Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones - Marquee Club July 12, 1962
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 13, 2021 01:34

>Any rock band would be thrilled to have 6 years of success.

>The Rolling Stones are on their 6th POPE.

You know, they should use that as their slogan and kick back the royalties to you if you indeed made the original observation.

Its pretty brilliant.

jb

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: July 13, 2021 01:40

"MUSIC HISTORY 101
JULY 12, 1962 - The Rolling Stones made their live debut at the Marquee Jazz Club in London, with Dick Taylor on bass (later of The Pretty Things), Mick Avory on drums, (later of The Kinks), and Ian Stewart on piano. Some fans contend that early drummer Tony Chapman (who also played drums with future Stones bassist Bill Wyman in The Cliftons during that period) was there instead, but Richards insists in his 2010 memoir "Life" that it was his friend Avory. Billed as "The Rollin’ Stones", they were paid £20 ($34.25) for the gig, the equivalent of £330 ($566) in 2010.

During the late spring and early summer of 1962 Mick Jagger and Keith Richards would catch the train from Dartford to London, where they nurtured dreams of forming a blues band.

They always visited the Marquee Club on Oxford Street where Mick, on a few occasions, sat in to sing a few blues songs with Alexis Korner’s Blues Incorporated. Playing drums with Alexis was one Charlie Watts.

Brian Jones, Ian Stewart, Mick and Keith along with whoever else they could find to play some Rhythm & Blues were soon rehearsing a set of favorites at The Bricklayers Arms Pub in Soho’s Broadwick Street, just a stone’s throw away from Oxford Street.

Their luck changed when The Blues Incorporated were offered a slot on BBC Radio’s Jazz Club program on July 12, 1962, so the Marquee’s owner, Harold Pendleton booked this new four piece band to deputize for Korner’s group on this historic night.

Needing a name, quickly, so the club could advertise their appearance they came up with The Rollin’ Stones, lifted from a song by their hero Muddy Waters. Jazz News carried the band’s line up for their first show: Mick Jagger (vocals harmonica), Keith Richards (guitars) Elmo Lewis a.k.a. Brian Jones (guitars), Dick Taylor (bass), Ian "Stu" Stewart (piano), & Mick Avory (drums).

Brian Jones was calling himself Elmo Lewis, Elmo, after his hero Elmore James, and Lewis being his first name: Lewis Brian Hopkin Jones.

The band were officially billed as "Mick Jagger and the Rollin' Stones", although the lead vocalist was by no means their most compelling personality. Jagger, his Dartford Grammar schoolfriend Keith Richards, and the self-styled "Cheltenham Shagger" Brian Jones (who had recently come up with the group's name) were the front line. Jagger, who was still a student at the London School of Economics, wore a striped sweater and corduroys; Richards a funereally dark suit; while Jones pogoed up and down, leering at the women. Behind them was the already comically deadpan rhythm section, which for now comprised Richards' art-school friend Dick Taylor on bass and the future Kinks drummer Mick Avory, who sat in for the night. Jagger and Richards were 18 and living at home; Jones was 20.

Ian Stewart, a 23-year-old shipping clerk, stood off to the side, eating a pork pie with one hand and playing piano in a loping, barrel-house style with the other. According to the band’s handwritten set list for that first gig (penned by Stewart in his appointment diary) they played songs by their heroes Jimmy Reed, Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry.

SETLIST:
1) Kansas City (Little Willie Littlefield)

2) Baby What's Wrong (Jimmy Reed)

3) Confessin' the Blues (Jay McShann)

4) Bright Lights, Big City (Jimmy Reed)

5) I Believe I'll Dust My Broom (Robert Johnson)

6) Down the Road a Piece (Will Bradley)

7) I Want You to Love Me (Muddy Waters)

8) Bad Boy (Eddie Taylor cover)

9) I Ain't Got You (Billy Boy Arnold)

10) Hush Hush (Jimmy Reed)

11) Ride 'Em on Down (Jimmy Reed)

12) Back in the U.S.A. (Chuck Berry)

13) Kind of Lonesome (Jimmy Reed)

14) Blues Before Sunrise (Leroy Carr)

15) Big Boss Man (Jimmy Reed )

16) Don't Stay Out All Night (Billy Boy Arnold)

17) Tell Me That You Love Me (Paul Anka)

18) Happy Home (Elmore James)

JOIN MUSIC HISTORY 101!
Learn exciting facts about the artists you love and read about some of the fascinating and often bittersweet events that surround them and their careers.

[www.facebook.com];

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: July 13, 2021 02:09

Ha! Thanks jb. I'll cop to the "observation" but no royalties required, thanks.

My friends and I first held a July 12th party/concert for the 26th anniversary in Long Beach, CA. Response was so overwhelming we did it again for the 50th.And then again for the 55th.

Here's hoping the band will be touring next July 12th and I won't have to find my guitar tuner.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: July 13, 2021 07:50

Steen G
Mick Jaggerand the Rolling Stones - I wonder why that never has been told that much before.

The billing of Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones, was used because Jagger had press prior to the bands first gig. So the club thought to use this to have
more people come to the show. Oddly Long John Baldry's K.C. Blue Boys
who were known got second billing??
I spoke with Mick Avory and also got a letter from him explaining
what his involvement with the Stones was. He said he only did two/three rehearsals with band and then got a call from Stu saying their drummer has rejoined the band and he (Avory) would not be needed, for the gig the next night. He also said in the letter that the drummer Stu mentioned was Tony Chapman The first time Chapman saw the Stones play live was on Ready Steady Go
with the Kinks on the same show.
The announcement that mentioned Avory's name in the paper was placed a week before Chapman returned, that's why Avory's name appeared as the drummer for the gig to late to change it to Chapman. In my speaking with Chapman he recalls doing that first gig after being away and not at some of the rehearsals before
that show.

BTW The band's name is from the Muddy Water's track Manish Boy
not from his song Rollin Stone.
Also the story that they came up
with the name of the band on the spot while on a payphone call when the club asked what the band's name was did not happen.
Lots of things about the Stones history in 1962 needs correction.
Also BTW the Stones first contacted Sydney Paine to be their drummer but Sydney was much older and recommended his son's friend a drummer Mick Avory would be a better fit. That's how Avory got contacted by Stu.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 13, 2021 09:48

U2Stonesfan
(Edits applied to omit text)

During the late spring and early summer of 1962 Mick Jagger and Keith Richards would catch the train from Dartford to London, where they nurtured dreams of forming a blues band.

They always visited the Marquee Club on Oxford Street where Mick, on a few occasions, sat in to sing a few blues songs with Alexis Korner’s Blues Incorporated. Playing drums with Alexis was one Charlie Watts.

Brian Jones, Ian Stewart, Mick and Keith along with whoever else they could find to play some Rhythm & Blues were soon rehearsing a set of favorites at The Bricklayers Arms Pub in Soho’s Broadwick Street, just a stone’s throw away from Oxford Street.

The band were officially billed as "Mick Jagger and the Rollin' Stones", although the lead vocalist was by no means their most compelling personality. Jagger, his Dartford Grammar schoolfriend Keith Richards,

JOIN MUSIC HISTORY 101!
Learn exciting facts about the artists you love and read about some of the fascinating and often bittersweet events that surround them and their careers.

[www.facebook.com];

Proof, as if any intelligent person ever needed it, that you really should not believe everything you read on Facebook.

Late spring and early Summer. Nope. October.
Always visited the Marquee. Often, yes, but "Always" - nope.
Grammar School Friend. Keef did NOT attend a Grammar School.
Music 101. Gets a fail mark

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: July 13, 2021 10:41

..I have never seen a Tony Chapman interview...!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2082
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home