Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones at their Apex(es)
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: July 10, 2021 20:08

They have obviously had more than one. Name two or three keeping it to a two year span.

1965-1966 - proved they were more than a one night stand.

1971-1972 - proved they are the greatest rock band in the world.

1980-1981 - proved they are (still) the greatest rock band in the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-15 01:44 by 2000 LYFH.

Re: The Stones at their Apex(s)
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 10, 2021 20:15

As an American I always noted their every three year American tours from '69 forward as being what matters. It wasn't until I got The Brussels Affair that I realized the 1973 European Tour was the zenith of their career. Everything that came after was a step down in energy and musicianship. That doesn't mean they weren't still good. At least through 1999.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 10, 2021 20:29

63-64
65-66
67-68
69-70
71-72
73-74
78-79
80-81
82-83
89-90
94-95
98-99
2001-2002
2005-2006
2012-2013
2014-2015
2016-2017
2018-2019

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 10, 2021 21:14

71-72 they were at the summit of Mt. Rock. They've managed to keep the inevitable decline to a slow rate. I've said this before but for me the dividing line is the amount of Keith backing vocals. So, 81-82 which sadly coincides with the passing of Ian Stewart. Things were never the same after he died. They're still capable of doing a great show but it's hit & miss at times.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 12, 2021 14:05

treaclefingers

63-64
·
·
·
2018-2019

In two words: 1962-2022.

12-Jul-2021: one year to go for the 60th Anniversary .... smileys with beer

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 14:29

2000 LYFH
They have obviously had more than one. Name two or three keeping it to a two year span.

1965-1966 - proved they were more than a one night stand.

1971-1972 - proved they are the greatest rock band in the world.

1980-1981 - proved they are (still) the greatest rock band in the world.

And from there on the proved they have been and still are the greatest Rock 'n Roll band in the world. Only they are entitled to say:
Get the f*ck out if here (can't remember which concert that was)
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: July 12, 2021 14:37

Georgie48.........might have been in December 1969 at The Saville Theatre in London ?????

Date: July 12, 2021 14:57

Kingbeebuzz
Georgie48.........might have been in December 1969 at The Saville Theatre in London ?????

Thanks Kingbeebuzz! I'm going to check that!
thumbs up

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 17:22

Madison Square Garden July 1972

Date: July 12, 2021 21:07

Taylor1
Madison Square Garden July 1972

Okay Taylor1, you may know any bootleg recording of that concert? It would help, even though I tend to trust you winking smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 21:17

There were 4 shows at MSG.That whole tour beginning around Charlotte was their live peak IMO.But unfortunately none of the bootlegs in terms ofthe sound quality do justice to that tour.Too bad Glyn Johns didn’t record them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-12 22:13 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: July 12, 2021 21:20

Georgie48.......I think it was Jagger’s comment to journalists either during or at the end of the opening number which was JJF on 14th December 1969. Three songs were filmed and although I haven’t checked I think you can find the film on You Tube. If the film is silent a recording of those 3 songs definitely exists and is probably in The Stones Vault here on iorr.

Hope this helps your search....

Date: July 12, 2021 23:08

Kingbeebuzz
Georgie48.......I think it was Jagger’s comment to journalists either during or at the end of the opening number which was JJF on 14th December 1969. Three songs were filmed and although I haven’t checked I think you can find the film on You Tube. If the film is silent a recording of those 3 songs definitely exists and is probably in The Stones Vault here on iorr.

Hope this helps your search....

Thanks KBB, I found it. You were right to start with. The words were a little different "Get the f*ck outta there". He's says it in the beginning of JJF on a bootleg I have with the same title. Indeed 1969 Seville Theatre, London.
Every time I dive into my CD selection I realise that it's impossible to know everything on the Stones by head. The nice thing about IORR is that we can help eachother. Thanks guys!
smileys with beer

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 14, 2021 01:16

apexes or apices if you want to pluralize.

but the apex is the bridge and the 2-3 bars coming out of the bridge in street fighting man.

Date: July 14, 2021 03:25

Natlanta

but the apex is the bridge and the 2-3 bars coming out of the bridge in street fighting man.

OK, if we're to accept that...what musical sequence would be classified as the absolute nadir of their career.

I would bet one of these three songs:

1. Under the Boardwalk
2. Sing this Song (see what happens)
OR
3. Something off Dirty Work, of which I'm going to go with "Back To Zero" (but full props to Chuck for the writing credit).

and if we're going with all stones-related the runaway winner is of course "Let's Work".

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 14, 2021 04:52

treaclefingers
Natlanta

OK, if we're to accept that...what musical sequence would be classified as the absolute nadir of their career.

1. Under the Boardwalk
OR
3. Something off Dirty Work, of which I'm going to go with "Back To Zero" (but full props to Chuck for the writing credit).

and if we're going with all stones-related the runaway winner is of course "Let's Work".

well I don’t like thread highjackery but i’ll see your let’s work and raise you a sweet neocon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-14 04:52 by Natlanta.

Date: July 14, 2021 05:08

Natlanta
treaclefingers
Natlanta

1. Under the Boardwalk
OR

well I don’t like thread highjackery but i’ll see your let’s work and raise you a sweet neocon.

OK...if we're going there, I'll see your neocon and raise you a 'bare your breasts and make me feel at home', AND add an "Infamy" for good measure.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 14, 2021 08:43

treaclefingers
Natlanta

1. Under the Boardwalk
OR

1. My Girl - why? Recorded at some point during ‘65 and then canned for two years. Was it an LP contender for Out of Our Heads? It’s bloody terrible.

2. Sing This Song (See What Happens) - an in-joke, surely? Stoned musicians enjoying themselves no doubt, but little care towards the potential listener.

3. Suck on the Ju... - whatever it’s correctly titled. It’s on Voodoo Lounge obviously. It’s so unmemorable, I don’t recall the title or melody.

4. Too Rude - shite.

5. Sweet Neo Con - Zzzz

6. Infamy - I ‘get’ the ‘Carry on Cleo’ joke, but it isn’t amusing and it’s one of Keith’s absolute lesser moments.

Date: July 14, 2021 17:18

I might be in the minority here, but I can't really get into the 1971-1972 shows. If I had to list their apexes, I'd go:

1994-1995
2002-2004
2012-2013

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 14, 2021 17:42

24FPS
As an American I always noted their every three year American tours from '69 forward as being what matters.

To their credit they made sure the European part of a tour was different beast from chapter I (= the American part).

70 was different from 69 due to the horn section.
73 was different from 72 due to Billy Preston.
76 was different from 75 due to the B&Blue setlist.
82 was different from 81 due to the speedy vibe and the lack of Ernie Watts.

From 89 on the European tour didn't differ at all from its American counterpart. Gigs became more uniform (alas).

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 14, 2021 18:58

dcba

From 89 on the European tour didn't differ at all from its American counterpart. Gigs became more uniform (alas).

The set-lists get shorter once they hit Europe.

Re: The Stones at their Apex(es)
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 15, 2021 04:47

Roughly 1968-1969, when they wrote most of the songs that appeared on the Big 4 and which have made up the best part of their live shows for decades.

Re: The Stones at their Apex(es)
Date: July 15, 2021 05:47

wonderboy
Roughly 1968-1969, when they wrote most of the songs that appeared on the Big 4 and which have made up the best part of their live shows for decades.

Exceptionally concise and logical point. Excellent and inarguable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home