Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Question: Time Waits for No One.. Ever done live?
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 15, 2021 15:54

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
More Hot Rocks
rollingrichard
I adore the song, really. So much Mick Taylor in there, and Jagger's vocals are wonderfull there as well.

However, I do not think that the song would work in a stadium.

A small club gig, sure, but not in a stadium. I'm afraid that the song is too fragile for a stadium, and people would not be patient enough to listen to the solo's.

In fact it's too delicate, too beautiful for a stadium, in my opinion

They have done Moonlight Mile and people were in awe

Those are two very different songs (no extended solos on MM, for instance), though, and MM is the superior one, imo.

However, I can't see why it would be hard to do TWFNO live. It's easier to play than MM.

Exactly. It is a fantastic song, but indeed not very hard to play, including the solo. That said, when Taylor returned to the live Stones in 2012 his playing was just very disappointing. It appeared like he was totally unrehearsed, barely knowing the songs he played.

Concerning the studio version -bear in mind that Taylor plays the incredible solo, but that all the other guitars, including acoustics, multiple electrics and the electric lead guitar during the turn-arounds at the end of the verses are Keith.

Mathijs

Taylor plays the acoustic guitar and Jagger is on record that Taylor threw some chords in. Even Taylor said there are chords in the song the Stones don’t usually use, like a major 7. So I’m not sure where you’re getting your information because it is contrary to what the players have said. Also there is an electric rhythm guitar from basic tracking which is probably Taylor as well and the solo was an overdub.

I believe Richards came up with the riff and Taylor and Jagger wrote the rest of this song from there. Richards would never play a counterpoint to a melody after the vocals were done, it’s much more likely Jagger wrote the lyrics after the riff was laid down.

Date: July 15, 2021 16:02

Can You Hear the Music? and Time Waits for No One were my particular riff but got taken up by others in the band. Those songs got turned into something I didn't even imagine. Whereas something like Angie turned out pretty much as I expected.

- Keith Richards, 1974-75

Date: July 15, 2021 19:24

TravelinMan
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
More Hot Rocks
rollingrichard
I adore the song, really. So much Mick Taylor in there, and Jagger's vocals are wonderfull there as well.

A small club gig, sure, but not in a stadium. I'm afraid that the song is too fragile for a stadium, and people would not be patient enough to listen to the solo's.

Those are two very different songs (no extended solos on MM, for instance), though, and MM is the superior one, imo.

However, I can't see why it would be hard to do TWFNO live. It's easier to play than MM.

Exactly. It is a fantastic song, but indeed not very hard to play, including the solo. That said, when Taylor returned to the live Stones in 2012 his playing was just very disappointing. It appeared like he was totally unrehearsed, barely knowing the songs he played.

Concerning the studio version -bear in mind that Taylor plays the incredible solo, but that all the other guitars, including acoustics, multiple electrics and the electric lead guitar during the turn-arounds at the end of the verses are Keith.

Mathijs

Taylor plays the acoustic guitar and Jagger is on record that Taylor threw some chords in. Even Taylor said there are chords in the song the Stones don’t usually use, like a major 7. So I’m not sure where you’re getting your information because it is contrary to what the players have said. Also there is an electric rhythm guitar from basic tracking which is probably Taylor as well and the solo was an overdub.

I believe Richards came up with the riff and Taylor and Jagger wrote the rest of this song from there. Richards would never play a counterpoint to a melody after the vocals were done, it’s much more likely Jagger wrote the lyrics after the riff was laid down.

I don't think Taylor said he played those F and C major chords, only that he soloed over them. Btw, his statement is puzzling, as when we listen more closely to those chords, they are plain F and C chords, with some classic Keith-figures in-between. So I think Mathijs is right this time. And aren't the acoustic licks a bit too 'shaky' to be Taylor?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-15 20:09 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 15, 2021 19:34

I’ll listen in a minute. But which chords are Jagger referring to? What did Taylor play on the basic tracks?

People forget the Stones recorded as a live band most of the time, that is, as many instruments as possible being recorded at once. Taylor said they nailed this tune in two takes. The solo sounds like an overdub, so what did he ply on a song he is on record of saying he “co-wrote”? Richards said the very same song was taken up by other members of the band. Jagger, in his typical downplaying fashion, said Taylor threw in some chords.

I’m going with primary sources here.

Date: July 15, 2021 19:55

I hear Taylor in the right channel from the very beginning on electric guitar, including the break he goes right back into his rhythm part hitting partial chords. The acoustic is playing similar partial chords.

Date: July 15, 2021 20:13

TravelinMan
I hear Taylor in the right channel from the very beginning on electric guitar, including the break he goes right back into his rhythm part hitting partial chords. The acoustic is playing similar partial chords.

Taylor right and Keith left. While Taylor solos Keith plays regular chords and some licks/partial chords. He could have meant Hopkins? Then again, he's all over the place with those arpeggios smiling smiley

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 15, 2021 20:34

Taylor right and Keith left. While Taylor solos Keith plays regular chords and some licks/partial chords. He could have meant Hopkins? Then again, he's all over the place with those arpeggios smiling smiley[/quote]

My one concern about them attempting TWFNO live - no so much how Ronnie would handle it, but what Chuck might do with it at the end. :-)

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 15, 2021 20:39

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
More Hot Rocks
rollingrichard

Mathijs

There are no turn around chords in the verses. Just to minor chords that lead into the chorus. Get your theory straight

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-16 06:09 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 15, 2021 21:20

More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
More Hot Rocks
rollingrichard

Mathijs

There are no turn around chords in the verses. Just to minor chords that lead into the chorus. Get youtheory straight
. If Taylor played badly then Wood and Richards played abysmally.Show me on what songs Wood and Richards played great.For their ages maybe great but nowhere as good as when they were 30 years old.And Taylor had little time to rehearse or warm up on stage.And I humbly disagree with you Mathis because you are a lot more knowledgeable about guitar playing than me, but to my ears their were songs where Taylor did play great like Can’t You Hear Me Knocking at Glastonbury video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: July 15, 2021 21:52

My own (very bad) recording on a mobile, back in 2006 I believe. Ochtend, the Netherlands

[youtu.be]

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 16, 2021 04:00

Taylor’s guitar play goes without saying, you can’t talk about this song leaving out Nicky Hopkins’ piano...a flow of shimmering beauty and one of his best contributions recorded for the Stones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 16, 2021 13:35

jahisnotdead
treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
Wow. Says a lot.

A song like this would probably be the best song ever written/recorded for most bands and a staple in concert.

There's lots of Stones songs that haven't been played live that I would like to hear. I don't believe songs like Out of Time or What To Do have ever been played live?

For sure...Out of Time gets mentioned a lot. I don't think Slave has, would love to hear that.

And Dance...I heard a recording of Ronnie doing it in a club and Mick jumping in and joining as a surprise guest.

They've definitely played Dance, it's on the Four Flicks theater show disc, in Paris. AMAZING set list on that show.

RIGHT!

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 16, 2021 16:22

The played Dance at the (few thousand) Boston Orpheum as well. Right after Parachute Woman! Greatest of my 39 Stones shows.

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 16, 2021 16:38

DEmerson
The played Dance at the (few thousand) Boston Orpheum as well. Right after Parachute Woman! Greatest of my 39 Stones shows.

[www.setlist.fm]

What a setlist!!! So jealous!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 17, 2021 16:03

NashvilleBlues
DEmerson

[www.setlist.fm]

What a setlist!!! So jealous!

Yes, that is amazing, YGMR notwithstanding.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 17, 2021 17:12

Ronnie ain’t the man to play TWFNO,just like he wasn’t the man for CYHMK.Arise Sir Mick T.
The boys only allowed him to play again on limited songs live.For two reasons :
Financial and his superior talent to Ronnie

Date: July 17, 2021 19:20

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

Taylor right and Keith left. While Taylor solos Keith plays regular chords and some licks/partial chords. He could have meant Hopkins? Then again, he's all over the place with those arpeggios smiling smiley

Yeah good point. The way Hopkins plays it’s as if the maj7 chords are implied. I’d have to listen again to exactly what the acoustic is playing.

Maybe I’ll pop on the original record later.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: July 18, 2021 18:46

Most fans would disagree about his playing. The audience was blown away. To my ears his playing only improved as the tour xontinued. If he was "totally unreleased" as you say imgine his playing if he was"totally rehearsed".

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2145
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home