Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Anyone a Fan of Laura Nyro?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 12, 2021 14:34

Fun Fact #1: On December 6, 1969, the day the Stones played Altamont, three of her songs, recorded by other people (Wedding Bell Blues, And When I Die, and Eli's Coming) were all in the Top 10 of the Billboard singles chart.

Fun Fact #2: She wrote and recorded her own versions of every one of her songs that would ever be a hit for another artist by the time she was 20 years old.

I've always said that one of these days, I'll have to sit down and give a listen to everything she ever did. I'm finally doing that now.

Re: OT: Anyone a Fan of Laura Nyro?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 12, 2021 14:55

8-LP vinyl box set - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 12, 2021 17:24

What a gifted artist. Most of us probably know about her, if at all, through the cover versions of her songs. I believe, if I remember right, there's a number of live recordings of her on Dime. Her albums are wonderful discoveries. Here's some links about a cover album of her songs which is a superb album and good intro to her music.

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 12, 2021 17:54

Monterey Pop Festival. June 17, 1967. She went on right after the Byrds and right before Jefferson Airplane. She was nineteen years old.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 12, 2021 18:01

Her only appearance on television. January 15, 1969.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: July 12, 2021 23:10

I saw an interview with Todd Rundgren where he said Laura's "Eli and the Thirteenth Confession" (1968) was an all-time classic. So...I bought it, and it is very good. It reminded me quite a bit of Todd Rundgren's early 70s albums....

Date: July 12, 2021 23:21

KSIE
I saw an interview with Todd Rundgren where he said Laura's "Eli and the Thirteenth Confession" (1968) was an all-time classic. So...I bought it, and it is very good. It reminded me quite a bit of Todd Rundgren's early 70s albums....

Yes, Todd has said that the Eli album was a major influence on his songwriting. Listening to it now, I definitely hear how he incorporated little bits and pieces of Laura's work into his own songs without actually plagiarizing anything. Still, I won't be able to hear Something/Anything? in quite the same way ever again. There's things on that album, certain melodies and chord progressions that I once thought were the mark of a genius, and now I listen to it and I just think, "He got that from Laura!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-12 23:25 by tatters.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: July 12, 2021 23:51

Yes - S/A is very Nyro-esque!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 13, 2021 00:22

Loved her.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: July 13, 2021 01:56

I have to say that I've never heard her name. What a discovery ! Thanks for sharing. Maybe she is more well known in the US than in Europe ?

Date: July 13, 2021 02:51

djgab
I have to say that I've never heard her name. What a discovery ! Thanks for sharing. Maybe she is more well known in the US than in Europe ?

I'm sure that's true. Barbra Streisand's cover of "Stoney End" was a minor UK hit in 1971, but other than Babs, I'm not sure anyone in Europe would be familiar with any of the artists who covered Laura's songs. Even the 5th Dimension, a hugely popular act in America, whose unique style of "champagne soul" dominated the US charts from 1967 to 1972 (and who recorded no fewer than eight of Nyro's songs) barely made a dent in the UK charts. Only two minor hits, one of which was Laura's "Wedding Bell Blues."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-13 02:55 by tatters.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: July 13, 2021 02:57

The only hit I know from 5th Dimension is "Aquarius" from Hair.
An other example could be Maria Muldaur, barely known in Europe. What a voice too.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 13, 2021 05:57

"I Met Him on a Sunday" is good.

I like Bob Dylan's version, too.

Date: July 13, 2021 14:28

Laura's version of "Stoney End" recorded on July 13, 1966 when she was eighteen years old.

[www.youtube.com]

And Barbra Streisand's hit version from 1971. The best thing Babs has ever done, imo.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-13 14:34 by tatters.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 14, 2021 04:30

for you tatters .........

MOJO 333 ---- August 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 14, 2021 04:52

Rockman, thanks for the post with the review of Nyro's albums. It brought back to me that, like many artists, Nyro's work demands something of you. I can't say I like every thing she did, but she made me listen, pay attention, follow her in her saying I have something I'm trying to convey. Beside, in the popular realm, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, I don't see anyone else doing the same as Nyro did or tried to do in her music.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 14, 2021 04:53

Yes she's been a hidden gem. Always been a fan. Thank you for bring her to peoples attention tatters.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 14, 2021 19:21

Laura Nyro toured Japan only twice, in 1972 and 1994 — the Osaka show of the latter was released under the title, Trees Of The Ages. I saw neither of them, unfortunately.
Despite the moderate popularity and the scarcity of her live outings in the country, Japan seems to have been a sweet spot for her. Sometime in the early 70’s — someone says it was 1971 — she stayed in Kyoto for some lengths of time. Being relatively unknown over there, she enjoyed a life incognito, visiting temples and gardens or relaxing at a favorite cafe. Not many people recognized her.
In November 1975, after finishing recording Smile, she paid a private visit to Japan with friends. The snaps taken there are used for the album cover.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: July 14, 2021 23:31

Some of us remember her music from high school. I was in love with her voice and song writing. She was a genious that never was fully realized. Beautiful soul inside and out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home