Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Question: Time Waits for No One.. Ever done live?
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 14, 2021 15:43

I’m sure this has been asked before - but did the Stones ever play Time Waits for No One live? I don’t think so, but hope to be proven wrong.
It’s such a great song - musically, lyrically - and would be number one on my dream list of songs I’d love to see them add to the set list. Wishful thinking I’m sure, but who knows.

Re: Question: Time Waits for No One.. Ever done live?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 14, 2021 16:05

DEmerson

I’m sure this has been asked before - but did the Stones ever play Time Waits for No One live?

Doesn't look like - [TimeIsOnOurSide.com] .

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 14, 2021 16:08

Never performed live.Get Mick T on board again and let's do it

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2021 16:12

Wow. Says a lot.

A song like this would probably be the best song ever written/recorded for most bands and a staple in concert.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 14, 2021 16:54

Taylor has played it live on a number of occasions. Seems whomever he was playing with pushed for it because he never sings it.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 14, 2021 17:21

One of my favorite covers of the song featuring MT.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: July 14, 2021 17:22

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 14, 2021 18:05

Such a sublime song...that they have never picked it for a live performance remains one of the biggest mysteries through the Stones’ concert history, at least for me.

They should have played it live for the 50 & Counting and 14 On Fire tours, allowing Taylor to take the lead guitar. Highlight of the show guaranteed and must have caused a huge sensation. A missed opportunity.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 14, 2021 18:28

Such a sublime song

Star-crossed in pleasure
The stream flows on by
As we're sated in leisure
We watch it fly

And Time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me
	And Time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me

Time can tear down a building
Or destroy a woman's face
Hours are like diamonds
Don't let them waste

Time waits for no man, and it won't wait for me
	Time waits for no one, and it won't wait for thee

Drink in your summer
Gather your corn
The dreams of the nighttime
Will vanish by dawn

But Time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me
	Time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-14 18:30 by schillid.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: July 14, 2021 18:57

There has always been the rumour that the played it in San Antonio 1975. But since there is no recording available, we can't be sure. Freezer (RIP) once said he taped it but refused to share the tape. He may has started the rumour but I'm not sure.

Short while ago, 1-2 years, there was someone on social media who was there and he couldn't remember if they played it or not. He didn't seem to be into the setlist issue, so I don't think he would have realised they played a rarity there (IF they did).

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 14, 2021 19:11

falo01
There has always been the rumour that the played it in San Antonio 1975. But since there is no recording available, we can't be sure. Freezer (RIP) once said he taped it but refused to share the tape. He may has started the rumour but I'm not sure.

Short while ago, 1-2 years, there was someone on social media who was there and he couldn't remember if they played it or not. He didn't seem to be into the setlist issue, so I don't think he would have realised they played a rarity there (IF they did).

Looks like they most likely didn’t play it in San Antonio in 1975.

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: July 14, 2021 20:38

I adore the song, really. So much Mick Taylor in there, and Jagger's vocals are wonderfull there as well.

However, I do not think that the song would work in a stadium.

A small club gig, sure, but not in a stadium. I'm afraid that the song is too fragile for a stadium, and people would not be patient enough to listen to the solo's.

In fact it's too delicate, too beautiful for a stadium, in my opinion.

Date: July 14, 2021 21:10

Mick Taylor did some live interpretations that did not sound very inspired, imo.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 14, 2021 21:39

[www.youtube.com]

Sounds nice. His ascending and desending licks not as haunting as studio but nice live,

Mick Taylor and Band - Time waits for no one 1986

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 14, 2021 21:52

Maybe they would have done it on the1975 tour if Taylor had not quit.Maybe as a replacement for You Can’t Always Get What You Want

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 14, 2021 22:01

treaclefingers
Wow. Says a lot.

A song like this would probably be the best song ever written/recorded for most bands and a staple in concert.

There's lots of Stones songs that haven't been played live that I would like to hear. I don't believe songs like Out of Time or What To Do have ever been played live?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2021 22:50

DGA35
treaclefingers
Wow. Says a lot.

There's lots of Stones songs that haven't been played live that I would like to hear. I don't believe songs like Out of Time or What To Do have ever been played live?

For sure...Out of Time gets mentioned a lot. I don't think Slave has, would love to hear that.

And Dance...I heard a recording of Ronnie doing it in a club and Mick jumping in and joining as a surprise guest.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: July 14, 2021 23:25

It may be one of MT's uncredited compositions. It was around the time he left. However, I have no idea and speculating. It is an amazingly beautiful and melodic song that is so approppo at this stage in their career. It would take MT to make it magic. Probably why they don't attempt it.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 15, 2021 00:06

PhillyFAN
It may be one of MT's uncredited compositions. It was around the time he left. However, I have no idea and speculating. It is an amazingly beautiful and melodic song that is so approppo at this stage in their career. It would take MT to make it magic. Probably why they don't attempt it.

Respectfully disagree.
It's primarily the vocals (and lyrics) that make the song amazingly beautiful and melodic.

It would take MJ really getting into it to make it magical, which I have no doubt he could.
Especially live.. say on a "B" stage..

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 15, 2021 02:42

treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
Wow. Says a lot.

For sure...Out of Time gets mentioned a lot. I don't think Slave has, would love to hear that.

And Dance...I heard a recording of Ronnie doing it in a club and Mick jumping in and joining as a surprise guest.

They've definitely played Dance, it's on the Four Flicks theater show disc, in Paris. AMAZING set list on that show.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 15, 2021 02:45

I thought I heard the reason they don't do Time Waits For No One is because Taylor wrote a significant amount of it and didn't get songwriting credit. Was that a real story or just my imagination running away with me?

Date: July 15, 2021 04:26

rollingrichard
I adore the song, really. So much Mick Taylor in there, and Jagger's vocals are wonderfull there as well.

A small club gig, sure, but not in a stadium. I'm afraid that the song is too fragile for a stadium, and people would not be patient enough to listen to the solo's.

In fact it's too delicate, too beautiful for a stadium, in my opinion.

I can understand the points you make. I had been dying to hear She’s A Rainbow performed live for years and years, and when my wish finally came true in Edinburgh 2018, I was delighted but at the same time somewhat disappointed by the song’s delivery. It lacked much of the delicacy and frail beauty the original studio version was tinged with. Put it simply, it doesn’t work live, especially in a big stadium setting.
That being said, in case of TWFNO, I’d say it’s a different animal. It’s a beautiful ballad, no less so than She’s A Rainbow — but Taylor’s mesmerizing as well as enchanting guitar work, reminiscent of Carlos Santana here, coupled with the dramatic ascending chord progression towards the end, elevates this song to a whole new level, ballad-cum-guitar rock, so to speak. I could get a picture of a stadium full of crowds being fascinated by its beauty and dynamism going together.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 15, 2021 04:30

Mick Taylor closes his first solo album with the ascending lick from Times Waits For No One at the end of Spanish/A Minor

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 15, 2021 04:53

rollingrichard

In fact it's too delicate, too beautiful for a stadium, in my opinion

They have done Moonlight Mile and people were in awe

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 15, 2021 07:27

RisingStone
Such a sublime song...that they have never picked it for a live performance remains one of the biggest mysteries through the Stones’ concert history, at least for me.

They should have played it live for the 50 & Counting and 14 On Fire tours, allowing Taylor to take the lead guitar. Highlight of the show guaranteed and must have caused a huge sensation. A missed opportunity.

They could barely play Silver Train yet alone CYHMK and quite a few others.

By no means have the 1994 onward Rolling Stones been capable of playing those songs yet alone Time Waits For No One.

Mystery solved: they can't.

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: July 15, 2021 09:17

One of their greatest songs ever (music and lyrics). It'a pity they never tried a live rendition of it like they did with Fingerprint file during the 1975 US tour.

Date: July 15, 2021 12:39

GasLightStreet
RisingStone

They could barely play Silver Train yet alone CYHMK and quite a few others.

By no means have the 1994 onward Rolling Stones been capable of playing those songs yet alone Time Waits For No One.

Mystery solved: they can't.

Why 1994 onward?
Do you mean, they could have been capable of playing TWFNO and “those songs” in 89-90 during the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tours for example? Your reasoning is vague to me.

Date: July 15, 2021 13:59

More Hot Rocks
rollingrichard

Those are two very different songs (no extended solos on MM, for instance), though, and MM is the superior one, imo.

However, I can't see why it would be hard to do TWFNO live. It's easier to play than MM.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2021 14:34

For next live shows ...

Bring Mick Taylor back into band
and just do like a two hour version
of Time Waits For No One for entire show ....

Save worrying about set list ... back up singers ... intos etc etc

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 15, 2021 15:22

DandelionPowderman
More Hot Rocks
rollingrichard

Those are two very different songs (no extended solos on MM, for instance), though, and MM is the superior one, imo.

However, I can't see why it would be hard to do TWFNO live. It's easier to play than MM.

Exactly. It is a fantastic song, but indeed not very hard to play, including the solo. That said, when Taylor returned to the live Stones in 2012 his playing was just very disappointing. It appeared like he was totally unrehearsed, barely knowing the songs he played.

Concerning the studio version -bear in mind that Taylor plays the incredible solo, but that all the other guitars, including acoustics, multiple electrics and the electric lead guitar during the turn-arounds at the end of the verses are Keith.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1764
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home