Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Do you cringe at rewatching Shine A Light today?
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 14, 2021 20:35

Great performance by the Stones. Mick is giving 110%. Great set list.

Lame opening sequence, as if Scorsese is directing it live, which he clearly wasn't. so phony. Editing is so fast it gives me a headache.

The worst part is when Scorsese goes to a close up of a guitar, and the guitar suddenly goes up in the sound mix. I hate that so much. Why does the director of "The Last Waltz" think electric guitars work that way?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 14, 2021 20:47

TheGreek
Rokyfan
Karma.

They f***ed their fans who traveled to Atlantic City to be told at the last minute that the show was canceled so they could do the show at the beacon for their model/Clintons audience. A low point in their history all around
Yes , as I was looking forward to the Boardwalk Hall concert until we were checking in to our hotel and we had to be told by some folks in the elevator that the show was cancelled (they were in town for the Shriners ) What an awful rainy miserable evening that was after the long ride there . The only saving grace for us was we got the call that we were in for the first night at the Beacon for the Clinton Foundation and the rest is history . I believe Atlantic City 2006 was the first NO SHOW for me in my many years of following the Stones around . This is still a sore spot and conjures bad memories from Atlantic City 2006 which was on a Friday night during the final game of the World Series which was one by the Cardinals beating the Tigers . Spent the night of the show in the Hard Rock watching some band and a Halloween costume show .

Yeah.. it sounds like a drag for certain, and sorry for the fans that happened to.

For me, if I was one (and I wasn't) I would have traded for the Beacon show in a heartbeat though. Historic venue, great cause, iconic director, political royalty in the house, et al.
Ok film with a few notable performances. Understand the frustration though, but part me says- right on boys, still kicking some r&r "we'll do as we please" rebellion.. with the very rare switch up.

As I recall, perhaps over on the Shidoobee site, wasn't there like a scuffle over membership fees or similar to get in on it by virtue of being a member of their fan club?
Could be mistaken.

It's only rock 'n roll, but I like it.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 14, 2021 21:01

IGTBA
I disagree. They postponed AC because the following Beacon movie shoots were more important to them. Yes, Mick's voice was fragile then, but I believe it was a business decision to postpone AC to ensure Mick could do the scheduled movie shoots. Mick has performed several times with voice issues, including the second Desert Trip and Vegas afterward (when he had a serious issue, with the first Vegas concert cancelled, and Keith having to do three songs at the second).

I flew more than halfway across the US to go to AC, for nothing (except at least there was a fun Shidoobee mourning get together that evening). The Stones shafted their AC fans in favor of the movie. That's why I've never watched the movie and never will.
I don't think the Stones can simply cancel an arena oder stadium show unless they really have to. The insurance company would not pay for it otherwise. The whole expense of just dropping in a show later during the tour with all the additional traveling of the crew and gear and and extra organisation is just too high.
If they could have just postponed the theater shows they certainly would have done it. But it was all set and booked, they engaged a crew of the most expensive and inquired camera men in the business and whole they surely had a contract as well that they had to fullfill.
Still I totally understand you was disappointed. But these things unfortunately happen and they happened several times over the last couple of years. If you just sing with a broken voice it can course permanent damage that would affect the whole tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-14 21:02 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 14, 2021 21:08

EJM
I still like you got the silver from SAL

This. thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 14, 2021 21:39

Saw it when it was released on cinema. Never again. Except for the Buddy Guy guest spot. To be fair, by 2006 Stones' best-before date was passed by a margin.
Not only creatively (that went in the late 70s) but also artistically and physically.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 14, 2021 21:52

Cooltoplady
TheGreek
Rokyfan
Karma.

They f***ed their fans who traveled to Atlantic City to be told at the last minute that the show was canceled so they could do the show at the beacon for their model/Clintons audience. A low point in their history all around
Yes , as I was looking forward to the Boardwalk Hall concert until we were checking in to our hotel and we had to be told by some folks in the elevator that the show was cancelled (they were in town for the Shriners ) What an awful rainy miserable evening that was after the long ride there . The only saving grace for us was we got the call that we were in for the first night at the Beacon for the Clinton Foundation and the rest is history . I believe Atlantic City 2006 was the first NO SHOW for me in my many years of following the Stones around . This is still a sore spot and conjures bad memories from Atlantic City 2006 which was on a Friday night during the final game of the World Series which was one by the Cardinals beating the Tigers . Spent the night of the show in the Hard Rock watching some band and a Halloween costume show .

My husband and I drove back 2 weeks later for the rescheduled show It was a 12 hour drive. In fact that was a picture of us on the front cover of the Atlantic City newspaper the day after the cancellation. Well the make up show was one of the best Stones concerts I ever saw.
And remember this was a week after Mick’s Dad had died
I wanted to go to the make up show but it was not to be which sucked !

Posted by: stevecardi ()

The actual performances in SAL are great. Some moments sag, but overall we get great versions of YGTS, ADTL, PIB, Shattered, JJF, Champaign and Reefer, She Was Hot, LT&A, and Dice.

As a film, it is by far the worst offering by Scorsese and the Stones. Along the reasons everyone has already cited, here are my problems with is:

1.) It lacks the excitement and tension of Gimme Shelter. While I'm not suggesting SAL needed a horrible tragedy of historical proportions for a climax to make it watchable, the things Scorcese uses here to create a "movie plot" (the setlist talk, cutting away from the stage to Scorecese giving directions and FX instructions etc etc) come off as an annoying hinderance. By contrast, the scenes in GS with Mick and Charlie talking with David Maysles in the editing room and the footage of Melvin Belli working to get the Altamont sight secure in his NY office is extremely fascinating, and in no way takes away from the music. By contrast, all the behind-the-scenes stuff in SAL seem fake.

2.) As a concert movie, it's missing the most important thing that L&G, LSTNT, SG:LIT, and Live at the Max have in spades: the feeling you're at a Stones concert. The editing, cinematography and camera shots of the first three all give the feeling we the viewers are right there in the venue with the band. Likewise, while much of Live at the Max is staged after the fact, it still gives the viewer the impression he or she is on stage with the Stones in front of 90,000+ people. In great contrast, SAL just doesn't provide that same experience of being at a Stones concert or on stage with them.

3.) Scorecese said he wanted the Beacon Theatre instead of the Copacabana concert because he does better in small, intimate settings. This sense of intimacy is where SAL truly falls flat when compared to Stripped. In the latter, we get the feeling that we really are getting a behind-the-scenes invite to the Stones both on and off the stage. There are some moments in that film where I really do feel like a fly on the wall backstage. Likewise, all the footage from Paradiso, Olympia and Brixton give the impression of a Stones concert in action, rather than some "event."

4.) The celebrity issues: while Jack Nicholson and other big names appear in Stripped, they are only on screen for a few moments, and they in no way give the impression they're only there to be on the "scene." On the contrary, they're at the concert as Stones fans--and the film itself makes it feel these big names could be right there with us, sitting down and enjoying the Stones. Can't say that about SAL

5.) Finally, there are the "corporate models" out in front, and this is the biggest problem I have with SAL: a seeming lack of honesty and integrity. These models seem to have been put there as eye-candy, with the hopes that we the fans wouldn't notice they were there for just that: eye candy. It's done in a way that's an insult to our intelligence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-14 21:53 by stevecardi.

Stoneage
Saw it when it was released on cinema. Never again. Except for the Buddy Guy guest spot. To be fair, by 2006 Stones' best-before date was passed by a margin.
Not only creatively (that went in the late 70s) but also artistically and physically.
While I agree that Keith and Ronnie had a low in 2006, I don't agree with the 'best before date' comment. In recent years they all have been in a great shape at the concerts. Sweet Summer Sun and Havana Moon shows a band who aged gracefully and can still deliver. Of course not creatively anymore but they do still perform at a high level.

While the individual abilities of the band members may have faded a bit, I think that their chemistry and playing as a band together on stage is better than it's ever been.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-14 21:59 by StonedRambler.

Date: July 14, 2021 21:58

Sure Rambler, but most of the excitement is gone. They do their nostalgia act pretty well though. And the audience can't be wrong.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 14, 2021 22:05

I don't mind it. As Tears Go By, Imagination, Buddy Guy. Even Christina on Live With Me, not a fan of hers but she's got a great voice.

Date: July 14, 2021 22:07

Stoneage
Sure Rambler, but most of the excitement is gone. They do their nostalgia act pretty well though. And the audience can't be wrong.
Don't want to get personal here but can it also be a bit that it's your excitement towards the band that has faded a bit? I mean it's reasonable if you have seen them so many times over the years, playing almost the same songs every time, that going to a Stones concert kinda becomes a routine and doesn't spark you anymore. It a bit like with a long marriage. Of course you can blame on them that they just repeat themselves at the shows over and over again. But that's just what it is since 1989. They do what they do over and over again but I think they still do it really well.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 14, 2021 22:09

Haven't seen the film in some time, but I do enjoy the soundtrack double CD from time to time. One of their better live albums I think...of the more recent ones that is.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 14, 2021 22:10

Mathijs
I remember being appalled when we saw it...

Mathijs

Date: July 14, 2021 22:15

StonedRambler: You do have a point there. I'm expressing my sentiments, not everyone else's.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 14, 2021 22:38

One of the best JJF's live.

As an aside, I watched the Fonda Theater show on Hulu, Netflicks or one of the streaming services (can't remember) and must say, the boys sounded great!

Keith's guitar playing was a pure, tasteful, professional joy.

I really dug his LP Jr./Tweed Twin sound!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-14 22:38 by beachbreak.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2021 22:47

Cooltoplady
Mathijs
I remember being appalled when we saw it in the cinema. It surely hasn't aged at all. Really their worst performance, and knowing now that Keith still was recovering from a double seizure it never should have been released.

Mathijs

Sometimes I’m appalled at the BS you write

Completely uncalled for. He's addressing the post honestly and you're attacking him? Not a thing a truly cool top lady would do.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 14, 2021 23:21

Well, I was there in person and it was a good show. I saw 27 shows on the ABB tour, and this was the best ... until London at the O2 show 2 August 23rd, 2007. Nonetheless, it was still my second favourite of the shows I saw on this tour.

I would suggest that for those who don't like the film, just as in all those who complain about their live performances, just don't watch it.

plexi

Date: July 14, 2021 23:27

I actually cringe much more watching the '75 Cocaine Jagger with that big blown up penis on stage or the drunken '81 football uniform Jagger than watching anything from the last 30 years. While I agree that SAL has it's flaws, especially in the guitar department.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-14 23:28 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 14, 2021 23:42

I loved "I'm Free" from the movie. We don't get near enough from that era live nowadays.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 15, 2021 00:04

I enjoy it, so there.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 15, 2021 00:14

You know it's sad when the highlights are duets with Buddy Guy, and Cristina Aguilera (who was great). The great Jack White s#@t the bed that night. Might have been nerves.

Again, putting things in historical perspective, they also put out The Biggest Bang DVD set that year. All the concerts on there were better than what was on Shine A Light. Shine A Light needed to be an over the top concert performance, reaching back in time, to compete, and it flopped. There is very little Post Wyman live Stones that I watch more than once. San Jose, Fonda, I used to watch Four Flicks and The Biggest Bang. Shine A Light sits in my DVD bookcase, gathering dust.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 15, 2021 00:25

tonyc
jbwelda
I and three friends attended the premier in San Francisco. We all got up and left about halfway through. There was much better stuff to watch out on the streets. I expected as much and was proven to be correct.

jb

I think if I was enough of a fan to be going to the premiere and posting here I would like it enough to at least stay and not be always suffering so much that it required me to leave.

It is definitely not that bad.

I guess it all depends on how one wishes to spend their time. About halfway through, we wished to spend our time elsewhere.

And, yes, it was, "that bad". I was embarrassed for my friends for suggesting we go. And the verdict was unanimous. And we all kidded ourselves that we were "enough of a fan".

While the performances were ok (again only saw the first half or so and have not revisited it ever since), the overblown sense of a "movie" along with the suggested grandness of it all, just turned me off. And as mentioned, during that time the guitar section was a mess and all that supposed off stage posing and scene making just flat bored the f out of me. I was expecting Gimme Shelter or at least a serious music movie, instead it was like Entertainment Tonite or something. And I thought Scorsese totally hacked the whole thing, I went away wondering how the heck he ever got the job.

Anyway only reason I am commenting at all is because it was brought up. Otherwise, the less said the better, imo.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-15 00:37 by jbwelda.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2021 00:31

Being the only guy in the
front row woulda been wild fun ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 15, 2021 00:42

TheGreek
Rokyfan
Karma.

Some band? How dare you?! It was Paul Stanley and an opening act called Slunt. Could have been worse, I guess. The last-minute cancel soured me too, although I had a few under my belt by then. This one seemed suspicious, however. IIRC, the film got 2 thumbs up from Ebert & Roeper, who bought into Scorsese's setlist hissyfit.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 15, 2021 00:47

TheGreek
Rokyfan
Karma.

I too had a similar experience in Italy Milan, BTB Tour, Mick had laryngitis, missed concert.
I understand the disappointment of the moment, I was pissed ... however these things happen, making a drama out of them is stupid, because they are human like all of us.

As for SHL and the Clintons they weren't there by accident, but because the concert helped fundraise the Clinton association against climate change and I'm happy the Stones did!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 15, 2021 02:43

Testify
TheGreek
Rokyfan
Karma.

I too had a similar experience in Italy Milan, BTB Tour, Mick had laryngitis, missed concert.
I understand the disappointment of the moment, I was pissed ... however these things happen, making a drama out of them is stupid, because they are human like all of us.

As for SHL and the Clintons they weren't there by accident, but because the concert helped fundraise the Clinton association against climate change and I'm happy the Stones did!

They had to reschedule a concert at Dodger Stadium in 2006 because Mick had voice problems. But the make up concert was fantastic. The rest of the band didn't matter that night. Mick was on.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 15, 2021 02:55

StonedRambler
IGTBA
I disagree. They postponed AC because the following Beacon movie shoots were more important to them. Yes, Mick's voice was fragile then, but I believe it was a business decision to postpone AC to ensure Mick could do the scheduled movie shoots. Mick has performed several times with voice issues, including the second Desert Trip and Vegas afterward (when he had a serious issue, with the first Vegas concert cancelled, and Keith having to do three songs at the second).

I flew more than halfway across the US to go to AC, for nothing (except at least there was a fun Shidoobee mourning get together that evening). The Stones shafted their AC fans in favor of the movie. That's why I've never watched the movie and never will.
I don't think the Stones can simply cancel an arena oder stadium show unless they really have to. The insurance company would not pay for it otherwise. The whole expense of just dropping in a show later during the tour with all the additional traveling of the crew and gear and and extra organisation is just too high.
If they could have just postponed the theater shows they certainly would have done it. But it was all set and booked, they engaged a crew of the most expensive and inquired camera men in the business and whole they surely had a contract as well that they had to fullfill.
Still I totally understand you was disappointed. But these things unfortunately happen and they happened several times over the last couple of years. If you just sing with a broken voice it can course permanent damage that would affect the whole tour.

I was at The Beacon. For both shows. The cancellation of Atlantic City in order for them to do the Beacon shows is a bogus conspiracy theory.

I believe I am correct in recollecting that the 2nd Beacon show was also eventually postponed by a day, no?

As for Shine A Light, nice movie, great performances. The "dynamic" mix was a terrible idea. I hated hearing the guitars suddenly blare up in the theater when the camera switched to guitar closeups. This also happened on subsequent tours, I remember seeing them in Boston c. 2013 and the same annoying effect kept happening whenever Keith would have a standout section in a song.

If you expected Gimme Shelter, or Ladies & Gentlemen, or The Last Waltz I don't know what to tell you. Comparisons to those films are pretty futile.

I think one of the points/goals of this film was to get a sense of the band onstage working together, and I think it succeeds in that regard - especially in comparison to most of their other concert films.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 15, 2021 03:54

I like Christina Aguilera on Live With Me.

So sue me

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 15, 2021 04:42

I’m glad to know some of the people here like Aguilera’s performance on Live With Me. One of those “every one of us but me thinks it’s uncool to like xxxx...I don’t care, I say I like her, now lynch me...it turns out other guys think alike” moments haha. Sometimes truth reveals itself in life.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 15, 2021 04:44

It was pretty bad. They brought in a great director and either put handcuffs on him or he was too starstruck to use the access he had.
The 'plot' was stupid. Maybe it was there to illustrate Jagger's penchant for control.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home