Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Do you cringe at rewatching Shine A Light today?
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 14, 2021 16:54

In my opinion it didn't age well at all. Every performance filmed from then on eclipses it one way or another (take Glastonbury, which isn't even an official release) The 'dynamic' mix would make any show an exhausting listening experience, and in that particular phase the guitar department was so sloppy, it's really painful to get that shoved right in your face. Then there's Keiths face which looks frightening, frail and bloated at the same time. He actually looks younger now which reminds me of a Dylan lyric. Embarrassing also the clueless blondes in the front row who seem to have extra lighting on them, making the fans behind them disappear optically. The contrived drama about "How can we find out WHAT SONGS they're going to play? It doen't have to be in order" Then there's Hillary Clinton "Hey Mom, the Rolling Stones have been waiting FOR YOU" which is all you need to know about her, as we know now. Maximum cringe. I could go on but I shouldn't

Re: Do you cringe at rewatching Shine A Light today?
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 14, 2021 17:07

Do I cringe when I watch "Shine A Light" today? Yes, Sir.

Date: July 14, 2021 17:10

I grabbed the DVD from a used media store, watched it once about 10 years ago, and it's been occupying shelf space since, so my thoughts are based purely on a decade-old memory and your comments.

The thing I disliked the most about it was that it couldn't just be a concert. Scorsese felt the need to follow a movie plot, complete with drama (not knowing what the band will play). Doesn't really work for a concert film where it feels like everyone's acting for the camera (minus Charlie). Makes sense that Scorsese would do this, as those films are his bread and butter, but if I'm remembering right, they cut away from the stage/action a few times to show him giving camera cues/FX directions? Totally ruins the concert experience. I can understand these are all neat if you're interested in how the sausage gets made, but leave that for a director's cut or something.

As far as Hillary, even after we've gotten to know her a little more since 2007, I don't find that scene too cringey from your description-- just Hillary making a joke to her mom with the Stones as a punchline.

However, I'll agree that it's standing in the shadows of other releases like Glastonbury, Four Flicks, even Sweet Summer Sun-- because it feels like a corporate event to me. Yes, the band is playing and sound great. Yes, they bust out some rarities. Yes, they managed to get some guest stars (foreshadowing for what would come in 2012/13?) Yes, I'm sure a good amount of the attendees-- politicians and whoever else-- are genuine fans. But it doesn't feel that way when you realize it's an audience all decked out in business attire, fancy dresses, and dress shoes.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 14, 2021 17:19

Despite the truth of the above, I submit this as more than adequate redemption. The best damn thing on YouToob!

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: July 14, 2021 17:35

I still like you got the silver from SAL

thumbs upRe: Do you cringe at rewatching Shine A Light today?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 14, 2021 17:36

SomeTorontoGirl
Despite the truth of the above, I submit this as more than adequate redemption.

thumbs up The Guy segment is the best/most alive thing from the film. The rest is as "exciting" as unwrapping cellophaned ham.
And Marty depsite all his talent couldn't inject any life/blood in the thing.

He did one thing right though : focusing the camera work on Charlie during ADTL. That was a good idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-14 17:43 by dcba.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 14, 2021 17:40

I remember being appalled when we saw it in the cinema. It surely hasn't aged at all. Really their worst performance, and knowing now that Keith still was recovering from a double seizure it never should have been released.

Mathijs

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 14, 2021 17:54

Mixed emotions.

Clueless blondes in the front row don't bother me.

The Clintons do. No point in having them in the film.

The 'dynamic' mix I liked then and still like now.

Guests are completely useless.

Scorsese & Robert Richardson's work on the photography is nothing less than stellar.

What I love about the film is how well it portrays the contrast between the frail visuals these great old performers - the the camera indulges on every single wrinkle - and the sheer power of the music that they still make.

It's moving.

C

Date: July 14, 2021 17:59

All Down The Line and a couple of others are good. Otherwise, it's not their best live album, to put it mildly.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: July 14, 2021 18:00

Cringe, no, I find most of it enjoyable but I do skip over certain parts, especially the beginning with the Clintons

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 14, 2021 18:17

Karma.

They f***ed their fans who traveled to Atlantic City to be told at the last minute that the show was canceled so they could do the show at the beacon for their model/Clintons audience. A low point in their history all around

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 14, 2021 18:17

DandelionPowderman
All Down The Line and a couple of others are good. Otherwise, it's not their best live album, to put it mildly.

I invite you to give it a re-listen!

If you exclude the guest spots (or maybe save only the Buddy Guy one), and a bunch of indeed sleepy retentions (shattered, some girls, Imagination to name a few), I find it a very good album, with quite a few really great moments.

Hell, even I'm free is somehow listenable!

C

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 14, 2021 18:25

Rokyfan
Karma.

They f***ed their fans who traveled to Atlantic City to be told at the last minute that the show was canceled so they could do the show at the beacon for their model/Clintons audience. A low point in their history all around

Stupid political comment. Grow up

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 14, 2021 18:25

Cringe? No .I love the performances of She Was Hot, All Down the Line, Loving Cup, Live With Me,and Just My Imagination.It just lacks a furious closing number like Jack Flash from Flashpoint or of course their greatestlive closing song, Street Fighting Man from 1972-73.

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: July 14, 2021 18:29

Not at all. I was there, had a great time, and enjoy seeing it again.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: July 14, 2021 19:00

I think it's great. The song with Buddy Guy alone is worth the films existence.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 14, 2021 19:01

It was terrible when released, and even worse when thinking back on it.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 14, 2021 19:01

Cooltoplady
Rokyfan
Karma.

No not political. I’m just aware because my brother was one who that happened to. Wasted a lot of money for nothing like a lot of other fans.

Nothing political. You’re just not aware of what happened.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 14, 2021 19:10

Yes.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 14, 2021 19:11

Rokyfan
Cooltoplady
Rokyfan
Karma.

No not political. I’m just aware because my brother was one who that happened to. Wasted a lot of money for nothing like a lot of other fans.

It's just not true. The Atlantic City concert had to be rescheduled because Mick had laryngitis. The SAL concerts were already scheduled after the Atlantic City concert and a whole film crew booked so it was not possible to reschedule Atlantic City immediately and they had to take the next free slot they could get.
Of course it's annoying if something like that happenes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-14 19:12 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 14, 2021 19:22

I and three friends attended the premier in San Francisco. We all got up and left about halfway through. There was much better stuff to watch out on the streets. I expected as much and was proven to be correct.

jb

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 14, 2021 19:27

SomeTorontoGirl
Despite the truth of the above, I submit this as more than adequate redemption. The best damn thing on YouToob!

Love this part

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 14, 2021 19:36

Rokyfan
Karma.

Yes , as I was looking forward to the Boardwalk Hall concert until we were checking in to our hotel and we had to be told by some folks in the elevator that the show was cancelled (they were in town for the Shriners ) What an awful rainy miserable evening that was after the long ride there . The only saving grace for us was we got the call that we were in for the first night at the Beacon for the Clinton Foundation and the rest is history . I believe Atlantic City 2006 was the first NO SHOW for me in my many years of following the Stones around . This is still a sore spot and conjures bad memories from Atlantic City 2006 which was on a Friday night during the final game of the World Series which was one by the Cardinals beating the Tigers . Spent the night of the show in the Hard Rock watching some band and a Halloween costume show .

Date: July 14, 2021 19:44

Now you can't really complain about a cancelled stadium show when you were in fact AT the Beacon

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: July 14, 2021 19:52

jbwelda
I and three friends attended the premier in San Francisco. We all got up and left about halfway through. There was much better stuff to watch out on the streets. I expected as much and was proven to be correct.

jb

I think if I was enough of a fan to be going to the premiere and posting here I would like it enough to at least stay and not be always suffering so much that it required me to leave.

It is definitely not that bad.

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: July 14, 2021 20:01

StonedRambler
Rokyfan
Cooltoplady
Rokyfan
Karma.

It's just not true. The Atlantic City concert had to be rescheduled because Mick had laryngitis. The SAL concerts were already scheduled after the Atlantic City concert and a whole film crew booked so it was not possible to reschedule Atlantic City immediately and they had to take the next free slot they could get.
Of course it's annoying if something like that happenes...

I disagree. They postponed AC because the following Beacon movie shoots were more important to them. Yes, Mick's voice was fragile then, but I believe it was a business decision to postpone AC to ensure Mick could do the scheduled movie shoots. Mick has performed several times with voice issues, including the second Desert Trip and Vegas afterward (when he had a serious issue, with the first Vegas concert cancelled, and Keith having to do three songs at the second).

I flew more than halfway across the US to go to AC, for nothing (except at least there was a fun Shidoobee mourning get together that evening). The Stones shafted their AC fans in favor of the movie. That's why I've never watched the movie and never will.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 14, 2021 20:02

I only saw the film once at the cinema when it came out.
I enjoyed it overall, the performances were brilliant, the guest appearances were alright for me (let me confess I even liked Live With Me featuring Christina Aguilera, kind of precursor of their 50 & Counting U.S. leg) — but there were certainly some cringeworthy moments.
Above all, the overall theatricality was embarrassing — especially that silly setlist fuss. Too much pretentiousness there.

Date: July 14, 2021 20:04

TheGreek
Rokyfan
Karma.

Yes , as I was looking forward to the Boardwalk Hall concert until we were checking in to our hotel and we had to be told by some folks in the elevator that the show was cancelled (they were in town for the Shriners ) What an awful rainy miserable evening that was after the long ride there . The only saving grace for us was we got the call that we were in for the first night at the Beacon for the Clinton Foundation and the rest is history . I believe Atlantic City 2006 was the first NO SHOW for me in my many years of following the Stones around . This is still a sore spot and conjures bad memories from Atlantic City 2006 which was on a Friday night during the final game of the World Series which was one by the Cardinals beating the Tigers . Spent the night of the show in the Hard Rock watching some band and a Halloween costume show .

My husband and I drove back 2 weeks later for the rescheduled show It was a 12 hour drive. In fact that was a picture of us on the front cover of the Atlantic City newspaper the day after the cancellation. Well the make up show was one of the best Stones concerts I ever saw.
And remember this was a week after Mick’s Dad had died

Date: July 14, 2021 20:05

The virtue of the general greatness of Stones performances is the saving grace of the film. You'll find some of that in any of their performances. It's just surprising how Scorsese managed to screw up everything else so thoroughly from the set-up to post-production. He didn't pass on a single wrong choice to make. Starting with declining their offer to film them on the beach in Rio...

Date: July 14, 2021 20:06

Mathijs
I remember being appalled when we saw it in the cinema. It surely hasn't aged at all. Really their worst performance, and knowing now that Keith still was recovering from a double seizure it never should have been released.

Mathijs

Sometimes I’m appalled at the BS you write

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1112
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home