon Theatre instead of the Copacabana concert because he does better in small, intimate settings. This sense of intimacy is where SAL truly falls flat when compared to Stripped. In the latter, we get the feeling that we really are getting a behind-the-scenes invite to the Stones both on and off the stage. There are some moments in that film where I really do feel like a fly on the wall backstage. Likewise, all the footage from Paradiso, Olympia and Brixton give the impression of a Stones concert in action, rather than some "event."

4.) The celebrity issues: while Jack Nicholson and other big names appear in Stripped, they are only on screen for a few moments, and they in no way give the impression they're only there to be on the "scene." On the contrary, they're at the concert as Stones fans--and the film itself makes it feel these big names could be right there with us, sitting down and enjoying the Stones. Can't say that about SAL

5.) Finally, there are the "corporate models" out in front, and this is the biggest problem I have with SAL: a seeming lack of honesty and integrity. These models seem to have been put there as eye-candy, with the hopes that we the fans wouldn't notice they were there for just that: eye candy. It's done in a way that's an insult to our intelligence.
Very Good and on point . I would like to add that it would have worked better IMHO if Marty had a camera with him and he should have showed off what it's like to be backstage at a Stones show and what goes on and how the Stones prepare and the lead up to when they hit the stage and the lights go down and Keith hits that first chord instead of all this other stuff including the eye candy in the front rows .This is exactly where Marty dropped the proverbial ball . Instead we get all of this contrived cinema verite that just falls Down in the Hole (cue the blues track from Emotional Rescue ) We could have seen how Keith and Ronnie warm up , same for Mick and Charlie with maybe a comment or two thrown in for good measure .The lead up and an inner look at there sanctum to get a glimpse of the Stones prior to hitting the stage .

Date: July 15, 2021 14:11

DGA35
I don't mind it. As Tears Go By, Imagination, Buddy Guy. Even Christina on Live With Me, not a fan of hers but she's got a great voice.
You know I was very disappointed with Christina singing as I had higher expectations and she basically shrieked her vocals which were for me like the proverbial horrible chalk sound on the blackboard .

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 15, 2021 14:15

Rockman
Ahmet Ertegun tripped and fell
backstage at Beacon show went into
coma and passed away some two weeks later .... RIP

...and Led Zeppelin rose again, once and for all.

Bad manners notwithstanding, would that one-off reunion that brought about the global sensation have come to fruition had the unfortunate incident not happened? It makes me wonder...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-15 14:22 by RisingStone.

Date: July 15, 2021 14:16

StonedRambler
I actually cringe much more watching the '75 Cocaine Jagger with that big blown up penis on stage or the drunken '81 football uniform Jagger than watching anything from the last 30 years. While I agree that SAL has it's flaws, especially in the guitar department.
The thing is in 75 or 81 as you mentioned regardless of Mick's voice the Stones were on fire and kicking major butt and taking names . That's what's lacking, instead Marty is trying to infuse drama instead of getting it from on stage from the performance .

Date: July 15, 2021 14:20

DeanGoodman
TheGreek
Rokyfan
Karma.

Yes , as I was looking forward to the Boardwalk Hall concert until we were checking in to our hotel and we had to be told by some folks in the elevator that the show was cancelled (they were in town for the Shriners ) What an awful rainy miserable evening that was after the long ride there . The only saving grace for us was we got the call that we were in for the first night at the Beacon for the Clinton Foundation and the rest is history . I believe Atlantic City 2006 was the first NO SHOW for me in my many years of following the Stones around . This is still a sore spot and conjures bad memories from Atlantic City 2006 which was on a Friday night during the final game of the World Series which was one by the Cardinals beating the Tigers . Spent the night of the show in the Hard Rock watching some band and a Halloween costume show .

Some band? How dare you?! It was Paul Stanley and an opening act called Slunt. Could have been worse, I guess. The last-minute cancel soured me too, although I had a few under my belt by then. This one seemed suspicious, however. IIRC, the film got 2 thumbs up from Ebert & Roeper, who bought into Scorsese's setlist hissyfit.
Sorry about the Some Band comment and this from a Kiss fan as well . Just goes to show how pissed I was at the stiff job .

Date: July 15, 2021 14:23

Testify
TheGreek
Rokyfan
Karma.

I too had a similar experience in Italy Milan, BTB Tour, Mick had laryngitis, missed concert.
I understand the disappointment of the moment, I was pissed ... however these things happen, making a drama out of them is stupid, because they are human like all of us.

As for SHL and the Clintons they weren't there by accident, but because the concert helped fundraise the Clinton association against climate change and I'm happy the Stones did!
A most worthy cause and even more important today as the planet is on fire and global warming happening so rappidly more so than the experts predicted .

Date: July 15, 2021 14:27

JMARKO
StonedRambler
IGTBA
I disagree. They postponed AC because the following Beacon movie shoots were more important to them. Yes, Mick's voice was fragile then, but I believe it was a business decision to postpone AC to ensure Mick could do the scheduled movie shoots. Mick has performed several times with voice issues, including the second Desert Trip and Vegas afterward (when he had a serious issue, with the first Vegas concert cancelled, and Keith having to do three songs at the second).

I flew more than halfway across the US to go to AC, for nothing (except at least there was a fun Shidoobee mourning get together that evening). The Stones shafted their AC fans in favor of the movie. That's why I've never watched the movie and never will.
I don't think the Stones can simply cancel an arena oder stadium show unless they really have to. The insurance company would not pay for it otherwise. The whole expense of just dropping in a show later during the tour with all the additional traveling of the crew and gear and and extra organisation is just too high.
If they could have just postponed the theater shows they certainly would have done it. But it was all set and booked, they engaged a crew of the most expensive and inquired camera men in the business and whole they surely had a contract as well that they had to fullfill.
Still I totally understand you was disappointed. But these things unfortunately happen and they happened several times over the last couple of years. If you just sing with a broken voice it can course permanent damage that would affect the whole tour.

I was at The Beacon. For both shows. The cancellation of Atlantic City in order for them to do the Beacon shows is a bogus conspiracy theory.

I believe I am correct in recollecting that the 2nd Beacon show was also eventually postponed by a day, no?

As for Shine A Light, nice movie, great performances. The "dynamic" mix was a terrible idea. I hated hearing the guitars suddenly blare up in the theater when the camera switched to guitar closeups. This also happened on subsequent tours, I remember seeing them in Boston c. 2013 and the same annoying effect kept happening whenever Keith would have a standout section in a song.

If you expected Gimme Shelter, or Ladies & Gentlemen, or The Last Waltz I don't know what to tell you. Comparisons to those films are pretty futile.

I think one of the points/goals of this film was to get a sense of the band onstage working together, and I think it succeeds in that regard - especially in comparison to most of their other concert films.
But it comes across contrived and forced trying to create a dramatic effect instead of being real and actually trying to spy on them onstage to catch a glimpse or a flicker of how the Stones work in real life versus something that is fake and "staged" that's exactly where Marty misses his cue/mark .

Date: July 15, 2021 14:33

rcfoxy
Ummmmm Cringe...NO - Hell no way!! Still one of my fav videos to watch!! Much better than watching yet another stadium show. I even prefer SAL to The Fonda, and I feature in that one - LOL.
The Fonda show totally rocked !

Date: July 15, 2021 14:34

Hairball
stevecardi
EJM
I still like you got the silver from SAL

This. thumbs up

I thought YGTS was much better when Keith actually had an acoustic guitar in hands and played it as he did on later tours.
In Shine a Light, standing there like a confused crooner w/out his guitar while Ronnie accompanied him didn't really make much sense imo...something seemed wrong...
correct and very weird , as his arm was cut off or something .

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1372
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home